• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Biggest Losers of a (likely) Nixed NBA Season

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...and yet, he's still playing at an MVP level. Any predictions of a sudden drop off next season are influenced by your personal hatred.
when did i say he would have a sudden drop off next season?

i still think he will play at an all star level next season.

but even with the Cavs the 2nd time- athletically there were things that he just could not do that he did in Cleveland the first time and in Miami- and that was early 30's.

This isnt rocket science.

my original point stands--- no one had more to lose from this season ending the way it did (or likely did) than LeBron due to his age and performance. I dont know anyone that would say otherwise.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

but even with the Cavs the 2nd time- athletically there were things that he just could not do that he did in Cleveland the first time and in Miami- and that was early 30's.

my original point stands--- no one had more to lose from this season ending the way it did (or likely did) than LeBron due to his age and performance. I dont know anyone that would say otherwise.

I would say the Bucks losing another season before Giannis' free agency is bigger. One more year before things get REALLY expensive (as long as he stays).

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A good point if we are talking about an actual player. and to the question "WHO had the most to lose........" sure seems reasonable one could answer with a player.

I'd say Bucks as a franchise (or their fans) could be the answer, too. Not sure I can come up with a player who could lose more.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say the Bucks losing another season before Giannis' free agency is bigger. One more year before things get REALLY expensive (as long as he stays).

I think this is something where you can have more than 1 answer be correct.

For players...I think it has to be Lebron. As Wiggy said, the level he was playing at had him set up as a possible MVP at age 36 (which is kind of crazy to think about) and possibly win another title and possibly another finals MVP.

He's a helluva a lot closer to the end of his career than the beginning. So, unless he can play like this until he's 45, his window of opportunity has gotten pretty small. Even smaller if AD leaves.

For teams, I agree that it's gotta be the Bucks, imo. As you point out, Giannis will be an FA soon and who knows if he will stay or if the Bucks will spend the money to get/keep a championship caliber roster around him.

This is their best chance at getting a title since probably 1971 when Kareem led them to their only title. If they don't get it done now, it may be another 50 years before they are in this position again.

Last edited:

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe Kawhi. He enhances his reputation even more if he beats LeBron this year and wins one for the Clips. He'll equal LeBron in number of titles while also beating him in the race of first player to win titles for 3 different teams. People already think that Kawhi is more clutch in the postseason than LeBron, and this would make the gap even wider.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is something where you can have more than 1 answer be correct.

For players...I think it has to be Lebron. As Wiggy said, the level he was playing at had him set up as a possible MVP at age 36 (which is kind of crazy to think about) and possibly win another title and possibly another finals MVP.

He's a helluva a lot closer to the end of his career than the beginning. So, unless he can play like this until he's 45, his window of opportunity has gotten pretty small. Even smaller if AD leaves.

For teams, I agree that it's gotta be the Bucks, imo. As you point out, he will be an FA soon and who knows if he will stay or if the Bucks will spend the money to get/keep a championship caliber roster around him.

This is their best chance at getting a title since probably 1971 when Kareem led them to their only title. If they don't get it done now, it may be another 50 years before they are in this position again.

On the other hand, everyone already has LeBron way up there in the all time great list, while players like Harden, Giannis, and even Kawhi still have a lot of spots they can climb.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Biggest loser could be Harden. He's arguably the best player in the NBA and has been at the top or near the top for years, but still no championship and he's already 30 years old.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the other hand, everyone already has LeBron way up there in the all time great list, while players like Harden, Giannis, and even Kawhi still have a lot of spots they can climb.

And they all have more time left to do it than Lebron does.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Biggest loser could be Harden. He's arguably the best player in the NBA and has been at the top or near the top for years, but still no championship and he's already 30 years old.

Harden might be the biggest winner of the season gets canceled.

He gets to avoid another playoff flop.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harden might be the biggest winner of the season gets canceled.

He gets to avoid another playoff flop.

LOL. His reputation is already so low compared to other superstar players that it can't drop further. He can only go up. But even if the Rockets were to win this year, he'll probably still get discredited by people saying that it's an asterisk championship.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Kawhi. He enhances his reputation even more if he beats LeBron this year and wins one for the Clips. He'll equal LeBron in number of titles while also beating him in the race of first player to win titles for 3 different teams. People already think that Kawhi is more clutch in the postseason than LeBron, and this would make the gap even wider.
kawhi is 28....he just doesnt have the same urgency

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
absolutely...and LeBron can win a ring at 36, but my point is that losing this season was huge for him. He could have been the MVP and could have won a title and now its all up in smoke and he is not getting any younger.

Also, if you are talking wear and tear--- Jordan's wear and tear was no where near LeBron's. LeBron raced by Jordan's careeer minutes played.

When you factor that LeBron did not go to college and did not take a sabbatical to play baseball, (that and the added playoff games, Team USA games), the wear and tear comparisons between MJ and LeBron are simply out the window.
You're right they are out the window. LeBron is probably healthier at age 36 than Jordan was.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there are only 2 other active NBA players in the top 50 players for minutes.

1 is fairly easy i think.

can anyone name them without cheating?

Hassan Whiteside & Tristan Thompson?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is not arguably the best player in the NBA.

Best scorer maybe

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is not arguably the best player in the NBA.

Best scorer maybe

Well, arguably he is the best. It wouldn't have been so crazy for him to win MVP last year. Also, he's not a bad defender anymore. He's actually pretty good on defense now. When he switches onto bigger guys, those players find that they can't back him down like they can with other guards. Harden is really strong.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, arguably he is the best. It wouldn't have been so crazy for him to win MVP last year. Also, he's not a bad defender anymore. He's actually pretty good on defense now. When he switches onto bigger guys, those players find that they can't back him down like they can with other guards. Harden is really strong.
He's one of the best players, yes. But you would not prefer to have him lead your team over having LeBron, Giannis, Kawhi, and probably even Curry. As you said he hasn't sniffed a championship and there's good reasons why.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's one of the best players, yes. But you would not prefer to have him lead your team over having LeBron, Giannis, Kawhi, and probably even Curry. As you said he hasn't sniffed a championship and there's good reasons why.

On not winning a championship yet, I think a part of that is bad luck. I don't know how I became the biggest Harden defender on this board, but it looks I am. LOL. Harden was young when OKC went to the Finals. As a Rocket, I don't think he's ever had as strong of a supporting cast as LeBron, Curry, and Kawhi's title winning teams. Maybe the flaw in the Rockets' approach is they rely too much on Harden. It could be why he seems to fatigue toward the end of games. At least it seems like he gets tired.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On not winning a championship yet, I think a part of that is bad luck. I don't know how I became the biggest Harden defender on this board, but it looks I am. LOL. Harden was young when OKC went to the Finals. As a Rocket, I don't think he's ever had as strong of a supporting cast as LeBron, Curry, and Kawhi's title winning teams. Maybe the flaw in the Rockets' approach is they rely too much on Harden. It could be why he seems to fatigue toward the end of games. At least it seems like he gets tired.
Luck is a part of every championship. Harden gets gassed in the playoffs because he gets a lot of his regular season stats running up the score on bad teams. When teams can play him over and over in a series they can wear him down and limit his effectiveness.

He's not a leader, he doesn't make others better, he's not the best player in the league.