• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Houston Rockets Thread

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My plans to watch Houston on Friday might change.

I want to watch the World Baseball Classic, having missed it in 2006 and 2009.

I don't like DVRing baseball games unless it's the playoffs, and only then it has to be a special game. Baseball isn't as fun on the DVR, I just want to DVR through some ABs, and then when I do, I miss being "in the moment".

I also don't like DVRing regular season NBA games.

So something will have to give, and I'll probably just watch one or the other, in real-time.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston was on national TV again (NBA TV), but once again, the MLB Classic took a higher priority for me.

Nice comeback for them, though. 75 points in the second half.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what happens when you set low standards, you exceed them!

Jeremy Lin now has passed his shooting percentage from last year. He started the first 12 games shooting 42-126 (33%). He has since shot 286-606 (47.2%) to bring his season percentage to 44.7%. 44.6 was last year's percentage. He has also brought his three point percentage up to 33.7%, though I have to go back to find out what it was at the lowest to see where it's come from. He is 32-73 (43.8%) in the last 23 games, though. He was 37-132 (28.0%) before that, but I don't think that was his low. I think was at 12 games, too. He was 8-35 (22.8%) at that point and is 61-170 (35.9%) since. Obviously the last 23 is better than games 13-55 (29/97, 29.9%).

He has averaged 23 points the last three games and 17.6 in the last 8 and 15.1 in the last 20 games, but there's not enough time for him to raise his points above last year. I expect him to do so next year. He'll have a whole off-season and will know his role in the offense. With how awful he started this year (33%, <10 PPG, <6 assists), I think he can cut that bad start in half or better next year. 47.2% in 56 games is a good sample size if you know you'll have the same team next year.

My optimistic prediction for next season: 46%, 34%, 15 PPG, 6.3 assists, 3.3 rebounds.
My pessimistic prediction for 2013-14: 44%, 30%, 13.5 PPG, 6.0 assists, 3 .0 rebounds.

My pessimistic is better than 2012-13, but worse than 2011-12 (there were games before Linsanity that lowered that year's numbers). I want a significant improvement, but not expecting one bigger than that. Note, that these numbers are also in more minutes than 2011-12, so not really per se an improvement overall.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like watching Houston. All they do is take 3's. Or I guess Harden drives. Something about it is too predictable or inefficient.

It might work against bad defensive teams like the Jazz or Kings, but I don't think it's sophisticated enough against better teams.

They also don't do that well in the paint, nor do they seem to draw and-ones.

They also don't seem that good on defense.

OMG! Durant for 3, but it bounced off the top of the backboard and went back in!

Harden layup.

Reggie Jackson fouled for the Thunder.

102-101. 8.1 seconds left.

104-101 after the Reggie Jackson FTs.

Nice job Reggie. I'm not saying that because he's on the Thunder. But rather because he's not a well-known player, but he stepped up and made FTs in a close playoffs game.

Sucks for Garica. He hasn't been in the playoffs since 2006, and now he might not win a game in 2013.

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like watching Houston. All they do is take 3's. Or I guess Harden drives. Something about it is too predictable or inefficient.

It might work against bad defensive teams like the Jazz or Kings, but I don't think it's sophisticated enough against better teams.

They also don't do that well in the paint, nor do they seem to draw and-ones.

They also don't seem that good on defense.

I don't like watching their team at all either and the way they play Lin, I can barely watch him. If he played as the main guy, like he was in New York, he'd average less than that spurt but more than here and look better at it. I can't stand McHale's just-stand-at-the-three-point-line designation for Lin with the occasional drive. Argh! I don't like Houston, at least make it player-watching friendly!

Oh, and I don't care about defense at all if it's not my team. More offense for Lin or whoever I'm watching and individual defense by my player's great, but team, ehh - unless it leads to a fastbreak assist or shot make by my player. I don't have a "player" on the Jazz, as I root for the team, but Hayward is the closest I get to one.

I like Lin and Parsons but other than that. Don't like them. They are classless players when they have a big lead. They had a 50 point lead with 14 seconds to go and shotclock was gone and they shot a three - not to mention the jumping up and down at each shot. When you're up by 50, you can assume the other team has given up. Harden is good and bad, but I don't like or dislike him. Irrelevant scorer.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Relevant defensive player, passer, and rebounder.

