• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The John Stockton Thread

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
During the Knicks' game, Matt Harpring asked Stockton if they would've won a championship if Jordan didn't play. The obvious question was asking whether the Jazz would have beaten the other Eastern conference team but Stockton's reply was (basically) "sure, if you take Jordan out in Game 6..." I like his humor. We had a chance even with Jordan there. I'm sure part of Stockton doesn't like the idea that we didn't have a chance. All we know is that we didn't and that was t just bad luck. The Bulls and Jordan were great. Give Stockton and Malone Gobert with his rookie salary and we'd win it all.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks, but since we did know that the Bulls with Pippen and Jordan played, it would have been cooler to be the team that made them lose in the NBA Finals during that era.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy Birthday, John and birth week, Jerry.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also don't know about the starting PG Ricky Green, but he looks pretty good.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
During the Knicks' game, Matt Harpring asked Stockton if they would've won a championship if Jordan didn't play. The obvious question was asking whether the Jazz would have beaten the other Eastern conference team but Stockton's reply was (basically) "sure, if you take Jordan out in Game 6..." I like his humor. We had a chance even with Jordan there. I'm sure part of Stockton doesn't like the idea that we didn't have a chance. All we know is that we didn't and that was t just bad luck. The Bulls and Jordan were great. Give Stockton and Malone Gobert with his rookie salary and we'd win it all.

What are you talking about?

The Jazz had a chance.

They had a series lead.

They had leads in games.

They were leading after 3 quarters in this Game 5:

Chicago Bulls at Utah Jazz Box Score, June 11, 1997 | Basketball-Reference.com

They were leading for most of the game, until a few minutes left, in THIS game 6:

Utah Jazz at Chicago Bulls Box Score, June 13, 1997 | Basketball-Reference.com

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somewhere else, I have a "Wire To Wire Thread" in which I document games where the team has a wire to wire, or a near wire to wire. Near defined as having lead for 90% of the game, so for 43 minutes, 12 seconds.

If play-by-play were available, I think the Jazz would have lead for 90% of one of the two above games, at least.

Of course, they didn't do the last criteria for getting a mention in that thread, which is win the game.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are you talking about?

The Jazz had a chance.

They had a series lead.

They had leads in games.

They were leading after 3 quarters in this Game 5:

Chicago Bulls at Utah Jazz Box Score, June 11, 1997 | Basketball-Reference.com

They were leading for most of the game, until a few minutes left, in THIS game 6:

Utah Jazz at Chicago Bulls Box Score, June 13, 1997 | Basketball-Reference.com

Stockton didn't like the idea that someone else felt that we did not have a chance when we did. So, he answered the question with humor, instead of saying that they never had a chance because Jordan wasn't out.

"All I know is that we didn't win." Not didn't "have a chance."

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stockton didn't like the idea that someone else felt that we did not have a chance when we did. So, he answered the question with humor, instead of saying that they never had a chance because Jordan wasn't out.

"All I know is that we didn't win." Not didn't "have a chance."

Thanks for clarifying.

When I read "All I know is that we didn't", I thought you meant "didn't have a chance".

Also, maybe Harpring's question was not about implying that the Jazz didn't have a chance with Jordan, but maybe he wanted to gauge what percentage change the Jazz chances of winning were with Jordan vs. without.

Maybe in Stockton's mind, the percentage chance of the Jazz winning was 62% with Jordan, and 73% without.

So maybe removing Jordan would have only changed it by 11% more favorable in the Jazz favor.

Because the Bulls also had other good players, so they would have still been competitive.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching Kidd get inducted by Payton, among others, reminded me of how I'm still feeling incomplete about all of this.

Yes, Payton saying that Stockton was his toughest matchup to guard, is a good start.

But, I want to also know from Payton, who guarded him the best.

And who Stockton says was his toughest matchup to guard.

And who Stockton says guarded him the best.

I'd also like to know who Payton thought was his easiest matchup on offense.

And who Stockton thought was his easiest matchup on offense.

There's just more that I want to know from them.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whaaaaa? How in the world? Stockton did average more points and shots in the playoffs when it counted, but I did not know this:

Mitchell broke John Stockton's franchise playoff record with 11 assists, more than making up for his 6-of-21 shooting while playing point guard because Ricky Rubio was out with a hamstring injury.

Jazz's Mitchell: Decision to dunk happened midair

What does that quote mean? Stockton had playoffs games with more than 11 assists.

Stockton had 43 assists in his first playoffs, in 1985.

Mitchell had 46.

I guess it means Mitchell broke Stockton's assists total in his first playoffs year, when compared to Michell's first playoffs year.

But that's a contrived stat. It's limited to just the first time each player made the playoffs.

How about Mitchell, or Rubio, or whomever breaking Stockton's highest assists total for a single playoffs (217 in 1992)?