• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Biggest Losers of a (likely) Nixed NBA Season

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be surprised if the season gets canceled. There seems to be a good deal of momentum to try and finish it.

In fact, some are saying it's actually a great opportunity for the NBA to get their scheduling set up better.

Right now, the season starts in October and ends up getting lost behind the NFL and College Football.

Folks are suggesting that if they set it up so that the finals end in August, they could start next season on Christmas Day and end in August.

They'd only be competing with baseball after February and the NBA season would end just as MLB is gearing up for the playoffs.

As for Kyrie and KD. Kyrie might be able to come back. It would be stupid for KD to even try.
I would love a December-August NBA season. Way better then October-June. Give us some entertaining basketball in Summer time.

Always thought NHL should move their season more to the Summer time to reach a bigger audience. Since it gets overshadowed by the NBA and the NBA playoffs.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love a December-August NBA season. Way better then October-June. Give us some entertaining basketball in Summer time.

Yep and June-August is the "dog days" in baseball. People are pretty much only half paying attention.

That's a lot easier to compete with than college football and the NFL. Especially when you consider that it includes competing with the college bowl season and playoff and the NFL playoffs.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep and June-August is the "dog days" in baseball. People are pretty much only half paying attention.

That's a lot easier to compete with than college football and the NFL. Especially when you consider that it includes competing with the college bowl season and playoff and the NFL playoffs.
I don't really start paying attention to the NBA till Christmas Day and after anyways because of football. This makes too much sense for it to happen though, otherwise it would have/should have happened years ago.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really start paying attention to the NBA till Christmas Day and after anyways because of football. This makes too much sense for it to happen though, otherwise it would have/should have happened years ago.

I pay attention to the Lakers as soon as the season starts, but outside of the Lakers, if it's a choice between the NBA and a football game (especially college) I'm far more likely to watch the football game.

We'll see as far as it making sense. This is probably the first time they've had a situation where they could make the transition fairly easily.

Find a way to set the season so that it ends in August. I don't think schedules for next season are done yet.

So, set the schedule so that the season starts on Christmas and ends in August.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,796.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This will all be over basically by end of April or early May when it heats up. Plenty of time to have 5-6 reg season games and start the playoffs.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,796.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I blame the Corona virus.....

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be surprised if the season gets canceled. There seems to be a good deal of momentum to try and finish it.

In fact, some are saying it's actually a great opportunity for the NBA to get their scheduling set up better.

Right now, the season starts in October and ends up getting lost behind the NFL and College Football.

Folks are suggesting that if they set it up so that the finals end in August, they could start next season on Christmas Day and end in August.

They'd only be competing with baseball after February and the NBA season would end just as MLB is gearing up for the playoffs.

As for Kyrie and KD. Kyrie might be able to come back. It would be stupid for KD to even try.
Mark Cuban has been pretty vocal about saying they need to get up and running so people have something positive and fun to focus on during the pandemic. We didn't shut down baseball even during WWII. I get why of course (that wasn't something to ban crowds). But the positive psychological impact could be huge. Play in empty gyms and arenas, you wouldn't watch that?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mark Cuban has been pretty vocal about saying they need to get up and running so people have something positive and fun to focus on during the pandemic. We didn't shut down baseball even during WWII. I get why of course (that wasn't something to ban crowds). But the positive psychological impact could be huge. Play in empty gyms and arenas, you wouldn't watch that?

Yeah, he's kept a really positive outlook. I've liked his ideas too. Seems like he's got a couple of different ideas based on which way this thing goes and they seem plausible.

He makes a great point too. People need to something to get excited about. Whichever sport is the first to start having games, whether they have fans in the stands or not, is going to get huge ratings.

Probably pick up some new fans too because even people who don't watch sports or don't watch that sport will likely be watching too.

And heck, the playing in empty arenas would actually be kind of cool for a little bit just because it would be unique.

