• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Bears 2024 Draft Thread

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the draft just a little over a month away and the current free agency having slowed down to a trickle, now's as good a time as any to start our official '24 draft thread. We all know by now, the Bears have the #1 and #9 picks in the draft. When the '23 season was still ongoing, the raging question was whether the Bears were going to keep the 1st pick or trade it. Since the Fields trade, it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that we're keeping the pick and using it on Caleb Williams, making the new burning question being whether the Bears are going to keep the 9th pick or trade it. Here's a nice opening salvo courtesy of CBS Sports to get the ball rolling:

Not just one, but two teams - the Vikes and the Broncos - moving up to grab QBs; the Broncos trading with us at 9. They don't say what we get in return, but it definitely can't include a 2nd round pick because Denver doesn't have one. Maybe their 3rd round and one of their three 5th rounders.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jared Verse for our 9th pick?

Many consider Verse, 23, the top defensive end in his draft class, though Alabama’s Dallas Turner and UCLA’s Laiatu Latu would argue otherwise. ESPN’s Mel Kiper slotted Verse at No. 9 for the Bears this week, saying, “He has the complete set of tools to be a devastating pass rusher at the next level if he can put everything together.”

“My first year here, my biggest issue was playing the run, and this past season I made the biggest leap I could’ve made and became a great run defender,” Verse said recently. “This last season was about redefining things and fine-tuning things.”

Flus values an aggressive pass rusher, but who also plays the run well. Verse fits this criteria. He seems to be rising in recent draft mocks, altho I've only seen few with him in the top 10. If Poles trades back on #9, but not too far back, this kid could very well be in play for our 2nd pick.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, I no sooner post the above, then I come across this mock from NBC Sports Chicago:

A fair swap, giving up 9 to the Raiders for 13, 77, and 148. Plus, unlike many wacky suggested trades, this one makes sense from the Raiders standpoint, assuming McCarthy is still on the board. But also kinda tough passing on Dallas Turner, who remains available at #9.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like the first three picks of this mock a lot:

Think the reason I like it tho is because I'm doubtful Alt or especially Brice will be there at those respective spots in the draft, so what a pleasant surprise if they would be. I don't know if Poles will do any trade backs to garner more picks, I hope he does. But assuming he stands pat with just these four, there's no way he'll skip taking a WR with one of them, in this case #122.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw that Mile Tomlin says there will be a competition between Fields and Wilson. Also saw Wilson is now pushing for an extension (maybe because he doesnt see this going well for him).

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poles sends a clear message in this Sun-Times article:

“I don’t think there’s a better receiver in the league that can be better for a young quarterback in terms of understanding the NFL, timing, space, reading defenses,” Poles said at the league's annual meeting. “So I think that’s a great addition.”

For those small rumblings that the Bears might sign Ryan Tannehill, therefore not needing to take a QB with the very first pick, maybe sit the new QB for a year or so.....I think the above squashes that theory. There's a pretty good reason Poles traded for Allen and his name is Caleb Williams.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Further reinforcement as to why the #9 pick has become without question the more intriguing of our two 1st rounders:

"I like the numbers," Poles said Monday at the annual NFL league meetings in Orlando about the options at No. 9. "I talked about it when I first got here, but we have different tiers on our draft board.

"That will kinda play out," Poles said about trading back. "We’ll see what the numbers look like and that’ll kinda dictate how far we can move back if we decide to do that."

Gonna be fun to see how this all plays out.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Further reinforcement as to why the #9 pick has become without question the more intriguing of our two 1st rounders:

"I like the numbers," Poles said Monday at the annual NFL league meetings in Orlando about the options at No. 9. "I talked about it when I first got here, but we have different tiers on our draft board.

"That will kinda play out," Poles said about trading back. "We’ll see what the numbers look like and that’ll kinda dictate how far we can move back if we decide to do that."

Gonna be fun to see how this all plays out.
I still am not a huge fan of CW starting week 1 of his rookie season. That being said - this is the first time I have ever felt like we are truly doing/have done everything we can to set up a young QB for success.

This side of the millennium - it's been anything besides that.

