• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Last of Us

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a sadness you would carry for the rest of your life with no particular desire to get rid of it.

No dramatic tension, which is why I could turn it off at that point without the slightest curiosity about what would happen next. I have no particular desire to see him get over it, and it wasn't even his story.

What? Look I've played the game so I know how the story unfolds and I'll say that story wise it's probably one of the best games in gaming history that everyone said (along with Until Dawn and RE which was kind of botched but had some moments) could be adapted to a movie easily.

That said, was the movie you were looking for really about his daughter MAYBE surviving and he MAYBE finds her and OMG the HOPE he reunites? Really!? You want ANOTHER one of those? Well go watch the thousands that exist out there.

What movies/series these days lack, are GRIT. It's not all peaches and cream in real life and "motivating a main character to find resolution to a past event." It's also about hardship, tragedy, emotional anguish... and how you cope with that and move forward or can you? It's depression, sad, unnerving, and lacks hope. The tension is will that character ever rebound? Will he/she ever be able to come to terms with their loss that we know about.

A lot of audiences these days like the happy/cheery go lucky movie "Oh he finds his daughter later! He got injured but he'll meet a woman and she'll be a scientist and be like, "DAD!?" and omgomfofmf TEARS!" It's unsettling to a lot of audiences to watch someone go through what the character of Joel did, especially in an apocalyptic event where there's little hope anyway.

What the game (and series SO FAR) did VERY well is showing Joel's impact by that TWENTY YEARS LATER. There's very little to live for, he has a 'girlfriend' which he's hardly fully emotionally invested in (there's investment there for sure, but it's guarded), he wants to find his brother I think it is... that's all he has left. He drinks, takes drugs, smuggles, etc.

You say: "Without the slightest curiosity about what would happen next." So a father (maybe you've never been one but neither have I) loses his daughter in that fashion... and you don't wonder what will happen next to the main character? You just... EVERYTHING for you was so centered around that daughter... once the daughter was dead just no other character or interaction mattered. NOTHING else but the daughter/father mattered... there's no other characters we can meet or witness the character development of Joel?

I in no way mean offense, but maybe you just enjoy different types of movies. You want Joel to Schwarzeneggar up guns/ammo and murder everything at that point, or you wanted her to get the (?) survive and have the cheeseball scene I described above. Hey to each their own.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you see a Batman movie where Bruce's parents are killed in the first 5 minutes - do you want to hang around with 10 year old Bruce or OK with jumping to adult Bruce and seeing what effect that had? It's the same thing, its an event that shapes a character.

The Last Of Us is not Sarah's story. It just isn't.
After that first five minutes Bruce has a mission. That's what's missing.

First half of the first episode is absolutely her story. We wake up with her, go to school with her, ride the bus with her, go to the watch repair place with her, go to the neighbor's house with her, and discover things falling apart through her eyes while she's basically alone. Her dad's only in a couple of scenes until he drives up to grab her. Only somebody who already knows the story would know it's not hers.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I imagine it is, but just from a storytelling/audience-engagement perspective it's brutal.

There's always something unresolved about the early death of a character the audience cares about, and that's why you keep watching - hoping for vengeance, or the solving of a mystery, or knowing the survivor has to break the news to somebody, or is wrongly accused and on the run, or guilty and afraid of being found out.

Here they didn't do any of that, and that's because a game doesn't need it. This is where being too faithful to the structure of the game burned them.
Considering the ratings (IMDB 9.3, RT critics 97% and audience 96%), and how everyone I know is really liking it, I think you are way overstating this.

It isn't working for you for the reasons you have stated but the extreme vast majority feels otherwise.

Killing off main characters that the audience was invested in was what exploded Game of Thrones in popularity. So there is precedent for this.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After that first five minutes Bruce has a mission. That's what's missing.

First half of the first episode is absolutely her story. We wake up with her, go to school with her, ride the bus with her, go to the watch repair place with her, go to the neighbor's house with her, and discover things falling apart through her eyes while she's basically alone. Her dad's only in a couple of scenes until he drives up to grab her. Only somebody who already knows the story would know it's not hers.
I mean… If we can get over Ned Stark…

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What? Look I've played the game so I know how the story unfolds and I'll say that story wise it's probably one of the best games in gaming history that everyone said (along with Until Dawn and RE which was kind of botched but had some moments) could be adapted to a movie easily.

That said, was the movie you were looking for really about his daughter MAYBE surviving and he MAYBE finds her and OMG the HOPE he reunites? Really!? You want ANOTHER one of those? Well go watch the thousands that exist out there.

What movies/series these days lack, are GRIT. It's not all peaches and cream in real life and "motivating a main character to find resolution to a past event." It's also about hardship, tragedy, emotional anguish... and how you cope with that and move forward or can you? It's depression, sad, unnerving, and lacks hope. The tension is will that character ever rebound? Will he/she ever be able to come to terms with their loss that we know about.