Too bad they couldn't turn the mics up a bit so we could hear the players talking trash. lol

Last edited:

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You honestly believe that LeBron James is the main reason NBA execs will try to finish the season?

Yes. As long as he's in the league he will always be the league's cash cow. Hell, Kobe still is a cash cow even now that he's dead.

(R.I.P. Kobe)

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easily LeBron is #1 by a MILE. He was having a great season. When you combine his age, and last years humiliation, its easily LeBron.

bucks as #2 because its just one less chance to prove to Giannis that he should stay.

anyone else is a DISTANT #3

The reason I did not include the Bucks is because they could bring back a similar roster for next year and go at it again.

As for Giannis, the pandemic will not be the reason he'd leave the Bucks if he does so. So far, he's shown no inclination that he wants to leave. Dallas and Toronto right now are the only other remote possibilities to land him and even those teams seem like a longshot. I don't really see Giannis wanting to play second fiddle to Luka, and if he goes to Toronto he'll be given a chunk of the "can't beat 'em so join 'em" treatment that Durant got.

If Giannis leaves Milwaukee, it will not be to the fault of the Bucks or the pandemic. It will be due to some mystery team coming out of the woodwork next season.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Giannis leaves Milwaukee, it will not be to the fault of the Bucks or the pandemic. It will be due to some mystery team coming out of the woodwork next season.

If Giannis leaves the Bucks, it will be because he doesn't believe they can put the pieces around him to win a title.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Giannis leaves the Bucks, it will be because he doesn't believe they can put the pieces around him to win a title.

Or maybe he doesn’t want to live in cold ass small market Milwaukee if he has other comparable options.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. As long as he's in the league he will always be the league's cash cow. Hell, Kobe still is a cash cow even now that he's dead.

(R.I.P. Kobe)

Honestly, that is just dumb.

Literally everybody loses by the games not being played. While LeBron is near or at the top of the short list of players a season cancellation would be worst for, he is by far and away not the “main reason” execs want to finish the season.

Literally everybody: fans, coaches, players, owners benefit from finishing the season if they are able.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

(R.I.P. Kobe)

You want to know why no one respects your opinion and you get mocked?

It's stupid shit like this post right here.

Does Lebron hold a certain amount of power in the league and would his opinion be listened to if he speaks up? Yes. As would the opinions of Giannis, AD, Steph Curry and pretty much any other star level player.

But, as @tlance said, they have far better/more important reasons for wanting to finish the season.

Not the least of which would be giving people some semblance of normalcy and something to come together over.

Shit, I hope they complete the season just to give us all something to argue about besides this fucking virus.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A cancelled season means cancelled results. You think the Bucks, Lakers and Clippers are going to be losers?

How about the Cavs, Knicks and Warriors? So they're going to reward the shit teams and punish the ones that actually tried?

A cancelled season means every team gets equal odds of landing the #1 draft pick.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A cancelled season means cancelled results. You think the Bucks, Lakers and Clippers are going to be losers?

How about the Cavs, Knicks and Warriors? So they're going to reward the shit teams and punish the ones that actually tried?

A cancelled season means every team gets equal odds of landing the #1 draft pick.
At this point no one knows what it means, it's unprecedented. But I very much doubt that's how they would handle draft position.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, no way they do that.

They played 60 some games. Not going to ignore those results.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The city of Milwaukee and basketball fans in Wisconsin. That's who would lose the most.

It's a small window they have to get to see a championship. Very small. And if this season has no finish it's a serious drop in the odds of them seeing that Finals run.

Zion loses more than most players too.

LeBron's window is bigger than most, I don't see him having an issue being rolish on a stacked team at some point. Still think we're just at the beginning of witnessing his old man greatness. Maybe, just maybe, he's shooting an assload of free throws lately. Look out if he is.

We all lose if we don't get tPlayoffs. But I would like a few more regular season games first. Pistons have some losin to do still.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Warriors have earned their draft position.