2003 - Draft Rex in the 1st round. We have a first year/defensive minded HC, an OC with zero experience at the role, a very bad roster, and zero offensive talent to speak of.

2009 - Mortgage our future for a young/prime Jay Cutler. We have one of the worst Olines in football, our best WR on the team is something called an "Aromashodu", and Ron Turner pretty much stunk.

2017 - Draft Mitch in the 1st Round. Our #1 WR entering the season was Cam Meredith (who tore his ACL in pre-season - before it became... Tre McBride/Tanner Gentry). John Fox was once a solid HC, but completely antiquated by that time. Not to mention, Mitch was drafted with us knowing Fox was on his way out. Pace wasn't even done fixing Emery's mess yet and getting his guys/his coach in. The best thing you could say about that team was "Jordan Howard is having a good rookie year" and "the D has a few players emerging".

2021 - Draft Fields in the 1st round. Once again, a young QB coming into a situation with a soon to be doomed HC/front office. Plays a meaningless season learning a system that he likely wished he never had been in. Robinson is old, line stinks, D is ravaged by injuries, and the Nagy era ends with a thud. Come 2022 we're starting all over with a new GM/HC/regime.

Is it possible? Are we really doing it right this time? 3rd year HC. Experienced OC with a track record. A defense that ranked towards the top of the league in most everything the 2nd half of the season. A bolstered O-line. Weapons each way you look.

Maybe. Just maybe. We have a GM who knows what he's doing? I still won't get my hopes too far up until I see the kid show me something worthwhile, but man... I would be lying if I said I'm not feeling optimistic.

Last year, after that KC loss to drop to 0-3? And the Denver debacle that followed? I thought I would never feel like this again.

I'll give the Bears that much. They have peaked the living shit out of my curiosity.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So here's another mock from CBS Sports, but with a different twist in trading our 9th:

Now it's the Cardinals trading UP for our pick, but only after previously trading BACK their 4th pick. And just like their other mock, we still end up with Jared Verse at #12. But look who we leave for them at #9, hmmmm..........

Just gotta love these scenarios!!

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's my initial BPA list for the 9th pick, subject to change, and based on Poles not trading back. One or more of these blue chippers will be there for the taking, and I'd be happy as a fly on stink if Poles chooses any of them. I've eliminated all QBs plus MHJ, as I expect them to be off the board by #9, including Williams who of course will be our first pick.

1a. Rome Odunze, WR
1b. Malik Nabers, WR
3. Joe Alt, OT
4a. Dallas Turner, DE/Edge
4b. Jared Verse, DE/Edge
6. Olu Fashanu, OT

Now notice I said BPA, as in best player available, not the other BPA, as in best position available. If I was going by the latter, then Turner or Verse would be at the top, because this is arguably our top positional need when reviewing our starting 22. But we all know Poles operates in the same manner, he'll take whoever is tops on his list when the Bears are on the clock, position be damned. Have to admit, if I was being truly honest with my BPA ranking, I'd probably have Taliese Fuaga ahead of Fashanu. The man's a beast, but he's strictly a RT, and we're already set with Darnell Wright at this spot.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes there are sensible mocks. Sometimes there are senseless mocks. This one falls into the latter category:

So Poles is going to trade UP, surrendering some of what little draft capital we have this year (altho the article doesn't indicate what exactly he'd have to give up) to take Rome Odunze at #6, leaving the Giants to take Malik Nabers at 9????? And Jared Verse is taken 28th - say what?

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes there are sensible mocks. Sometimes there are senseless mocks. This one falls into the latter category:

So Poles is going to trade UP, surrendering some of what little draft capital we have this year (altho the article doesn't indicate what exactly he'd have to give up) to take Rome Odunze at #6, leaving the Giants to take Malik Nabers at 9????? And Jared Verse is taken 28th - say what?
I'm guessing the writer didn't catch Malik's pro day results prior to posting the article. If he had, he might very well have reversed the names, with us taking Nabers at 6 and Odunze going to the Giants at 9.

