• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Last Movie You Watched (no spoilers)

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see anything special about it outside of the singing and dancing.

Wouldn't that be like saying 'Saving Private Ryan wasn't special outside all the combat?'

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm getting around to some movies from my childhood and teenage years.

Gangs of New York.

It seemed cheesy when I saw the previews a long time ago. This is a fun but long movie. (Too long?) Daniel Day-Lewis portrayed a very memorable gang leader turned community icon Bill "The Butcher" Cutting. I like a lot of the quotes in this one. I don't really know how to rate this movie. I"ll give it an 8.75. It wasn't super deep, but deep enough, fun, and relevant.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gangs of New York.

It seemed cheesy when I saw the previews a long time ago. This is a fun but long movie. (Too long?) Daniel Day-Lewis portrayed a very memorable gang leader turned community icon Bill "The Butcher" Cutting. I like a lot of the quotes in this one. I don't really know how to rate this movie. I"ll give it an 8.75. It wasn't super deep, but deep enough, fun, and relevant.
I gave it 3/5. Day-Lewis was excellent, but DiCaprio (my favorite actor of all time) was kind of flat to me in this one. And Cameron Diaz was wrongly cast IMO. Not my favorite Scorcese flick (actually, might be my least favorite. Either GONY or Wolf Of Wall Street, which I also gave 3/5 stars).

By the way, how the hell do you give a movie 8.75/10 stars? That's equivalent to giving it 4.375/5. Where does the extra 0.375 come from lol?

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the best you can do is be as objective about your subjectivity as you can.

I don't get your Tom Cruise example though. Judge the movie on the movie. It's like people who hate movies that have subtitles. The movie having subtitles doesn't make it a BAD movie, just because you don't like it.

I'm not big on musicals.

But if I were to see La La Land, I'd at least try to be a bit objective, and judge the movie on its own merits, not just say, 'it sucks, it's a musical.'
I was saying that it's ridiculous when people do that (judge the movie on an actor). Sorry if that wasn't clear.

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gave it 3/5. Day-Lewis was excellent, but DiCaprio (my favorite actor of all time) was kind of flat to me in this one. And Cameron Diaz was wrongly cast IMO. Not my favorite Scorcese flick (actually, might be my least favorite. Either GONY or Wolf Of Wall Street, which I also gave 3/5 stars).

By the way, how the hell do you give a movie 8.75/10 stars? That's equivalent to giving it 4.375/5. Where does the extra 0.375 come from lol?

Well, I do it in 0.25 increments, and I thought it was just short of a 9.

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Se7en

I realized who the killer was, then saw the ending coming, but this is a great movie. Tightly constructed and not needlessly long (a pet peeve of mine).

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Se7en

I realized who the killer was, then saw the ending coming, but this is a great movie. Tightly constructed and not needlessly long (a pet peeve of mine).

4.5/5 stars for me. Hell of a movie. Denzel Washington was originally offered the role that went to Morgan Freeman. I love Denzel, but I think Freeman was better for the role. Brad Pitt was the reason that movie was so awesome though, IIRC

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't that be like saying 'Saving Private Ryan wasn't special outside all the combat?'
Or Dexter wasn't awesome outside of all the serial killing?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad grandpa

About what I expected. Unfortunately, I watched the unrated version. Some of the scenes carried on WAY too long, and I suspect they were probably cut down in the theatrical version.

Deutch and Plaza are both hawt as fuck. The movie gets a couple points just for them.

4/10

I don't think I can recommend it, but IF the long, awkward scenes are considerably shorter in the "real" version, than maybe it is watchable with low expectations.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gangs of New York.

I watched his for the first time in forever about a month back. I forgot how cheesy some of it is

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starz premiered Ghostbusters this past Saturday night. I knew it would suck. But I decided to give it a chance to see if I was wrong. It did make $128M domestically. $229M world wide.

No cast could have polished that turd. Horrible writing. The ghosts looked cool. I can't believe how much money this crap made. It should have bombed hard.

The power of vagina my friend. You know a bunch of women and their daughters went to this shit, and all the men in High School were forced to this one by their dumbass girlfriends. And then the pussy whipped husbands probably had a choice between this or How He Fell in Love. Guess I'd take Ghostbusters if my nutsack was removed.

