• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Case for Keeping Jay Cutler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LAstly, here is really the bigger question. What is your real goal? Being semi competitive every year, or winning a Super Bowl? If it is to win a Super Bowl (which is my preference) what happens next year is more or less irrelevant. The bears will not win a Super Bowl with cutler. They simply won't. He is too mistake probe to win multiple successive games against strong teams in the playoffs. The other problem with the bears, that they have too many holes all over the roster, also has to be fixed before the contend for the big prize.

I'm sure we could field a team that could get into the playoffs next year, and have a small but unrealistic chance of winning it all. If that's what you want, you keep cutler. If you want to build a better team over the long haul, you pull out the tooth and begin the healing process now. The sooner we start, the sooner we get through this.

I sure as hell hope the new coach and/or GM agrees with me. Otherwise I am going to be fucking pissed.

If there isn't an opportunity to get a top qb prospect, dumping Cutler means you're asking the next coach to take on a team that will likely be worse... Especially if we're trying to draft that second tier qb with one of our top picks. A coach who is worth his salt (a requirement to win) would want a realistic chance at improving the team's output in 2015. I think that would be constructing a defense, not chasing ghosts at qb. Hopefully there will be that draft which has that rich crop of qbs in the next year or two when we can make that move. This year is not that year.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I don't think anyone really knows the cutler trade market, there's no way we would have to trade a pick along with him. I don't know what the article you were citing was thinking, but that's simply absurd. Most of the speculation I am hearing is that we might...might...get a second rounder for him, but more likely a third or a pair of thirds. I think the bigger wild cArd is how much of his base salary the bears would have to convert to bonus before trading him for other team cap concern reasons.

It's not out of the question he stays on the roster, especially if the whole coaching staff and emery are thrown overboard, but there's no way he would require us to package him with a pick to get rid if him.

Report: Executives suggest Bears could have to attach a draft pick to move Cutler | ProFootballTalk

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The original post is too long. There is no legit case to keep him. He's not a good QB, he's not a good leader, and he's not a good mentor. Ergo, sell him to anyone who will take him without us giving up a 1st rounder.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Again, there is Zero chance we are trading a pick for him. None. I'm not sure what to make of that article since everything I read says nothing of the sort, and it also makes no logical sense.

Here's one someone just sent me this morning, at the end this guy mentions two mid round picks at what her get in return. I agree with some of this article, in any case it's a pretty good summary of the situation that even the misguided keep Cutler people will like: Chicago?s First Scapegoat: Jay Cutler «

AmericanTebowFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other day Mike Shanahan said again that he still believes Cutler can be a franchise QB. You know he'd love the chance to coach the QB that he drafted again. Obviously the Bears have a huge decision here. Bringing in Shanahan would be the best (and last) chance to try to get Cutler to realize his potential. Would they be willing to do that, or do they want to trade him and start over? It'll be interesting to see what they do.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, my point is you cannot simultaneously rebuild the defense and ol while also chasing a franchise qb. The pickings are so slim in the qb market, pursuing one means making little traction in ALL areas including qb. And if the premise we're providing to the next coach is the third best qb in the draft (which is a very weak value tis year) and garbage on defense, we're not exactly going to be anyone's first choice.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tooover, I guess that's the direction Bears' fans are waiting to hear. Will we trash the entire coaching staff & start new? Or will we shop Jay and focus on rebuilding the D?

After seeing Clausen against a very good Lions D, I'm willing to give Trestman another season. Obviously McCown & Clausen are not elite by any stretch, but Trest was able to get more out of these 2 QB castoffs because they were teachable. Jay does not appear to be as teachable.

AmericanTebowFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tooover, I guess that's the direction Bears' fans are waiting to hear. Will we trash the entire coaching staff & start new? Or will we shop Jay and focus on rebuilding the D?

After seeing Clausen against a very good Lions D, I'm willing to give Trestman another season. Obviously McCown & Clausen are not elite by any stretch, but Trest was able to get more out of these 2 QB castoffs because they were teachable. Jay does not appear to be as teachable.

77 passer rating, a measly 234 yards and 14 points. Again, what the heck were people watching today if they think Trestman got more out of Clausen? The offense today was terrible again. WOW at anyone wanting to bring Trestman back based on today's loss. The team is 5-10, Trestman MUST go. Maybe you didn't notice but the Lions shot themselves in the foot with LOTS of mistakes today. The game should not have been close.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would actually be happy if they hired mcdaniels and signed Ryan mallett. To me that's a potentially functional solution to our qb situation without paralyzing the team's salary cap and letting us repair the rest of the roster.

Ryan Mallet ? Hmmmmmm that's interesting.I was kinda thinking Sanchez myself.

