• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The ACC Thread

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
State and Wake Basketball do the Darndest things would be a hit TV show.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's was just crazy. I didn't see this game and had no clue it was close much less went to OT. I can't recall a SU player dropping 41 but I'm sure it's happened at some point.

Check this out too ... how a team can screw up an rpi. Below are the current rankings in the acc and each teams rpi:

N. Carolina 5
Virginia 14
Florida St. 13
Louisville 4
Notre Dame 26
Syracuse 102
Duke 17
Va. Tech 41
Georgia Tech 63
Miami (Fla.) 66
Wake Forest 29
Clemson 40
NC State 67
Boston College 192
Pittsburgh 56

I understand why SU has a crap RPI....but computer rankings do not take into consideration things like how teams develop or grow together or apart throughout the year or a long stretch where a key player is missing.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's was just crazy. I didn't see this game and had no clue it was close much less went to OT. I can't recall a SU player dropping 41 but I'm sure it's happened at some point.

Check this out too ... how a team can screw up an rpi. Below are the current rankings in the acc and each teams rpi:

N. Carolina 5
Virginia 14
Florida St. 13
Louisville 4
Notre Dame 26
Syracuse 102
Duke 17
Va. Tech 41
Georgia Tech 63
Miami (Fla.) 66
Wake Forest 29
Clemson 40
NC State 67
Boston College 192
Pittsburgh 56

I understand why SU has a crap RPI....but computer rankings do not take into consideration things like how teams develop or grow together or apart throughout the year or a long stretch where a key player is missing.

Or in Xavier's (RPI-15) and Creighton's(RPI-12) cases when they lose a key player. Oh, and Gillon had 43 points at NCSU.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or in Xavier's (RPI-15) and Creighton's(RPI-12) cases when they lose a key player. Oh, and Gillon had 43 points at NCSU.

41 / 43 ... The guy was unconscious. All night long he was the smallest guy on the floor. How does that happen?

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

N. Carolina 5
Virginia 14
Florida St. 13
Louisville 4
Notre Dame 26
Syracuse 102
Duke 17
Va. Tech 41
Georgia Tech 63
Miami (Fla.) 66
Wake Forest 29
Clemson 40
NC State 67
Boston College 192
Pittsburgh 56

That 102 number didn't take into account the win last night. Syracuse's RPI # now sits at 80. Syracuse performed pretty awful OOC. The neutral court loss to Uconn and the home loss to St. John's is what's killing Syracuse's RPI #. Had they won both of those games they'd have a top 50 RPI. I think if they can go 3-0 in their next 3 games, they'll start entering into the bubble conversation. If they can finish 6-2 in their last 8, I think they'll get in if they can avoid losing their first game in the ACCT.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That 102 number didn't take into account the win last night. Syracuse's RPI # now sits at 80. Syracuse performed pretty awful OOC. The neutral court loss to Uconn and the home loss to St. John's is what's killing Syracuse's RPI #. Had they won both of those games they'd have a top 50 RPI. I think if they can go 3-0 in their next 3 games, they'll start entering into the bubble conversation. If they can finish 6-2 in their last 8, I think they'll get in if they can avoid losing their first game in the ACCT.

Shit...it's not only the SU's OOC but loses early in ACC play like to BC is a crusher. But that SU team is not the same as today's SU team so the data will forever be skewed.

The RPI and other computer models will never get over the losses you wrote of. And any team that loses to SU will suffer in their rpi or equivalent because of it.

I'm not arguing that the rpi isn't an ok guide. But it's not close to accurate for many reasons. And SU is screwing it up pretty bad today.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shit...it's not only the SU's OOC but loses early in ACC play like to BC is a crusher. But that SU team is not the same as today's SU team so the data will forever be skewed.

The RPI and other computer models will never get over the losses you wrote of. And any team that loses to SU will suffer in their rpi or equivalent because of it.

