• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Case for Keeping Jay Cutler

C

cubzzzfanincali

Aren't you the guy who just argued there was a trade market for him? If so you don't even agree with yourself.

My point isn't that he'd be the qb the next coach would covet though. It is that there is no reasonable alternative right now and the opportunity cost of cutting or trading him would be not getting building blocks on the defense.

How am I arguing with myself? Of course there's a trade market for him. The question is what he will draw, not that the market doesn't exist.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've hated Cutler and I hope he is gone. I honestly haven't watched much at all because I can't stand just to watch him play. Such horrible body language and it all just points out to the fact that he is not a leader. I said he wasn't a leader before the season started, thought the new contract was stupid and all he did this year was go out and prove me right.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A defensive minded hc would want to keep him too. A coach wanting to put a defensive brand on the team would not want to burn two of the next three first round picks on a qb... he'd want to start acquiring defenders to execute the new defense.

a defensive minded coach would want a quarterback that did not take chances that eventually lead to turning the ball over. Defensive minded coaches want their defense rested on the sidelines.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lotsa reports implying he will stay, due to the contract and his overall, shit-demeanor.

I just can't see how that is possible? After the way this season transpired...how does he play another down for the Bears?

Dude can't step foot outside in Chicago ever again. It's so bad, he will have to move, even if nobody picks him up. Let alone, actually leading the team.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think I'm going to wear my Cutler jersey around to a couple of bars this weekend just to troll.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the pic circulating of the fan that changed the "C" to a "B" on his Cutler jersey.

Who you take in a fistfight? Jay or Kevin Butler?

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one thing cutler has that McCown and Claussen dont have is the threat to beat you down field. This is where a devin hester type speedster that just goes long every time he is on the field takes one defender, if not two with him. Dont know if Wilson was expected to fill this role, but you cant scare teams unless you have a deep threat and use him a few times.

I would take Butthead in a fight, he would have mongo and thayer in his corner.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This will probably be poo-pooed by many... I'm expecting it as just another "Cutler Apologist" but interesting none-the-less:
Jay Cutler has thrown 332 passes when his team has been behind, a clear indicator that he's usually in scramble mode, which can make it tough to play quarterback in the NFL.

213 of those passes have come when the Bears have been behind by 9 or more points.
Compared to some of the better TEAMS.

Jay Cutler- 213 passes when down by 9 or more
Peyton Manning- 117
Russell Wilson- 39
Tom Brady- 67
Aaron Rodgers- 69

The disparity is crazy.

Only 3 of Jay's INT's have come in the 1st quarter.
7 of them have come after 30 or more passes. (balance?)

We can call it Garbage Time, we can lament that the reason the Bears were losing by 9 or more is in part because of Jay's issues. But playing QB in the NFL when your TEAM is losing by so much week after week can't be easy. Knowing that the majority of the time this year- if you don't score- the defense is going to give up another touchdown.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, when it takes till the second half EVERY week before you can get a fucking first down, you will probably be behind. Jay has as much to do with that as anyone.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Defense played well enough to win most games, if the O coulda done their part. The GB, NE and Miami games excluded. Last year's O with this year's D and this year's D woulda looked a lot better IMO. The D struggled to do it for 60 minutes in a lot of games and struggled to make splash plays. But the O did nothing to help out. The vast majority of points and stats this year came in garbage time, and that is just a fact.

This year's D improved, if only a little. This year's O regressed in epic fashion. First to worst type stuff. The QB is going to take most of that heat/blame....that is just the way it is.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The decision to keep, cut or trade shouldn't be made to punish or reward a player, it should be made because it is in the best long term interests of the team.

If cutting Cutler means we lose out on a top defensive prospect, commit to an even worse qb (not to shatter your illusions, but Jay Cutler is not the worst starting qb in the nfl) or causes a top coach to opt for Atlanta because they don't want to have to rebuild a defense AND try to find a qb... Then it isn't in our best interests.

As for defending the defense... I don't know how anyone can do that with a straight face. We again give up more than 6 yards per play and even though we gave up more than 50 points twice in a row, there was a third game that I would argue was one of the worst defensive performances in nfl history. The qb had a bad season where he had the most picks (13th most yards and 10th most tds), but this defense has no future right now. Who would be the captain?

I think Jim Miller, a Cutler critic, said it best. Jay should probably go from franchise qb to bridge qb. That's where I'm at because I don't see a franchise qb we could acquire or another bridge type qb who gives us anything better.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too- I'm at that point too... Don't like "bridge QB"- bridge to what? But I wouldn't call him a "franchise QB" anymore- he's not. He's an above average QB who has a high cap number- In a year or two- Hopefully with a better GM/Coaching staff they can decide to keep/trade/cut him... *but in that fourth year of this deal he becomes pretty reasonable. (6th and 7th seasons he's back to 22M or something like that)

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
move cutler, keep clausen, bring another qb in to compete for the job.

put a decent qb in a good system and you can win, ala russell wilson in seattle.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The decision to keep, cut or trade shouldn't be made to punish or reward a player, it should be made because it is in the best long term interests of the team.

