• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who was the best team in 1997/Nebraska or Michigan/Discuss

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I'm suggesting without the game being played you have no way of suggesting something like that...especially when talking about #1 or #2 ranked teams split in both polls.

Common sense suggests it.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Common sense suggests it.
Hardly, since the better defense is on Michigan's side and more often than not the better defense beats the better offense.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched both teams play that year more than a few times.
Nebraska clown stomps Michigan if that game is played.
Like what they did to Florida in that Bowl Game.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hardly, since the better defense is on Michigan's side and more often than not the better defense beats the better offense.

I don't remember Nebraska having a bad defense. And you barely beat Wazzu in the Rose Bowl, got lucky the time ran out.

Speaking of the Rose Bowl, the reason the game didn't happen is because Michigan and the Big10 were more worried about playing in that game rather than playing the best team in the country, so even aside from the fact that you wouldn't have won the game - I have absolutely no sympathy for teams/conferences responsible for creating such splits to begin with. Nebraska would have played you, but Michigan instead went to the Rose Bowl. So it's your fault, not Nebraska's, that the game wasn't played.

antone112

who gives a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,290.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still talking about this? It was probably the right call, dropping us to #2 after the Mizzou game. Just as it was probably the right call, giving us half after we curb stomped the the #3 team. Both teams deserved it, as there was no system in place to separate them.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't remember Nebraska having a bad defense. And you barely beat Wazzu in the Rose Bowl, got lucky the time ran out.

Speaking of the Rose Bowl, the reason the game didn't happen is because Michigan and the Big10 were more worried about playing in that game rather than playing the best team in the country, so even aside from the fact that you wouldn't have won the game - I have absolutely no sympathy for teams/conferences responsible for creating such splits to begin with. Nebraska would have played you, but Michigan instead went to the Rose Bowl. So it's your fault, not Nebraska's, that the game wasn't played.
http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/archive/fbs/1997team.pdf

Michigan had the best defense with a good to average offense. Nebraska had a top 15 or so defense and the best offense.

There was no system in place for the two teams to play.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wazzou was ranked 7th in the country and had the #2 scoring offense averaging 40 ppg.

They score 16 points. Defense wins championships.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/archive/fbs/1997team.pdf

Michigan had the best defense with a good to average offense. Nebraska had a top 15 or so defense and the best offense.

Wow, you completely and utterly ignored any of the posts I made in this thread.

Michigan had the #1 total defense.
Nebraska had the #5 total defense.

Nebraska had the #1 total offense.
Michigan had the #44 total offense.

When a bunch of bad offensive teams play each other, it makes the defenses look good. When the Michigan Bowl opponents went 0-6 and the average loss was 30-10, four of those teams scoring 9 points or less, you have a hard time convincing me that those are offensive juggernauts. Playing bad offenses tends to skew the defensive numbers.

The Big Ten had four defenses ranked in the top 13, three of those defenses lost their bowl games.

#1 total defense Michigan gave up 398 yards against Washington State.
#7 total defense Iowa gave up 377 yards against Arizona State and 17 points, Iowa was almost shutout.
#8 total defense Ohio State gave up 394 yards and 31 points against Florida State.
#13 total defense Michigan State gave up 477 yards against Washington and 51 points.

Michigan Bowl Opponents offensive Juggernauts?

#46 total offense Michigan State 343 total yards against Washington #36 defense
#28 total offense Ohio State 315 total yards against Florida State #3 defense
#63 total offense Notre Dame gained 243 yards total offense against LSU #42 defense
#65 total offense Wisconsin gained 234 yards total offense against Georgia #40 defense
#17 total offense Iowa gained 209 total yards against Arizona State #34 defense
#19 total offense Penn State gained 139 total yards against Florida #12 defense

Iowa and Wisconsin were both almost shutout.

#5 total Defense Nebraska gave up 315 total yards against the #4 offense Tennessee but the game was 35-9 at the end of the 3rd quarter.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, you completely and utterly ignored any of the posts I made in this thread.

Michigan had the #1 total defense.
Nebraska had the #5 total defense.

Nebraska had the #1 total offense.
Michigan had the #44 total offense.

When a bunch of bad offensive teams play each other, it makes the defenses look good. When the Michigan Bowl opponents went 0-6 and the average loss was 30-10, four of those teams scoring 9 points or less, you have a hard time convincing me that those are offensive juggernauts. Playing bad offenses tends to skew the defensive numbers.

The Big Ten had four defenses ranked in the top 13, three of those defenses lost their bowl games.

#1 total defense Michigan gave up 398 yards against Washington State.
#7 total defense Iowa gave up 377 yards against Arizona State and 17 points, Iowa was almost shutout.
#8 total defense Ohio State gave up 394 yards and 31 points against Florida State.
#13 total defense Michigan State gave up 477 yards against Washington and 51 points.

Michigan Bowl Opponents offensive Juggernauts?

#46 total offense Michigan State 343 total yards against Washington #36 defense
#28 total offense Ohio State 315 total yards against Florida State #3 defense
#63 total offense Notre Dame gained 243 yards total offense against LSU #42 defense
#65 total offense Wisconsin gained 234 yards total offense against Georgia #40 defense
#17 total offense Iowa gained 209 total yards against Arizona State #34 defense
#19 total offense Penn State gained 139 total yards against Florida #12 defense

Iowa and Wisconsin were both almost shutout.

#5 total Defense Nebraska gave up 315 total yards against the #4 offense Tennessee but the game was 35-9 at the end of the 3rd quarter.
Yeah, and only one team needed a miracle play to stay undefeated.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Red_Alert @iruletheskool

I can no longer find that funny as youtube video about Pelini and the crap with the A&M game. do you guys remember what I am talking about? I think it was to yakity sax

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There was a system in place - but your conference decided where you played was more important than who you played, so your team didn't play Nebraska, Tennessee did.

#1 played #2 all the time when it wasn't a Pac or Big10 team involved.

HuskerCradle2Grave

Big Red in the Big Ten!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was a system in place - but your conference decided where you played was more important than who you played, so your team didn't play Nebraska, Tennessee did.

#1 played #2 all the time when it wasn't a Pac or Big10 team involved.
Quite simply, Michigan ducked Nebraska. They knew that their average #44 offense would get wrecked by the #5 D of Nebraska.

:trash:

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When a bunch of bad offensive teams play each other, it makes the defenses look good.

You mean like scoring 69 points against 4-8 Oklahoma or 77 points against 1-10 Iowa State. The Big 12, outside of Nebraska was a disaster. Next best was Kansas State and that was by default.

I don't know how I missed the 27-24 game against 5-6 Colorado at the end of the year for Nebraska. Did you know, UM played the same Colorado team and beat them 27-3. Can't wait to hear the excuses for this one.

Defense wins championships.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quite simply, Michigan ducked Nebraska. They knew that their average #44 offense would get wrecked by the #5 D of Nebraska.

Michigan 27 Colorado 3
Nebraska 27 Colorado 24

How did Michigan 44th ranked offense put up the same amount of points against our one common opponent as Nebraska's 1st ranked offense?

I know why UM's 1st ranked defense only gave up 3 points, while Nebraska 5th ranked D gave up 24.