Nabers killed it stats-wise at his pro day this afternoon, running a 4.35 40, a 42in vertical leap, and a 10'9 broad jump. I'm still looking for some clips with him running routes, catching the ball, etc. But just those numbers alone may have cemented his ranking ahead of Odunze. And who knows, with MHJ choosing to skip both the combine and his pro day, not sure I'd be shocked if Nabers is the first WR off the board.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quality over quantity. That appears to be the overall theme for this year's draft. Poles, who loves trading picks, might be set on keeping his 9th pick and taking the best blue chipper available. The roster is already in a much better place than it was when he took over as GM. It can still use bolstering, no questioning this. And I still believe he won't be able to resist doing some sort of trading, maybe starting with the 75th pick. But we shouldn't be surprised if he sits at 9.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, what's going on here?

The first prediction is MHJ at #9? I know he's been slipping a touch lately in part due to his not working out in the combine or pro day, but moving down to 9th? That's insane. The rest of the predictions for the round are pretty much what we'd expect - going almost equal parts WR/DE/OT, with the usual names. Odunze and Verse are receiving the lion's share. And one little sneaky for Brock Bowers!!!

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, what's going on here?

The first prediction is MHJ at #9? I know he's been slipping a touch lately in part due to his not working out in the combine or pro day, but moving down to 9th? That's insane. The rest of the predictions for the round are pretty much what we'd expect - going almost equal parts WR/DE/OT, with the usual names. Odunze and Verse are receiving the lion's share. And one little sneaky for Brock Bowers!!!
MHJ isn't slipping anywhere, IMO. This is the time of year when the draft talk has been milked dry. The big wave of free agency is over. There's nothing to talk about in NFL media except for regurgitating the same shit. So, they find ANYTHING to create a narrative/conflict to discuss.

Any Bears fan having it in their head that MHJ is falling to #9 for us - is completely fooling themselves.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MHJ isn't slipping anywhere, IMO. This is the time of year when the draft talk has been milked dry. The big wave of free agency is over. There's nothing to talk about in NFL media except for regurgitating the same shit. So, they find ANYTHING to create a narrative/conflict to discuss.

Any Bears fan having it in their head that MHJ is falling to #9 for us - is completely fooling themselves.
Ya,MHJ is gonna be the first wr off the board.......

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So does it boil down to either WR or DE/Edge?

If Odunze is there, the Bears should run the card in, but if all three of those elite WR prospects are gone, the best bet for Chicago might just be to trade down, grab the edge they need in the middle of round one, and find their WR3 in round 2 with the additional pick they will add.

I'd love it for such a scenario, at least from the trade back standpoint. But is there a team with a mid 1st round pick willing to swap for the 9th and in the process surrender their 2nd round? That part is difficult to buy. The best hope for this would be one of the top four QBs still available when it's our turn at 9. I could see a bit of a mini bidding war for that, which could result in us nailing a 2nd in the trade.

BTW, I'm leaning more and more toward keeping the 9th, but only if one of these four players are still on the board:

Odunze
Nabers
Alt
Turner

And it's quite possible that all four could be gone by then. If so, I'm for trading back. There will still be a ton-o-talent in the teens, regardless of position.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's one from WCG taking the position that come hell or high water, Poles is trading back on #9:

Three comments on this.
1. Not sure if Jared Verse will still be on the board at 17. He's pretty much the consensus #2 DE/Edge in the draft and the top rated 4-3. Granted, this is an offense-heavy draft, but expecting one of the top DEs to last this long might be wishful thinking.
2. OTOH, it would be nice to see Poles land a 2nd rounder out of such a trade. No matter what, there will be some type of high quality players available at 17, and now we also have one at 48, plus a 5th rounder tossed in as well.
3. I'd be surprised, yet more than satisfied if center Sedrick Van Pran was still there for the taking at 75. Back when the college season was coming to a close, many of those earlier mocks had this guy as the top rated center.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the Texans are gonna be all-in by adding another wr in trading for Diggs......

Im actually 100% in on the best wr or Bowers at 9 now.....

CDub plays close to what Stroud did last season with the team we have set up for him,next season is gonna be even better.........
We will have a nice offense built around him to ladt awhile.....maybe even the best offense we ever had.....especially at wr.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just can't see the Bears staying at 9. Especially if one of the first round type qb's are still undrafted.