• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE BIG 10 THREAD

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Adam Rittenberg tweet

Here's how a former Big Ten assistant assessed 12 of the visiting locker rooms in the league. It's definitely a problem.

Pathetic = Illinois, Purdue, Michigan State, Maryland, Northwestern

Below Average = Michigan, Ohio State

OK = Nebraska, Wisconsin, Iowa, Penn State

Nice = Minnesota

By elimination, this coach never visited Rutgers or Indiana.

For being a Northwestern graduate, Adam Rittenberg doesn't seem to be a very thorough journalist....

....Michigan State's new north end zone facility which includes new locker rooms was completed August 2014.

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/...eils-north-end-zone-stadium-complex/14565501/

I can see interviewing a current coach for information, but a former B1G assistant? Just how former is former? Apparently a lot, since the Michigan State stadium locker room upgrade is already in it's 4th year of use! So....I wonder how many of those other schools have also been upgraded since this former assistant last visited the facilities?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we're talking about defense, Michigan held Florida to 3 points. Penalizing Michigan's defense because their offense threw 2 pick 6's is ridiculously dumb.
Fine. Still not a shutout, and while holding a team to 3 points is good, Florida's offense in week 1 wouldn't have scored points against almost anyone. Hell, OSU would've looked like the 85 Bears against them that week.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fine. Still not a shutout, and while holding a team to 3 points is good, Florida's offense in week 1 wouldn't have scored points against almost anyone. Hell, OSU would've looked like the 85 Bears against them that week.

You do realize you gave up 420 yards passing to Indiana in week 1, right? A team who didn't throw for 200 yards against Georgia Southern or Virginia.

Just sayin'. :suds:

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One poll voted Michigan #1.

All other polls voted Nebraska #1.

Hmmm, one team received a gift alright.

The media (AP) voted voted Michigan #1. If you recall Michigan's QB was Brian Griese. His daddy Bob Griese was an ABC commentator. Michigan had the benefactor of an individual on a soap box saying "My boy this, My boy that, Michigan this, Michigan that" throughout the season. He even did it when he was commentating games where Michigan wasn't even playing.
The media (AP) vote was a 'gift' to one of their own in Bob Griese. If you recall the vast majority of AP sportswriters had submitted their votes after the Rose Bowl. That was before Nebraska/#3 Tennesse had even played in the Orange Bowl the next day.

None of this would have even be an issue if the Big 10 had joined the 'Bowl Coalition' ('92-'94) and subsequent 'Bowl Alliance' ('95-'97) instead of hiding in the Rose Bowl to dodge having to play the best team available. The Coalition and Alliance were created to pit #1 vs #2.
The Big 10 was finally (begrudgingly) forced into the BCS in '98.
That ended the media doing favors for it's lackeys.

Last edited:

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize you gave up 420 yards passing to Indiana in week 1, right? A team who didn't throw for 200 yards against Georgia Southern or Virginia.

This is also an Indiana team that ranked in the top 3 in the B1G in passing offense in 3 of the last 4 years, with two of those years being ranked first. Not to mention the fact they had billed the game as their "biggest game in 50 years" and pulled out all the stops against our extremely green secondary playing it's first game. They also threw the ball nearly 70 times against us while throwing it 53 times combined in those other two games as they were averaging nearly 200 yards on the ground and 43 ppg.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Also, with the Gator offensive linemen busy with each other, our defensive line would've had a field day...

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The media (AP) voted voted Michigan #1. If you recall Michigan's QB was Brian Griese. His daddy Bob Griese was an ABC commentator. Michigan had the benefactor of an individual on a soap box saying "My boy this, My boy that, Michigan this, Michigan that" throughout the season. He even did it when he was commentating games where Michigan wasn't even playing.
The media (AP) vote was a 'gift' to one of their own in Bob Griese.

None of this would have even be an issue if the Big 10 had joined the 'Bowl Coalition' ('92-'94) and subsequent 'Bowl Alliance' ('95-'97) instead of hiding in the Rose Bowl to dodge having to play the best team available. The Coalition and Alliance were created to pit #1 vs #2.
The Big 10 was finally (begrudgingly) forced into the BCS in '98.
That ended the media doing favors for it's lackeys.

Absolutely priceless to hear the stories Husker fans have drummed up over the years to convince themselves they weren't gifted half a championship, because their coach, just so happened to announce he was retiring before the bowl games.

That being said. It is 20 years later. The going away present was for Osborne, it didn't mean the entire program had to go away too.

Quit worrying about 20 years ago and worry about how Northern Illinois beat you and Rutgers played you closely. I swear -- Husker fans remind of the high school hero, who now works a minimum wage job, but always wants to talk about the big game in high school. Worry about today, 20 years ago means absolutely nothing to anyone.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, with the Gator offensive linemen busy with each other, our defensive line would've had a field day...

I was just pointing out the obvious. The 85' Bears gave up 420 to Indiana in the air. The same Indiana who threw for less than 400 combined against Georgia Southern and Virginia.

I realize you love OSU, but at some point you have to see, they aren't as good as you make them out to be. A very good team? Absolutely. A dominate team? No.

I will say this -- your defense is much better than your offense though, so you are in the same boat as UM. IMO, your offense is better than our offense and our defense is better than your defense. So the game should be very interesting to watch this year.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely priceless to hear the stories Husker fans have drummed up over the years to convince themselves they weren't gifted half a championship, because their coach, just so happened to announce he was retiring before the bowl games.

