• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Gonzo side of Country

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You would not have been a fan of some of the guys of old country...... they didn't show up sometimes for gigs.

I would have loved to have been at one of George Jones's famous no shows. Nearly happened one time.

I used to have front row seats every year at Lanier Land for George Jones and backstage passes to meet him.

Conway Twitty's retarded son, Michael was the opening act, and he was terrible. Out of tune, voice wasn't deep enough and he had this fat bitch trying to be Loretta Lynn(I saw her too and she was great). They played about 30 minutes over their time and George was threatening to leave, so they cut the power on the dude.

Given I had already seen George numerous times, I wouldn't have minded a no show just for the stories.

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DAC is my sittin around the fire, slammin Bud Lites (or whatever hooch is avail) & talkin major shyt musik.

#GootTimes

Oh I am right there with ya. Smoking a J and drinking some hooch. Fishing. Campfires. Staring at stars.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have loved to have been at one of George Jones's famous no shows. Nearly happened one time.

I used to have front row seats every year at Lanier Land for George Jones and backstage passes to meet him.

Conway Twitty's retarded son, Michael was the opening act, and he was terrible. Out of tune, voice wasn't deep enough and he had this fat bitch trying to be Loretta Lynn(I saw her too and she was great). They played about 30 minutes over their time and George was threatening to leave, so they cut the power on the dude.

Given I had already seen George numerous times, I wouldn't have minded a no show just for the stories.

And I've been to a Hank Jr concert where he was nearly too drunk to stand. He put on a hell of a show too.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never seen, or read it.

He wears jewelry that's Gonzo or something, I think.
Oh, I don't know anything about that. Hunter S Thompson's journalistic style was dubbed Gonzo journalism. Figured that's where you were going.

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would love to have seen him. I wasn't much of a concert goer so I only have a handful of stories. Best one was ZZ Top jamming at the Cotton Bowl as a storm rolled over Dallas. Seeing Hank Jr at Six Flags was awesome as he bitched out the security. That was the Born to Boogie Tour. Also saw The Who and Stevie Ray was one of the opening acts.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love that song.

The bastards changed the name of the actual road to Copperhead Hollow Road because people kept stealing the sign. Had they not, I would have added one more to the list.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bastards changed the name of the actual road to Copperhead Hollow Road because people kept stealing the sign. Had they not, I would have added one more to the list.
Hell, that's roadtrip worthy right there.

Well, it woulda been.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I've been to a Hank Jr concert where he was nearly too drunk to stand. He put on a hell of a show too.
Saw him in Hampton around '88ish. Absolutely floored by live, in-concert talent & all the instruments he played.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to have seen him. I wasn't much of a concert goer so I only have a handful of stories. Best one was ZZ Top jamming at the Cotton Bowl as a storm rolled over Dallas. Seeing Hank Jr at Six Flags was awesome as he bitched out the security. That was the Born to Boogie Tour. Also saw The Who and Stevie Ray was one of the opening acts.
My all-time fave blues geetarist. Never got to see him before the crash.

I still remember the exact place, time & what I was doing when I heard on the radio. :bawling: