• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Diehard Breakdown: Texas 77 WVU 50

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Texas Longhorns humbled the Mountaineers on this evening as anything that could go wrong, did go wrong for WVU. WV's shooting was absolutely atrocious at best as many easy shots around the rim would not fall. After getting 55 points off the bench last week, WV gets only 19 tonight. 6 WV players combine to shoot 0-13 from the field while Jawan Staten, (Wannie) the teams leading scorer, gets his 1st bucket of the game with 1:08 remaining in the 2nd half for 2 of the 3 points he would score on the night.

Texas was too strong on the glass as they out rebound the Mountaineers 44-32. WV forced 19 Texas turnovers but committed 17 of their own to only get 5 more shots in the game than the Longhorns. That was not enough as WV shoots 13-54 from the field for 24%. So in reality, WV loses by turning the ball over and very poor shooting.

Devon Williams let the officiating get to him and imploded with 5 TO's, 1 Tech, and a lazy defensive effort. Wannie got frustrated and didn't give the kind of effort I would expect from a team leader. Yet in his defense, it is hard to get your points from the top of the key when a team is laying back in a zone defense. Gary Browne led the Mountaineers in scoring tonight with 14 points and Carter makes 3 3ptrs. for 9 points.

So what went wrong here? Several things actually. 1) WV was not prepared for the zone defense. We did not attack the Zone intelligently 2) Why are we playing into the Texas game plan? We let them turn this into a half court game when we should have been pushing every possession early and attacking the rim before Texas could set up the zone 3) Officiating--we let a few bad calls get between our ears---- especially Holton and Williams. You can't let the bad calls dictate your emotions because when you do---you attempt to do things you are not good at.

I think, going forward over the next 8 regular season games, teams are going to do 3 things to WV. They are gonna slow WV down and Zone them, they are going to break the press by flashing a man in the middle, and they are going to pound it inside. We need to be ready for that and learn how to adapt to it. I was very disappointed in our Basketball IQ tonight as that makes me question whether we are capable of improving? As Confucius once say, "Learning without thought is labor lost; thought without learning is perilous". The WV backwoods definition of that is "If you don't learn from the ass whooping you just took, there will be many more to come". Have a better day Mountaineer fans wherever your Country Road has taken you!

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was worried about the team's execution against Texas' 2-3 zone. They are really long, and it negates what Williams can do from the high post. WVU passed the ball a little better in the 2nd half, but the overall performance was disappointing.

Wanny was having a poor shooting night, but why was he on the bench as long as he was tonight?

WVU needs to put more work into their half court defense and half court offense if they're going to take the step up to the next level. Sad to see the on ball defense could not stop dribble penetration any better than the last two years tonight.

Oh well...

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What happened tonight was exactly what I thought was going to happen....Texas was breaking the press easily and forcing us into half court offense which right now we really are not that good at running.

While as a fan I was glad to see JS come back right now he is costing himself a lot of money.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amazing what a difference a big man, or 2, who can run the floor makes in a game.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indeed, their zone killed us, their big guys ate up our usual second chance shots. Shot selection sucked, very poor shooting, air ball on a free throw?????? Pressure was completely in effective. Poor effort all the way around, Texas plays great against Huggins ball. Work hard and let this game go, guys.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indeed, their zone killed us, their big guys ate up our usual second chance shots. Shot selection sucked, very poor shooting, air ball on a free throw?????? Pressure was completely in effective. Poor effort all the way around, Texas plays great against Huggins ball. Work hard and let this game go, guys.

Texas is just a bad matchup for WVU the past couple of years. I think that was our 4th win in a row over you guys. I was surprised at our shooting b/c it has sucked so bad the last few games. Surprised to see Ridley finally play like a big man;dude is usually soft. WVU will be fine.....

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking this full court press thing is not the best way to play as the season goes on ....based on the shooting percentage for the team though the press may be taking the legs out of the other team...its not doing itself any favors either..

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking this full court press thing is not the best way to play as the season goes on ....based on the shooting percentage for the team though the press may be taking the legs out of the other team...its not doing itself any favors either..

Don't let the fact WVU leads the country in average for TO's, TO margin, and steals sway your opinion.

Until the Texas game, WVU had lost two games by a combined 3 points.

WVU had too many TO's, dismal shooting, and poor ball movement against Texas. And, until their 2nd long scoring drought, was not out of last Saturday's game... because of the press...

DBAR4WVU

Blue & Gold until I die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is nothing positive to say about what transpired on Saturday against the Longhorns.
WV sucked in every aspect of the game. Their pressure was ineffective, their 1/2 court D
was not much of a factor as Texas pretty much did what they wanted.
Their rebounding was mediocre - at both ends of the court.
Assists, Fouls, Rebounds - all horrible compared to Texas.

And then there is the shooting. Up to the last few weeks, the bad shooting games
were few and far between. When they did happen, WV was able to overcome it with
getting more shots, making free throws, rebounding - bench support.

Now when it really counts - against 3 ranked B12 teams, there is nothing to save them.
They are horrible all the way around and it is sinking them. I am concerned the mindset.
Is it pressure of expectations????

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't let the fact WVU leads the country in average for TO's, TO margin, and steals sway your opinion.

Until the Texas game, WVU had lost two games by a combined 3 points.

WVU had too many TO's, dismal shooting, and poor ball movement against Texas. And, until their 2nd long scoring drought, was not out of last Saturday's game... because of the press...

I get the turnover stats....but man these kids have no legs to shoot a jump shot on some nights...just makes me wonder..

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear all of your opinions but it really comes down to what is between the ears. I did not see very smart basketball against Texas. Holton and Williams are dumb as a box of rocks. Watch an interview and that will tell all you need to know. As disparaging of a remark as that was on this two kids, they still can learn. I put that onus on the Coach's. They have to find a way to make these 2 click. It is the key to a OK season or a great season.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sadly... I have to agree with you about both Williams and Holton.