• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Last of Us

Shane_O_Mac812

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The game is one of my favorites of all time, and I also loved the second game. This was also one of the best episodes of any television show in the last decade and Nick Offerman better be nominated for an Emmy or Golden Globe after this masterpiece is all I'm going to say.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can do that without spending the entire episode on it. We agree the story was well made, we just don't agree on if it had any value to the show. I don't think either of us is going to change our view on it.
I guess you could just have Joel say "we gotta stop at this guys place, he's got what we need" but that's just lame, IMO....very deus ex.

instead you build a story and tell about the relationship between Frank, Bill, Joel, and Tess and why they knew each other...

again, I think it adds a lot to the world building. Not everyone is constantly fighting against mushroom people all the time. There was also those who were surviving without that.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The game is one of my favorites of all time, and I also loved the second game. This was also one of the best episodes of any television show in the last decade and Nick Offerman better be nominated for an Emmy or Golden Globe after this masterpiece is all I'm going to say.
Murray Bartlett was also really good, but yea, Nick stole every scene.

Bartlett was the hotel manager in the first season of The White Lotus. He was good in that too.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No question that it was a well done episode. In so many other shows it would have been a solid addition, but what did it add to this show? It was ultimately a pointless entry for something that could have been 5 minutes. If this was a story about all survivors and how they are surviving this it would have been an absolutely elite episode. This story is about Joel getting Ellie to Salt Lake City, focusing an entire episode on those characters did not do the show justice.

This episode is the clearest example we have that Druckman is running things, because fuck the story I am making my point is his specialty, and it ruined TLOU2.
The writers are telling us that even a lonely, solitary figure in the world who has everything they want..... just might be looking for something more.
And found a reason to keep going forward.
He found hope.
Which Joel has pretty much lost.
And then he meets Elle.

It's like Andy telling Red about hope in Shawshank with the music.
They can't take that away from me.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The writers are telling us that even a lonely, solitary figure in the world who has everything they want..... just might be looking for something more.
He found hope.
And then he meets Elle.

It's like Andy telling Red about Hope in Shawshank with the music.
someone drew a comparison of this episode to the entire run of Station Eleven and I cannot agree more.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
someone drew a comparison of this episode to the entire run of Station Eleven and I cannot agree more.
I guess folks want mindless entertainment like some video game.... oh, wait.............

• Haha
Reactions: ill

OUGuy1999

BOOMER..SOONERS!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was the first episode with just Ellie and Joel together.. it should've been focused on that dynamic and developing those characters and their interaction together... not 75% of the episode devoted to two characters I really don't give a fuck about. This was really your episode to hook viewers in with the Joel/Ellie dynamic that the game did so well... and IMO they fucked it up. I'm not sure if this is Hollyweird with their LGBTQ movement bullshit or something else, but woof.

I haven't seen episode 2 or 3. But to be fair to the game in accordance with your assessment, they got it right. Joel and Ellie don't really establish a well rounded relationship until after they meet Bill. Up to the point of meeting Bill in the game Joel is still just tolerating Ellie and Ellie is just being her mouthy self with small showings of her own character as being just a kid who knows nothing about the outside. And to your assessment of LGBTQ stuff, if you paid enough attention while playing the game it was obvious Bill was gay in the game, so its no different than in the show for that part. Although, my understanding is they did change up some of the story to give more feels but whatever, that's what shows do to make a 35 hour game into long episodes.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess you could just have Joel say "we gotta stop at this guys place, he's got what we need" but that's just lame, IMO....very deus ex.

instead you build a story and tell about the relationship between Frank, Bill, Joel, and Tess and why they knew each other...

again, I think it adds a lot to the world building. Not everyone is constantly fighting against mushroom people all the time. There was also those who were surviving without that.
The game introduces Bill just fine and makes his story known, and does a way better job of it without it taking a significant portion of the game. That is of course my opinion. This version of it is far more inline with the second games way of handling the story, that game was pretty devisive among the fan base as well. I personally hated the second game, so not liking this episode makes sense. The episode feels like a puzzle piece for a different puzzle to me.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He found hope.
And then he meets Elle.

