• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The First 2018 College Football Playoff

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To my point about garbage preseason rankings dictating rankings throughout the year.....

LSUs lofty ranking all got started by beating a Miami team that was way overranked in the preseason poll. They are now 5-4 and just lost to Duke.

LSU also lost to a clearly not good Florida team who just got wrecked by a bad Missouri team
LSU is just a product of the flawed ranking system. LSU was also very close to being upset by Louisiana Tech. the ranking system has the same flaws as the play offs. They're based on the AP's opinion or Coaches who will always naturally have agendas.....I get some people fear change or raising the completion level. But I still see no valid argument against finding a concrete selection system earned on the field. Conferences all using the same formats.Or expanding the play offs. Too many flaws in the current system confirmed by actual facts .Anything I've read against improving the system is based on semantics and opinion nothing solid.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same difference.....

We will always disagree on this. If you're good with choosing the best 4 teams based on the opinion of a committee with no actual criteria thats your choice

I prefer the games decided on the field. And higher competition levels and meaningful games rather than teams watering down schedules. And utilizing opinions to "decide" the best teams.But thats my preference......

I'll agree to disagree

It obviously could never happen, but on premise I agree that fans are more qualified to vote the 4 best teams than any single person on the committee. None of them have the ability or time to do anything other than box score 90% of the games.

Schedules is where I disagree, sure most teams play OOC cupcakes but it has worked out in the favor of P5 teams like UW and against teams like Ohio State. The scheduling thing will never get “fixed” until the P5 conference commissioners commit suicide and care about college football and fans more than their job. We can bitch all we want but scheduling will never be a priority for any AD/commissioner. UW’s AD went bold with scheduling Auburn but at the same time scheduled the second (arguably the 3rd) best team in North Dakota. Not California but fucking North Dakota.

There is no fixing the playoff, even expanding to 8 the last 3 will have an issue because there is a huge issue this year proving why. How in the hell can anyone honestly put Notre Dame and UCF in? With Notre Dame taking the 6th slot there is no way any rational person who could put UCF in over any of the 1 or 2 loss P5 teams.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It obviously could never happen, but on premise I agree that fans are more qualified to vote the 4 best teams than any single person on the committee. None of them have the ability or time to do anything other than box score 90% of the games.

Schedules is where I disagree, sure most teams play OOC cupcakes but it has worked out in the favor of P5 teams like UW and against teams like Ohio State. The scheduling thing will never get “fixed” until the P5 conference commissioners commit suicide and care about college football and fans more than their job. We can bitch all we want but scheduling will never be a priority for any AD/commissioner. UW’s AD went bold with scheduling Auburn but at the same time scheduled the second (arguably the 3rd) best team in North Dakota. Not California but fucking North Dakota.

There is no fixing the playoff, even expanding to 8 the last 3 will have an issue because there is a huge issue this year proving why. How in the hell can anyone honestly put Notre Dame and UCF in? With Notre Dame taking the 6th slot there is no way any rational person who could put UCF in over any of the 1 or 2 loss P5 teams.
The problem with the current ranking system. Is it relies far to heavily on human influence. Its based more in politics than actually gauging teams based on skill.

The problem with scheduling is it lacks uniformity. In order to get an actual gauge all conferences would have to agree on a common amount of conference games. And a standard for OOC games 1 P5 2 G5 2 P5 2 G5 etc.....

The biggest flaw thats been exposed as far as scheduling. Is within comparisons of teams regarding play off spots. The committee has no set criteria. Their criteria changes to suit their "decision. When comparing two teams and

Team A is 11-2 , played an extra game and won their conference. While playing an OOC that included 2 P5 teams and a G5 12 P5s and 1 G5 total

is left out in place of

Team B who was 11-1,finished 3rd in their conference 2nd in their division. And played an OOC that included 2 G5 teams and an FCS team

When 2 teams both have 11 wins and the tie breaker is a second loss when Team A played a stronger schedule.

Rather than using the conference championship as the tie breaker thats a major flaw.And it encourages teams to play weaker schedules, miss CCGs and avoid that "2nd" loss.

11-2 with a CCG and stronger SOS > 11- 1 with a weak schedule and no championship

At some point their going to have to find a concrete method in regards to play off qualifications.And preferably expand the play offs. Right now it relies far too much on human influence and "debates". And not enough on the games played on the field

Btw congrats that was a big win going down the stretch :suds:

Bedlam131

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At some point their going to have to find a concrete method in regards to play off qualifications.And preferably expand the play offs

This. So much this. The Big 12 reinstituted a CCG because in previous years the 13th data point was all important. Then last year, the "Committee" basically said, that 13th data point doesn't mean shit. And frankly, if they used the "criteria" that they used last year, and used it in the first year, TCU should have been in over FSU. The "criteria" the committee uses shapes how conferences schedule and format their conferences but, with changing "criteria" for admittance and a bit of conference bias, they get to pretty much pick who they want and has anyone noticed the teams picked travel well for the most part?

