• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who was the best team in 1997/Nebraska or Michigan/Discuss

HuskerCradle2Grave

Big Red in the Big Ten!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. Why would common opponents matter when comparing teams? Let's talk about how they did against teams only one of them played? :L
Well first, any given Saturday, right? Second, you got CU at the beginning of the season, Nebraska at the end and third, home games for Michigan, roadies for Nebraska.

Question. What is the combined ranking for Michigan's offense and defense? How about Nebraska?

I will spare you the math. Michigan 45, Nebraska 6. Better team... Which is it?:noidea:

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. Why would common opponents matter when comparing teams? Let's talk about how they did against teams only one of them played? :L
Because the transitive property has been proven to be complete BS time and time again when discussing comparable teams?

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You are one crazy one, the OP movie represents you perfectly. Where did Michigan play these teams? In Waco and Boulder or Ann Arbor?

I guess that is decided.

The #1 team will be decided the first two weeks of 1997.

I want to congratulate Penn State for being the 1997 NC Champion in the AP Poll. They cannot possibly be a bad team, after finishing 9-3 and losing by scores of 34-8, 49-14, and 21-6.

The fact remains in the Final Polls

Michigan's three final ranked opponents total five wins against the final ranked teams
#9 Washington State beat Washington and Arizona State. Washington State almost beats Michigan in the Rose Bowl
#12 Ohio State only beat Missouri. Ohio State loses by 17 in their bowl game.
#17 Penn State beat Ohio State and Purdue. Penn State blown out in the bowl game.

Michigan's final ranked opponents had a total of FIVE WINS against final ranked teams.

Michigan's final ranked opponents go 0-3 in bowl games.
Michigan's six regular season opponents that made it to bowl games finish 0-6. Average score of the six losses was 30-10. That is nearly 4 TDs by someone's math.:heh:

Nebraska opponents
#7 Kansas State beats Missouri, Texas A&M, and Syracuse(K State wins bowl game 35-18 over Syracuse)
#8 Tennesee beats Georgia, Auburn, and Southern Miss. (Gets blown out by Nebraska in bowl game)
#18 Washington beats Arizona State (Washington blows out Michigan State 51-23 in bowl game)
#21 Texas A&M beats Oklahoma State
#23 Missouri beats Oklahoma State

Nebraska's final ranked opponents had a total of NINE WINS against final ranked teams.

Nebraska's final ranked opponents go 2-3 in bowl games.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because the transitive property has been proven to be complete BS time and time again when discussing comparable teams?
When all you have is transitive properties -- what else would u like to compare? Stats they put up against teams UM didn't face? Does that make sense?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are one crazy one, the OP movie represents you perfectly. Where did Michigan play these teams? In Waco and Boulder or Ann Arbor?

I guess that is decided.

I want to congratulate Penn State for being the 1997 NC Champion in the AP Poll. They cannot possibly be a bad team, after finishing 9-3 and losing by scores of 34-8, 49-14, and 21-6.

Michigan's three final ranked opponents total five wins against the final ranked teams
#9 Washington State beat Washington and Arizona State. Washington State almost beats Michigan in the Rose Bowl
#17 Penn State beat Ohio State and Purdue. Penn State blown out in the bowl game.

Michigan's final ranked opponents had a total of FIVE WINS against final ranked teams.

Michigan's six regular season opponents that made it to bowl games finish 0-6. Average score of the six losses was 30-10. That is nearly 4 TDs by someone's math.:heh:

Nebraska opponents
#7 Kansas State beats Missouri, Texas A&M, and Syracuse(K State wins bowl game 35-18 over Syracuse)
#8 Tennesee beats Georgia, Auburn, and Southern Miss. (Gets blown out by Nebraska in bowl game)
#18 Washington beats Arizona State (Washington blows out Michigan State 51-23 in bowl game)

Nebraska's final ranked opponents had a total of NINE WINS against final ranked teams.

I would run from common opponents too, as it goes against everything you are saying.

