• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Case for Keeping Jay Cutler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all, I didn't think I'd come around to this because I don't think he's a great qb or a championship caliber one. When I heard there was a market for him, I thought "great, we may be able to get a 4th round pick for him and move on" but now I'm hearing that we'd have to give up a pick or a draft slot to unload him (Profootballtalk.com). Here's why I'm beginning to think that even if we could net a pick, it's a bad idea to get rid of him.

Here are the big variables:
1. We are looking for a new coaching staff that can get us not just to the next level, but get us to the championship level.
2. The qb market is terrible this year. The third qb in the draft is not an upgrade, in fact, it is probably a player we're looking at replacing again with a high pick two years from now.
3. Cutler was not as good as anyone was saying he was last year, but he's not as bad as those carrying the torches and pitchforks are saying this year.
4. The defense is not only terrible talent wise, but it has no identity and will actually lose more talent this year.
5. The offensive line needs two upgrades (center and RT). Kromer turned out to be absolutely toxic to the team and needs to go, but we also have to remember he was a great OL coach with the Saints and a turnaround artist with the line last year. He's going for sure and he should go, but we're probably going to get exposed a bit in the one area where he added value.
6. We could use a WR to complement our big pass catchers to keep defenses from sitting on their routes... a speedster to take some attention upfield.

If I'm a quality HC candidate, I would look at how we could make the biggest difference for the team. Improving the D is probably that area. We are probably installing a new defense and need to find that next generation captain of it. We need talent on all levels. If we take the third qb in the draft with our first round pick and start addressing defense later, we're probably getting worse at qb and only marginally better on defense. Even if we decided to put our resources into the OL and that one speed WR/KR we would probably net more improvement in those areas than we would putting the same resources in finding a new QB.

Cutler probably should be a placeholder for the next qb. In 2015 he'd have an opportunity to prove to an open minded coach that he would be the guy, otherwise he'd be the placeholder until we got to a draft or FA situation that was more opportune for getting the right quarterback.

But if I'm Nick Saban, Jim Harbaugh, Mike Shanahan, or anyone else that is considered "championship caliber" as a coach, and I heard that we are going to have Jimmy Clausen, Matt Shaub, Ryan Fitzpatrick or Matt Cassell as our qb next year and we'd be chasing a qb prospect in the draft with our biggest resources instead of getting me some blue chip talent on defense or the OL, I would assume the team be destined to too low of a ceiling for at least five years. But if the plan is to build everywhere else and ramp up the other areas which in the short term are more improvable and keep feelers out for a qb until the moment is right to get a game changing prospect in... I'd feel that it may be worth a shot. Cutler may be good enough to live with and win some games with until we get to that point. I just don't see Andrew Luck falling into our laps this draft.

Focus on defense. That is the area where our resources can make the biggest difference right now. Chasing the next QB when there is really nothing there will just set us back further. It sucks, but the more I think about it, that is probably the best way forward.

I reserve the right to repeatedly change my mind on this. These are very confusing times.

Dirk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, I could go either way.

Keep him, get rid of him. Changes nothing about the total dysfunction of the organization at a much higher level than the guys wearing jerseys.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all seriousness...

Would you want to trade Cutler and a pick for a lower pick? That 25.5 million contract will not be easy to move and the report is the Bears may have to give more to get out from under that contract.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good Post TooOver! Some logic and thought in there! I've been saying the same thing since Wednesday.

Of course as a fan of Cutlers I don't want to see him go... and still see the 28 TD passes and yards. Say what you will about garbage time... it's still there. The benching has done one major thing: Clouded the view of what's really wrong with this team- Defense. (*hmm I've been screaming that all year)

For those that believe that coaches won't come here because Jay is here- you're kidding yourself. Now if they were told- "YOU HAVE TO KEEP Jay for then next 6 years" - that could be an issue. BUT going to a new team without a QB, a historically bad defense, and lost draft picks, is going to be a much tougher sell. More coaches have been fired for not finding a QB then have based on Jay Cutler. (those were fired because they sucked, and everyone knows it)

At this point I can't see the new GM (hopefully) say to his new HC hire that he has to keep Jay- it make much more sense to keep him at this price for another year or two, build up the D and oline, instill a more disciplined team and IF he feels it's needed, when it's easier on the cap, to cut Jay AND you have a replacement/plan going forward.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good Post TooOver! Some logic and thought in there! I've been saying the same thing since Wednesday.