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at Missouri showin how dag gum skrong the SEC is! Sure they have 4 losses but Florida would clearly be undefeated in any other conference. SEC #1 (this is how the sports media will spin this garbage) 8
OSU almost lost to Nebraska after getting absolutely embarrassed by Purdue. You’re upset about the wrong things...

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LSU is just a product of the flawed ranking system. LSU was also very close to being upset by Louisiana Tech. the ranking system has the same flaws as the play offs. They're based on the AP's opinion or Coaches who will always naturally have agendas.....I get some people fear change or raising the completion level. But I still see no valid argument against finding a concrete selection system earned on the field. Conferences all using the same formats.Or expanding the play offs. Too many flaws in the current system confirmed by actual facts .Anything I've read against improving the system is based on semantics and opinion nothing solid.
LSU hasnt played 1 FBS team with a losing record...Every FBS team they have played has a winning record. Including Curbstomping #5 UGA by 3 TDs and #18 Miss.State by 3 scores as well. They are a very legit team that ran into an all-time great team Saturday.

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To my point about garbage preseason rankings dictating rankings throughout the year.....

LSUs lofty ranking all got started by beating a Miami team that was way overranked in the preseason poll. They are now 5-4 and just lost to Duke.

LSU also lost to a clearly not good Florida team who just got wrecked by a bad Missouri team
Mizzou won in West Lafayette against Purdue(something tOSU cant say) and Destroyed a good Florida team in Gainesville(even though it was obvious UF has just given up now)They are 5-4, but they are a legit 5-4 with 3 of those losses to top 10 teams coming into this week.

Every FBS team LSU has played has a winning record. They are legit, they just ran into a buzzsaw. I would pick them on a neutral field against everyone but Bama and Clemson.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are a straight up tard if you think LSU was ranked too high going into this weekend. You can cherry pick enough to criticize any team’s resume so you can bitch about their ranking if you want to. It’s also nice that you can do it in a bubble to try to make a shitty point without having to justify who who’d rank ahead of them.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kentucky clearly not good.....Florida clearly not good.....Texas A&M lol. "2 SEC TEAMS WOULD BE A GOOD PLAYOFF!!! WHY HATE?" - @WizardHawk
Why the fuck are you tagging me? Where did I say any of those teams were good? :L

I ask you why hate? I'm not the one crying over the existing system. We have a playoff that works. Period.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a year that everyone outside of maybe 3 or 4 teams seems to be in a race to prove how mediocre they can be, the morons are gonna come out of the woodworks to complain that some poor mediocre team is destined to be left out.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And how many of those will be ranked at years end?

What the fuck does preseason rankings have to do with any of this? Nothing.

They are entirely worked out of the system well before the playoffs.

Teams are over and underrated every single year and always have been. They will be forever. That by no means says those early rankings still exist at seasons end. If anything, you bringing up Florida, Miami, etc are proof it works. Thought they might be good and got ranked, weren't and got dropped. Where's the problem? :L

There are a couple of you that are just plain confused and wrong about college football and looking to invent problems that simply do not exist.

Here's a clue: If it was good for football we would already have it. There's exactly zero chance that things that only some bucknut fan and clarky insist has to happen are somehow better than what every single person who works in this industry and is responsible for doing what's best for it.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This. So much this. The Big 12 reinstituted a CCG because in previous years the 13th data point was all important. Then last year, the "Committee" basically said, that 13th data point doesn't mean shit. And frankly, if they used the "criteria" that they used last year, and used it in the first year, TCU should have been in over FSU. The "criteria" the committee uses shapes how conferences schedule and format their conferences but, with changing "criteria" for admittance and a bit of conference bias, they get to pretty much pick who they want and has anyone noticed the teams picked travel well for the most part?
When you look at the selection process since the inception of the play offs. The only thing that is clear is the committee doesn't actually have a criteria. We've already seen TCU and Baylor left out of the play offs. Based on not having a conference champion or playing a CCG. Penn State being left out despite winning the head to head and conference in favor of Ohio State. Ohio State being left out despite having the same win total,a conference championship and a stronger schedule over Alabama who finished 3rd in their conference. The current system resembles the blueprint for marketing more than football. If the NCAA actually wants a true champion they're going to have to reduce the human influence and the game played off the field.And provide a system that relies more on the game played on the field

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jfc, clark is completely consumed with last year's 4th place pick. Like his entire world ended that day. Seriously. :pound:

Now he's on insisting the proof that this system is broken is LSU wasn't ranked before they played bama, where they ended up after playing them.

