• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Biggest Losers of a (likely) Nixed NBA Season

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are so damn petty.

You are so damn petty.

and the funny thing is that you went on to say there was a chance that every team could be included in the draft lottery. That isn’t going to happen.

You just love bringing up the 1 in a million chance of something remote happening to call somebody who out who offers a firm opinion. And that is ridiculous behavior on your part.

Stop arguing semantics and show up with some actual content.
Idea you are calling me petty here could not be more comical. you want to claim some sort of "win" for yourself. and as usual, playing the "semantic" card when you were wrong in a comment you made. How about just own it and move on?

Fact is if I see something that has a zero chance of happening I will (and did) point it out. The NCAA style playoff? Very remote chance to happen, but certainly a better chance than the Lakers having the same chance as GS of getting the #1 pick in the next draft.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easily LeBron is #1 by a MILE. He was having a great season. When you combine his age, and last years humiliation, its easily LeBron.

bucks as #2 because its just one less chance to prove to Giannis that he should stay.

anyone else is a DISTANT #3

Why do you assume another elongated off season is bad for Lebron's attempt to prolong his career? No reason to expect a big difference between this season and next, and the Lakers won't have much roster turnover going into next season (provided AD re-signs).

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do you assume another elongated off season is bad for Lebron's attempt to prolong his career? No reason to expect a big difference between this season and next, and the Lakers won't have much roster turnover going into next season (provided AD re-signs).
what the hell are you talking about?

LeBron was poised to be on a team (along with 4-5 others) that would compete for a championship and was on the short list for MVP and now the season is blown up. Now the season was wasted.

LeBron will be 36 in December.

This isnt rocket science.

what you got out of my post was that an elongated offseason is bad? lol....just wow

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what the hell are you talking about?

LeBron was poised to be on a team (along with 4-5 others) that would compete for a championship and was on the short list for MVP and now the season is blown up. Now the season was wasted.

LeBron will be 36 in December.

This isnt rocket science.

what you got out of my post was that an elongated offseason is bad? lol....just wow

No, I'm saying the elongated offseason will actually have Lebron playing better at 36 than he might have been due to the time off. Next season would just be a continuation of this truncated season if they don't resume, in terms of performance levels. It's not the number that causes a decline, it's wear and tear.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I'm saying the elongated offseason will actually have Lebron playing better at 36 than he might have been due to the time off. Next season would just be a continuation of this truncated season if they don't resume, in terms of performance levels. It's not the number that causes a decline, it's wear and tear.
List of National Basketball Association career minutes played leaders - Wikipedia

(and that list is ONLY Regular Season minutes- does not even take into account post season minutes or Team USA minutes- both of which would add greatly to LeBron's total- esp. in an era of expanded playoffs)

you better hope its not "wear and tear". lol

while of course, wear and tear is vitally important, age is also hugely important.

i dont care if a 45 year old has zero wear and tear on him- hes not playing in the NBA even if he was the love child of Michael Jordan and Cheryl Miller and grew a third leg out of their ass to assist their jumping ability.

the number of athletes that are still elite at 36 are far and few between. the number of athletes with lebron's number of minutes on them that remained elite are far and few between.

When you are both up there in age, and already have some of the most minutes ever played in the history of the league (and this is not counting extensive TEAM USA minutes), its simply not realistic to expect his level to continue.

Kobe fell off a cliff.

LeBron is a freak, and has been the exception to the rule time and time again in his career- but when you combine having the most minutes in the NBA for an active player, and being closer to 40 than to 30, the inevitable is coming.

as they say:

father time is undefeated.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everybody loses if this season isn’t finished.

Not me. I win. I don't watch the NBA and cannot watch Sportscenter for the 2 months of NBA playoffs.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not me. I win. I don't watch the NBA and cannot watch Sportscenter for the 2 months of NBA playoffs.