Seems to me he has done better as an Eagle compared to being a Jet.

And I really think that he'd progress being a Bear........

But I'm all for Mariota if possible.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
here we go again, game manager is needed for trestmans offense. change the coaches, more excuses for yet another a new system. why does the system work with mccown and claussen?

C

cubzzzfanincali

Again, my point is you cannot simultaneously rebuild the defense and ol while also chasing a franchise qb. The pickings are so slim in the qb market, pursuing one means making little traction in ALL areas including qb. And if the premise we're providing to the next coach is the third best qb in the draft (which is a very weak value tis year) and garbage on defense, we're not exactly going to be anyone's first choice.

True. Why does it have to be simultaneous? Everything had to be rebuilt, and people should expect that to take more than one season. The question is not whether to do everything at once, but whether to get started sooner and with more tools available earlier to start with (is cap space and draft picks).

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. Why does it have to be simultaneous? Everything had to be rebuilt, and people should expect that to take more than one season.

In many respects, the fact that a complete overhaul may have to take a few years, is one reason why I'm willing to see Trestman's offense stay for one more season. On the fence about Jay, but that's another thread.

The defense is more broke IMO and needs immediate attention. Bring in a credible DC and cut the old guys. Someone on here mentioned making Peanut a DB coach (I love that idea).

I think we all want to see improvement across the board - but we all have differing ideas on how to go about making the change.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. Why does it have to be simultaneous? Everything had to be rebuilt, and people should expect that to take more than one season. The question is not whether to do everything at once, but whether to get started sooner and with more tools available earlier to start with (is cap space and draft picks).

Yes... it will take more than one season to rebuild. But if I were to take it in steps this is the list in priority:

1. Find the right coach to lead the team and give it its identity.

2. Put top personnel resources toward it's new defensive identity while fixing holes on the offensive side with leftover resources, or put top personnel resources toward acquiring the qb for the next 5-10 years and putting the leftover resources toward patching holes on defense.

3. The following season, put finishing touches on the side of the ball you concentrated on the year before and start your rehaul of the other side.

Step 1... the right coach. I think keeping Jay makes this a more attractive coaching job unless there was an alternative where we could get our franchise qb of the future. If we're going with retreads from free agency or picking the third qb in the draft with the 7th overall pick... what we're offering that next coach is a losing season. We're using resources to NOT solve the qb problem instead of using resources to actually do something about the defense. And we'd be resolving the qb problem the following year or two putting more resources into it instead of the other areas of concern.

Step 2... the defense has NO IDENTITY at all. Whatever the next DC wants to run... we don't have it. I don't see how this isn't the route we want to go this offseason.

Step 3... see how Jay does next year and how far we've come on defense and let those outcomes guide that offseason.

I'm not saying Jay is the guy to lead us to a Super Bowl... only that he may be necessary to give the next coach the cover to fix the defense and everything else wrong with this team until we get a bumper crop of a qb market.

C

cubzzzfanincali

I think that will depend on the coach. Some coaches might prefer to keep cutler, and some might rather get rid of him and have a clean slate. I think it will depend on the coach. I would bet most would prefer him gone, but not every coach would. Someone mentioned Shanahan. I'd bet Shanahan would prefer to keep cutler.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that will depend on the coach. Some coaches might prefer to keep cutler, and some might rather get rid of him and have a clean slate. I think it will depend on the coach. I would bet most would prefer him gone, but not every coach would. Someone mentioned Shanahan. I'd bet Shanahan would prefer to keep cutler.

A defensive minded hc would want to keep him too. A coach wanting to put a defensive brand on the team would not want to burn two of the next three first round picks on a qb... he'd want to start acquiring defenders to execute the new defense.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Most coaches will want him gone dude. Do you really not get that?

C

cubzzzfanincali

I don't think anyone can say for sure what is going to happen this offseason. No one really has any idea. We are all going to find out.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most coaches will want him gone dude. Do you really not get that?

Aren't you the guy who just argued there was a trade market for him? If so you don't even agree with yourself.

My point isn't that he'd be the qb the next coach would covet though. It is that there is no reasonable alternative right now and the opportunity cost of cutting or trading him would be not getting building blocks on the defense.

AmericanTebowFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We heard about that looooong pause from Trestman when he was asked if Emery was on board with the Cutler benching. I think Emery still believes in Cutler. Does anyone think he wants to be proven wrong about Cutler so soon after giving him the monster contract? The more I think about it, the more I think he's gonna bring in Shanahan for Cutler. Shanahan drafted Cutler and is a big believer in him. Cutler seemed to be on his way under Shanahan, making the pro bowl their last season together. My money is on Shanahan being the next Bears coach.