• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE BIG 10 THREAD

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Been tryin' to tell some upset Nebraska peeps that losing the Black Friday Iowa game was for good reason to the Big 10. More than one actually.

1) Nebraska/Iowa is not a rivalry any more than Nebraska/Colorado was. They were both something being forced by the media. Nebraska's rival was Oklahoma and that ended when the Big 12 split North/South and the two only met two years on/two years off. Nebraska has no 'rival'. End of subject.

2) This change pitting Iowa/Wisconsin as their last game of the Big 10 West regular season was done to accommodate the new TV contract. By recent appearances and future expectations, they've been the better two teams in that division, therefore a better game for tv ratings. No where near the draw of Ohio St/Michigan, but most likely (in the near term) to have some suspense on who gets to go to the CCG, and a better draw than Iowa/Nebraska. I wouldn't at all be surprised if the tv companies suggested the change as a stipulation to the new contract.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been tryin' to tell some upset Nebraska peeps that losing the Black Friday Iowa game was for good reason to the Big 10. More than one actually.

1) Nebraska/Iowa is not a rivalry any more than Nebraska/Colorado was. They were both something being forced by the media. Nebraska's rival was Oklahoma and that ended when the Big 12 split North/South and the two only met two years on/two years off. Nebraska has no 'rival'. End of subject.

2) This change pitting Iowa/Wisconsin as their last game of the Big 10 West regular season was done to accommodate the new TV contract. By recent appearances and future expectations, they've been the better two teams in that division, therefore a better game for tv ratings. No where near the draw of Ohio St/Michigan, but most likely (in the near term) to have some suspense on who gets to go to the CCG, and a better draw than Iowa/Nebraska. I wouldn't at all be surprised if the tv companies suggested the change as a stipulation to the new contract.

1) My obsession with the Iowa-Nebraska rivalry is mostly based on me going to York College. I know a lot of Husker fans. So, I have experienced some "rivalry" feel to it, even before Nebraska joined the B1G.

2) I do agree that the media was trying too hard to get this rivalry going, but it is more than that. The game has mattered between the two programs 4 of the 6 years Nebraska has been in the B1G. In the four years where it mattered, the winner of the game would have (and did) get the higher spot. They either ended up tying and winner got the upper spot or they had the same B1G record going in. The two years where it didn't matter, one team went to the CCG and the other had < .500 record. So, the games did matter.

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they want ratings I would think that Wisconsin/Nebraska would be the best bet for the final weekend in most years.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they want ratings I would think that Wisconsin/Nebraska would be the best bet for the final weekend in most years.

15 years of data says otherwise.
The odds of a Top 10 match-up on the final week of the regular season in the West are clearly Iowa/Wisconsin. It's an economic decision and I give the front offices credit for going to that extent. Hence the new tv contracts being as lucrative as they are.
Bravo, Delaney and company on negotiating and making the big sale up against the cord cutting rhetoric.

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But isn't Nebraska a bigger national name than Iowa? It's not solely about rankings.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But isn't Nebraska a bigger national name than Iowa? It's not solely about rankings.
Its more about making the last game pick the CCG participants.... Nebraska hasnt done squat (if you can even call it squat) since year 1 in the B1G been a bit of a bumpy downhill roll since then. We'll see how the coming years are, but for now when it comes to keeping people on the edge of their seat til the very last game Wisky Iowa makes more sense. It is what it is. Even if you feel like Wisconsin/Nebraska is a more natural rivalry than Iowa Wisconsin or Iowa Nebraska

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well they are/were amongst older folks. That is why the Big 10 brought them in. I think that is fading among older folks and is even non-existent among those younger than 30 or so.
Nebraska hasn't upheld their part of the bargain regarding national name-brand. Over the last 15 years they've become more (post 1962) Minnesota. If that trend continues then Delany and company made the right choice.
Statistics said Iowa/Wisconsin was the best avenue for revenue.
Whether that pans out has yet to be seen, but they had to go with what was in front of them regarding risk.
Kind of like a FICO credit score, if you will.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Nebraska came into the league, the front office of the B1G tried to male Wisky and Nebraska rivals. Now they will try to make Iowa/Wisky rivals. Total bullshit. Playing for Paul Bunyan's Axe against Minnesota is Wisconsin's rivalry game. This is all about getting a more meaningful game at the end of the next few seasons. It will change again if Iowa falters

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top 10 finishes Big 10 West in the last 15 years.