Is what it is.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Money Monster. It was entertaining... worth a watch. 7/10

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Split = Okay. Excellent acting by McAvoy, mediocre movie. Thomasin (still call Anya that from the Witch) has filled out incredibly. IMO it cut away too often to certain scenes, distracting from the film. M Night has a ridiculous nature to cut away from the tension and interesting scenes to just 'weird' scenes, like the neighbor and psych talking. Why? He does this in nearly every film and it always ruins continuity, like he feels the audience is too stupid to get what is going on (yah, we don't need to see the toast face down in Devil... we get it's the Devil, it's IN THE FUCKING TITLE). I really didn't understand the many scenes with the psychic at all, other than explaining multiple personalities can develop traits the main personality doesn't have (I thought that was interesting)... other than that, stay focused on the girls/McAvoy, the reveal at the computer at the end would've been crazy interesting without spoiling it earlier. Cloverfield 10 is an example that nailed tension and FOCUS/continuity PERFECTLY (until the bleh ending but whatever). Night needs to stay focused on the scenes his audience wants and NEEDS to see, and stop focusing on what he thinks we want to see (needless drivel that drags on run time). - 5/10

The Founder = Excellent movie. Stayed true to the actual events of how McDonalds came to be. So tired of seeing 'based on true story' only to be nothing of the sorts. Seems like the movies that DON'T say that about an actual event are ACTUALLY true. Keaton was excellent, the man still has it. I love movies about character studies and this one was just that. While many will hate Ray Kroc and McDonalds after watching this movie, I couldn't help but actually love it more. This country was founded on ambition, backstabbing, and a will to drive HUGE business in America, no matter what the costs (Rockefeller). Something that is COMPLETELY lost today and why America is the shithole it is (EVERYONE deserves equal, EVERYONE should get ahead!!!). Nope, those with ambition/drive and intelligence to work the system should get the gold, and this movie shows just that. 8/10

Hacksaw Ridge = Alright, some parts were a little over the top, some parts were a little over-dramatic, and it dragged a LITTLE too long in the mid section (we get it, the kid doesn't want to fire a gun, let's get the court scene over with and get on with it), but overall great movie. The cinematography was incredible (no surprise with Gibson), the music was touching and fit the moments perfectly, and the action was shot well. Garfield surprised me in this role (THAT HAIR THOUGH!) and I liked how they spent time on his background. Why was he not willing to touch a gun? Perfectly explains it. Why does he want to become a doctor? Perfectly explains it. Why was he able to last so long and out perform other soldiers in basic training? Perfectly explains it. On a side note that's probably the first movie I've seen since Old School where I thoroughly enjoyed Vince Vaughn. 7.5/10.

Doctor Strange = Meh. I don't know a lot about Doctor Strange's backstory but I dunno, I'm just fairly numbed by Superhero movies at this point. We've seen it done SO many times. Character starts out normal, something happens, he discovers a power through means of... stuff?, some guy is trying to ruin the Universe, and said character takes on evil force... end movie with character walking towards the screen with an over the top narration or something goofball. It's just so, predictable? Deadpool was a little different, but eventually they added in all the 'powers' and stuff. I DO applaud movies like Split/Unbreakable for taking a different twist on the "NOT SO IN YOUR FACE" Superhero/villain movie (but Night just can't really take a good idea and turn it into a decent SCRIPT/movie). 6/10.

As to my ratings, I go a bit off the old school traditional IMDB rating. Not everything is a 9 or 10. 9s/10s are reserved for classic/unforgettable movies. Lot of movies these days that are released fall in the 5-8 range. Average-Great movie, but not a classic or all time best.

