• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE BIG 10 THREAD

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that wasn't a knock to NU. I think we all know at Saban's age, he isn't going anywhere else in CFB
Yea i am sure he wouldnt leave being hugely successful where he is being a football god essentially to try and take on the challenge of Nebraska. Whoever the coach is better figure out how to at minimum get us back to Conference Championship showing and winning

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My opinion is that we NEED to go after a P5 coach who is proven and winning and gettin shit done. We have the money, but coaching at Nebraska is high stress should the coach falter. People keep floating Scott Frost, but he isnt exactly "proven" yet but he has the potential! I hear Chip Kelly but i honestly dont see his style of football working at Nebraska or even in the B1G. Depending on how SF does down in florida my opinion could change to be more on board but right now just not enough has been proven/tested for him plus would be good to wait til he gets his recruiting hooks down in florida :D

Chip Kelly would be an interesting hire. He doesn't fit the mold of the B1G, but his success at the college level is impressive. He would definitely create a buzz around the program.

With Scott Frost, id give him a few years, but he could definitely be an option and someone I'm sure Nebraska fans would welcome with open arms.

Guys like Dan Mullen -- established roots in SEC country, and has proven to be a very good coach in the toughest conference(until recently). Or someone like Dave Aranda, a great defensive minded coach, as that seems to be where Nebraska has struggled, seems like they'd be a good fit.

What type of coach does Nebraska fans want? Do you want someone who runs the spread, up tempo, more of a tradition pro style, etc? Or would you rather they bring in a defensive minded head coach, who will put an emphasis on that?

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chip Kelly would be an interesting hire. He doesn't fit the mold of the B1G, but his success at the college level is impressive. He would definitely create a buzz around the program.

With Scott Frost, id give him a few years, but he could definitely be an option and someone I'm sure Nebraska fans would welcome with open arms.

Guys like Dan Mullen -- established roots in SEC country, and has proven to be a very good coach in the toughest conference(until recently). Or someone like Dave Aranda, a great defensive minded coach, as that seems to be where Nebraska has struggled, seems like they'd be a good fit.

What type of coach does Nebraska fans want? Do you want someone who runs the spread, up tempo, more of a tradition pro style, etc? Or would you rather they bring in a defensive minded head coach, who will put an emphasis on that?
Pretty sure most Husker fans want to see us be dominant on Defense but also have the ability to tell the opposing team we are going to run it right at you and nothing you can do about it smash mouth football. Option would be my guess.

Dan Mullen is kinda in a weird wishy washy category though i do hear his name come up frequently, hell this morning they were talkin about him on the way to dropping my daughter off at school. I am just not sold on his record.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a Nebraska fan who brought it up, not me. And I have no clue why you are talking about games 3-4 years apart, but feel free.

Be thankful for the gift in 97' and move on. If I were a Nebraska fan, I'd be more worried about who my next head coach will be, instead of something 20 years ago.

Because I do not want to let facts and logic get in the way. Just like you.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always thought the debate between PSU and Nebraska in 94 was a better one . Both those teams were loaded. Most CFB fans that aren't Michigan fans think Nebraska was clearly the better team in 97

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure most Husker fans want to see us be dominant on Defense but also have the ability to tell the opposing team we are going to run it right at you and nothing you can do about it smash mouth football. Option would be my guess.

Dan Mullen is kinda in a weird wishy washy category though i do hear his name come up frequently, hell this morning they were talkin about him on the way to dropping my daughter off at school. I am just not sold on his record.

Mullen has won roughly 60+% of the games he has coached at Mississippi State, which isn't easy when you have to play Bama, Auburn, LSU, Ole Miss, Arkansas and whoever else I forgot from the SEC West.

If you are wanting a smash mouth, hard nosed defensive coach -- Mullen isn't that. He is known for his offenses. Dave Aranda could fit that mold, as he'd give you the defensive mind to field a dominate defense.

Will be interesting to see where Nebraska goes with the search?

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If the fans get what they want, Bert is heading your way after Arky fires him...

