• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Fallout: Great Article on the Seattle Game

Number7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty good article. I disagree the Seattle "exposed" Kaepernick and the offense though, only because if anyone has been watching the past 5/6 games, it's been obvious this offense is horrible. We've gotten away with some wins because the opposing teams defenses aren't good our their offenses are THAT bad, but in reality, this offense has been "bottoming out" (as I read on twitter) for a while now, it's just taken the leagues best D and a prime time game for people to notice.

The article points out the biggest problems though:

1. Kaepernick isn't that good.
2. The scheme he is running doesn't fit the one good thing he is good at, running!

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Pretty good article. I disagree the Seattle "exposed" Kaepernick and the offense though, only because if anyone has been watching the past 5/6 games, it's been obvious this offense is horrible. We've gotten away with some wins because the opposing teams defenses aren't good our their offenses are THAT bad, but in reality, this offense has been "bottoming out" (as I read on twitter) for a while now, it's just taken the leagues best D and a prime time game for people to notice.

The article points out the biggest problems though:

1. Kaepernick isn't that good.
2. The scheme he is running doesn't fit the one good thing he is good at, running!

yep, our offense has been struggling all season, just noticed more via a prime time game. Also, the Seattle defense is good in any case.

also agree Kaepernick is good, but not good enough. While I'm not calling for him to replaced immediately, I'd seriously consider drafting our next QB. Today's NFL requires a top passing QB, which he is not. He is good between the 20's throwing downfield, but otherwise not good enough overall.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
also, it is not all on Kaep, only he is noticed the most. Felt the O-line could've done a little better job too - both run and pass protect.

Wilson has a lot of intangibles and it shows on the field, IMO more so than the scheme they run.

I like the blitzing Fangio called, some were good calls but just not finished. the blitzer needs to slow down a little just before he gets there. they are too easily juked out and then the D is exposed to big plays.

Number7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, most of their big plays came on Wilson's ability to scramble. Most defenses can't cover everyone in 2 or 3 people miss their chance to tackle Wilson. Which happened a lot. We need to adjust next time and realize what he's doing. I think with the hype of the game and the offense being so terrible added to this. Guys wanted to make the big play, going full speed with all their energy. You've gotta play Wilson differently than that though, he is way to good at avoiding rushers at full speed. Especially when he knows it's coming.

As for the O-line, I didn't really think this was one of their worse games. I would love to have blamed it on them (as I have in the past) but didn't see it last night.

As for Kap, I think it's actually about time he gets the blame. Most fans give him excuse after excuse, so at least maybe he will have to realize what he's doing is not working. I do think the scheme is completely wrong for him. Why they have taken away the read-option or just plain QB runs I do not know. I really don't see them changing though, they haven't all year. And it really hasn't worked.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah, most of their big plays came on Wilson's ability to scramble. Most defenses can't cover everyone in 2 or 3 people miss their chance to tackle Wilson. Which happened a lot. We need to adjust next time and realize what he's doing. I think with the hype of the game and the offense being so terrible added to this. Guys wanted to make the big play, going full speed with all their energy. You've gotta play Wilson differently than that though, he is way to good at avoiding rushers at full speed. Especially when he knows it's coming.

As for the O-line, I didn't really think this was one of their worse games. I would love to have blamed it on them (as I have in the past) but didn't see it last night.

As for Kap, I think it's actually about time he gets the blame. Most fans give him excuse after excuse, so at least maybe he will have to realize what he's doing is not working. I do think the scheme is completely wrong for him. Why they have taken away the read-option or just plain QB runs I do not know. I really don't see them changing though, they haven't all year. And it really hasn't worked.

yeah, not placing equal blame on the O-line, just felt they could've done a little better.

Kaep should get the blame when he plays poorly, as he did yesterday. so it is very ok if he is critiqued, just that some posts are flying way off the handle.

Number7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's true, I'm sure it will cool off after a bit. It's just hard to watch a game like that and have any faith in him, especially since this year has not been good as it is. The truth is Kap is our guy regardless, at least for this year and next so as much as people are calling for him to get benched, it's just not happening. Which means I really hope they make adjustments on offense because this whole poket-passer thing is just not working, against good or bad defenses.

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
The blitzing also got us in trouble on the RB screens, no one picked up the RB in the flat

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Russell Wilson is so great at moving around to buy time.

So many times you think you have him and he buys time, and by then things have broken down somewhere in the secondary and he makes a big play.

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

So many times you think you have him and he buys time, and by then things have broken down somewhere in the secondary and he makes a big play.

He had time to fall down get back up, fumble the ball pick it up and continue running! Also do the same play to Willson about 12 times!

