• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Master Vent Thread-Negativity Within-Enter at Your Own Risk

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
your getting off topic. its not about if sam has worked out or not. it was about what NFL teams do at #1 when they need a QB. history has shown they will pick the QB because it is the most important position even if they have someone rated higher on their board. sam has been hurt so its kinda hard to really judge his potential.

Again, you don't reach for need in the draft(especially the #1 overall pick), this has been proven over and over again(JaMarcus Russell anyone?), especially by our franchise. You draft the BPA or you make a trade where you can still get the guy you want and grab a few extra picks in the process.
This past year is an example. Houston didn't reach for a guy who was still rated as a franchise QB, they took the BPA like you're supposed to. There were teams calling them offering deals, but the BPA(Clowney) was too tempting to pass up.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, If what I'm looking at is correct. Bradford has "led" us to a grand total of 19 wins so far in his 5 year career. He's made over 50 million dollars. That's almost three million dollars per win!!! To me, in the age of the salary cap, that's frightening...

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, you don't reach for need in the draft(especially the #1 overall pick), this has been proven over and over again(JaMarcus Russell anyone?), especially by our franchise. You draft the BPA or you make a trade where you can still get the guy you want and grab a few extra picks in the process.
This past year is an example. Houston didn't reach for a guy who was still rated as a franchise QB, they took the BPA like you're supposed to. There were teams calling them offering deals, but the BPA(Clowney) was too tempting to pass up.
To be fair LTRF since the last CBA which regulated the rookie pay scale, this sort of action now is now common place and is now the standard. The Rams were one of the first to really take advantage of this as we all saw with the RGIII trade.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair LTRF since the last CBA which regulated the rookie pay scale, this sort of action now is now common place and is now the standard. The Rams were one of the first to really take advantage of this as we all saw with the RGIII trade.

100% correct, its more common now, but it certainly has happened in the past where the number 1 overall was traded. Off the top of my head, I remember Jeff George, Eli Manning and Orlando Pace to name a few. I mean the picks that led to those players, of course...

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100% correct, its more common now, but it certainly has happened in the past where the number 1 overall was traded. Off the top of my head, I remember Jeff George, Eli Manning and Orlando Pace to name a few. I mean the picks that led to those players, of course...

Actually, from what I remember now, Manning was traded after being picked, but still the number 1 overall. That was a whole mess.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, from what I remember now, Manning was traded after being picked, but still the number 1 overall. That was a whole mess.
Yes, I thought of that after your post. What a mess, they still managed to get Rivers after they drafted Eli as I recall.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Longtimefan, first I just want to thank you for taking over this argument! Ive been saying the same exact things to Coug for past year, he just doesnt get it? Secondly, good luck trying to convince Cougar. Thirdly, Cougar will never be convinced, his man love is to strong to defeat!

Everybody wanted Sammie, everybody thought he should have been taken number one, everybody thought he was a future HOF QB, everybody wants him now, just ask Coug! He knows what everybody was thinking!

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I thought of that after your post. What a mess, they still managed to get Rivers after they drafted Eli as I recall.

Yeah, Manning was drafted by the Chargers and told them he wouldn't play for them. You'd think they'd have that worked out before the draft, no? The Giants drafted Rivers at 4 and the rest is history. Seriously, how does no one know about this before the draft? They don't call him or his agent and feel them out? They didn't have him in for face to face meetings and workouts?

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To doubt that Bradford and Suh were 1 and 2 is splitting hairs. It could have been Suh and Bradford just as easily. To think there was no interest in Bradford by other teams at that time or as BPA is well silly. What I think we should do is count the rings the Lions and Rams have got in this time frame and see who won out.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To doubt that Bradford and Suh were 1 and 2 is splitting hairs. It could have been Suh and Bradford just as easily. To think there was no interest in Bradford by other teams at that time or as BPA is well silly. What I think we should do is count the rings the Lions and Rams have got in this time frame and see who won out.

Some years in the draft there is one guy who is head and shoulders above the rest of the prospects. That happened to be the case the year Bradford was drafted, Just as it was this past year. There wasn't a choice at the top, it was Clowney and then everyone else. Just like it was Suh, and then everyone else. Wasn't a 1a 1b type situation. These guys are SO much better than the rest.
Of course there was interest in Bradford, he was the only "franchise caliber" QB available that year, but that doesn't make him the BPA. The average ranking for Suh was 99, unheard of. The average ranking for Bradford was 94/95. May not seem like a lot, but its a HUGE difference in draft terms.

As for the rings the teams have won, at least the Lions have been in the playoffs with a chance to win a ring. Bradford has led us to 19 wins in 5 years and no playoffs, just pathetic for 50+ million, no?. Suh is about to sign the largest FA deal in NFL history and Bradford refuses to restructure his deal like other QB's have. Who came out better? Clearly not us.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Longtimefan, first I just want to thank you for taking over this argument! Ive been saying the same exact things to Coug for past year, he just doesnt get it? Secondly, good luck trying to convince Cougar. Thirdly, Cougar will never be convinced, his man love is to strong to defeat!

Everybody wanted Sammie, everybody thought he should have been taken number one, everybody thought he was a future HOF QB, everybody wants him now, just ask Coug! He knows what everybody was thinking!

No prob Smed. Right is right and wrong is wrong. So far, Sam has been an absolute bust, he has one season to make it right. If he gets hurt again or doesn't lead us to a winning record, he'll be in the same category as Jeff George and Jamarcus Russell.

Here's the funniest/saddest part about all this. Last night I clicked the link I still have to the old ESPN boards. I wanted to read the old posts about Bradford and guess what? Everyone was saying the same thing we're still hearing, lets give him one more year or replace him. That was 2 years ago(April 2013) and nothing has changed. Sad really, isn't it?