Of course as a fan of Cutlers I don't want to see him go... and still see the 28 TD passes and yards. Say what you will about garbage time... it's still there. The benching has done one major thing: Clouded the view of what's really wrong with this team- Defense. (*hmm I've been screaming that all year)

For those that believe that coaches won't come here because Jay is here- you're kidding yourself. Now if they were told- "YOU HAVE TO KEEP Jay for then next 6 years" - that could be an issue. BUT going to a new team without a QB, a historically bad defense, and lost draft picks, is going to be a much tougher sell. More coaches have been fired for not finding a QB then have based on Jay Cutler. (those were fired because they sucked, and everyone knows it)

At this point I can't see the new GM (hopefully) say to his new HC hire that he has to keep Jay- it make much more sense to keep him at this price for another year or two, build up the D and oline, instill a more disciplined team and IF he feels it's needed, when it's easier on the cap, to cut Jay AND you have a replacement/plan going forward.

As to the bolded.

Not one facet of the team was worth its weight in shit this year. Offense, Defense and Special teams were all TERRIBLE! Lotsa talent on the Offensive side of the ball, none of which equated to anything on the field. Our problems stem deeper than just a shitty Defense.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are in the exact same spot we were in before re-signing him...wtf is the alternative?

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they will leave the decision up to the new head coach. The Bears have till the first of February, that should give a new coach enough time to evaluate before that next year kicks in.

C

cubzzzfanincali

While I don't think anyone really knows the cutler trade market, there's no way we would have to trade a pick along with him. I don't know what the article you were citing was thinking, but that's simply absurd. Most of the speculation I am hearing is that we might...might...get a second rounder for him, but more likely a third or a pair of thirds. I think the bigger wild cArd is how much of his base salary the bears would have to convert to bonus before trading him for other team cap concern reasons.

It's not out of the question he stays on the roster, especially if the whole coaching staff and emery are thrown overboard, but there's no way he would require us to package him with a pick to get rid if him.

C

cubzzzfanincali

One other thing...there's no "focusing on the defense" aside from the draft because there isn't enough cap space to do anything major...unless you save millions of cap space by dumping cutler. Which they can do if they trade him right away. Then they could conceivably sign a couple of defensive free agents of note. But you don't both keep cutler and sign two big defensive free agents.

C

cubzzzfanincali

I think they will leave the decision up to the new head coach. The Bears have till the first of February, that should give a new coach enough time to evaluate before that next year kicks in.

Probably. Or the new GM.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As to the bolded.

Not one facet of the team was worth its weight in shit this year. Offense, Defense and Special teams were all TERRIBLE! Lotsa talent on the Offensive side of the ball, none of which equated to anything on the field. Our problems stem deeper than just a shitty Defense.

Agreed...but I gotta ask: WHY? Why did our "lots of talent" not do anything on the field?

C

cubzzzfanincali

LAstly, here is really the bigger question. What is your real goal? Being semi competitive every year, or winning a Super Bowl? If it is to win a Super Bowl (which is my preference) what happens next year is more or less irrelevant. The bears will not win a Super Bowl with cutler. They simply won't. He is too mistake probe to win multiple successive games against strong teams in the playoffs. The other problem with the bears, that they have too many holes all over the roster, also has to be fixed before the contend for the big prize.

I'm sure we could field a team that could get into the playoffs next year, and have a small but unrealistic chance of winning it all. If that's what you want, you keep cutler. If you want to build a better team over the long haul, you pull out the tooth and begin the healing process now. The sooner we start, the sooner we get through this.

I sure as hell hope the new coach and/or GM agrees with me. Otherwise I am going to be fucking pissed.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Agreed...but I gotta ask: WHY? Why did our "lots of talent" not do anything on the field?

