• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The draft is over. The tank commences. Mariners in to take 3 from your new Texas Rangers 7/30-8/1

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rather use the rest of this season and next season to evaluate our young kids and then determine what holes we have and fill those with FA’s in 2023
I get that. But the team needs a few decent additions to help these young guys come up comfortably. The team has the money to sign a few free agents.
I would rather pay one great starter well, than pay 3 reclamation projects/ hope for the best decent money. I agree we have the SP depth at AA and even the MLB to only have to add one “ACE”
Also I feel we have ok depth on the position player side to only need 3 players. COFs & SS
I just hate seeing them sign Jordan Lyles, Drew Smyly, Asdrubal Cabrera, Doug Fister, Bartolo Colon, Lance Berkman, Jeff Mathis, Matt Moore, (trade but paid) Corey Kluber and pay them $2-$10-$15 million each.. they add up to an absurd amount..

I would much rather the team stop paying a premium for multiple depth pieces and instead allocate that to a few studs and use our farm system as the depth pieces.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that. But the team needs a few decent additions to help these young guys come up comfortably. The team has the money to sign a few free agents.
I would rather pay one great starter well, than pay 3 reclamation projects/ hope for the best decent money. I agree we have the SP depth at AA and even the MLB to only have to add one “ACE”
Also I feel we have ok depth on the position player side to only need 3 players. COFs & SS
I just hate seeing them sign Jordan Lyles, Drew Smyly, Asdrubal Cabrera, Doug Fister, Bartolo Colon, Lance Berkman, Jeff Mathis, Matt Moore, (trade but paid) Corey Kluber and pay them $2-$10-$15 million each.. they add up to an absurd amount..

I would much rather the team stop paying a premium for multiple depth pieces and instead allocate that to a few studs and use our farm system as the depth pieces.
so basically you want someone like Trevor Story SS (projected contract 8 years, $45M), Noah Syndergaard RHP (projected contract: 7 years, @205M) and a COF like Mark Canha (probably a contract of 3 years, $27,5M)

BULLPEN FAILURE

Headed to a more competent location
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what's more important: being an inning eater or being worth a damn?

next year? innings eater. not every rotation slot, just one. basically just a dude with a pulse who can go out there every fifth day for one season.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
next year? innings eater. not every rotation slot, just one. basically just a dude with a pulse who can go out there every fifth day for one season.
i'm tired of us wasting money on pitchers like Folty, Lyles etc

how about, if we're going to spend money, we spend it on like DTC said a quality pitcher to serve as the "Ace" and leader/example for the young starters

Reactions: DTC

BULLPEN FAILURE

Headed to a more competent location
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm tired of us wasting money on pitchers like Folty, Lyles etc

how about, if we're going to spend money, we spend it on like DTC said a quality pitcher to serve as the "Ace" and leader/example for the young starters

Wouldn't consider Lyles a waste of money. He had a rough start but he's been decent for the past couple of months.

I'm all for spending money on a quality starter to serve as an ace/leader for the young guys. In 2023, when the young guys are here and would benefit from him. Having that guy here next year would be the waste of money, because we'll still be sorting out who the young guys are.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't consider Lyles a waste of money. He had a rough start but he's been decent for the past couple of months.

I'm all for spending money on a quality starter to serve as an ace/leader for the young guys. In 2023, when the young guys are here and would benefit from him. Having that guy here next year would be the waste of money, because we'll still be sorting out who the young guys are.
I agree that next year is too early. Get most position player in position in 2022 and an ace in 2023.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One innings eater that we could flip is not a bad thing

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One innings eater that we could flip is not a bad thing
i'm sorry but do playoff teams look for inning eaters at or prior to the trade deadline? Folty may be, as y'all have put it, an inning eater but wasn't he like 2-10? i didn't see any teams looking at him or even Lyles at the deadline.

the only teams that look at Folty's are teams like the Rangers who don't look for quality but for "inning eaters"

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

so stick with the "inning eaters" like Folty. i understand the wait a year or two idea but i would rather have the LEADER than the inning eater to set an example for the young guys. we are going to have Arihara next season so with the inning eater that's 2 spots filled and with Allard, Dunning, Howard and Hearn we have no room to see what the Alexy, Winn etc can do

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm sorry but do playoff teams look for inning eaters at or prior to the trade deadline? Folty may be, as y'all have put it, an inning eater but wasn't he like 2-10? i didn't see any teams looking at him or even Lyles at the deadline.

the only teams that look at Folty's are teams like the Rangers who don't look for quality but for "inning eaters"
If we think we have enough staff ready to take on a full seasons load and are fully developed then by all means don’t get a FA. But I think we might be in the trade market for young controllable pitching. Still I have no desire to resign Folty. His days are limited

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The issue with Folty is we know what he is now. when we signed him, there was still the chance of the hope that he would return to his all star form. Now that we know he won’t, he needs to go. We need to either have young starters who are developing or older starters who we can flip for prospects at the deadline if need be. Nobody wanted Folty this trade deadline. Nobody……

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The issue with Folty is we know what he is now. when we signed him, there was still the chance of the hope that he would return to his all star form. Now that we know he won’t, he needs to go. We need to either have young starters who are developing or older starters who we can flip for prospects at the deadline if need be. Nobody wanted Folty this trade deadline. Nobody……
Not necessarily older starter to flip, but better ones.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we think we have enough staff ready to take on a full seasons load and are fully developed then by all means don’t get a FA. But I think we might be in the trade market for young controllable pitching. Still I have no desire to resign Folty. His days are limited
and i'm ready to say the same about Lyles. maybe we can unload Arihara at the trade deadline next season

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not necessarily older starter to flip, but better ones.
when will we stop wasting time and cash on starters that we think we can flip and start thinking about the occasional free agent that will bring more to the team

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
David Dahl DFA'ed, Demarcus Evans send down and John Axford called up