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That's true, I'm sure it will cool off after a bit. It's just hard to watch a game like that and have any faith in him, especially since this year has not been good as it is. The truth is Kap is our guy regardless, at least for this year and next so as much as people are calling for him to get benched, it's just not happening. Which means I really hope they make adjustments on offense because this whole poket-passer thing is just not working, against good or bad defenses.

agree, Kaep is our QB the rest of this season. They have to keep playing on so it doesn't get worse.

I'm sure Roman will start to use other stuff, simply because he has to. but can't help believe Harbaugh's style is also in play?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This is a good article too:

San Francisco 49ers News ? Niner Insider Blog » Steve Young and the art of molding a mobile quarterback

The two most important things I got out of it are:

1. It's going to take a while to complete this project. Steve Young said it would take 3 to 4 years.

2. Steve Young has noticed improvements in Kaepernick's game this season.

Kaep is a good QB but he isn't going to be an elite one. If he already had "elite" intangibles, it would've shown by now. If he was going to improve with any significance, it would've shown by now.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

there in lies the difference, Kaep has bought time too but what he does with it is the difference. Wilson will get more plays out of it, than Kaep.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kaep is a good QB but he isn't going to be an elite one. If he already had "elite" intangibles, it would've shown by now. If he was going to improve with any significance, it would've shown by now.

I'm not sure what you mean by "elite" intangibles. Anyway, Steve Young said it would take 3 to 4 years. In addition to bad games, Kaepernick has had good games, too. Peaks and valleys are to be expected in this project that the Niners have embarked on. The question is will the Niners see it through?

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there in lies the difference, Kaep has bought time too but what he does with it is the difference. Wilson will get more plays out of it, than Kaep.

Wilson is a much better scrambler than Kaepernick. While Kaepernick might have better straight line speed, it is without a doubt that Wilson is quicker in confined spaces and has more agility. He'll always be better at extending plays than Kaepernick. This puts even more onus on Kaepernick to become an excellent passer from the pocket.

Number7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the difference between Kap and Wilson scrambling is that Wilson has composure. Kap outside of the pocket (inside too actually) looks scared an uncomfortable. Even when he makes plays the throws are off. Wilson looks as comfortable outside of the pocket as any if the top QBs do inside the pocket. Wilson's ability to keep his cool is something Kap has never had. I'm not sure he will.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm not sure what you mean by "elite" intangibles. Anyway, Steve Young said it would take 3 to 4 years. In addition to bad games, Kaepernick has had good games, too. Peaks and valleys are to be expected in this project that the Niners have embarked on. The question is will the Niners see it through?

yeah sorry, it is a broad term. what I mean is Peyton has elite intangibles in the passing game, Rodgers, Brady, and Brees too. They can see the field better, make quicker decisions, all more consistently than other QB's. Kaep has passing intangibles, just not enough to reach the next level.

Kaep WAS a project when he first took over, but shouldn't be one now. Not only has he gotten more than enough game experience, he is playing for a GOOD team. but again, NOT calling for his replacement (especially in season) and NOT saying Kaep is totally useless. He has played better than most QB's we'd have gotten. However, our expectations are sky high for the team, and we place much more pressure on him.

Number7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agree, Kaep is our QB the rest of this season. They have to keep playing on so it doesn't get worse.

I'm sure Roman will start to use other stuff, simply because he has to. but can't help believe Harbaugh's style is also in play?

I'm not so sure. It's not like this is the only game where our offense has been really terrible. It's been masked by close wins but we really haven't changed a thing offensively the entire year. Will that change? I'm not going to believe it until I see it.

And yeah, Harbaugh and Roman need to sit down and realize ITS NOT WORKING. change it or we don't win the next four games. Not that we will anyway, but they have to realize relying on Kap to throw us to victories inside the pocket is not the answer. They haven't seen it in 12 games though.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah sorry, it is a broad term. what I mean is Peyton has elite intangibles in the passing game, Rodgers, Brady, and Brees too. They can see the field better, make quicker decisions, all more consistently than other QB's. Kaep has passing intangibles, just not enough to reach the next level.

Kaep WAS a project when he first took over, but shouldn't be one now. Not only has he gotten more than enough game experience, he is playing for a GOOD team. but again, NOT calling for his replacement (especially in season) and NOT saying Kaep is totally useless. He has played better than most QB's we'd have gotten. However, our expectations are sky high for the team, and we place much more pressure on him.

Those guys are all already at the elite level that Steve Young is talking about. Kaep took over on Monday Night Football against Chicago sometime in November 2012. Steve Young said 3 to 4 years. I'm willing to wait it out. I do realize that I'm more patient than most. : )