It's like Andy telling Red about hope in Shawshank with the music.
I don't think What Bill does was not important, I think the entire history is just wasted time and does not add value to the story. This was as meaningful to me as if they spent an hour showing Marlene had an epic lego collection pre outbreak.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The game introduces Bill just fine and makes his story known, and does a way better job of it without it taking a significant portion of the game. That is of course my opinion. This version of it is far more inline with the second games way of handling the story, that game was pretty devisive among the fan base as well. I personally hated the second game, so not liking this episode makes sense. The episode feels like a puzzle piece for a different puzzle to me.
thing is they have the ability to tell more of a story with the show.

I don't know the game but I thought this was a pretty great episode that did what it needed to do.

and it hit some heartstrings.

I am waiting for more of the "fuck the wokeness" folks to roll in...

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say I did not think Nick Offerman could do Bill better than W. Earl Brown, and I was wrong. Offerman was awesome.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think What Bill does was not important, I think the entire history is just wasted time and does not add value to the story. This was as meaningful to me as if they spent an hour showing Marlene had an epic lego collection pre outbreak.
my favorite episode of Ted Lasso is the episode where Coach Beard goes out on the town and has an adventure. I like when they expand on a character and give you more than just "this person is important, but that's all you need to know."

and like @Sparhawk says, it tells more about the story of the world around them, not just "This is Bill, this is Frank"

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thing is they have the ability to tell more of a story with the show.

I don't know the game but I thought this was a pretty great episode that did what it needed to do.

and it hit some heartstrings.

I am waiting for more of the "fuck the wokeness" folks to roll in...
I would be surprised if they did. Bill is established as gay in the game, that was not a departure at all. I will agree with you that anyone that only takes exception to that part of the episode has a dumb take.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say I did not think Nick Offerman could do Bill better than W. Earl Brown, and I was wrong. Offerman was awesome.
him as a timid gay man was really well portrayed.

him giggling while eating strawberries was like...wow.

Offerman is a mans man but he is also maybe one guy who is in touch with his feelings...he breaks the mold.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my favorite episode of Ted Lasso is the episode where Coach Beard goes out on the town and has an adventure. I like when they expand on a character and give you more than just "this person is important, but that's all you need to know."

and like @Sparhawk says, it tells more about the story of the world around them, not just "This is Bill, this is Frank"
We just like different things from our shows then. I did not care for that episode all that much. Our main disagreement is I feel relevant information and backstory can be added in as the story progresses, not that the story needs to come to a halt to shoe horn the information in. I think both are valid takes.

Now a series on Bill and Frank could be awesome if they kept it is strong like that.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you guys are not disappointing me with your responses to that episode. Keep up the good work being closeminded and shitty

it was a good episode, IMO. It told a good story, albeit not so much about the main characters. I thought they did a really good job with it.

Close minded?

It was an episode long love story with 2 one off characters
Not a big fan of love stories and I don't expect a one off love story in a zombie series

This is called preference.

This is like you watching a Eagles Documentary and the 2nd half of it was all about the Dallas Cowboys.

Would you be closed minded because you did not like the 2nd half?

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We just like different things from our shows then. I did not care for that episode all that much. Our main disagreement is I feel relevant information and backstory can be added in as the story progresses, not that the story needs to come to a halt to shoe horn the information in. I think both are valid takes.

Now a series on Bill and Frank could be awesome if they kept it is strong like that.
I think an entire series on Bill and Frank would have been too much

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Close minded?

Not a big fan of love stories and I don't expect a one off love story in a zombie series

This is like you watching a Eagles Documentary and the 2nd half of it was all about the Dallas Cowboys.

lol

that is the worst analogy ever.

OUGuy1999

BOOMER..SOONERS!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Close minded?

I will agree with you on the preference. I don't care for a bunch of drama love story stuff in my movies and shows. It's why i didn't care for a bunch of episodes of GOT because it was all about love story stuff that i don't care about. If it doesn't enhance the main plot, then its just filler stuff to keep an episode long and nothing more. I keep hearing it was a great episode because of the love and backstory of a character we didn't really get to know well in the game. And just from that information alone i can tell i probably wont care much for the episode myself just from my own personal preferences. Each has their own opinions and preferences in what they like to watch.