• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Biggest Losers of a (likely) Nixed NBA Season

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do still watch college basketball. Was very bummed we didn't have March Madness this year.
I know lots of people bitch that they do not like the 1 and done players, but I like what it brings to the table. In the past 10 years or so it has allowed some smaller schools to be successful. Each year you see a smaller school with 4-5 senior starters knock off a team like Kentucky that is playing with very talented freshmen. It's like an equalizer for small schools to have decent runs in the tourney every few years. Experience can Trump talent many times.

Many were bummed that there was no March Madness. Nothing beats the excitement of the Tourney. Myself not a big fan of the 1 & done. I think there are more examples of 1 & dones that weren't ready for the NBA (for a number of reasons) than players that made a positive impact. Of course they are always a few exceptions.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't really compare Kobe. That Achilles tear ruined the last 3 years. I don't think he would have played at as high a level for his age as Lebron is (who was the last 36 year old that was talked about as a top MVP candidate?), but I think he still would have been pretty darn good.

It's interesting with Lebron. There is no way that he should be playing as well as he was at this age, with that many miles...and yet he was.

As far as the effect on his play next year, the extra rest from a shortened season will no doubt help. Just as I'm sure the extra rest from only playing 60 something games last year and missing the playoffs helped him this year. In that respect, I think shopson is correct.

Having said that, you are also correct because he will still be older and no matter how much rest he gets, time still takes it toll. It might not be as much as it would have been if he had full seasons with finals runs...but it will still take a toll.

"There is no way that he should be playing as well as he was at his age"

Deer antler spray.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't really compare Kobe. That Achilles tear ruined the last 3 years. I don't think he would have played at as high a level for his age as Lebron is (who was the last 36 year old that was talked about as a top MVP candidate?), but I think he still would have been pretty darn good.

It's interesting with Lebron. There is no way that he should be playing as well as he was at this age, with that many miles...and yet he was.

As far as the effect on his play next year, the extra rest from a shortened season will no doubt help. Just as I'm sure the extra rest from only playing 60 something games last year and missing the playoffs helped him this year. In that respect, I think shopson is correct.

Having said that, you are also correct because he will still be older and no matter how much rest he gets, time still takes it toll. It might not be as much as it would have been if he had full seasons with finals runs...but it will still take a toll.
Wasn't Jordan 36 when he won his last ring?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
35, I think. So close enough.

Yeah that's why I think LeBron can still play well enough to win a title the next 2-3 years. He's at least as physically gifted as Jordan.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah that's why I think LeBron can still play well enough to win a title the next 2-3 years. He's at least as physically gifted as Jordan.

Yeah, and like MJ, Lebron had learned to make some age related "concessions" in adjusting his game.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Even more so.

he has 2 inches and 40-50 pounds on MJ.

I see no reason to believe LeBron won’t still be playing at an all star level 3 years from now if he wants to.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Many were bummed that there was no March Madness. Nothing beats the excitement of the Tourney. Myself not a big fan of the 1 & done. I think there are more examples of 1 & dones that weren't ready for the NBA (for a number of reasons) than players that made a positive impact. Of course they are always a few exceptions.

That's when it really hit me. The thought never even entered my mind that March Madness would be canceled.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even more so.

he has 2 inches and 40-50 pounds on MJ.

I see no reason to believe LeBron won’t still be playing at an all star level 3 years from now if he wants to.

And I assume that he has the benefit of more advanced training and recovery methods, better nutrition, and better doctors. And load management is a thing now.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I assume that he has the benefit of more advanced training and recovery methods, better nutrition, and better doctors. And load management is a thing now.
Plus unlike MJ, LeBron is a family man and not up until 4am gambling and chasing women and smoking cigars

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He is a bigger human. He was 240 pounds in high school.

I don’t care what training methods MJ used, LeBron was always going to be bigger. And that is an advantage even if everything else is comparable (which it probably is).

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is a bigger human. He was 240 pounds in high school.

I don’t care what training methods MJ used, LeBron was always going to be bigger. And that is an advantage even if everything else is comparable (which it probably is).

