• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The NBA rookies Thread

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Wednesday the day for Lakers vs. 76ers?

I remember all the convos about who has the best young talent.

I think Minny and Utah were the consensus.

* not so much minus Hayward *

But, people were split on the Lakers and 76ers.

......and the Celtics have leapfrogged a ton of teams, Olidipo and Sabonis, Turner look good too.

Yep Wednesday on ESPN

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck me, when lonzo has a great night the haters over here sure shut the hell up.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get certain lakers fan logic. 2nd time this week that I've seen a lakers fan talk about haters on this board because other fans here on SportsHoopla may have some not so great things to say

If you're honest about their team or a player on their roster, it makes you a hater? That logic is dumb

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a nice performance by Lonzo... against a good defense in Milwaukee, as well... certainly something to be optimistic about.

Let's see how the kid continues to develop. He had a good night earlier in the season, too... (against Phoenix IIRC?)... followed by a reversion back to his rookie normal... let's see if any type of consistency is the next step.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a nice performance by Lonzo... against a good defense in Milwaukee, as well... certainly something to be optimistic about.

Let's see how the kid continues to develop. He had a good night earlier in the season, too... (against Phoenix IIRC?)... followed by a reversion back to his rookie normal... let's see if any type of consistency is the next step.

Well they play Phoenix in 2 of their next 3 games lol.

They actually have a solid schedule for the next week and a half where he should be start some type of consistency.

AT PHX
VS PHI
VS PHX
VS DEN
VS CHI
AT SAC

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phoenix is at least showing a little more life than they did at the beginning of the season... hopefully they come out with pride, too, after Lonzo lit them up the last time they faced.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck me, when lonzo has a great night the haters over here sure shut the hell up.
Or, some could have better things to do on a Saturday that happens to double as a Holiday?

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or, some could have better things to do on a Saturday that happens to double as a Holiday?

Yea that too. The board is extremely quiet on Friday and Saturday nights for obvious reasons lol.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He is capable of doing that when necessary.

But, like you said.

Most rookies eventually hit that wall.

I call it the Jeff Green syndrome.

Ball out of control one night, disappear from the stat sheet the next 4.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea that too. The board is extremely quiet on Friday and Saturday nights for obvious reasons lol.
I went to Ihop for my free Pancakes, the Veterans parade in Downtown Phoenix, two Barbecues and the drive in.

Three day weekend.

I watched half a game yesterday.

Because as usual, that's all the Clippers play.

* blacks the fuck out again*

I didn't even know about Lonzo until I turned on my iPad this morning.

Last edited:

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Youngest triple double ever.

Nice accomplishment to hang his hat on when his rookie year has been rocky professionally and personally * his brother *.

Good for him, the Lakers and their fans to see what he can accomplish if he puts in the work to fix that shot in the summer.

No way would I tinker with it now.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're honest about their team or a player on their roster, it makes you a hater? That logic is dumb

What's dumb is claiming a player is a bust when he is struggling with one aspect of his game while being as good or better than advertised because they don't like his father.

That "lawjik" is beyond stupid.

And you, of all people, calling someone out for calling others haters is pretty damn funny.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's dumb is claiming a player is a bust when he is struggling with one aspect of his game while being as good or better than advertised because they don't like his father.

That "lawjik" is beyond stupid.

And you, of all people, calling someone out for calling others haters is pretty damn funny.

ok

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
giphy.gif

OHMYGOD!! OHMYGOD!! OHMYGOD!!

Lonzo last night.

19 points on 7 of 12 shooting, 3 of 5 from 3 point range.

13 assists

11 rebounds

4 blocks

3 steals

Youngest player in NBA history to record a triple-double.

He's clearly the greatest point guard in league history.

LET'S JUST PUT HIM IN THE HALL OF FAME NOW!!

Or maybe we can stop all of the overreaction seeing as how he's 12 games into his career? :noidea:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Imo, Jason Kidd (who Lonzo is most compared to) nailed it last night when he said:

"Triple double, that is going to be the norm for him. He is going to fill up the stat sheets. We are trying to put him in a microwave and speed him up. He is going to make mistakes and he is going to have bad nights, but he competes and he is going to find a way to win."