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hidden Figures

9.0/10 - Thoroughly enjoyable, great writing and humor, based on a true story, a 1960' period piece - what's not to like? The acting was decent. Maybe the "feel-good" movie of 2016. Probably shouldn't win best picture but deserves the nomination.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched The Nice Guys. I liked it a lot.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Split = Okay. Excellent acting by McAvoy, mediocre movie. Thomasin (still call Anya that from the Witch) has filled out incredibly. IMO it cut away too often to certain scenes, distracting from the film. M Night has a ridiculous nature to cut away from the tension and interesting scenes to just 'weird' scenes, like the neighbor and psych talking. Why? He does this in nearly every film and it always ruins continuity, like he feels the audience is too stupid to get what is going on (yah, we don't need to see the toast face down in Devil... we get it's the Devil, it's IN THE FUCKING TITLE). I really didn't understand the many scenes with the psychic at all, other than explaining multiple personalities can develop traits the main personality doesn't have (I thought that was interesting)... other than that, stay focused on the girls/McAvoy, the reveal at the computer at the end would've been crazy interesting without spoiling it earlier. Cloverfield 10 is an example that nailed tension and FOCUS/continuity PERFECTLY (until the bleh ending but whatever). Night needs to stay focused on the scenes his audience wants and NEEDS to see, and stop focusing on what he thinks we want to see (needless drivel that drags on run time). - 5/10

The Founder = Excellent movie. Stayed true to the actual events of how McDonalds came to be. So tired of seeing 'based on true story' only to be nothing of the sorts. Seems like the movies that DON'T say that about an actual event are ACTUALLY true. Keaton was excellent, the man still has it. I love movies about character studies and this one was just that. While many will hate Ray Kroc and McDonalds after watching this movie, I couldn't help but actually love it more. This country was founded on ambition, backstabbing, and a will to drive HUGE business in America, no matter what the costs (Rockefeller). Something that is COMPLETELY lost today and why America is the shithole it is (EVERYONE deserves equal, EVERYONE should get ahead!!!). Nope, those with ambition/drive and intelligence to work the system should get the gold, and this movie shows just that. 8/10

Hacksaw Ridge = Alright, some parts were a little over the top, some parts were a little over-dramatic, and it dragged a LITTLE too long in the mid section (we get it, the kid doesn't want to fire a gun, let's get the court scene over with and get on with it), but overall great movie. The cinematography was incredible (no surprise with Gibson), the music was touching and fit the moments perfectly, and the action was shot well. Garfield surprised me in this role (THAT HAIR THOUGH!) and I liked how they spent time on his background. Why was he not willing to touch a gun? Perfectly explains it. Why does he want to become a doctor? Perfectly explains it. Why was he able to last so long and out perform other soldiers in basic training? Perfectly explains it. On a side note that's probably the first movie I've seen since Old School where I thoroughly enjoyed Vince Vaughn. 7.5/10.

Doctor Strange = Meh. I don't know a lot about Doctor Strange's backstory but I dunno, I'm just fairly numbed by Superhero movies at this point. We've seen it done SO many times. Character starts out normal, something happens, he discovers a power through means of... stuff?, some guy is trying to ruin the Universe, and said character takes on evil force... end movie with character walking towards the screen with an over the top narration or something goofball. It's just so, predictable? Deadpool was a little different, but eventually they added in all the 'powers' and stuff. I DO applaud movies like Split/Unbreakable for taking a different twist on the "NOT SO IN YOUR FACE" Superhero/villain movie (but Night just can't really take a good idea and turn it into a decent SCRIPT/movie). 6/10.

As to my ratings, I go a bit off the old school traditional IMDB rating. Not everything is a 9 or 10. 9s/10s are reserved for classic/unforgettable movies. Lot of movies these days that are released fall in the 5-8 range. Average-Great movie, but not a classic or all time best.

What I took out of this? America needs people who fuck over others and steal their ideas to become great again.

Now that would make for a great movie.

I'd pray for tragedy though.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Room was a good movie certainly worth a viewing, it will tug on your heart strings as if the director is your puppet master. The mother Joy gave an Oscar worthy performance and she won it for it.

Just "Room." The Room is a far different film and absolutely not a "good movie" in any sense. But yes, Room is very good.

Just saw Split this evening. Very good film, and as you mentioned, McAvoy was flawless in his performance. Also was wondering about the reference to Mr. Glass and Bruce Willis at the end....maybe another movie????

Just spoke about it in posts #3406-3408 above... It's a reference to M Night's movie Unbreakable.

Spoilers tags guys! Just saw Split and loved the reveal at the end and would hate to have had it spoiled.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just "Room." The Room is a far different film and absolutely not a "good movie" in any sense. But yes, Room is very good.

Spoilers tags guys! Just saw Split and loved the reveal at the end and would hate to have had it spoiled.
Almost said the same thing to Brock.