If u want to call Baylor a wash because UM beat them by 3 points more than Nebraska. Feel free.

Colorado wasn't even close for UM. They held Colorado to their lowest yard total in 100 games with 224 yards. Nebraska gave up 362 passing yards alone to Colorado. Hell -- Colorado had the ball with a minute left and a chance to beat Nebraska.

And if u want to actually compare schedules. UM had the 32nd ranked schedule. Nebraska had the 41st ranked schedule.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I guess that is decided.

Nebraska opponents

Wanted to point out. The 4-8 Oklahoma team who was an absolute train wreck, beat Syracuse. The team you are bragging about KSU beating in their bowl game.

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would run from common opponents too, as it goes against everything you are saying.

If u want to call Baylor a wash because UM beat them by 3 points more than Nebraska. Feel free.

Colorado wasn't even close for UM. They held Colorado to their lowest yard total in 100 games with 224 yards. Nebraska gave up 362 passing yards alone to Colorado. Hell -- Colorado had the ball with a minute left and a chance to beat Nebraska.

And if u want to actually compare schedules. UM had the 32nd ranked schedule. Nebraska had the 41st ranked schedule.

Wanted to point out. The 4-8 Oklahoma team who was an absolute train wreck, beat Syracuse. The team you are bragging about KSU beating in their bowl game.

Don't know what you used for the SOS ranking, but here is one that combined SOS and team record(now, does it have ANY meaning is the next question)

1997 College Football Rankings, College Football Poll

1. Nebraska
2. Michigan

Sagarin

Final 1997 Sagarin Football Rankings (by team)

1. Nebraska
4. Michigan

Sagarin's All Time rankings, from a PRO NEBRASKA site

All-time Sagarin ratings -- HuskerMax™

1997 Nebraska #20
1997 Michigan not on the list.

Sorry I have no rebuttal for the Oklahoma beating the same team that Bowl Victorious Kansas State beat. BECAUSE NONE OF MICHIGAN OPPONENTS WON A BOWL GAME. The average blowout of the Michigan opponents that played in a bowl game was 30-10.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know what you used for the SOS ranking, but here is one that combined SOS and team record(now, does it have ANY meaning is the next question)

1997 College Football Rankings, College Football Poll

1. Nebraska
2. Michigan

Sagarin

Final 1997 Sagarin Football Rankings (by team)

1. Nebraska
4. Michigan

Sagarin's All Time rankings, from a PRO NEBRASKA site

All-time Sagarin ratings -- HuskerMax™

1997 Nebraska #20
1997 Michigan not on the list.

Sorry I have no rebuttal for the Oklahoma beating the same team that Bowl Victorious Kansas State beat. BECAUSE NONE OF MICHIGAN OPPONENTS WON A BOWL GAME. The average blowout of the Michigan opponents that played in a bowl game was 30-10.
Sports-reference gives u the break down for everything. SOS for UM 32nd. SOS for Nebraska 41st.

I went to look up all the team from the Big 12 Nebraska played and how they did in their bowl games. Kansas State is the only win and it was against a team who lost to Oklahoma. Mighty Missouri lost to perennial power Colorado State and A&M lost to UCLA. This is what you are bragging about?

Stick to the argument how common opponents don't matter and how Nebraska didn't try in those games. I guess OSU REALLY tried ON THE ROAD at Missouri, and pummeled them by 3 tds.

And how does Colorado throw for over 360 yards against such a dominant defense, yet only put 224 yards TOTAL against UM? I could go look the Baylor stats up too -- I'm sure it is just as ugly.

Defense wins championships.

HuskerCradle2Grave

Big Red in the Big Ten!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sports-reference gives u the break down for everything. SOS for UM 32nd. SOS for Nebraska 41st.

I went to look up all the team from the Big 12 Nebraska played and how they did in their bowl games. Kansas State is the only win and it was against a team who lost to Oklahoma. Mighty Missouri lost to perennial power Colorado State and A&M lost to UCLA. This is what you are bragging about?