True. But I think he gets noticed for his scoring. When your system or you as a player allow you to go 7-21 all the time, ehh. All it means is you shoot a lot. I respect Jordan, LeBron, etc. for their shooting a lot more, even though they have their off nights as well. But then again, no one is liking Harden to those type of players, either.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. But I think he gets noticed for his scoring. When your system or you as a player allow you to go 7-21 all the time, ehh. All it means is you shoot a lot. I respect Jordan, LeBron, etc. for their shooting a lot more, even though they have their off nights as well. But then again, no one is liking Harden to those type of players, either.

His versatility and ability to do more is mentioned often, when contrasted to Kevin Martin, who just contributes on scoring.

That's what made Harden better than Martin, that he could rebound, pass, and defend. Harden is averaging 5.8 assists and 1.8 steals, high marks for his position.

His defense was also mentioned in OKC, especially when he'd defend the other player's best perimeter player in the 4th (as opposed to Durant or Westbrook, who do it now in the 4th).

Some analysts said it was his defense against the Spurs that helped the Thunder win games, in the playoffs, last year.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston Rockets to make run at Chris Paul as well as Dwight Howard

I don't recommend this, but if the Jazz traded for Jeremy Lin if Paul goes to Houston, I won't be complaining. And let's take Chandler Parsons, too while we're at it.

I'm sure Nuraman would hate this, but as said, I wouldn't do this from a basketball standpoint. Just to get him on the team so I can watch him more. Hollinger's trade machine always had us losing more with him, no matter how I tried to trade him.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston Rockets to make run at Chris Paul as well as Dwight Howard

I don't recommend this, but if the Jazz traded for Jeremy Lin if Paul goes to Houston, I won' be complaining. And let's take Chandler Parsons, too while we're at it.

I'm sure Nuraman would hate this, but as said, I wouldn't do this from a basketball standpoint.
How can I hate a trade when I don't even know the details to it?

For all I know, Houston might be just doing a salary dump to clear cap space, so it could be Lin to Utah for a 1st round draft pick.

As Barkley would call it, that would be a sale.

Lin + Tinsley would be an improved PG combo over last year's Mo + Tinsley.

Lin also doesn't have a longterm contract, so flexibility is good, when we don't know whether these players would be good enough to lock in long term and really build around. Hopefully they would be, but if not, then that flexibility is good as an escape hatch.

I still think teams like Washington and Cleveland and maybe Portland others would be improving by more than the Jazz though (even without knowing that any of them are doing in the offseason), so the Jazz would have to make good frontcourt moves to make sure their overall rate of improvement was greater than other lottery teams' rate of improvement.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought this could happen, but I wish it hadn't. He's a good person, good player, can play well, and can play ehh. I guess I always hope that the players I follow don't succumb to this and just are focused with a great perspective, but they're all human.

Jeremy Lin Says Living Up to Linsanity Affected Play

Even Alex Smith, my favorite current player in sports said that he was thinking about his performance, how he was doing, stats, making every play (instead of playing smart), etc.

Alex Smith: Just Play Quarterback the Right Way

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This IS over-the-top, but this reminds me of Alex Smith. Jeremy Lin is my favorite non-Jazz player, just like Smith is my favorite NFL player, though I recognize each's strengths and weaknesses.

Bloodied Jeremy Lin saves Rockets from coaching blunder, shows class - CultureMap Houston

10-14 days for Beverley to heal. They want Lin to come off the bench because Harden and Lin need the ball to be effective. Lin is not a spot-up shooter, something that McHale has tried to use him as when Harden is in, not as a PG who can slash and shoot. As much as I like Lin, he's not good at spot-up shooting. Frustrates me that they use him that way. If I had my way, he'd average 15-20 points, 6-10 assists, 2-3 steals, and lose by one point each game. I'm not a Rockets' fan. I guess, as long as the Jazz aren't in the 8-10 spot in the standings, it doesn't matter. They could win.

Jeremy Lin back as Houston Rockets starter with injured Patrick Beverley out - ESPN

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They poison pilled Lin's contract for nothing (bench).

He's playing 28.9 minutes. That's more than many starters.

It's not for nothing since they're playing him so much.

He turns the ball over too much.

He's 2nd worst on the team in turnover rate, with only Asik worse.

Tell him to work on his game and become a better ball handler.

