• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Alex Smith Trade

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So basically the Chiefs won because are draft picks were terrible . Alex meanwhile turned the Chiefs into a respectable franchise again with multiple postseason appearances. We on the other hand went from Super Bowl to laughing stock of the league.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So basically the Chiefs won because are draft picks were terrible . Alex meanwhile turned the Chiefs into a respectable franchise again with multiple postseason appearances. We on the other hand went from Super Bowl to laughing stock of the league.
That's the problem, always. What did we do with our picks? Let's face it, we missed WAY too much in rd 2 and 3. The trades up for Pettis and J.Williams really hurt us (while we passed on A.Kamara, etc.). Look at S.Thomas. Even though that wasn't a part of teh Smith trade, we still missed on him by a mile. Imagine how much better we'd have been with Lattimore....smh.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wasn't Alex that turned the Chiefs into that. It was Andy Reid that did that. Look at all the talent the Chiefs acquired on offense over the years. I like Alex but he isn't that level of QB. Just look at how their offense blew up under Mahones. The 49ers issues post Alex Smith went way beyond Alex/Kap. Baalke decimated the roster with bad draft picks.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the problem, always. What did we do with our picks? Let's face it, we missed WAY too much in rd 2 and 3. The trades up for Pettis and J.Williams really hurt us (while we passed on A.Kamara, etc.). Look at S.Thomas. Even though that wasn't a part of teh Smith trade, we still missed on him by a mile. Imagine how much better we'd have been with Lattimore....smh.
Don't forget Reuben Foster.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wasn't Alex that turned the Chiefs into that. It was Andy Reid that did that. Look at all the talent the Chiefs acquired on offense over the years. I like Alex but he isn't that level of QB. Just look at how their offense blew up under Mahones. The 49ers issues post Alex Smith went way beyond Alex/Kap. Baalke decimated the roster with bad draft picks.

I give most credit to Andy Reid and I do think their talent was too good for a first pick in the draft team, but Alex helped a lot of the transition in many ways on both sides - coming in from SF and on his way out of KC. Obviously, Mahomes is on another level, but there were some QBs who would not done as well as Smith did under Andy Reid. I am well aware of his sinking and dunking and conservat play and I know Tyreek and Kelce are the reasons, but Smith led the league in deep passes in 2017, protected the ball to lead in QB rating, and helped in time of possession, few short fields, leads to allow the D to be aggressive, and had great Halloween costumes. Plus, with his injury comeback and his labrador and his hot wife and just kidding, I just pretending it was the old days when he was here. :p By the way, I don’t even know if he has a dog; just thought of a plain average dog. Maybe should have said retriever.

Last edited:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yes, first you have to hit on your draft pick, the position he plays follows. An perenial All-Pro Punter beats a busted DT pick.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, first you have to hit on your draft pick, the position he plays follows. An perenial All-Pro Punter beats a busted DT pick.
On the one hand, I get moving Buckner if we weren't going ot pay him at a nearly Aaron Donald-level. On the other hand, if you're gonna pick a DT with the pick you got for him, you better hit on it. The whole idea was that we'd be able to resign more players by moving Buckner, but when one of those players is an almost always disappointing player like Armstead...

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
On the one hand, I get moving Buckner if we weren't going ot pay him at a nearly Aaron Donald-level. On the other hand, if you're gonna pick a DT with the pick you got for him, you better hit on it. The whole idea was that we'd be able to resign more players by moving Buckner, but when one of those players is an almost always disappointing player like Armstead...
Yes, whether it was a DT, OT, CB, or whatever, you have to hit on that player.

At the 12th spot now, the player has to pan out to a 12th pick even if not one of the spots we hope for. I'd ratter have an OG than pans out over a bust CB or bust Edge.

A team could have the #1 overall pick, but you still need to draft the right player.