A lot of audiences these days like the happy/cheery go lucky movie "Oh he finds his daughter later! He got injured but he'll meet a woman and she'll be a scientist and be like, "DAD!?" and omgomfofmf TEARS!" It's unsettling to a lot of audiences to watch someone go through what the character of Joel did, especially in an apocalyptic event where there's little hope anyway.

What the game (and series SO FAR) did VERY well is showing Joel's impact by that TWENTY YEARS LATER. There's very little to live for, he has a 'girlfriend' which he's hardly fully emotionally invested in (there's investment there for sure, but it's guarded), he wants to find his brother I think it is... that's all he has left. He drinks, takes drugs, smuggles, etc.

You say: "Without the slightest curiosity about what would happen next." So a father (maybe you've never been one but neither have I) loses his daughter in that fashion... and you don't wonder what will happen next to the main character? You just... EVERYTHING for you was so centered around that daughter... once the daughter was dead just no other character or interaction mattered. NOTHING else but the daughter/father mattered... there's no other characters we can meet or witness the character development of Joel?

I in no way mean offense, but maybe you just enjoy different types of movies. You want Joel to Schwarzeneggar up guns/ammo and murder everything at that point, or you wanted her to get the (?) survive and have the cheeseball scene I described above. Hey to each their own.
I haven't played the game and don't know the story. I watched an episode of a show where all the dramatic tension went away after half an hour. (She doesn't have to be maybe alive or anything like that, it doesn't have to be a revenge thing - those are just kinds of dramatic tension. It can be something small - even just them talking about what they'll do in the future in those early scenes. Something that makes me wonder about his own future other than grieving dad.)

You know the story. Big difference.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't played the game and don't know the story. I watched an episode of a show where all the dramatic tension went away after half an hour. (She doesn't have to be maybe alive or anything like that, it doesn't have to be a revenge thing - those are just kinds of dramatic tension. It can be something small - even just them talking about what they'll do in the future in those early scenes. Something that makes me wonder about his own future other than grieving dad.)

Sorry, but why can you, not knowing the story, just trust that there’s a reason and it’s supremely relevant? Even in the second episode you already see what occurred affecting his reactions and decision making to some degree…

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering the ratings (IMDB 9.3, RT critics 97% and audience 96%), and how everyone I know is really liking it, I think you are way overstating this.

It isn't working for you for the reasons you have stated but the extreme vast majority feels otherwise.

Killing off main characters that the audience was invested in was what exploded Game of Thrones in popularity. So there is precedent for this.
Yeah, but you sure cared what happened next. Arya, for example, left that scene both in danger and with a mission.

I'll probably pick it up again. Obviously it becomes his story with the death of his daughter and grows from there, with him not being there enough for her as the only real takeaway from the first twenty minutes.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I do know the story, and I didn't know it when I first played it (literally bought my PS4 and was like, "Last of Us bundle? Oh pretty good ratings. Okay I'll give it a shot."). So far the series has basically mirrored the game. You obviously would've thrown the controller down after 30 minutes because apparently that kind of story doesn't appeal to you. I didn't (and majority of people didn't given the ratings). I was invested in what was going to happen with Joel and what happened with this zombie outbreak and will he overcome and find solace. Will Joel meet anyone that can help him overcome loss, will he find his brother, what will happen to humanity, etc.?

When Bambi's mom died was I like, "Oh well fuck this movie, that hot deer MILF died... I don't want to watch that whiny bitch ass Bambi grow up and see how he deals with it."? No. Now of course that's a BIT different, but Bambi grew up and life moved on, made acquaintances/friends, and found some other meaning in his life. Take Pet Semetary when Gage dies early... the grieving father is led to do a horrific act which puts the movie into a horror element. Was I still invested in the book let alone the movie? Yes. Many were. Look at Joel? How will losing his daughter change him, how will it shape him? 20 years later he clearly hasn't found much... will he ever? Some movies take a brighter/happier approach, some movies go down a MUCH darker path. If the later unsettles you, hey then so be it (I gave you two examples that are polar opposites). But each one had tension as to what was going to happen - although as I mentioned Bambi was a little different because we know Mr. Mouse wasn't going to execute Bambi's weak ass with a wolf like reality would've done.

A grieving dad... well that's not ALL the series/film is about... even though a character is grieving as you are introduced to them 20 years later, doesn't mean they can't overcome that through various means or develop in a way that gives them hope/outlook. You realize many movies have also done that, and done it very successfully, right? So the fact that one scene just did it in for you... man, you must be pretty picky about what movies you like to watch or what tickles your fancy. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Last edited:

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How will losing his daughter change him, how will it shape him?
The problem is that where I am in the story I know so little about him that those questions don't mean much. He's basically just a single dad who works construction and seems nice enough, and I've only spent a few minutes with him most of which were focused on how his daughter was responding to things.

I wouldn't have thrown down the controller, because it's a game. Games catch all kinds of breaks for loose narrative. You play the next level.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The game has sold over 20 million copies, so I wonder how many viewers have played the game.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is that where I am in the story I know so little about him that those questions don't mean much. He's basically just a single dad who works construction and seems nice enough, and I've only spent a few minutes with him most of which were focused on how his daughter was responding to things.