Let that sink in a minute. lol

Rankings don't work because they aren't predictive. That's basically what he's saying. :L

These two invent new stupid ways of showing how little they understand about football every week. At least give them credit for originality within their stupidity. I'll give them that.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LSU hasnt played 1 FBS team with a losing record...Every FBS team they have played has a winning record. Including Curbstomping #5 UGA by 3 TDs and #18 Miss.State by 3 scores as well. They are a very legit team that ran into an all-time great team Saturday.
I was never sold on LSU or Florida. As per LSU. I ralso wouldnt use LSU's defense as a gauge

QB A 330 yars Passing 3 TD’s 1 Int

QB B 225 yards passing 2 TD 1 Int

I won't name the QB's both stat lines were against the LSU defense.. But it is a great example of hype

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you look at the selection process since the inception of the play offs. The only thing that is clear is the committee doesn't actually have a criteria. We've already seen TCU and Baylor left out of the play offs. Based on not having a conference champion or playing a CCG. Penn State being left out despite winning the head to head and conference in favor of Ohio State. Ohio State being left out despite having the same win total,a conference championship and a stronger schedule over Alabama who finished 3rd in their conference. The current system resembles the blueprint for marketing more than football. If the NCAA actually wants a true champion they're going to have to reduce the human influence and the game played off the field.And provide a system that relies more on the game played on the field

It’s pretty easy to understand their thought process and reasoning. I’ll sum it up real easy for you, don’t suck, win all your games, have some of those games against teams that also don’t suck, and boom, you get a chance to prove it.

Similarly

Lose some games, prove nothing by kicking th shit out of inferior competition all year, and oh shit, you’re not guaranteed shit outside of a typical bowl game when the season ends.

I can make it even more concise if it helps-they are looking for the 4 best teams, do the shit top 4 teams do and you’re in.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jfc, clark is completely consumed with last year's 4th place pick. Like his entire world ended that day. Seriously. :pound:

Now he's on insisting the proof that this system is broken is LSU wasn't ranked before they played bama, where they ended up after playing them.

Let that sink in a minute. lol

Rankings don't work because they aren't predictive. That's basically what he's saying. :L

These two invent new stupid ways of showing how little they understand about football every week. At least give them credit for originality within their stupidity. I'll give them that.
You may want to read pretty sure TCU/Baylor and OSU Penn State were in fact not last year. I covered the span and inconsistencies in the play offs since its inception......

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How are people really this clueless? I can't understand how it is even possible.

There is no individual decision made by the playoff committee that says x can never be used again or only y is used.

It is a clear overreaction to even suggest it. And that's if you aren't simply functionally retarded.

No, the committee did NOT say conf champs means nothing. They said it doesn't mean everything. That's entirely different. They didn't say go make a crap schedule and you are in. They said don't get blown out by shit teams and have that stain on your record when everything else is similar between you and another team.

If any of you actually honestly believe that CCG are no longer factored in at all or have any impact at all seriously go have a brain scan. It has to be cancer.

Seriously.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s pretty easy to understand their thought process and reasoning. I’ll sum it up real easy for you, don’t suck, win all your games, have some of those games against teams that also don’t suck, and boom, you get a chance to prove it.

Similarly

Lose some games, prove nothing by kicking th shit out of inferior competition all year, and oh shit, you’re not guaranteed shit outside of a typical bowl game when the season ends.

I can make it even more concise if it helps-they are looking for the 4 best teams, do the shit top 4 teams do and you’re in.
That would be inconsistent with the selection results. And promote weaker regular season scheduling......

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You may want to read pretty sure TCU/Baylor and OSU Penn State were in fact not last year. I covered the span and inconsistencies in the play offs since its inception......
I stopped at your tirade over LSU and insisting their ranking BEFORE getting waxed by bama was proof the system is broken. I don't have to read more stupid bullshit spin to deal with that element.

It's pretty stupid, even by your standards.

LSU was ranked based on how they had played. They are now ranked lower because they lost. That's how rankings work slick. :L

And guess what, they will go down again if they lose again. And get this... they might go back up if they have another quality win somewhere. (gasp).

Jesus, get a freaking grasp on reality already.