Stick to the argument how common opponents don't matter and how Nebraska didn't try in those games. I guess OSU REALLY tried ON THE ROAD at Missouri, and pummeled them by 3 tds.

And how does Colorado throw for over 360 yards against such a dominant defense, yet only put 224 yards TOTAL against UM? I could go look the Baylor stats up too -- I'm sure it is just as ugly.

You are just like the cartoon. "Defense wins championships herpa derp." Nebraska had a Defense too. As well as an offense. Michigan, not so much. #44:pound:

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are just like the cartoon. "Defense wins championships herpa derp." Nebraska had a Defense too. As well as an offense. Michigan, not so much. #44:pound:

UM wasn't lucky enough to play a Big 12 schedule. If only there were a couple common opponents to compare the two teams? Oh wait, there is.

Continue with your excuses now.

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

August 24, 1997
Syracuse 34
Wisconsin 0

Wisconsin Ron Dayne 46 yards 13 carries

November 15, 1997
Michigan 26
Wisconsin 16

Wisconsin Ron Dayne was hurt DNP

I guess if a team that is an absolute train wreck can beat Syracuse, what does that make Wisconsin if they get shutout by Syracuse in the same season?

Forgot to mention, it has been established that allowing a team to score just three points in the first game of the season means #1, when a team holds the opposition to ZERO, I guess we have a new number 1.

Congrats to Syracuse on winning the 1997 National Championship.

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You mean this one?

1997 School Ratings | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

1. Florida State
2. Nebraska
3. Florida
4. Tennessee (lost to Nebraska in their bowl game 42-17)
5. Michigan

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
August 24, 1997
Syracuse 34
Wisconsin 0

Wisconsin Ron Dayne 46 yards 13 carries

November 15, 1997
Michigan 26
Wisconsin 16

Wisconsin Ron Dayne was hurt DNP

I guess if a team that is an absolute train wreck can beat Syracuse, what does that make Wisconsin if they get shutout by Syracuse in the same season?

Forgot to mention, it has been established that allowing a team to score just three points in the first game of the season means #1, when a team holds the opposition to ZERO, I guess we have a new number 1.

Congrats to Syracuse on winning the 1997 National Championship.

So what happens if you hold the team in week 2 to 3 points and that team scores 3 touchdowns against Nebraska? Does that not count either?

Seems that UM holding Colorado to their lowest offensive output (224 total yards) in almost 10 years and only 3 points, while Nebraska gave up 360+ yards passing alone to Colorado and Colorado had the ball with a minute left and a chance to win doesn't count because.......oh yeah, common opponents don't shed a very good light on Nebraska.

Now let's get back to talking abouto how great Nebraska was against the teams UM didn't play and how that makes them the best. :L

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For real, I think it's what they call the "Harbaugh Effect". That's when a team hires a coach that really hasn't done anything but manages to make their fans think they're the best ever which causes large amounts of mindless posts on sports forums to be made.

^ Science.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For real, I think it's what they call the "Harbaugh Effect". That's when a team hires a coach that really hasn't done anything but manages to make their fans think they're the best ever which causes large amounts of mindless posts on sports forums to be made.

^ Science.
What does Harbaugh have to do with 1997? And I can say without hesitation, UM hasn't been relevant in a long, long time. Harbaugh has helped put them back on the map and has people talking about them, but they've done nothing on the field yet.

Bamabino

No Limit Holdem Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UM wasn't lucky enough to play a Big 12 schedule. If only there were a couple common opponents to compare the two teams? Oh wait, there is.

Continue with your excuses now.

That's hilarious ThrustMe. In any given year the typical B1G schedule consists of 10 cupcakes and 2 Lil' Debbie's. Keep those zingers comin'.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does Harbaugh have to do with 1997? And I can say without hesitation, UM hasn't been relevant in a long, long time. Harbaugh has helped put them back on the map and has people talking about them, but they've done nothing on the field yet.

Something along the lines of if it wasn't for Harbaugh there might be one Michigan fan actually in this discussion right now