I wouldn't have thrown down the controller, because it's a game. Games catch all kinds of breaks for loose narrative. You play the next level.

Right, but if you read my earlier posts.. this was a game based entirely on a story. It was a story driven game, an interactive movie so to speak. You keep arguing like because this is a video game adaptation and staying true to the game it sucks. Well for MOST games, I'd agree with you. This wasn't that type of game, that's what you and I are differing on quite largely.

A single Dad who works construction and seems nice enough? I think you need to give the story itself a bigger chance. Again this is not anything new, movies do this all the time. A tragic loss at the beginning of the movie, and a character has to overcome it. Some do it very well (the game at least) and some do it pretty crappy.. but you have to continue watching to see how it turns out.

The fact you were just so "BLEEEEEEEEEEH! GRIEVING PERSON!" that quickly in tells me quite a bit about what movies/shows you simply just don't enjoy. However, ratings/critics etc. would dictate that I lot of people find a lot of thought provoking ideas or warmth that develops in those movies. And some other movies never do... they just go full out depressing or harsh - which is sometimes reality in life. Now the fact you don't enjoy those types of movies, that's fine, nothing wrong with it.

Shawshank Redemption, tragic event happens, it's depressing and the main character is wrongly accused and grieving... movie skips ahead at some point years later (not quite as early but does the same '10 years later' schtick or whatever it is)... Andy seemed like a nice enough guy and likes rocks. Will he overcome his wrong doing, his hardships, who will he find solace in, etc.? I mean not QUITE the same here... but it's not that far off in some respects.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we get back to the people who fixed the watch for Sarah? For me, they were the story. Where did they do after she left?

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we're all missing the the biggest take away from the last episode.

Some guy who writes shitty The Last of Us fan fiction weaseled his way into the writers room so he could write that retarded scene where the fungus zombie walks up and makes out with Tess.

Good on that guy for pulling one over on a full room of writers. I bet he busted super hard watching that dumb shit.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Some guy who writes shitty The Last of Us fan fiction weaseled his way into the writers room so he could write that retarded scene where the fungus zombie walks up and makes out with Tess.

Good on that guy for pulling one over on a full room of writers. I bet he busted super hard watching that dumb shit.
Yeah, that was weird… “I’m just gonna stand here and open wide and take what this fungus guy be givin’!”

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The game has sold over 20 million copies, so I wonder how many viewers have played the game.
Quite a few, I’d imagine. And always some like yourself who just want to see what the fuss is all about. All arguments aside, if you don’t like it you don’t like it, but I’d say at least give it a few more episodes. I guess knowing what happens in the beginning had most of us prepared and knowing not to get too attached.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but you sure cared what happened next. Arya, for example, left that scene both in danger and with a mission.
I care about what happens to the father and the girl. But I have played the first game so I already have more familiarity with the characters.

I'll probably pick it up again. Obviously it becomes his story with the death of his daughter and grows from there, with him not being there enough for her as the only real takeaway from the first twenty minutes.
There are solid character arcs, and good storyline progression.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A weird scene for sure... it never happened in the game which was:
The military police busted in and just shot her to death
so not sure what they went for here. Tess was already turning into a runner (hence her struggling with the lighter). The show already mentioned earlier how they are all connected - almost like a hive mind, the fungus is connected between all of them to some degree (like one giant plant). So I think the other runner noticed her and saw her surrendering or that she could barely move and was simply accelerating the process. If you weren't going to fight back or struggle that's probably how you'd be infected because it'd be the quickest means to turn you (directly inserting the fungus into the brain via the tendrils or whatever).

I dunno, there's been a lot of discussion on it. "Was it because Joel couldn't kiss her before she died or get close to her?" "Is it the tendril/quick infection theory if you surrender because it's all connected?" "Was it some guy jackin' off to it?" Lot of ways you could take it.

I actually hope they expand on it a bit more since it's out there now. It'd be odd if it was never mentioned or shown again. In the game the virus also spread via spores (you had to wear a gas mask on certain parts) but you can't really do that here... the minute something goes airborne or with 'spores' it's kind of game over. Spores can easily travel via the wind, etc. so I get creatively you're a little limited here.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw the first two episodes with my wife. It is fantastic.

My only nitpick is that Bella Ramsey is annoying at times, she kind of deserves to be punched in the face. They are walking through extremely dangerous territory and she can't just shut the f up?

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol

Not sure I've ever seen a serious show based on existing and established IP devolve into 14 year old autistic fan fiction as fast as this one.

You could legit just skip this episode and miss nothing. Guess they gotta make the 20 year old female demographic happy though.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HRMMMM... an interesting episode. I didn't expect the series to go off on that tangent... seems like they're really trying to fill the season/episodes so they can stretch this into a longer series. No surprise given the budget, but yah... kind of wish we'd just spent more time with Joel/Ellie.