• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE BIG 10 THREAD

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on ATF. I've watched every OSU game this year. Your offense still has no deep threat and the only average defense you face (Oklahoma), held you to 1 TD and a few FG's.

I agree -- OSU, when facing teams with inferior athletes, their offense is great. They can complete little bubble screens or 5 yard outs and the WR can take it to the house, like they have done a few times.

To beat the better teams, you have to find a way to make a defense worry about the deep ball, or defenses with talent, will do the same thing UM and Clemson did last year, and Oklahoma did this year. Take away the big plays by bringing pressure and limiting the run by moving the safeties up.

Take a look at the great teams Urban Meyer has had. They all have one thing in common. A WR who can stretch the field. At Florida they had a few, but Percy Harvin was the main guy. When OSU won the title, they had a few, but Devin Smith was the guy.

You haven't had that since Smith left.
Doesn't matter about having a deep threat since Barrett's deep ball is shit. Oklahoma held us to 1 TD because we literally refused to run Dobbins or Weber in the RZ (3 trips, 0 RB carries, 3 FGs). Think that may have had something to do with it? If you watched the game, you would've seen Dobbins eating chunks of yards on several plays, and Weber did the same on his few carries. We gameplanned like shit that game and it bit us in the ass.

If you actually watched the last two games, you'd of also seen that we didn't score on bubble screens or 5 yard outs for the most part. Even against Indiana that wasn't it. They were largely throws across the middle.

We have 2 guys this year in KJ Hill and Parris Campbell who have already shown in several games that they can lift the lid, but Barrett either underthrows them or waits too long to get rid of the ball (something he has done an obscene amount suddenly these last two years).

You also realize your argument here is the exact same argument someone could make against michigan's defense this year, right? Honestly, who is the best offensive player you've faced this year? Who's the best QB? Have you even faced an offensive skill position player who will be drafted in the next 2 years?

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. That is your Big 10 'Hiding in the Rose Bowl' in 1994 and 1997 history lesson for today.
HEY, there will be no negative talk about the conference as a whole in here!

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This weeks games. Pick the winners and by how much

Indiana @ Penn State
Maryland @ Minnesota
Iowa @ Michigan State
Ohio State @ Rutgers
Nebraska @ Illinois
Northwestern @ Wisconsin

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How come Harbaugh didn't talk about Iowa's visitor's locker room? I think it is like it was when he played there too.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL. I didn't think you would answer, ya gutless wank.

I was 35 back then so long out of high school.

OK then, you want to talk about the present....

Nebraska is (2-0) against Michigan in the most 'present' we can get. (2012 & 2013).

I did answer. The exact way a normal person would. IT WAS 20 YEARS AGO. No one cares.

Congrats on beating UM, you are now on par with Rutgers, who also beat UM during the 7-8 period of Hoke and Rich Rod.

You are getting closer to the present. You are only 5 years away. Now make the jump and talk about football in the present. If you'd like, I could set up a Thread where you can reminisce about the good ol' days.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't matter about having a deep threat since Barrett's deep ball is shit. Oklahoma held us to 1 TD because we literally refused to run Dobbins or Weber in the RZ (3 trips, 0 RB carries, 3 FGs). Think that may have had something to do with it? If you watched the game, you would've seen Dobbins eating chunks of yards on several plays, and Weber did the same on his few carries. We gameplanned like shit that game and it bit us in the ass.

If you actually watched the last two games, you'd of also seen that we didn't score on bubble screens or 5 yard outs for the most part. Even against Indiana that wasn't it. They were largely throws across the middle.

We have 2 guys this year in KJ Hill and Parris Campbell who have already shown in several games that they can lift the lid, but Barrett either underthrows them or waits too long to get rid of the ball (something he has done an obscene amount suddenly these last two years).

You also realize your argument here is the exact same argument someone could make against michigan's defense this year, right? Honestly, who is the best offensive player you've faced this year? Who's the best QB? Have you even faced an offensive skill position player who will be drafted in the next 2 years?

ATF -- your own former player said almost verbatim what I've said the last two years to you during the Oklahoma game. Herbstreit literally called out OSU for not having a deep threat and said that is what is hurting the offense.

Both announcers called out the WRs for being unable to get separation against OU and went on show clip after clip after clip of Barrett having no one to throw the ball when OSU tried to throw the ball downfield.

I have no doubt KJ Hill and Paris Campbell have the measureables. You have to be able to get off the line of scrimmage on your routes and get separation with your route running to get open. Every team can line up guys to run 4.4's on the outside, there is way more to being a WR than just that. If that was the case -- the NFL would sign Usain Bolt to a max contract and watch him put up monster numbers. That isn't how it works.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Indiana @ Penn State
Maryland @ Minnesota
Iowa @ Michigan State
Ohio State @ Rutgers
Nebraska @ Illinois
Northwestern @ Wisconsin

Is this 1997 Nebraska or 2017?

PSU 38-14
Minnesota 17-13
Iowa 31-21
OSU 900-3
1997 Nebraska 62-10
2017 Nebraska 24-20
Wisconsin 31-17

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it okay to talk shit about meeeechegan?
Fuck yeah

giphy.gif

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did answer. The exact way a normal person would. IT WAS 20 YEARS AGO. No one cares.