I think the answer has three parts. One, the talent is at the skill positions, not the line. Aside from Long, the line isn't all that great, especially once slauson went down. The run blocking weaknesses in particular exposed this problem even more than the pass blocking.

Two, the communication was awful. That's on coaches, cutler, and garza. The reason I diagnose that is because of how many unblocked rushers there were. Blocking assignments were the bigger problem than blocking technique on passing plays. Which is saying something, since mills, garza, and bushrod all had bad technique this year. But the unblocked blitzers killed us. As did..similarly...the preventable penalties. That's communication and leadership.

Third, frankly, cutlers decision making sucked. I saw this earlier in the season but didn't realize how paralyzingly it was until the losing got out of control, but his choices sucked. Not just the interceptions. The COMPLETIONS often were on plays with more wide open receivers downfield. This is Cutlers Achilles heel.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you trade Cutler,

wouldn't it make sense to trade Marshall as well to help the rebuilding process? If you go draft you fire you have at least a two year rebuild.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think at this point Cutler wants out. He probably asked for a trade. Otherwise can't understand promoting Clausen.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cutler doesn't have the eye of the tiger.

He's not a winner.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They sat Cutler. For Jimmy lol. He gone.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The possible trade for Jay- I've read stories that possible landing spots for Cutler are: Jets, Tenn, Tampa, St. Louis, Bills, Texans...

The current story line in those cities is oh so familiar: Need a QB, market for QB's lacking...etc.
Some quotes from these articles I'm seeing:
Cutler would be an aggressive move from an aggressive coaching staff and front office, but not an expensive one.
With a weakened free-agent quarterback class and no first-round pick, it's going to be difficult for the Bills to acquire a quarterback they feel can immediately put them over the top. Enter Cutler.
a chance to acquire a "franchise quarterback" in the form of Cutler while also picking up a blue-chip defensive prospect at the top of the draft. If the cost of acquiring Cutler is just salary

What makes me laugh... Majority of these type of articles start out with: THE WORST!! Ha ha he got benched!! He's garbage! But then hypocritically end the article with why it would be good for these teams to sign him! What's being missed in all this- CHICAGO fans would gladly/willingly/gleefully put their name on that list... Getting rid of him would be saying: We want to be just like the current Bucs, Jets, Titans, Rams, Bills, Texans.
Hypothetical: Let's say Jay played for the Jets' or someone else and we say all this going on from afar: (and were playing the likes of Josh McCown/Orton/Cassell...etc. the past few years. with their stats)
What would they say about Chicago being a potential landing spot?

I don't want to be one of them... I want to fix the bigger issues- coaching, drafting, defense, special teams... Then next year..year after... readdress the QB position. Draft prospects could be better, FA prospects may be better- so on. This is more sensible, reasonable.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
toooverbearing, nice post.

But if I'm Nick Saban, Jim Harbaugh, Mike Shanahan, or anyone else that is considered "championship caliber" as a coach, and I heard that we are going to have Jimmy Clausen, Matt Shaub, Ryan Fitzpatrick or Matt Cassell as our qb next year and we'd be chasing a qb prospect in the draft with our biggest resources instead of getting me some blue chip talent on defense or the OL, I would assume the team be destined to too low of a ceiling for at least five years.

Had a scenario pop into my head. Assuming we move on from Jay. Bears hire Josh McDaniels as the HC. He brings in Cassell because he knows Josh's system. Cassell with someone else = mediocre. McDaniels with another QB is < Tebow magic. But together, it might not be a bad marriage.

Don't yell at me - I'm tired. I do my worst thinking late at night.

My fear is that no matter what happens with Jay, Emery and Trestman, the NEXT hiring will be another "potential" hiring. The next GM has the "potential." The next head coach has the "potential." And our next QB will have that "potential."

They all have that already. We've seen flashes. Yet the situation can still get worse.

C

cubzzzfanincali

I would actually be happy if they hired mcdaniels and signed Ryan mallett. To me that's a potentially functional solution to our qb situation without paralyzing the team's salary cap and letting us repair the rest of the roster.