That being said. It is 20 years later. The going away present was for Osborne, it didn't mean the entire program had to go away too.

Quit worrying about 20 years ago and worry about how Northern Illinois beat you and Rutgers played you closely. I swear -- Husker fans remind of the high school hero, who now works a minimum wage job, but always wants to talk about the big game in high school. Worry about today, 20 years ago means absolutely nothing to anyone.

Stories?

Let's clear this up.

Was the Big 10 a part of the Bowl Coalition or Bowl Alliance meant to pit #1 vs #2?

Did the media (AP) sportswriters submit their votes immediately after the Rose Bowl pitting #1 Michigan vs #8 Washington St, instead of waiting to see #2 Nebraska vs #3 Tennessee the very next day?

Yes or No...

I'll await your answers.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just pointing out the obvious. The 85' Bears gave up 420 to Indiana in the air. The same Indiana who threw for less than 400 combined against Georgia Southern and Virginia.

I realize you love OSU, but at some point you have to see, they aren't as good as you make them out to be. A very good team? Absolutely. A dominate team? No.

I will say this -- your defense is much better than your offense though, so you are in the same boat as UM. IMO, your offense is better than our offense and our defense is better than your defense. So the game should be very interesting to watch this year.
Yes, I'm aware the 85 Bears wouldn't have done that. It was meant to be cheeky.

I do love them, and I also know the talent on the roster. If anything, I underestimated the effect Fickell had on the defense so it's taking more time than we'd like to improve, but by year's end I think the defense will be looking great. I also think it's very dumb to say our defense is "much better" than our offense. If you're into the efficiency rankings like EricD is, OSU is 15th in the nation in offensive efficiency. We have the 6th leading rusher in the nation and have 8 different guys with a TD reception. I still don't like Barrett if we have to rely on his arm, but if we move to a run first offense with Dobbins, I'm more than comfortable against any defense on our schedule.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ironically 'Brian Griese' was named 'Player of the Game'.
Ironically his daddy 'Bob Griese' commentated the game.

"MY BOY, MY BOY, MY BOY, MICHIGAN, MICHIGAN MICHIGAN"

OH SNAP!!!!

Screenshot_2017-09-27-09-15-04.jpg

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice. I accidentally click on an ancient history thread

Yes. That is your Big 10 'Hiding in the Rose Bowl' in 1994 and 1997 history lesson for today.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stories?

Let's clear this up.

Was the Big 10 a part of the Bowl Coalition or Bowl Alliance meant to pit #1 vs #2?

Did the media (AP) sportswriters submit their votes immediately after the Rose Bowl pitting #1 Michigan vs #8 Washington St, instead of waiting to see #2 Nebraska vs #3 Tennessee the very next day?

Yes or No...

I'll await your answers.

My answer is..........high school is over. Start living in the present. Arguing about something 20 years ago with two teams who didn't even play each other is BEYOND POINTLESS.

If I were a Nebraska fan -- I'd be worried about the direction the program is going today, instead of talking about the 90's.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My answer is..........high school is over. Start living in the present. Arguing about something 20 years ago with two teams who didn't even play each other is BEYOND POINTLESS.

If I were a Nebraska fan -- I'd be worried about the direction the program is going today, instead of talking about the 90's.

LOL. I didn't think you would answer, ya gutless wank.

I was 35 back then so long out of high school.

OK then, you want to talk about the present....

Nebraska is (2-0) against Michigan in the most 'present' we can get. (2012 & 2013).

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL. I didn't think you would answer, ya gutless wank.

I was 35 back then so long out of high school.

OK then, you want to talk about the present....

Nebraska is (2-0) against Michigan in the most 'present' we can get. (2012 & 2013).
tenor.gif

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3, 2, 1 ......

"Something, Something, Harbaugh" coming.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh come on, it's funny. It's like tHoop's version of "Grumpy Old Men".
Hey now!!! i am not THAT OLD. RA has at least 20 years on me!!! I was in the Marine Corps the last time we played for a natty (and lost - wasnt even able to watch the game!!) and in HS the last time we won the previous 3.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I'm aware the 85 Bears wouldn't have done that. It was meant to be cheeky.

I do love them, and I also know the talent on the roster. If anything, I underestimated the effect Fickell had on the defense so it's taking more time than we'd like to improve, but by year's end I think the defense will be looking great. I also think it's very dumb to say our defense is "much better" than our offense. If you're into the efficiency rankings like EricD is, OSU is 15th in the nation in offensive efficiency. We have the 6th leading rusher in the nation and have 8 different guys with a TD reception. I still don't like Barrett if we have to rely on his arm, but if we move to a run first offense with Dobbins, I'm more than comfortable against any defense on our schedule.

Come on ATF. I've watched every OSU game this year. Your offense still has no deep threat and the only average defense you face (Oklahoma), held you to 1 TD and a few FG's.

I agree -- OSU, when facing teams with inferior athletes, their offense is great. They can complete little bubble screens or 5 yard outs and the WR can take it to the house, like they have done a few times.

To beat the better teams, you have to find a way to make a defense worry about the deep ball, or defenses with talent, will do the same thing UM and Clemson did last year, and Oklahoma did this year. Take away the big plays by bringing pressure and limiting the run by moving the safeties up.

Take a look at the great teams Urban Meyer has had. They all have one thing in common. A WR who can stretch the field. At Florida they had a few, but Percy Harvin was the main guy. When OSU won the title, they had a few, but Devin Smith was the guy.

You haven't had that since Smith left.