• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Last of Us

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100%

And the comment Davos made about only getting a few soldiers from her was one of my favorite lines.

"If they're half as ferocious as their lady, the Boltons are doomed."​

You'd probably love Young Sheldon then. I'd check that out. It's good because he is smarter than the adults and mouths off to them a lot. Really badass.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyhoo… Pretty sure there are about 27 threads to discuss GoT… Watched 1st episode of TLoU…

They are sticking pretty much 100% to the game story thus far…

Only real exception being the portrayal of Ellie. Don’t recall her starting off so militant. Feisty, yes, but it’s almost like they put “Part 2 Ellie” at the beginning of part 1 here.

No matter. Enjoying so far.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As someone who knows the games, would you say this is a must watch every Sunday like House of Dragon was or is it more you can let it pile up a few episodes and watch them at once kind of important?

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As someone who knows the games, would you say this is a must watch every Sunday like House of Dragon was or is it more you can let it pile up a few episodes and watch them at once kind of important?
Too early to tell… Episode 1 was more or less the game intro and first half hour of play… Thinking about it, that was kind of a script they had to follow. From here on out I suppose they can take more liberties with the story, as it’s basically a journey… What happens on the way can be anything they want, I suppose.

If you like apocalyptic storylines, you’ll enjoy it to this point whether you have familiarity with the game or not.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyhoo… Pretty sure there are about 27 threads to discuss GoT… Watched 1st episode of TLoU…

Only real exception being the portrayal of Ellie. Don’t recall her starting off so militant. Feisty, yes, but it’s almost like they put “Part 2 Ellie” at the beginning of part 1 here.

Ellie was in the first episode? IIRC she doesnt show up in the game for at least an hour or so. Then again, a lot of video game staples wouldnt make sense in a TV show.

She was also portrayed as a pretty 'normal' kid in the beginning. Certainly not militant.

Last edited:

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the fact that this is going to be very different from the video game means I might watch it. Giving them a second shot at the story they are bound to do it better.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the fact that this is going to be very different from the video game means I might watch it. Giving them a second shot at the story they are bound to do it better.
We shall see…

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We shall see…
Im reading metacritic reviews. NYT praises season 1 for its vision of hope and rejection of nihilism.

Here we go again...

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought this would probably suck but the first episode was fine.

I'd pretty much expect this to be a worse version of the story in the games going forward, but I'll keep checking it out unless it starts getting unwatchable.

I still don't understand the change they made regarding the spores. The whole idea of the fungus spores spreading the infection was the most interesting thing the game had going for it, and the show just completely cut it out.

And for what? Now instead the infection.....spreads by bites. Oh, and the zombies bite you on the neck and I guess they eat people now too? In the game they're aggressive and will attack and bite you, but these things were chowing on people's necks in the show. So good job HBO. You turned an interesting idea into just a bunch of normal, played out zombie bullshit.

The changes they had to make to the story to cut out the spores definitely made the reveal that Ellie is immune worse. It was almost a throw away line at the end of the episode.

"You're infected!"

"No, I'm immune"

"Okay, well let's go then"

lol

Not sure why they gave us that opening scene talking about the real cordyceps fungus either. That shit spreads by spores.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really liked the first EP... for a story of this kind, it's the best opening episode since The Walking Dead, so I don't want to get my expectations too high.

selkies ftw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why they gave us that opening scene talking about the real cordyceps fungus either. That shit spreads by spores.
That’s how all fungi reproduces with very few exceptions. I don’t know anything about the game but it does seem that taking that aspect away would make it not much more than just another zombie show like you said. Seems like it would take away some of the terror factor as well, not having to worry every breathe that you might become infected. You can hide from a zombie, much harder to hide from the air itself.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s how all fungi reproduces with very few exceptions. I don’t know anything about the game but it does seem that taking that aspect away would make it not much more than just another zombie show like you said. Seems like it would take away some of the terror factor as well, not having to worry every breathe that you might become infected. You can hide from a zombie, much harder to hide from the air itself.
Yeah that's basically why I don't/didn't have high hopes. Maybe they pull it off though. The last GoT show was actually pretty solid and they took a few liberties there as well.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought this would probably suck but the first episode was fine.

I'd pretty much expect this to be a worse version of the story in the games going forward, but I'll keep checking it out unless it starts getting unwatchable.

I still don't understand the change they made regarding the spores. The whole idea of the fungus spores spreading the infection was the most interesting thing the game had going for it, and the show just completely cut it out.

And for what? Now instead the infection.....spreads by bites. Oh, and the zombies bite you on the neck and I guess they eat people now too? In the game they're aggressive and will attack and bite you, but these things were chowing on people's necks in the show. So good job HBO. You turned an interesting idea into just a bunch of normal, played out zombie bullshit.

The changes they had to make to the story to cut out the spores definitely made the reveal that Ellie is immune worse. It was almost a throw away line at the end of the episode.

"You're infected!"

"No, I'm immune"

"Okay, well let's go then"

lol

I don’t think the zombie things eat people. I think the neck thing is them basically injecting the spores/fungus into people… Either way, yeah the departure from the airborne spores is weird…

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think the zombie things eat people. I think the neck thing is them basically injecting the spores/fungus into people… Either way, yeah the departure from the airborne spores is weird…
Could be. Just looks a lot like they're eating them or sucking their blood. Much like a run of the mill zombie or vampire.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was actually surprised on how good this first episode was. (I have some trust issues with HBO)

I'm looking at the character Sarah Miller ...and i can't place where I have seen her before ..she look so familiar
I said to my wife that she looks a clone of Thandie Newton ...and Boom... It's her daughter.

thandie-newtons-daughter-today-main-190313.jpg

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is a good catch I remember playing the first game she was young and innocent and as the game progressed she was molding into militant aggressor. Then by the launch of the 2nd game she was the main character and was very Alpha having gone through so much trauma.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pile up the episodes and watch them at once.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Up to you, but just seen the first episode and loved it, I’ll be anxiously waiting for the next episode.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems in episode 2 they have Ellie more like she should be (in fact, her little side comments are spot on)… Also confirm that bites infect via cordycep “injection”… I don’t take issue with it as bites DO infect, but still waiting on spores issue to be dealt with… Ellie does mention “tales” in the safe zone of larger infected that explode spores everywhere, so maybe something they plan on sticking with.