• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The NBA rookies Thread

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not a #1 or 2 option.

But, neither was J Kidd.

I considered Jason a Franchise player...

Someone you build your roster around.

Why can't Lonzo?

Interesting question.

Let me start by saying that I think that Lonzo is capable of being an elite player of the Jason Kidd variety.

But franchise player, if we choose to define it, seems to mean something more. That would be the kind of player that can take control of a game with 2 minutes left and carry his team to victory. Would you agree?

I'm not sure if a pure ball distributor can do that. Heck there are very few primarily perimeter players that I would consider franchise players. Maybe Reggie Miller?

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting question.

Let me start by saying that I think that Lonzo is capable of being an elite player of the Jason Kidd variety.

But franchise player, if we choose to define it, seems to mean something more. That would be the kind of player that can take control of a game with 2 minutes left and carry his team to victory. Would you agree?

I'm not sure if a pure ball distributor can do that. Heck there are very few primarily perimeter players that I would consider franchise players. Maybe Reggie Miller?
Okay....

That's fair.

I think our definitions were slightly different.

So, in your opinion....

Was Nash a franchise player?

He could affect the game in numerous ways, passing, shooting and could get you a bucket if you need it.

Ditto for Paul.

Both are pass first.

But, unlike Lonzo, both are a threat to score.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His absolute ceiling would be Lebronish.

I don't see that.....yet.

I put him more in the ultra-athletic Lamar Odom category.

I have mixed feelings on the Ball not being a franchise player theory.

Define franchise player?

I'm being serious...

He's not a #1 or 2 option.

But, neither was J Kidd.

I considered Jason a Franchise player...

Someone you build your roster around.

Why can't Lonzo fall in that category?

The Magic made Howard look like a franchise guy by surrounding him with shooters.

Lakers can do the same with Ball.

Agree 100%.

Also like the Odom comp for Simmons. I think he can be better, but it is a good comp.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting question.

Not sure I necessarily agree with the franchise player bit.

I don't think the player necessarily needs to be the one to take the shot. He needs to be good enough to keep the defense honest, but if he can create high quality looks for teammates in crunch time, that can be every bit as valuable as a guy who can get the shot himself.

I guess what I am saying is that there are more ways to take over a game than simply by scoring the ball.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I necessarily agree with the franchise player bit.

I don't think the player necessarily needs to be the one to take the shot. He needs to be good enough to keep the defense honest, but if he can create high quality looks for teammates in crunch time, that can be every bit as valuable as a guy who can get the shot himself.

I guess what I am saying is that there are more ways to take over a game than simply by scoring the ball.

OK. That's fair. I guess it ultimately depends on how we define franchise player.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK. That's fair. I guess it ultimately depends on how we define franchise player.
Agree.

I like your thought process on the matter, even if I disagree slightly on your definition.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its really hard to look at this rookie class 8 games in. They need to work on their defense as much their offense. There are a few that have an NBA shooting capability. IMO Simmons is the front runner

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its really hard to look at this rookie class 8 games in. They need to work on their defense as much their offense. There are a few that have an NBA shooting capability. IMO Simmons is the front runner
Tatum looks great too.

I love DSJ in Dallas, Fox in Cow Town, Mitchell in Utah.

LogicMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tatum looks great too.

I love DSJ in Dallas, Fox in Cow Town, Mitchell in Utah.

Overall Mecca this looks like the hype about last years draft is real, especially the depth of the draft. This kid Semi we picked up really is a player. We cannot overlook round 2 players. Funny how different one class can be from another

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overall Mecca this looks like the hype about last years draft is real, especially the depth of the draft. This kid Semi we picked up really is a player. We cannot overlook round 2 players. Funny how different one class can be from another
That kid is a brickhouse.

Hell of a defender already.

Losing Hayward sucks.

But, you guys found a nice silver lining because Tatum, Rozier, Semi, Brown are able to develop faster and Kyrie is able to show he can lead a team as the #1 option.

As for the drafts, always a crap shoot.

Look how many guys aren't even getting their options picked up.

Okafor surprises me.

Looney does not.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know what happened with Hezonja in Orlando.

But, I thought he had star potential.

Surprised they didn't pick up his option.

Maybe the rumors about his bad attitude are true..

Maybe his Euro flair just didn't translate to the NBA.

Last edited:

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okafor surprises me.

Looney does not.

I suspect they will dump him for a bag of balls pretty soon. He can't even get on the court for them. It's possible he might be viable in a different system. But too many guys in front of him in Philly playing a system that doesn't work for him..

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly right. If Simmons develops into the best version of himself he isn't likely to take more than 3-5 3s a game. That's just not part of his game.

An effective perimeter shot is going to be much more important for Ball, and for Fultz for that matter when he comes back.

Yeah, with his talent, Simmons will likely be among the league scoring leaders for his entire career and may even lead the league a time or 2.

If Lonzo ever even leads his team in scoring, something has gone very wrong with the Lakers offense.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thunder opening up a can in Milwaukee tonight, things starting to click a bit.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thunder opening up a can in Milwaukee tonight, things starting to click a bit.

giphy.gif

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oops

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, with his talent, Simmons will likely be among the league scoring leaders for his entire career and may even lead the league a time or 2.

If Lonzo ever even leads his team in scoring, something has gone very wrong with the Lakers offense.

I agree on both points.

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dennis Jr. had two points last night. Mavericks' October is behind us now. Looking forward to them making playoff push.

LogicMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okafor surprises me.

This dude is an enigma. I have seen his offense, in person. he has it, but he is absolutely lost on defense. he should have some pride

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lonzo made 79% of his shots "at the rim" in college. Obviously that number was going to drop in the NBA but I think that's where he needs to improve the most. He's at .375 right now. Get that above 50% and he'll be ok. MCW shot .553 at the rim his rookie year. There's no reason Lonzo can't put up similar numbers.
i feel like that's a shot.