Iowa - 5
Wisconsin - 4
Nebraska - ZERO
Minnesota - ZERO
Northwestern - ZERO
Illinois - ZERO
Purdue - ZERO

Pretty clear when making odds on which two teams should be matched up in the potential to give excitement to the final weekend of the regular season and who gets to represent the West in the CCG. That's what viewers want. Viewers = $$$$

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gawd that was painful to type out. However, I'm a realist fan and love the entire game. You'd never see the university or local media serve sugar-free Kool-aid like that. It doesn't sell tickets, t-shirts, or hats.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do like they are looking at recent history for the schedule more than the historical relevance of the teams or rivalries. I do think Iowa's rivalries with Nebraska, Minnesota, and Wisconsin are all natural rivalries.

Nebraska-Iowa started out being pushed too much, but the games have mattered to the B1G West standing. So, it has been more than pushed rivalry.

Wisconsin-Iowa has a natural feel due to the Hayden Fry connection. Wisconsin's head coach from 1990-2012 started their college coaching careers at Iowa. Bielema played at Iowa. I also think Nebraska being Alvarez's alma mater has something to do with that rivalry. I think it is more to do with the expectations of both programs. But I think Iowa's rivalry with Wisconsin is really only 15 years old, when Ferentz started having winning records.

Iowa-Minnesota has become relevant only on historic. It really has only meant a pig in recent years. It is kind of what it was always about too. This is that "old person" rivalry.

Iowa-ISU is an irrelevant rivalry outside the state of Iowa. In reality, it is irrelevant in Iowa as well. It is only about bragging rights among fans that are from the same state. It really is not historic because there were decades they didn't face.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do like they are looking at recent history for the schedule more than the historical relevance of the teams or rivalries. I do think Iowa's rivalries with Nebraska, Minnesota, and Wisconsin are all natural rivalries.

Nebraska-Iowa started out being pushed too much, but the games have mattered to the B1G West standing. So, it has been more than pushed rivalry.

Wisconsin-Iowa has a natural feel due to the Hayden Fry connection. Wisconsin's head coach from 1990-2012 started their college coaching careers at Iowa. Bielema played at Iowa. I also think Nebraska being Alvarez's alma mater has something to do with that rivalry. I think it is more to do with the expectations of both programs. But I think Iowa's rivalry with Wisconsin is really only 15 years old, when Ferentz started having winning records.

Iowa-Minnesota has become relevant only on historic. It really has only meant a pig in recent years. It is kind of what it was always about too. This is that "old person" rivalry.

Iowa-ISU is an irrelevant rivalry outside the state of Iowa. In reality, it is irrelevant in Iowa as well. It is only about bragging rights among fans that are from the same state. It really is not historic because there were decades they didn't face.
I havent liked iowa for a long long long time, mostly because them sorry sacks dont know how to drive, with just about every speed limit in iowa 5-10 mph lower than here and them not being able to read street signs. Seeing how we live on the border and council tucky is just acros the river. UGH As far as Football goes never seen Iowa as a rivalry. Reminds me more of Missery. That is me though :D

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it is an old people thing, but he only game I cared for Nebraska is when they played Oklahoma.

Gopherfan84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Nebraska came into the league, the front office of the B1G tried to male Wisky and Nebraska rivals. Now they will try to make Iowa/Wisky rivals. Total bullshit. Playing for Paul Bunyan's Axe against Minnesota is Wisconsin's rivalry game. This is all about getting a more meaningful game at the end of the next few seasons. It will change again WHEN Iowa falters

:fify:

allup8679

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,125.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tenor.gif

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BIG Rankings Week 3

1.) PSU
2.) Wisconsin
3.) Ohio St.
4.) Michigan
5.) Maryland
6.) Iowa
7.) Minnesota
8.) Purdue
9.) MSU
10.) Indiana
11.) Nebraska
12.) Rutgers
13.) Illinois

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next week the Wolverines travel to West Lafayette....

....watch out for those trains, Wolvies!

Boiler%20Logo.gif