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some years in the draft there is one guy who is head and shoulders above the rest of the prospects. That happened to be the case the year Bradford was drafted, Just as it was this past year. There wasn't a choice at the top, it was Clowney and then everyone else. Just like it was Suh, and then everyone else. Wasn't a 1a 1b type situation. These guys are SO much better than the rest.
Of course there was interest in Bradford, he was the only "franchise caliber" QB available that year, but that doesn't make him the BPA. The average ranking for Suh was 99, unheard of. The average ranking for Bradford was 94/95. May not seem like a lot, but its a HUGE difference in draft terms.

As for the rings the teams have won, at least the Lions have been in the playoffs with a chance to win a ring. Bradford has led us to 19 wins in 5 years and no playoffs, just pathetic for 50+ million, no?. Suh is about to sign the largest FA deal in NFL history and Bradford refuses to restructure his deal like other QB's have. Who came out better? Clearly not us.

Hey Ozark, you think my post is Bullshit? prove me wrong, otherwise you can shove it right where bullshit comes from.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No prob Smed. Right is right and wrong is wrong. So far, Sam has been an absolute bust, he has one season to make it right. If he gets hurt again or doesn't lead us to a winning record, he'll be in the same category as Jeff George and Jamarcus Russell.

Here's the funniest/saddest part about all this. Last night I clicked the link I still have to the old ESPN boards. I wanted to read the old posts about Bradford and guess what? Everyone was saying the same thing we're still hearing, lets give him one more year or replace him. That was 2 years ago(April 2013) and nothing has changed. Sad really, isn't it?

It's not funny it proves my point actually. That's because QB's are hard to fine. So when NFL teams have the #1 pick and a QB is available you have to take a chance on him. Doesn't matter if a stud DT is there or not. Like I said you don't win without a QB in this league. You have your opinion but it's not the opinion of NFL teams that actually are drafting.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not funny it proves my point actually. That's because QB's are hard to fine. So when NFL teams have the #1 pick and a QB is available you have to take a chance on him. Doesn't matter if a stud DT is there or not. Like I said you don't win without a QB in this league.

Then why didn't Houston take a QB with the number one overall? They're starving for a top QB prospect. As I've said, it depends on the players available and their rankings.

Of course you can't win without a QB, but nothing says you have to take a QB with the first overall pick to win in the NFL. Most teams do not have a #1 overall under center and do just fine, they even win Super Bowls. In fact, I might be wrong here(probably am), but Since '98 and Elway, the only two #1 overalls who have won a SB over the last 15 or so years is Eli Manning twice and Peyton Manning twice. So about 25% of them, but both from the same family(we need a Manning lol) about 75% of them were won by QB's who weren't #1 overall.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then why didn't Houston take a QB with the number one overall? They're starving for a top QB prospect. As I've said, it depends on the players available and their rankings.

Of course you can't win without a QB, but nothing says you have to take a QB with the first overall pick to win in the NFL. Most teams do not have a #1 overall under center and do just fine, they even win Super Bowls. In fact, I might be wrong here(probably am), but Since '98 and Elway, the only two #1 overalls who have won a SB over the last 15 or so years is Eli Manning twice and Peyton Manning twice. So about 25% of them, but both from the same family(we need a Manning lol) about 75% of them were won by QB's who weren't #1 overall.

There wasn't a QB to take #1 last year. That doesn't happen very often but it did last year. JW will go #1 this year even with his crazy off the field problems and with his Alarming amount of interceptions he threw in college. Williams the DT is the safest pick in the draft just like Suh was but teams at 1 always pick the QB. There was no QB last year worthy of the first pick. It was a shock to most when he went 3. To say sam was a reach at 1 is just wrong and have heard no one say that but Smed. Brotels at 3 was a reach. And BTW Clowney isn't exactly crushing the league.

Last edited:

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There wasn't a QB to take #1 last year... JW will go #1 this year even with his crazy off the field problems and with his Alarming amount of interceptions he threw in college. Williams the DT is the safest pick in the draft just like Suh was but teams at 1 always pick the QB. There was no QB last year worthy of the first pick. It was a shock to most when he went 3. To say sam was a reach at 1 is just wrong and have heard no one say that but Smed. Brotels at 3 was a reach.

Coug, I wouldn't have had a problem taking Sammie #1 that year if he had played and had another good to great year his junior year. I'm just saying a good business man doesn't throw that kind of money to a guy that hadn't played in a year and was coming off a great "sophomore" year. It could have been a fluke year, a lot of guys were putting up big numbers in the Big 12 at that time, as you always say maybe teams figured him out after his sophomore year, after all he didn't do a whole lot in the 2 1/2 games he played his junior year!
You always want to say that he was on pace to have his best year in 2013, well than project his junior numbers and he would have thrown 15-20 TD passes his junior year, ya maybe teams did figure him out?

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You do realize 31 teams pick after #1 right? So of course there will be more QB's taken with all the other teams to increase the odds of success by a high number. But that doesn't mean you don't take one at #1 when you are forced to pick there.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Of course you can't win without a QB, but nothing says you have to take a QB with the first overall pick to win in the NFL. Most teams do not have a #1 overall under center and do just fine, they even win Super Bowls. In fact, I might be wrong here(probably am), but Since '98 and Elway, the only two #1 overalls who have won a SB over the last 15 or so years is Eli Manning twice and
Peyton Manning twice. So about 25% of them, but both from the same family(we need a Manning lol) about 75% of them were won by QB's who weren't #1 overall.

See LTR, you can't argue with Coug, at least about his boy Sammie. If we had Tom Brady in his prime, Coug would have still wanted us to draft Sammie, because, dammit he's just that dam good, gotta have him!