• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The defense is worse than in 2012

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Irvin that is right. I'm feeling better now.

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niners have roughly 7 million in cap space. Given that who do you expect to bring in? Given that the secondary only looked bad after Justin played with one arm and our pass rush was weak at best is our secondary that horrible? Should Ballke get Free Agent Fever and sign someone because OMG OMG X team signed x player lets go LEEEEERRRROOOOOOOOYYYY JENKINS and sign player Y.? Or maybe just maybe like in 2011 and 2012 Baalke and the people have a plan ... Like the plan in 11 that got the Niners to the NFC championship game, or the plan in 2012 that got the Niners to the super bowl. Enhance your calm, take deep breaths and at least wait until after the draft to hyperventilate.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm fine with them looking at some guys who were cut in the defensive backfield, but I don't want any more FAs. We could be looking at something like a third and two fourths in terms of comp picks as it stands right now. It's not worth it to me to risk those for guys who aren't clear upgrades.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think we have to get a dlineman and someone in the secondary in the first two rounds. Also there has been a lot written about Vic Fangio's penchant for a very limited rotation and how that probably played a part in the breakdowns at the end of the season. I wonder if that defensive philosophy will change?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
IMO, I think Dorsey is going to be a lot bigger addition then given credit for.

One of bigger concerns with our defense last year, was that our run defense wasn't as near as dominant as it the year prior. This kind of has a ripple effect on the defense.

Jeff Deeney ‏@PFF_Jeff Glenn Dorsey (good): Only played 4 games in 2012, but was 2nd among 3-4 DE in Run Stop % in 2010 (behind J. Smith) and 6th in 2011. #49ers

I do too. That's why I wish he signed for 3-5 years. :(

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Parys paycut keeps him on board. Interesting.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the offense continues to progress and gets more and more potent, a slip in the D might not be a huge concern. We've relied on our D so long to keep us in games, I think we've forgotten how many sins a very good O can hide. Just my two cents.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
If the improvement comes on offense (on a personnel level), I hope it's at C and the #2 TE (I'm hoping to find a monster blocker). The Niners need to keep the running game strong IMO. That's their bread & butter. Even if Kaep starts to really develop into a dangerous passer, I want the passing game to be a surprise and the running game to be an annoying pain in the ass.

The WR corps is already better at blocking now that Boldin's on board.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see end but I don't see NT being a priority as we just signed Dorsey to play that it and we extended Ian Williams which means the team considers him to have enough potential to continue to develop.

NT isn't as big of a position on this defense so we don't really need a Vince Wilfork type of NT and just a guy that's good enough to eat space and plug holes to allow Willis and Bowman to make plays.

dorsey isn't a long term answer. i could see us going jenkins.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
dorsey isn't a long term answer. i could see us going jenkins.

Jonathan Jenkins?

Don't you think he's more of a 2-gap kind of NT?

I don't see Dorsey as the "answer" at NT, but I also don't see the Niners using a 3-down NT. I see 'em using Dorsey as a 2-down NT and letting Ray Mac or even Aldon play NT on passing downs. Eventually, I'm hoping Hankins is the starter at NT.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. And his stock has cooled off lately, so he might be good value. I still want Hankins though.

i think jenkins alongside justin could open things up for aldon. sylvester williams is another guy who i think could come in on passing downs and play NT.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I like Sylvester Williams as a NT too. He has the athleticsim for it. But I wouldn't use a top 25 pick on him like people are projecting. His stock is too high IMO. At 34? I wouldn't be upset. But I'd rather have Hankins or Carradine (Carradine could be the heir apparent to Justin Smith IMO).

Brandon Short could possibly play NT too, but I think he's better suited for a 4-3.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I see something in Culliver. I think he's gonna be a good player. Remember what we used to say about Eric Davis? Look how well he turned out.

Eric Davis never cost us a super bowl. He even held his own during the big games against the Cowboys.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
me too, in fact i already think he's a good player.

granted he had a bad game in the largest of stages, but he played 2012 well.

Even before the game, analysts had pointed out how vulnerable he was. Teams gameplan around him. To beat us deep consistently all you had to do is try to locate #29 in the red/gold squad.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Even before the game, analysts had pointed out how vulnerable he was. Teams gameplan around him. To beat us deep consistently all you had to do is try to locate #29 in the red/gold squad.

but again, do you judge him totally by this one game?

also, depends on your expectations too? as a 3rd rounder he has done well and it didn't take long.

our opinions can differ, not a problem. we'll just see how he goes from here?

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eric Davis never cost us a super bowl. He even held his own during the big games against the Cowboys.

To be fair, Eric Davis spent the first couple of years of his career feeling the position out. It wasn't until like 93 that he started to become a better cover corner.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
don't think we're going to take an NT early, not till end of 3rd or 4th round? while i DO wish we had a solid NT, they just don't stay on the field enough?

so being we'll take one later, it'll be more a space eating, 'run stopping' NT. as opposed to run stopping AND push the pocket type which require a higher pick. but good to see more than few prospects at NT, maybe we trade up to the early 3rd if one drops?

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
but again, do you judge him totally by this one game?

also, depends on your expectations too? as a 3rd rounder he has done well and it didn't take long.

our opinions can differ, not a problem. we'll just see how he goes from here?

What one game. People here could tell you that I've been judging him since our first Packer's game - away game at Green Bay. What week was that again?