• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The defense is worse than in 2012

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Goldson' absence is really going to glow and be a headache for us fans during the GDTs....

unless we find a gem in the draft

THe defense is oddly worse since the NFC title gm vs the giants IMHO, its been declining...

:agree:

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Re: safety, Brock played FS in college, I think. I wonder if he could get a look there. Probably not, but it might bear considering if we pick up another CB. Also interested in what Robinson might have to offer. I'd like to add two safeties in the draft. Whitner was a disaster in coverage last year.

Culliver was just as bad in limited play. I would love to move him to FS, a position he was accustomed to in his collegiate days at South Carolina. If Dashon can make the transition from corner to safety, then Culliver should be able to do it as well and excel in that role. Culliver is more athletic than Dashon, but Dashon had better tackling/hitting ability.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Culliver was just as bad in limited play. I would love to move him to FS, a position he was accustomed to in his collegiate days at South Carolina. If Dashon can make the transition from corner to safety, then Culliver should be able to do it as well and excel in that role. Culliver is more athletic than Dashon, but Dashon had better tackling/hitting ability.

I wouldn't say Culliver was as bad in coverage. The big problem with him, IMO, the super bowl aside, is that he doesn't play the ball well in the air. He frequently has good coverage, but allows completions anyway. Sometimes those are good plays by the receiver, but all too often Culliver just doesn't make a play on the ball. It remains to be seen if he can work that out.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
first 2 picks could end up being an end and nt

I wouldn't mind that despite having Dorsey on the squad. However, it all depends to who they are in particular we are drafting with our first two picks.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FS has been downgraded. Justin Smith is a year older. Rogers is a year older. Whitner started to lose a step last year, and now he's just a liability IMO.

Something needs to be done about this. There are a couple of guys out there who could reverse this trend.

So far, the only position that improved from last year (personnel wise) is WR.

They played OK until Smith got hurt. Losing Goldson will hurt but not much else.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I see something in Culliver. I think he's gonna be a good player. Remember what we used to say about Eric Davis? Look how well he turned out.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Isn't one of the great things about being a Niner fans these days that you don't have to worry about the planning, or the personnel guys doing the right thing? I think they've easily earned our patience to see where they go with this. They might have their eyes on some guys in the draft, or might think they have some answers on the roster already. I can't imagine getting worried about Baalke & Harbaugh putting the best possible team out there.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Isn't one of the great things about being a Niner fans these days that you don't have to worry about the planning, or the personnel guys doing the right thing? I think they've easily earned our patience to see where they go with this. They might have their eyes on some guys in the draft, or might think they have some answers on the roster already. I can't imagine getting worried about Baalke & Harbaugh putting the best possible team out there.

agree!

like the fact Baalke doesn't get anxious with FA's, but comes up with a value and sticks with it.

now there should be a LITTLE concern with trading draft picks? its nice to think we can simply trade draft picks as we choose, but no guarantee we find the right partners? timing of trades is also a factor?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I see something in Culliver. I think he's gonna be a good player. Remember what we used to say about Eric Davis? Look how well he turned out.

me too, in fact i already think he's a good player.

granted he had a bad game in the largest of stages, but he played 2012 well.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agree!

like the fact Baalke doesn't get anxious with FA's, but comes up with a value and sticks with it.

now there should be a LITTLE concern with trading draft picks? its nice to think we can simply trade draft picks as we choose, but no guarantee we find the right partners? timing of trades is also a factor?

It's nice to have confidence that the guys running the team aren't going to shackle us to bad deals.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
We gotta exit the draft with a passrusher at 34 end and 34 OLB.

Re: OLB, I wouldn't be shocked if we don't. Remember, we added two OLBs in last year's draft, we get Haralson back, and we've already got two good starters. Bringing Parys back to rotate with our starters has the effect of improving the pass rush by keeping Aldon and Ahmad fresh. I'm certainly not saying we should avoid OLB, just that people shouldn't necessarily freak out if we don't address the position.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
first 2 picks could end up being an end and nt

I can see end but I don't see NT being a priority as we just signed Dorsey to play that it and we extended Ian Williams which means the team considers him to have enough potential to continue to develop.

NT isn't as big of a position on this defense so we don't really need a Vince Wilfork type of NT and just a guy that's good enough to eat space and plug holes to allow Willis and Bowman to make plays.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Re: OLB, I wouldn't be shocked if we don't. Remember, we added two OLBs in last year's draft, we get Haralson back, and we've already got two good starters. Bringing Parys back to rotate with our starters has the effect of improving the pass rush by keeping Aldon and Ahmad fresh. I'm certainly not saying we should avoid OLB, just that people shouldn't necessarily freak out if we don't address the position.

Cam was a late round pick. Fleming is coming off an injury. Parys has 2 sacks in 2 seasons because he sucks and was injured plus he is making too much money. These guys need to be pushed off the roster.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Cam was a late round pick. Fleming is coming off an injury. Parys has 2 sacks in 2 seasons because he sucks and was injured plus he is making too much money. These guys need to be pushed off the roster.

Cam might have been a late round pick but many considered him a 3rd-4th round talent guy so I do think there is some upside and potential there.

But I agree with Parys and Fleming though but I can buy a case for Parys to be able to rotate in early downs and keep Brooks and Aldon fresher for passing downs sorta like we did in 2011.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
IMO, I think Dorsey is going to be a lot bigger addition then given credit for.

One of bigger concerns with our defense last year, was that our run defense wasn't as near as dominant as it the year prior. This kind of has a ripple effect on the defense.

Jeff Deeney ‏@PFF_Jeff Glenn Dorsey (good): Only played 4 games in 2012, but was 2nd among 3-4 DE in Run Stop % in 2010 (behind J. Smith) and 6th in 2011. #49ers

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Haha. No major argument here, and I don't mind trying to upgrade over those guys. I'm just saying that the FO may like these guys more than fans. As Jikkle mentioned, Cam was widely considered a pretty big steal where we got him. Obviously there were concerns that pushed him that low, but he has some potential as a situational pass rusher. And Haralson plays the run very well. He can take some pressure off our front-line guys if he's healthy.

I don't view any of these guys as more than situational players and depth - at least not at this time. But under ideal circumstances, you anticipate the weaknesses in your roster and address them the year before they become glaring. It's possible the FO believes they've done that at OLB. Of course, if the Bruce Irvin rumors were true last year, I'd imagine they still consider the position an area where we can improve.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
IMO, I think Dorsey is going to be a lot bigger addition then given credit for.

One of bigger concerns with our defense last year, was that our run defense wasn't as near as dominant as it the year prior. This kind of has a ripple effect on the defense.

Jeff Deeney ‏@PFF_Jeff Glenn Dorsey (good): Only played 4 games in 2012, but was 2nd among 3-4 DE in Run Stop % in 2010 (behind J. Smith) and 6th in 2011. #49ers

I'm cautiously optimistic about Dorsey. He has some real upside if he can blossom in our system. He'll have great teammates and coaching along our DL. You can't do better than J. Smith and Ray Mac in terms of work ethic.