Because Harden and Howard turn it over so much, it looks like the rest of the starters are low turnover players (Jones, Beverly, Parsons).

If he were on the Jazz, you would be happy because he'd get a lot of minutes and possibly start too. He could start with Burke too.

The Jazz don't have good guards so there would be a lot of opportunity for him.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's playing 28.9 minutes. That's more than many starters.

It's not for nothing since they're playing him so much.

He turns the ball over too much.

He's 2nd worst on the team in turnover rate, with only Asik worse.

Tell him to work on his game and become a better ball handler.

Because Harden and Howard turn it over so much, it looks like the rest of the starters are low turnover players (Jones, Beverly, Parsons).

If he were on the Jazz, you would be happy because he'd get a lot of minutes and possibly start too. He could start with Burke too.

The Jazz don't have good guards so there would be a lot of opportunity for him.

I don't care if he's any good. I just want to have him play every day starting. It gives me something to look at daily (box scores) and games when they are national. I used to track him and his play. I have less time now with the kids and his benching was the straw that broke the camels back. He's fallen into the realm of "do they really want him?" or "are they limiting him?"

To me, it doesn't matter if they are or are not, it's tainted. To me, it doesn't matter if his playing justifies it or not, it's tainted. They signed him to a deal to start and now I question if they are doing what they can to make it work. Maybe it's better for Houston, but I'm not a Houston fan and they are not doing things to make it work for him (I saw a lot of comments when he was benched saying Houston knew they made a mistake when they really benched him to help the second team and play him when he could have the ball and not Harden). I'm looking for what is best for Lin. He averaged more as a starter. (Not talking splits as I feel he'd have to be permanent starter, not when Beverley is injured starter, for me to think they are working it around him.)

His deal was pre-Harden and they didn't start off well together - but they had a much better second half of 2012 than first half (or 12 terrible first games to be more precise). Just continue that plus Howard.

I watch for different reasons than most. That's why I like Burke more than Carter-Williams or Deron Williams for that matter when he was here. That's why I couldn't stand Jimmer Fredette even if he were good. Stay away, I want to root for my players.

I will never care about what Houston as a team does, just get Lin to start somewhere in the right system and coaching and watch from afar (don't need him on the Jazz because the interests would f*** with each other - I'd have to care if his play cost the Jazz. I might have to support benching him for the good of the team. Screw that. Play somewhere else and start in a good system/coaching that believe in you. Stay healthy.).

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's still playing a lot of minutes.

More than 42 starters in the league.

More minutes than Paul Pierce and Carlos Boozer.

More minutes than Kevin Garnett.

More minutes than Kenneth Faried or Marvin Williams.

0.3 minutes per game less than Tim Duncan, and 0.5 minutes per game less than Tony Parker.

What if he started, but played less minutes than he does now?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His deal was pre-Harden and they didn't start off well together - but they had a much better second half of 2012 than first half (or 12 terrible first games to be more precise). Just continue that plus Howard.

Howard changes the dynamic a lot.

When Asik was starting in 2012-2013, he was a low turnover player.

Now that Howard starts, Howard is a super turnover player.

With Harden and Howard, they turn the ball over a lot. Houston is already 29th in the league in turnovers.

If they added Lin, they would get even worse at turnovers.

Hence, if Lin improved himself and turned the ball over less, he would be able to both help himself, and his team.

If you want what's best for him, then that's becoming a better player and more reliable ball handler.

He played worse last year as a starter. His TS% was .538. This year, his TS% was .572.

His ORTG jumped from 106 last year to 109 this year.

His FT% went from 78% to 82%.

So he's doing better this year, but you preferred the year he played more but worse.

He had a -0.4 PER in the playoffs last year, and this year it was 12.4.

It's better for him if he plays well when he does play. And he's playing almost as many minutes as last year.

For him to be a better fit with Howard, he'd have to improve his ball handling and turnover rate.

You can't ignore the bad games. The whole season counts. If Houston got off to a bad start, just because they played better later on doesn't mean the 1st half can be ignored. It's still valid and meaningful data, and provides a larger sample size of performance.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will never care about what Houston as a team does, just get Lin to start somewhere in the right system

There is no system that works by having its lead guard turn the ball over a lot.

Lin, Howard, and Harden love turnovers, and not the apple kind.

5mDPdvf.png