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mullen has won roughly 60+% of the games he has coached at Mississippi State, which isn't easy when you have to play Bama, Auburn, LSU, Ole Miss, Arkansas and whoever else I forgot from the SEC West.

If you are wanting a smash mouth, hard nosed defensive coach -- Mullen isn't that. He is known for his offenses. Dave Aranda could fit that mold, as he'd give you the defensive mind to field a dominate defense.

Will be interesting to see where Nebraska goes with the search?
If the fans get what they want, Bert is heading your way after Arky fires him...
It will be interesting to see what happens. My concern is why has Bert been so horrid at arkansas makes you believe he wasnt the reason the team was winning in wisconsin.... cant honestly say ive seen much of his games since the move to arkansas

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He wouldn't be a bad choice for that style, but I can't see a Blue Blood program hiring him after only winning 49% of his games the last 5 years.

Then again, I just saw Nebraska actually gave Riley a contract extension thru 2020 for some reason?!?! So he probably isn't going anywhere for a while.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be interesting to see what happens. My concern is why has Bert been so horrid at arkansas makes you believe he wasnt the reason the team was winning in wisconsin.... cant honestly say ive seen much of his games since the move to arkansas

From what I've seen, they play the same style they did at UW. I think the real difference is he hasn't been able to put together a D like he did at UW, and he's in a brutal division in that conference. He's the same guy, irritates everyone with his mouth. He also seems to love Arkansas food, cuz he's heading to Mangino territory with his weight.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I haven't either. Arkansas is one of the few teams that are on TV next to never by me. Style wise he fits what Nebraska is looking for, but not performance wise as of late.

There are really very few hard nosed, smash mouth football coaches in CFB. Most are spread and hurry these days. The schools who do have those type of teams, their coaches aren't going anywhere.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's ironic that Wadley was called for a penalty negating a TD yet the PSU-Iowa ESPN hype commercial includes a shot of Barkley highatepping into the end zone on a TD run lol. Kind of like the NFL selling videos of "monster hits " when half those hits ( or more ) draw flags

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's ironic that Wadley was called for a penalty negating a TD yet the PSU-Iowa ESPN hype commercial includes a shot of Barkley highatepping into the end zone on a TD run lol. Kind of like the NFL selling videos of "monster hits " when half those hits ( or more ) draw flags
I don't get how that was taunting. It's not like he pointed at the guys chasing him and tried to show them up, he just did a bit of an exaggerated gait for the final 10 yards. That is one lame call...

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get how that was taunting. It's not like he pointed at the guys chasing him and tried to show them up, he just did a bit of an exaggerated gait for the final 10 yards. That is one lame call...
Iowa scored 3 plays later so it was no biggie but yeah if they call that but don't call the DE who does a 5 second dance after a sack it seems pretty stupid

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WOOT we are now on the hunt for a new AD!!! Was announced right around 1 when i got into my vehicle!! So excited to see what happens, wheelsraturnin!! Thats for OOYM if he is watching this :D

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, I wanted to save my posts on why Nebraska was 1997 champion over an over-rated Michigan team

Reading that thread

Michigan fans love talking about Nebraska needing a miracle but don't mention that time clock in the bowl game

Michigan fans love talking about common opponents, Michigan played them both in Ann Arbor, Nebraska played them both on the road. Michigan fans don't mention that Michigan trailed in seven games, including the bowl game.

Michigan fans love to say how it was a gift to Tom Osborne, yet only one poll ranked Michigan #1. That same poll only ranked three of their opponents in the final rankings, only one in the Top Ten. Nebraska was ranked #2 with five of their opponents ranked in the final rankings, and two of them top ten.

Michigan fan in this thread mentions how Colorado almost beat Nebraska in Boulder. The score was 27-10 Nebraska after three quarters. Yet never mentions those seven times Michigan was actually TRAILING in games.

Links to just about all of posts in that thread

Who was the best team in 1997/Nebraska or Michigan/Discuss

There is also an 1100 character limit for posts.
I'll take your word for it...

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Winning at all in the shit hole known as Miss St is pretty impressive