• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE BIG 10 THREAD

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wisky is set up nicely this year. A very tough opener against Bama although after that their toughest game will probably be @ Nebraska. The Badgers don't face the Buckeyes, Spartans or Nittany Lions this year.
They fucked up the divisions. The best 3 or 4 programs are all in the east.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Can't really argue w/ that. I'm just glad the conference changed the names of the divisions. Was never a fan of that Leaders & Legends name.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The B1G was pretty well screwed. Michigan and Ohio State were not going to give up playing the last week of the season, and nobody wants to see them play consecutive weeks, so they have to be in the same division. The B1G also doesn't want to have locked cross division games because it increases the time between games with other division, so you have to keep Michigan and Michigan State in the same division. That leaves very little options in the way of divisions.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
East and West was probably the best compromise given the circumstances. If the rumors end up being true and they do add Oklahoma and Kansas that will help even it out a bit.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just got tickets to NW/Stanford for Saturday. 11th row/50 yd line for 50 bucks. pretty pumped and wont miss much action for the rest of the opening wkend

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
VT will be wearing stickers on their helmets for the Ohio State game to recognize in memory of the two victims shot during live broadcast. I think the Buckeyes should do something similar. It would be a classy move. Kudos to VT.
CNr3a4KWUAArXCx.png

Oney

Hoopla Cash
$ 757.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we got any bold predictions out of the B1G? I have a few:

I think PSU makes a step up in the W-L to 10-2 regular season. More a function of schedule than really getting better. Everyone will be slobbering on Franklin, still think he's overrated as a coach.

Wisky can get 10 or 11 wins. I don't know about Nebraska, not expecting much really aside from the 8-9 games they've been winning.

Michigan gets 8 wins, 1 loss ooc and 3 in conference.

Purdue gets to a bowl this year. Illinois back in the basement after firing Beckman (he sucked anyways).

Also, I think Illinois fabbed some of the stuff on him just so they didn't have to pay the contract out.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My god, Iowa has an EASY schedule.

From the east they get Maryland and Indiana. No Ohio State, no Michigan State, no Michigan, and no Penn State.

Iowa has to go 9-3 with that easy schedule.

Iowa and Wisconsin have easy schedules.

Wisconsin only has Nebraska and Minny from the B1G and then of course Alabama. They go easily go 10-2 also.

This is the year the B1G needs to stand out, a lot of teams have easier schedules and they need to take advantage.

Ohio St 12-0
Michigan St 11-1 (if they can beat Oregon, very possible)
Wisconsin 10-2
Penn St 10-2
Nebraska 10-2 or 9-3 (If they can go 2-2 BYU, Miami, Wisconsin, MSU)
Iowa 9-3

Last edited:

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we got any bold predictions out of the B1G? I have a few:

I think PSU makes a step up in the W-L to 10-2 regular season. More a function of schedule than really getting better. Everyone will be slobbering on Franklin, still think he's overrated as a coach.

Wisky can get 10 or 11 wins. I don't know about Nebraska, not expecting much really aside from the 8-9 games they've been winning.

Michigan gets 8 wins, 1 loss ooc and 3 in conference.

Purdue gets to a bowl this year. Illinois back in the basement after firing Beckman (he sucked anyways).

Also, I think Illinois fabbed some of the stuff on him just so they didn't have to pay the contract out.

Another point. Ohio St's schedule isnt too strong this year as well, but it wont matter if they go undefeated. It would be good to see them play a couple of undefeated teams (Penn St and Michigan St). If Michigan St can beat Oregon, it is definitely possible and will make that schedule look a little tougher for sure. Also if Virginia Tech can have a good year, they only play Georgia Tech and Miami, they dont have FSU or Clemson.

Oney

Hoopla Cash
$ 757.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another point. Ohio St's schedule isnt too strong this year as well, but it wont matter if they go undefeated. It would be good to see them play a couple of undefeated teams (Penn St and Michigan St). If Michigan St can beat Oregon, it is definitely possible and will make that schedule look a little tougher for sure. Also if Virginia Tech can have a good year, they only play Georgia Tech and Miami, they dont have FSU or Clemson.

I'm not sure Ohio State can afford a misstep, even if it's to MSU. VT should be better, hopefully Minnesota can get ranked as well. I think MSU beats Oregon, so should be a big game under the lights in late November. Maybe mich can get ranked too, 8-3 should be good enough going into the Game.

I really hope Minny beats the pants off TCU. Just run it down their throats and eat the clock up on them.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basically Illinois is a dumpsterfire:

The place is a total mess, from the top on down, a fetid heap of skullduggery and incompetence befitting a state run right into the ground along the same principles. Now it must attempt to fix a football program that isn’t anywhere near the sleeping giant some contend it is, all while any worthwhile candidates might be advised to run far, far away, as fast as their loafers will take them.
It’s time to stop pretending that there is untapped greatness bubbling just below the surface in Champaign. It’s time to put to rest the myth that Illinois football has everything it needs to be a Big Ten champion-caliber program, when the reality is it maybe has enough to be regularly decent.

This is a program boasting seven winning seasons in the last quarter-century. The cure, for the eternal optimists, is simply recruiting better, to mine the troves of in-state talent. That in-state talent amounts to 11 top-100 prospects in the last four recruiting classes, total, per Rivals.com rankings. There is one—one—top-100 player from Illinois in the Class of 2016. (And Darien’s Josh King is committed to Michigan State.) Put another way by a former Chicago Tribune colleague of mine, Joel Boyd: The state of Illinois has produced 11 composite four- or five-star prospects in the classes of 2015 and 2016. Louisiana, a state with one-third the population of Illinois, has 32.
Yes, this is the cool thing about Illinois, that a student-athlete can arrive on campus, spend years having a cheese grater run across his or her spirit and build up enough resistance to shrug off the many failures of the adults in charge. Good for the school that it ran out a guy as allegedly selfish and careless as Beckman, not that it had much choice with an investigation that would be public record at some point. Beckman, for his part, issued a statement to multiple media outlets that disputed Thomas’s findings while adding that he “will vigorously defend both my reputation and my legal rights.” In other words, Beckman is pursuing the buyout money Illinois doesn’t think it has to pay him, which only confirms that everyone involved deserves each other.

After Beckman, Illinois needs to clean house in AD

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1-2 after the first 3 games...

Predictions for today?

Stanford v Northwestern
Ill St v Iowa