Congrats on beating UM, you are now on par with Rutgers, who also beat UM during the 7-8 period of Hoke and Rich Rod.

You are getting closer to the present. You are only 5 years away. Now make the jump and talk about football in the present. If you'd like, I could set up a Thread where you can reminisce about the good ol' days.

Actually they were Yes/No questions, so you failed to answer them.
The 2013 season was just 3 full seasons ago (not 5).

Alas I will accomodate you yet again and talk about ' Post' 2013.

Michigan

2014 - (5-7)
2015 - (10-3)
2016 - (10-3)

NO National Championships
NO Conference Championships
NOT EVEN a 'Division' Championship

Those are Bo Pelini numbers. Not a fucking thing of substance won.

Is that 'present' enough for you, or is it the 'What Might Be' present you really want to talk about?

Last edited:

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Indiana @ Penn State
Maryland @ Minnesota
Iowa @ Michigan State
Ohio State @ Rutgers
Nebraska @ Illinois
Northwestern @ Wisconsin

Penn State 74 Indiana 36
Minnesota 27 Maryland 21
Iowa 29 Michigan State 15
Ohio State 67 Rutgers 1
Nebraska 20 Illinois 19
Wisconsin 36 Northwestern 21

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ATF -- your own former player said almost verbatim what I've said the last two years to you during the Oklahoma game. Herbstreit literally called out OSU for not having a deep threat and said that is what is hurting the offense.

Both announcers called out the WRs for being unable to get separation against OU and went on show clip after clip after clip of Barrett having no one to throw the ball when OSU tried to throw the ball downfield.

I have no doubt KJ Hill and Paris Campbell have the measureables. You have to be able to get off the line of scrimmage on your routes and get separation with your route running to get open. Every team can line up guys to run 4.4's on the outside, there is way more to being a WR than just that. If that was the case -- the NFL would sign Usain Bolt to a max contract and watch him put up monster numbers. That isn't how it works.
It's not on the WRs. At least not the overwhelming majority of it. From Tim Bielik of Cleveland.com, sports writer:

I wrote after the game about how the first two passes from Barrett in the fourth quarter helped lead to 14 points from the Sooners. The first came on a 4th-and-4 to start the quarter and he missed K.J. Hill deep down the field. Barrett forced his throw in between three defenders and rolling to his right kept him from finding an open Parris Campbell on a mesh route right at the sticks. After Ohio State got the ball back down, 24-13, Barrett threw his first interception of the season. He tried to hit Johnnie Dixon on a five-yard comeback. But he threw it late, and Oklahoma's Parnell Motley stepped in front of it for the interception.

Need more examples? Here ya go:
3rd and 7 and OSU was moving the ball down 17-13.
screen-shot-2017-09-11-at-14925-ampng-26c0558c9b1231f1.png

He hits Dixon on a simple crossing pattern and it's easily a 1st and in looking at where the defenders are, a very likely TD. Instead this ends up in a turnover on downs on the next play, which was another bad Barrett pass.

Here's another missed TD on a bad throw from Barrett to a wide open WR. We had to settle for another FG:
giphy.gif

Our WRs have been able to get separation for the last two years. I've watched more than enough to be able to see Barrett just can't consistently hit open guys on most routes that aren't either wide open or </= 10 yards off the line of scrimmage. Do you honestly think that with this many 4-5* WRs on the roster, not a single one can get separation? Or do you think maybe it's the one common denominator for the last two years. Even if they can't get completely wide open on every single play, that doesn't mean he can't throw them open, which is what a good QB does.

Also, your Usain Bolt reference is remarkably stupid. The reasons he isn't in the NFL number far greater than supposedly not being able to separate (which you don't even know).

herky

YEAH JEETS!!!!!!111
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that entire post as if Ron Jaworski was on SportsHoopla.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indiana @ Penn State
Maryland @ Minnesota
Iowa @ Michigan State
Ohio State
@ Rutgers
Nebraska @ Illinois
Northwestern @ Wisconsin

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually they were Yes/No questions, so you failed to answer them.
The 2013 season was just 3 full seasons ago (not 5).

Alas I will accomodate you yet again and talk about ' Post' 2013.

Michigan

2014 - (5-7)
2015 - (10-3)
2016 - (10-3)

NO National Championships
NO Conference Championships
NOT EVEN a 'Division' Championship

Those are Bo Pelini numbers. Not a fucking thing of substance won.

Is that 'present' enough for you, or is it the 'What Might Be' present you really want to talk about?

If we had 4 losses the last two years, I'd agree. Pelini lost at least 4 every year he coached. And in case Nebraska has been left in the dark, UM has been irrelevant for the better part of a decade. We've literally had losing seasons.

You see UM and Nebraska both hired their coaches the same year. Mike Riley inherited a 9-4 team and let them to a 17-13 record in 2+ years
UM hired Harbaugh and he inherited a 5-7 team and led them to a 24-6 record on the last 2+ years.

In the first two years -- UM finished 10th and 12th nationally. The last time Nebraska has finished a season ranked that high, we had just got over the Y2K scare.

This is why I've said REPEATEDLY -- worry about now. No one cares about the 90's.