• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Five Most Overrated Classic Rock Artists

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one views Elvis as a game changing artist, song writer or musician... He never composed a single song. lol. For fuck's sake.

Elvis to The Beatles is a horrible analogy. They're credited and praised for very different things. Own it.
Again, glad you understand. See guy arguing he created rock and roll for reference, if you still think no one sees him as a game changing artist.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Black artists prior to Elvis created rock n roll by combining country and R&B.

He did open the door for black artists by popularizing it.

I never said his influence was anything other than hugely impactful. That would be absurd.

I have stated that he never composed a song of his own and that his influence on music is that of a behemoth performer/idol. As opposed to other various artists from the mid to mid-late 20th century who changed the way that popular music is approached, recorded, composed... etc... forever.
And all the black artists (like Robert Johnson) just added guitar to old songs that slaves used to sing on the plantations. So, in essence, without slavery, there never would have been rock and roll. Just think about that the next time you are tempted to topple a Confederate statue, buster.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to be overrated you have to be rated in the first place. KISS doesn't meet that criteria. Guns N Roses on the other hand, they are overrated.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all of them

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to be overrated you have to be rated in the first place. KISS doesn't meet that criteria. Guns N Roses on the other hand, they are overrated.
No, Axlhole Rose is overrated, but the band, overall, is not. A band with Slash as the lead guitarist can not be over-rated.

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without the Beatles, Barrack and the Obaminos never would have recorded Layla.
That's cuz Layla was inspired by Clapton being hopelessly in love with Harrison's wife, Patti Boyd.
Eric married and divorced her later..."Wonderful Tonight" was supposedly about her.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gun n Roses overrated?? Get the fuck out of here.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Radiohead
I'm not sure I'd call Radiohead overrated but its very jarring to see top musician lists and Radiohead is the only rock song or album to show up from the past 20 years. It'd be like if the football HOF just had Tom Brady and didn't recognize anyone else from this era.

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Queen
Van Halen
AC/DC
Radiohead
Kiss - This has an asterisk because I don't think many revere them for their music... so for #6 -
U2

I’d replace AC/DC with the Doors, but otherwise I think you have it right. I don’t think anyone ever rated AC/DC as anything other than straightforward, uncomplicated rock music.

Reactions: GNG

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm looking at Ranker and the first band that immediately jumps out as overrated is Aerosmith at #13. I feel like they have a lot of 'okay' songs but if I removed their entire catalog from existence then it might take me a few years to even notice.

Apparently Ranker has Journey at #37. Get out of here with that.

The Doors are probably about 10 spots too high for me at #9.

From there its easier to argue that there are bands on there that are underrated and not overrated.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm looking at Ranker and the first band that immediately jumps out as overrated is Aerosmith at #13. I feel like they have a lot of 'okay' songs but if I removed their entire catalog from existence then it might take me a few years to even notice.

Apparently Ranker has Journey at #37. Get out of here with that.

The Doors are probably about 10 spots too high for me at #9.

From there its easier to argue that there are bands on there that are underrated and not overrated.
Aerosmith was way better when Tyler and Perry were still on drugs. Sobriety killed they're creativity.

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aerosmith’s catalog is probably as impressive or more so than any band that isn’t the Beatles/Stones/Led/Who

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aerosmith’s catalog is probably as impressive or more so than any band that isn’t the Beatles/Stones/Led/Who
Is it? Their biggest hit by a large margin is "I dont want to lose a thing". Their 2nd biggest hit is "Angel". Maybe 6 out of their next 10 biggest singles are good but its hard to ignore the amount of cheese pop like "Cryin"

I am getting the feeling that I'm too young for this thread.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
at least my most treasured bands haven't ended up in this thread yet:

grand funk railroad
supertramp
foghat
bachman-turner overdrive
edwin mccain

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it? Their biggest hit by a large margin is "I dont want to lose a thing". Their 2nd biggest hit is "Angel". Maybe 6 out of their next 10 biggest singles are good but its hard to ignore the amount of cheese pop like "Cryin"

The longevity of their songs is really impressive. They have to easily be in the Top 10 in terms of radio airplay in the classic rock genre. Maybe even 5th. Their music has aged better than most of their contemporaries IMO.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thoughts based on what’s going on here, the original list from the OP video is obviously worthless.

KISS isn’t overrated, everyone, even their fans these days, acknowledge they’re garbage aside from the spectacle.

Van Halen, not my cup of tea, but not overrated. They’re good at what they do.

Springsteen, probably. But I appreciate his work.

I want to argue for Nirvana not being overrated (because I love Nirvana), but it’s hard to do. If Kurt Cobain didn’t go out when and how he did, they’d be remembered fondly for their role, but probably would have broken up before the grunge era “ended,” and Pearl Jam or Soundgarden would be the first thing that comes to mind for that movement for most people. Also, whenever Cobain shows up on a greatest guitarists list, it’s embarrassing, like saying Elvis is your favorite singer.

Elvis is yes, think I made my thoughts on that clear in that other garbage thread.

Aerosmith, I don’t get the hate, honestly. They’re prime was a little before my time, so I can’t speak to that, but they aren’t flaunted and constantly given a bunch of undeserved credit that I’ve ever seen to call them overrated, I’ve also always thought they’re a solid rock outfit.

AC/DC I can get behind. Kind of see them as Aerosmith, with more of the hype I’ve apparently missed with Aerosmith.

I always considered AC/DC to be sort of a dumbed down and slowed down Aerosmith, who themselves were considered a dumbed down and slowed down Rolling Stones at the time. Plodding, extremely simplistic 3rd rate songs but perfect for people with no sense of rhythm who like their rock & roll very simple and very loud... and there are apparently a lot of them.