If you don't watch the NBA why comment in an NBA thread? Not being a smartass or anything. Just find it odd that anyone that isn't a fan would bother commenting. And why aren't you a fan? Just wondering.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
List of National Basketball Association career minutes played leaders - Wikipedia

(and that list is ONLY Regular Season minutes- does not even take into account post season minutes or Team USA minutes- both of which would add greatly to LeBron's total- esp. in an era of expanded playoffs)

while of course, wear and tear is vitally important, age is also hugely important.

i dont care if a 45 year old has zero wear and tear on him- hes not playing in the NBA even if he was the love child of Michael Jordan and Cheryl Miller and grew a third leg out of their ass to assist their jumping ability.

the number of athletes that are still elite at 36 are far and few between. the number of athletes with lebron's number of minutes on them that remained elite are far and few between.

When you are both up there in age, and already have some of the most minutes ever played in the history of the league (and this is not counting extensive TEAM USA minutes), its simply not realistic to expect his level to continue.

Kobe fell off a cliff.

LeBron is a freak, and has been the exception to the rule time and time again in his career- but when you combine having the most minutes in the NBA for an active player, and being closer to 40 than to 30, the inevitable is coming.

as they say:

Kobe tore his achilles. Big difference.

I'm not comparing next year's Lebron to prime age 30 Lebron or before, I'm comparing it to this season's Lebron. All that historical usage is already applied to the current Lebron.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you don't watch the NBA why comment in an NBA thread? Not being a smartass or anything. Just find it odd that anyone that isn't a fan would bother commenting. And why aren't you a fan? Just wondering.
Just bored and curious I guess.
I stopped being a fan years ago when I thought the game became more of a show. The foul call inconsistency also bugs me. There were announcers who would actually say stuff like "he's earned the right to get that call". Of course the players moaning about every foul call also turned me off. I know the league attempted to fix that a little. It just stopped being my cup of tea. It didn't help that the team I rooted for (the Pacers) were, and still are, in NBA purgatory. They are a well run organization who makes the playoffs almost every season, but with Indianapolis not being a good destination city, they cannot attract enough stars to make runs at the title. They have not had a top 5 pick since 1988.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kobe fell off a cliff.

as they say:

Sure he will significantly decline someday. But this year shows that for him it's still a couple years off. Nice try though. You gotta be right about something eventually.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I stopped being a fan years ago when I thought the game became more of a show. The foul call inconsistency also bugs me. There were announcers who would actually say stuff like "he's earned the right to get that call". Of course the players moaning about every foul call also turned me off. I know the league attempted to fix that a little. It just stopped being my cup of tea. It didn't help that the team I rooted for (the Pacers) were, and still are, in NBA purgatory. They are a well run organization who makes the playoffs almost every season, but with Indianapolis not being a good destination city, they cannot attract enough stars to make runs at the title. They have not had a top 5 pick since 1988.

Thanks for the answer. I can understand what you're saying. Been watching the NBA since the early 80's. But even back the calls favored the stars. What I don't care for is this flopping nonsense. You watch any college hoops?

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bulls making a late push

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd even ask why even enter an NBA thread at all.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All good points. I would add, though, players have been crying about fouls and there have been "star calls" for a very long time.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kobe fell off a cliff.

as they say:

Can't really compare Kobe. That Achilles tear ruined the last 3 years. I don't think he would have played at as high a level for his age as Lebron is (who was the last 36 year old that was talked about as a top MVP candidate?), but I think he still would have been pretty darn good.

It's interesting with Lebron. There is no way that he should be playing as well as he was at this age, with that many miles...and yet he was.

As far as the effect on his play next year, the extra rest from a shortened season will no doubt help. Just as I'm sure the extra rest from only playing 60 something games last year and missing the playoffs helped him this year. In that respect, I think shopson is correct.

Having said that, you are also correct because he will still be older and no matter how much rest he gets, time still takes it toll. It might not be as much as it would have been if he had full seasons with finals runs...but it will still take a toll.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the answer. I can understand what you're saying. Been watching the NBA since the early 80's. But even back the calls favored the stars. What I don't care for is this flopping nonsense. You watch any college hoops?
I do still watch college basketball. Was very bummed we didn't have March Madness this year.
I know lots of people bitch that they do not like the 1 and done players, but I like what it brings to the table. In the past 10 years or so it has allowed some smaller schools to be successful. Each year you see a smaller school with 4-5 senior starters knock off a team like Kentucky that is playing with very talented freshmen. It's like an equalizer for small schools to have decent runs in the tourney every few years. Experience can Trump talent many times.