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He doesn't need game reps though. He needs to change his form. That happens when he is on a court by himself.

Yes and no. For better or worse, during the season, games are when he will get the most opportunity to shoot. It gives the Lakers a chance to figure out how much his shot really needs to change.

He's not the first guy to have an ugly shot. If the shots go in, then no one cares about form. If his shot was falling, everyone would be comparing him to Jamaal Wilkes and Reggie Miller.

For now, Luke seems content to let him figure it out and it doesn't seem to be effecting the rest of his game.

Personally, I think he is going to need to fix his form because I don't think he can develop any consistency with that form. In the NBA, guys close out a lot faster than in college and if he starts hitting that shot consistently, teams will adjust and close out faster on him rather than let him shoot.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imo, Jason Kidd (who Lonzo is most compared to) nailed it last night when he said:

"Triple double, that is going to be the norm for him. He is going to fill up the stat sheets. We are trying to put him in a microwave and speed him up. He is going to make mistakes and he is going to have bad nights, but he competes and he is going to find a way to win."
Kidd also said any comparisons between him and Lonzo were a "stretch"... ;)

It was a nice game. If I were a Laker fan, I'd be happy after that one too... (the fact that those stat's came against a bonafide "decent" NBA team is a big plus). Looks like the kid will put up assist and rebound numbers on a consistent basis, which is great for a PG... he can grab the ball and instantly lead the break.

All that being said... the Lakers braintrust and Lonzo need to get together as early as possible and fix his ridiculous shot. Fixing his form would be at least 75% of the battle, IMO. The earlier they start, the better.

If this season isn't about the W's anyways... why not start that process now? :puzzled:

Imagine Lonzo with a shot...

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It was a nice game. If I were a Laker fan, I'd be happy after that one too... (the fact that those stat's came against a bonafide "decent" NBA team is a big plus). Looks like the kid will put up assist and rebound numbers on a consistent basis, which is great for a PG... he can grab the ball and instantly lead the break.

All that being said... the Lakers braintrust and Lonzo need to get together as early as possible and fix his ridiculous shot. Fixing his form would be at least 75% of the battle, IMO. The earlier they start, the better.

If this season isn't about the W's anyways... why not start that process now? :puzzled:

Based on his comments last night, I think his previous comments were more about making comparisons to all time greats so early in his career. But, that's what fans and the media do...overreact, both ways. Any comparison of any rookie to any all time great is a stretch.

The problem with working on shooting form too much, in season (even when the season is more about development than wins), is that shooting form has to become "automatic," it can't be something a player is thinking about. If a player is thinking about his form during a game, it typically just makes it worse.

As I posted earlier, he's not the first player to have an ugly shot and at least we can see if he can adjust the shot so that it works, to some degree, at the NBA level.

I think he is going to need to fix that shot, but there are still 70 more games for him to see if he and the Lakers can work it out.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Everything except fixing the shot.

You don't do that during the season.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on his comments last night, I think his previous comments were more about making comparisons to all time greats so early in his career. But, that's what fans and the media do...overreact, both ways. Any comparison of any rookie to any all time great is a stretch.

The problem with working on shooting form too much, in season (even when the season is more about development than wins), is that shooting form has to become "automatic," it can't be something a player is thinking about. If a player is thinking about his form during a game, it typically just makes it worse.

As I posted earlier, he's not the first player to have an ugly shot and at least we can see if he can adjust the shot so that it works, to some degree, at the NBA level.

I think he is going to need to fix that shot, but there are still 70 more games for him to see if he and the Lakers can work it out.
No.

I saw Kidd on NBA jump, I think it was Thursday, and he and the host seemed Damn near offended by the comparison.

Jason seems to have walked it back a bit cause his first comment suggested that the biggest difference between the two is that he plays hard for 48 mins and Lonzo doesn't.