I'm not arguing that the rpi isn't an ok guide. But it's not close to accurate for many reasons. And SU is screwing it up pretty bad today.

Oh I totally agree, the Cuse team that played St. John's isn't the Cuse team that played last night @ NC State. But they still count on the resume. Cuse was rated 59th in the Massey Composite(which takes into account every computer metric that exists), when it last updated which was Sunday night. I honestly think that was about right heading into the week. Those metrics tend to not fluctuate as much as the RPI does, so my guess is, if they finish something like 5-3 their RPI number, and the other computer based metrics will be around the same, and my guess would be anywhere from 50-55. So they'd still be squarely on the bubble using either RPI or the other computer based metrics.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I totally agree, the Cuse team that played St. John's isn't the Cuse team that played last night @ NC State. But they still count on the resume. Cuse was rated 59th in the Massey Composite(which takes into account every computer metric that exists), when it last updated which was Sunday night. I honestly think that was about right heading into the week. Those metrics tend to not fluctuate as much as the RPI does, so my guess is, if they finish something like 5-3 their RPI number, and the other computer based metrics will be around the same, and my guess would be anywhere from 50-55. So they'd still be squarely on the bubble using either RPI or the other computer based metrics.

The more you know......I need to look at the Massey Composite and read up there. Thanks.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more you know......I need to look at the Massey Composite and read up there. Thanks.

I do follow this stuff all pretty closely, as it relates to seeding/selection. I think two of the best metric points to use is ESPN's SOR and the Massey ratings(not the composite, his own). I just think with those 2 there aren't as many off the wall ratings, and using them, at least IMO, will give you a better indication on where teams we'll be seeded. We'll see if my theory plays out when the bracket comes out though. lol.

Here's massey: Massey Ratings - CB

Here's SOR: College Basketball Power Index - NCAA Tournament Predictions

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do follow this stuff all pretty closely, as it relates to seeding/selection. I think two of the best metric points to use is ESPN's SOR and the Massey ratings(not the composite, his own). I just think with those 2 there aren't as many off the wall ratings, and using them, at least IMO, will give you a better indication on where teams we'll be seeded. We'll see if my theory plays out when the bracket comes out though. lol.

Here's massey: Massey Ratings - CB

Here's SOR: College Basketball Power Index - NCAA Tournament Predictions

Thanks. I will get a look at this. I'm not as dialed in as well as you guys.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks. I will get a look at this. I'm not as dialed in as well as you guys.

CBB is my favorite sport. I just try to be as educated as I can each season...you'd think it help with my bracket picks, but never does. lol.

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carolina/ND game postponed. Will be moved to Greensboro and played on Sunday.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@jeffro151 Good luck today miang. I hope my boys can pull yet another one out their tail. Up here they are saying your coach had last years E8 game playing on a loop in the locker room all week.

lol...He's pissed. Not good for my boys, huh.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@jeffro151 Good luck today miang. I hope my boys can pull yet another one out their tail. Up here they are saying your coach had last years E8 game playing on a loop in the locker room all week.

lol...He's pissed. Not good for my boys, huh.
I think we are playing too well right now to get upset by Syracuse, but stranger things have happened.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we are playing too well right now to get upset by Syracuse, but stranger things have happened.

It is basketball so yeah, you never know. The D you guys are playing has been lockdown and chokes the life out of a team. But it's a home game and teams are struggling here this year.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is basketball so yeah, you never know. The D you guys are playing has been lockdown and chokes the life out of a team. But it's a home game and teams are struggling here this year.
What's crazy is that no one thought UVA would have a scoring post presence, but they lead the league at .495% from the field. This team has really gelled these past few weeks.

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Syracuse settling for to many jump shots and has no post up game at all. Virginia hitting open 3's and smashing the Orange on the boards as usual. See if Syracuse has a run in them or not. Lydon once again a no show and Gillion not even trying to drive and kick. His lack of size isn't getting him any open looks as well. Peace.