Yeah, Lebron is definitely a different animal.

I was curious so I looked up the height and weight of the 3 players he is most often compared to, MJ, Kobe and Magic.

MJ - 6'6" 195

Kobe - 6'6" 212

Magic - 6'9" 215

Lebron - 6'9" 250

Magic was closest in size and Lebron still has 35 pounds on him.

When you consider that he is more athletic than Magic and at least as athletic as MJ and Kobe...it's pretty amazing.

Makes me wonder how many titles he could have won if he had played his whole career with a team that was better able to put other top talent around him?

All of those guys are great and as far as GOAT convo's, I still have Lebron behind MJ, Kareem and basically tied with Magic in that debate.

But if you were going to build the perfect basketball player...he'd look a helluva a lot like Lebron.

#inb4 @Wamu says except for his hairline.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Lebron is definitely a different animal.

I was curious so I looked up the height and weight of the 3 players he is most often compared to, MJ, Kobe and Magic.

MJ - 6'6" 195

Kobe - 6'6" 212

Magic - 6'9" 215

Lebron - 6'9" 250

Magic was closest in size and Lebron still has 35 pounds on him.

When you consider that he is more athletic than Magic and at least as athletic as MJ and Kobe...it's pretty amazing.

Makes me wonder how many titles he could have won if he had played his whole career with a team that was better able to put other top talent around him?

All of those guys are great and as far as GOAT convo's, I still have Lebron behind MJ, Kareem and basically tied with Magic in that debate.

But if you were going to build the perfect basketball player...he'd look a helluva a lot like Lebron.

#inb4 @Wamu says except for his hairline.

Now wait a minute. When have I ever made fun of LeBron's hairline? Oh yeah, never mind.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't Jordan 36 when he won his last ring?
absolutely...and LeBron can win a ring at 36, but my point is that losing this season was huge for him. He could have been the MVP and could have won a title and now its all up in smoke and he is not getting any younger.

Also, if you are talking wear and tear--- Jordan's wear and tear was no where near LeBron's. LeBron raced by Jordan's careeer minutes played.

When you factor that LeBron did not go to college and did not take a sabbatical to play baseball, (that and the added playoff games, Team USA games), the wear and tear comparisons between MJ and LeBron are simply out the window.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*LeBron has already played about 7,000 more minutes than MJ did during the regular season in his career.

And as i said- leBron is the NBA's all time leader in aplayoff minutes.

Not only that- but LeBron has played a lot more USA basketball than MJ ever did. All of that adds up.

NBA & ABA Career Playoff Leaders and Records for Minutes Played | Basketball-Reference.com

LeBron has the most playoff minutes in NBA history at 10,049. 2nd is Duncan with 9370

Jordan is 12 with 7474

Regular season minutes LeBron has played 48,329- 8th all time

Jordan is 28th all time in minutes at 41,011.

So, not even counting team USA, LeBron has already played about 10,000 more minutes than Jordan, combined. About 25% more....or roughly 4-5 extra seasons.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there are only 2 other active NBA players in the top 50 players for minutes.

1 is fairly easy i think.

can anyone name them without cheating?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's only one active poster who hung on LeBron's nuts for years only to turn around & become his biggest critic the moment he joined the Lakers.

Can anyone guess who that is?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*LeBron has already played about 7,000 more minutes than MJ did during the regular season in his career.

And as i said- leBron is the NBA's all time leader in aplayoff minutes.

Not only that- but LeBron has played a lot more USA basketball than MJ ever did. All of that adds up.

NBA & ABA Career Playoff Leaders and Records for Minutes Played | Basketball-Reference.com

LeBron has the most playoff minutes in NBA history at 10,049. 2nd is Duncan with 9370

Jordan is 12 with 7474

Regular season minutes LeBron has played 48,329- 8th all time

Jordan is 28th all time in minutes at 41,011.

So, not even counting team USA, LeBron has already played about 10,000 more minutes than Jordan, combined. About 25% more....or roughly 4-5 extra seasons.

...and yet, he's still playing at an MVP level. Any predictions of a sudden drop off next season are influenced by your personal hatred.