• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Biggest Losers of a (likely) Nixed NBA Season

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love a December-August NBA season. Way better then October-June. Give us some entertaining basketball in Summer time.

Always thought NHL should move their season more to the Summer time to reach a bigger audience. Since it gets overshadowed by the NBA and the NBA playoffs.
Said in other thread my preference is leave it alone. This switch makes M-F kind of boring sports wise from Oct-late Dec.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Said in other thread my preference is leave it alone. This switch makes M-F kind of boring sports wise from Oct-late Dec.

How? You have football on Monday & Thursday, baseball playoffs all of October, & college basketball and/or hockey in November and December

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep and June-August is the "dog days" in baseball. People are pretty much only half paying attention.

That's a lot easier to compete with than college football and the NFL. Especially when you consider that it includes competing with the college bowl season and playoff and the NFL playoffs.
will say while it's not my preference, I do get why NBA would consider the switch. Guessing the players would be against it.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mark Cuban has been pretty vocal about saying they need to get up and running so people have something positive and fun to focus on during the pandemic. We didn't shut down baseball even during WWII. I get why of course (that wasn't something to ban crowds). But the positive psychological impact could be huge. Play in empty gyms and arenas, you wouldn't watch that?
I'll double check the date, but fairly certain Cuban said he'd give anyone who wants it the over (or the later) on May 1 to get close to back to normal and get sports going again.

Hope he's right.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point no one knows what it means, it's unprecedented. But I very much doubt that's how they would handle draft position.
Me, too....strike season was close to same number of games as this season. while they did have playoffs that season, my guess is they would hold the lottery as those in playoff positions made the playoffs.

I am confident in saying zero chance (looky there, @tlance ) they give everyone "same odds" to get the #1 pick.

That said, I could see holding a draft lottery with every team included (granted, a miniscule chance for top teams) as a slim possibility.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How? You have football on Monday & Thursday, baseball playoffs all of October, & college basketball and/or hockey in November and December
Remember, this is my preference. If you disagree, cool. But here is my reasoning......Because one game of football a couple days not the same as 3-12 games of the NBA nearly every day. Pretty sure I am like the majority of baseball fans and when my team is done I take little interest in the rest of the playoffs other than a glimpse every now and then. Also guessing I am like many with no hockey team and pay little to no attention.

NCAA bball? I care, sure, and there are some great OOC games (many on weekends), but like many, I don't really get into it until closer to conference tourneys (other than OSU).

Also for me (which was the reason for MY answer) I am still old school and enjoy reading an actual newspaper/sports page every day. I like the daily bball articles and the box scores (in addition to the football coverage).

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt teachers are the only ones who like summers off. Very small sample size, but a few Cavaliers have said as much.

Miss the playoffs and you still get summer off lol

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miss the playoffs and you still get summer off lol
haha....problem is while my team might be a year or 2 away most NBA teams do not miss playoffs.

all seriousness, I do wonder what other players have said about this as I have not heard many speak on the matter.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
haha....problem is while my team might be a year or 2 away most NBA teams do not miss playoffs.

all seriousness, I do wonder what other players have said about this as I have not heard many speak on the matter.

Probably depends on their priority, imo.

For the league (and ultimately their bank accounts), this could be a lucrative thing for the NBA.

Some of the things we see on this board every year from October to Christmas are comments like "Why is the NBA board so dead?" or "I don't start following basketball until close to the end of the season and playoffs" or "Why are the NBA's tv rating so low?".

A big part of that comes from having to compete with the monster that is the NFL and college football. Not having to compete directly with the NFL and college football should help the NBA's rating dramatically.

Players who look at it from a financial perspective would probably be for it.

Those who prefer summers off (maybe because their kids are out of school too) possibly wouldn't be for it.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll double check the date, but fairly certain Cuban said he'd give anyone who wants it the over (or the later) on May 1 to get close to back to normal and get sports going again.

Hope he's right.
Most sports no but some form of NBA, I feel like is possible and even probable if this HORSE thing has legs

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me, too....strike season was close to same number of games as this season. while they did have playoffs that season, my guess is they would hold the lottery as those in playoff positions made the playoffs.

I am confident in saying zero chance (looky there, @tlance ) they give everyone "same odds" to get the #1 pick.

That said, I could see holding a draft lottery with every team included (granted, a miniscule chance for top teams) as a slim possibility.

Way to go out on a limb there.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So reward the teams who sucked but punish the ones who actually tried?

That sends a great message.

No.

Give the highest pick odds to the worst teams for the sake of parity.

That is how every American professional sports league does their drafts. A canceled season would suck, but it doesn’t provide a reason to throw away that structure. They played enough games to know which teams suck and need the most help.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt teachers are the only ones who like summers off. Very small sample size, but a few Cavaliers have said as much.

Eh.

I am a teacher.

Summers off are great. But if we had fall or winter off instead of summer, I wouldn’t complain as long as the reason made sense and was what is best for kids.

Schools have done summers off traditionally because of the heat. Pre-air conditioning it was basically a must. Today, the issue would be that you couldn’t take kids outside on days where there is a heat advisory.

Point being, the reason for school summers off makes sense. If the NBA had a good reason for changing the timing of the off season, I am guessing most players would be alright with it. As long as the resining makes sense.