• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Lakers 2024 Offseason Thread

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They stayed in touch.

SMH.

It seems so incidental to be much of a factor, but then again there is so much talk without interviews even starting yet.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,316.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems so incidental to be much of a factor, but then again there is so much talk without interviews even starting yet.
I posted that after hearing.....i think it was Shams' podcast.

I will trust him over you that they have a relationship.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I posted that after hearing.....i think it was Shams' podcast.

I will trust him over you that they have a relationship.

I've heard it too, but just question how much impact that will have in the ultimate decision.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,316.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard it too, but just question how much impact that will have in the ultimate decision.
And my original comment was they need to start listening to AD over Bron since AD is younger and will be there after Bron retires.

That is how that comment originated.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And my original comment was they need to start listening to AD over Bron since AD is younger and will be there after Bron retires.

That is how that comment originated.

Again, all that is understood. I just question how much impact any relationship with Borrego would have, nothing more. A factor sure, how much of one?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the hell Shopson? See Post #188.

That is the first I've seen of any confirmed interviews having taken place, and there's no link or even mention of where that news came from. I've seen the lists of intended interviews and permissions received and such, but nothing more.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What they learned from the AD trade is that they could give up a bunch of middling to good assets to get a great player and win a championship. Where's the negative again?

Ingram? Injury issues. Ball? Injury issues. Draft picks? Hit and miss at best (Jackson Hayes, Alexander-Walker, Louzada, Dyson Daniels, Herb Jones were acquired via those picks and resulting traded). Hart? Solid role player.

Net result? Ingram is a mid-level star limited by injuries (and on the trade block), Herb Jones (solid defender) are on the roster. Alexander-Walker has bounced around, Hayes is a flop, Hart has bounced around (but oddly might be the most valuable player in the deal).
You can’t use the players that were drafted with those picks as the Lakers would’ve surely drafted different players.

Hart is a better player than most of what the Lakers have outside of the starting 5.

Ingram is in the same boat as AD as far as impact/injury issues.

And even if you consider the trade a success because of the chip doesn’t mean they should do a similar trade again.

I contend they would’ve won a chip regardless. Ingram was an All Star player for several years before the injury bug hit. Hart and Kuzma were solid players already and would’ve continued to grow. Ball probably would’ve been traded regardless for a better PG.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ball is going to be out of the league before the others. Kuzma, Hart, and now Randle are all pretty decent players. Ingram is as well if stays healthy. Rumors indicate that Randle may be put on the trade block this summer.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course Bill Plaschke has to way in on the Rednick mess and kick the Lakers when they are going down. In this case, I have a tendency to agree with him, just a bit.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ball is going to be out of the league before the others. Kuzma, Hart, and now Randle are all pretty decent players. Ingram is as well if stays healthy. Rumors indicate that Randle may be put on the trade block this summer.

Kuzma and Randle weren't part of the AD trade though.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can’t use the players that were drafted with those picks as the Lakers would’ve surely drafted different players.

Hart is a better player than most of what the Lakers have outside of the starting 5.

Ingram is in the same boat as AD as far as impact/injury issues.

And even if you consider the trade a success because of the chip doesn’t mean they should do a similar trade again.

I contend they would’ve won a chip regardless. Ingram was an All Star player for several years before the injury bug hit. Hart and Kuzma were solid players already and would’ve continued to grow. Ball probably would’ve been traded regardless for a better PG.

Those are the results of the trade. That's what the Pels netted from the deal, basically just Ingram and Jones at this point (and BI appears on his way out). They do have that one pick still left (either this summer or next).

Ingram is not in the same boat. Ingram hasn't played as much as AD did this year since his rookie year. Ingram has the injury issues that everyone assumes that AD has. Plus, Ingram has never approached AD's level of play.

Kuzma wasn't part of the trade and WAS part of the chip with AD. Hart is not much different from KCP overall (better rebounder, but not offensively on par with KCP).

The kind of trade they can't afford to make again is the Russ trade, where the acquired star does not fit whatsoever and flames out quickly. THAT trade is arguably among the worst the Lakers have ever made.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ultimately, it doesn't matter. Mitchell is a pipe dream, as other teams can offer more than the Lakers and Gilbert won't want to trade with the Lakers regardless. I doubt the Jazz will move Markkenen either. The price for Young should be a bit cheaper, and I'm not as interested as I would be with Mitchell or Markk.

I would love for DLo to opt in to allow a trade. That might require a team being interested other than the Magic, who likely can sign him outright as a FA (unless they have other plans for their available cap space. Spurs might be able to get there too with a few moves. Keldon Johnson could be a slightly cheaper alternative to Bruce Brown if DLo opts in to enable a trade. A trade with the Magic would ideally involve Suggs and/or Isaac. I also wonder if the Suns would entertain a DLo/Woods for Allen/Little trade.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kuzma and Randle weren't part of the AD trade though.
Yes I know. I should have been more specific. I was addressing the larger issue that the Lakers got rid of a bunch of players they drafted that turned-out to be pretty good players but the Lakers were not patient enough to wait for their development. This was due to the mindset that they wanted to win now partially driven by the influences of James and AD and Pelinka's compliance.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shopson, I think the Lakers should stop with all of this signing a third "superstar" and just go with the mindset of a rebuild because James is going to be around for maybe two more seasons unless he opts out and leaves.

Focus on getting the right HC who can work with the present pieces. If a trade develops where we can move DRuss, Vincent, Reddish, and maybe Vanderbilt, then so be it.

Otherwise, keep the pieces, set some boundaries with regards to the influences of Klutch Sports and James, and get on with the rebuild.

I doubt any of that will happen but if they go the other course, they are going to suffer for years to come because they are now walking themselves into cap hell with the proposed max deal with James.

Just stop all of this crazy-ass shit and get back to building a contender like all four of the top teams have done.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is closer to reality and what should be done. Bruce Brown is a legit player and we could jettison Vincent and included players like Max Christie into the rotation with the right head coach.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes I know. I should have been more specific. I was addressing the larger issue that the Lakers got rid of a bunch of players they drafted that turned-out to be pretty good players but the Lakers were not patient enough to wait for their development. This was due to the mindset that they wanted to win now partially driven by the influences of James and AD and Pelinka's compliance.

Kuzma was pushing for a bigger role and wanted out. Randle was in somewhat of the same boat, leaving as a FA. Neither fit well with Lebron needing to defend PFs instead of SFs as he got older and less agile.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, for sure Shopson. There was a lot of bad chemistry and fitment issues that existed and that was a major contributor to moving those players. The other major contributing factor was the Lakers were not interested in developing young players so much as winning right now.