If cutting Cutler means we lose out on a top defensive prospect, commit to an even worse qb (not to shatter your illusions, but Jay Cutler is not the worst starting qb in the nfl) or causes a top coach to opt for Atlanta because they don't want to have to rebuild a defense AND try to find a qb... Then it isn't in our best interests.

As for defending the defense... I don't know how anyone can do that with a straight face. We again give up more than 6 yards per play and even though we gave up more than 50 points twice in a row, there was a third game that I would argue was one of the worst defensive performances in nfl history. The qb had a bad season where he had the most picks (13th most yards and 10th most tds), but this defense has no future right now. Who would be the captain?

I think Jim Miller, a Cutler critic, said it best. Jay should probably go from franchise qb to bridge qb. That's where I'm at because I don't see a franchise qb we could acquire or another bridge type qb who gives us anything better.

I'm drunk. Are you talking to me?

Jay has elite talent, but something has fucked him. Maybe it's his diabeetus and he just needs some fucking skittles on-hand, but he has zero trust in anyone right now. Maybe it's the ghosts of the Lovie years with no line or WR's finally catching up to him, but the dude just seems to have a rain cloud following him and this year it actually equated to poor Quarterbacking. He still has loads of talent, but seems un-coachable.

He had a "mic'd up" a few years ago, where he was telling Hanie about an interview with Marino, where a journalist was asking Marino some intricate question regarding the x's and o's, to which Marino replied, "I just threw it to the guy that was open."

It struck me as something a Jock would say. A jock with a ton of raw talent, but no work ethic to polish it. Just raw talent to squander.

I've been an avid supporter of Jay, but with the new contract and two consecutive years, where journeymen back-ups have got the team to rally and play at a higher level than Jay has...I dunno man. As a lifelong Bears fan having witnessed every putrid attempt by every jackoff QB, in a list overflowing with jackoff QBs...when Cutler arrived, he was instantly heaven sent. Was, by far the best QB I had ever seen in a Bears Jersey, and it was not even close. He was a breath of fresh air. But Chicago is where QB's and WR's go to die, and that shit rings truer than ever, right now.

Merry Christmas Bear bruthas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cutler is not worth the money, never has been worth that kind of money. What in hell made us pay him like that? I'm done supporting him. It's time to move on. I don't care if we win a single game next year. Get the rebuild going now.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Merry Christmas to all of you. Even to - maybe especially to - those I have argued with. Well, wait a minute that basically includes everyone. You get the point. Even Merry Christmas to Jay Cutler, the overpaid, underachieving, inconsistent kid from Santa Claus, Indiana.

bgduece

Kiss my Ass
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everybody who wants to replace Jay Cutler at QB...who is going to be the QB.

Jay Cutler is far from being the worst QB is the league...if released he would be the number one free agent in the NFL...All these people who want Cutler gone, who the fuck is going to be the QB.

This team has the talent to win, and with know QB...who would want to coach this team...

We need a new offensive scheme on offense based on power running...and a new scheme away from the Cover Two...

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm drunk. Are you talking to me?

Jay has elite talent, but something has fucked him. Maybe it's his diabeetus and he just needs some fucking skittles on-hand, but he has zero trust in anyone right now. Maybe it's the ghosts of the Lovie years with no line or WR's finally catching up to him, but the dude just seems to have a rain cloud following him and this year it actually equated to poor Quarterbacking. He still has loads of talent, but seems un-coachable.

He had a "mic'd up" a few years ago, where he was telling Hanie about an interview with Marino, where a journalist was asking Marino some intricate question regarding the x's and o's, to which Marino replied, "I just threw it to the guy that was open."

It struck me as something a Jock would say. A jock with a ton of raw talent, but no work ethic to polish it. Just raw talent I've been an avid supporter of Jay, but with the new contract and two consecutive years, where journeymen back-ups have got the team to rally and play at a higher level than Jay has...I dunno man. As a lifelong Bears fan having witnessed every putrid attempt by every jackoff QB, in a list overflowing with jackoff QBs...when Cutler arrived, he was instantly heaven sent. Was, by far the best QB I had ever seen in a Bears Jersey, and it was not even close. He was a breath of fresh air. But Chicago is where QB's and WR's go to die, and that shit rings truer than ever, right now.

There's nothing wrong with our wrs........Cutler is just an above qb that throws them interceptions at critical moments.And he never learns from it.
There is no leadership from him what so ever"Have not seen it.
And I also was an avid fan of his until the Championship game vs GB.......Since then I always knew he was nothing special.
The only thing he did this year that actually surprised me,he made it thru the season without getting hurt and sitting out a few games.I thought for sure that was a given.

And as far as being the qb ever? Why does anyone ever say this? Omg get a clue. He would have to make the HOF for that.....Sid Luckman,ever hear of him?
And I will always say that Jim McMahon is still better and will always be better than JC....
With the wrs and rb we have,we just need a mistake free qb.......Take whatever we can get for him.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everybody who wants to replace Jay Cutler at QB...who is going to be the QB.

Jay Cutler is far from being the worst QB is the league...if released he would be the number one free agent in the NFL...All these people who want Cutler gone, who the fuck is going to be the QB.

This team has the talent to win, and with know QB...who would want to coach this team...

We need a new offensive scheme on offense based on power running...and a new scheme away from the Cover Two...

Let's see what's out there..........But he has to go.