• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 90s music years defined

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1990: This is when you saw a difference between 1989 and 1990. Paula Abdul and Janet Jackson was leading up to the transition where a lot of dance music was all the rage. Bands did little at this point, but in 1991 they were starting to reemerge.

1991: The year of Amy Grant. A softer version of pop emerged compared to the 80s. But we started to see some bands come on the scene such as TTWS RHCP. REM was out in the 80s but their biggest hit was this year. This decade defined them more. This was also the year where Bryan Adams' career resurged with "Everything I do I do it for You."

1992: The absolute breakout year for R&B and Hip-Hop. To this day, no other year touches this year for that industry. It was a banner year. What other year do you see EnVogue, AD, TLC, Bobby Brown, Cover Girls, Sir-Mix-Alot, and RexnEffect? Oh, I forgot BIIM.

1993: That previous year led to more R&B but not nearly as dense. The legends dominated this year: Whitney, Mariah, and Janet. There hasn't been another year where they were all three dominant in the same year. It was a otherwise dry year for pop music until that British pop group came along late in the year. I mean, Duran Duran had a hit. So did Sting.

1994: That British pop group I was talking about: Ace of Base. No matter what, you have to give credit to them for revitalizing pop music in the 90s. That's how Melissa Etheridge, Lisa Loeb, Counting Crows, Seal(who never sung R&B) came on strong. The summer of 94 was a transition time. In terms of variety, it was the best year of the decade.

1995: Now here we go heading into alternative's long run until the mid-00s. Another similar year to 1993 but no diva domination. We had a new bitch in town.

Yes, when she came on, it may have started a white female empowerment era. She did it better than them all. And, this was the year of that Friends' soundtrack, and Sister Hazel.

1996: As we head into this year, alternative grows. The alternative bands start coming in slowly starting with the GooGooDolls. But the summer had a shift back to a somewhat R&B return with Lauryn Hill and EnVogue's comeback. And that song I never liked...the rip off of Every Breath You Take. This year also belonged Celine Dion.

1997: Well, we know of one specific girl group that dominated the media in all, but they didn't touch the poets in airplay. This was the year of Lillith Fair. Alannis took a breather, and Jewel, Sarah McLaughclan, Shaun Colvin, Paula Cole, and Fiona enjoyed their time during her absence. However, they would hold no candle to the movement about to overpower them.

1998: The poet movement died down some, but they were still around. Celine was back on top and teen pop was simmering, and by the end of this year, A woman by the name of Britney would change and eventually destroy pop music for good. But this year is when the bands took over. Aerosmith had a big hit, Goo Goo Dolls had a big hit, Matchbox 20 was all over, Barenaked Ladies had their only hit, and I don't know if you remember Shawn Mullins and Eagle-eye Cherry. All around that Natalie chick. Poor Alannis, that absence destroyed her, and that second album was not for everyone.

1999: After Britney came on, she started off this year, and no more would Alannis, Jewel, and the like have big hits. Britney and her boyband cronies changed the format to their direction. Early 1999 was so dry Cher had a impossibly big hit. Probaby her second biggest ever after Turn Back Time. And who else did we have........the band we would all like to forget and their lead singer. Sugar Ray. Although they were around before, they dominated airplay for two months. It was the calm before the storm because summer on it was a Latin Infusion. Started by Ricky Martin, who would end up being the least successful of the big four solos. Enrique was number four here, and had the second most staying power. Of course, this was the birth of JLo as a singer. That paired up with teen pop. And we started going back in the direction of a poppier format.

And that's your 90s decade. Dance to soft rock to R&B to variety to female poetry to alternative to teen pop and latin pop.

Quite a decade.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have time to comb through everything but one minor thing that jumped out... Ace of Base is not a British group, they are (were? fucked if I know) Swedish.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wassamatta U?

U no like da grunge muzik, or alt/industrial/prog metal??

Seriously.. how do you rate 90s music while ignoring grunge? Very little about rap either, which isn't my thing but still...The thread should be called 90s pop music defined.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1990: This is when you saw a difference between 1989 and 1990. Paula Abdul and Janet Jackson was leading up to the transition where a lot of dance music was all the rage. Bands did little at this point, but in 1991 they were starting to reemerge.

1991: The year of Amy Grant. A softer version of pop emerged compared to the 80s. But we started to see some bands come on the scene such as TTWS RHCP. REM was out in the 80s but their biggest hit was this year. This decade defined them more. This was also the year where Bryan Adams' career resurged with "Everything I do I do it for You."

1992: The absolute breakout year for R&B and Hip-Hop. To this day, no other year touches this year for that industry. It was a banner year. What other year do you see EnVogue, AD, TLC, Bobby Brown, Cover Girls, Sir-Mix-Alot, and RexnEffect? Oh, I forgot BIIM.

1993: That previous year led to more R&B but not nearly as dense. The legends dominated this year: Whitney, Mariah, and Janet. There hasn't been another year where they were all three dominant in the same year. It was a otherwise dry year for pop music until that British pop group came along late in the year. I mean, Duran Duran had a hit. So did Sting.

1994: That British pop group I was talking about: Ace of Base. No matter what, you have to give credit to them for revitalizing pop music in the 90s. That's how Melissa Etheridge, Lisa Loeb, Counting Crows, Seal(who never sung R&B) came on strong. The summer of 94 was a transition time. In terms of variety, it was the best year of the decade.

1995: Now here we go heading into alternative's long run until the mid-00s. Another similar year to 1993 but no diva domination. We had a new bitch in town.

Yes, when she came on, it may have started a white female empowerment era. She did it better than them all. And, this was the year of that Friends' soundtrack, and Sister Hazel.

1996: As we head into this year, alternative grows. The alternative bands start coming in slowly starting with the GooGooDolls. But the summer had a shift back to a somewhat R&B return with Lauryn Hill and EnVogue's comeback. And that song I never liked...the rip off of Every Breath You Take. This year also belonged Celine Dion.

1997: Well, we know of one specific girl group that dominated the media in all, but they didn't touch the poets in airplay. This was the year of Lillith Fair. Alannis took a breather, and Jewel, Sarah McLaughclan, Shaun Colvin, Paula Cole, and Fiona enjoyed their time during her absence. However, they would hold no candle to the movement about to overpower them.

1998: The poet movement died down some, but they were still around. Celine was back on top and teen pop was simmering, and by the end of this year, A woman by the name of Britney would change and eventually destroy pop music for good. But this year is when the bands took over. Aerosmith had a big hit, Goo Goo Dolls had a big hit, Matchbox 20 was all over, Barenaked Ladies had their only hit, and I don't know if you remember Shawn Mullins and Eagle-eye Cherry. All around that Natalie chick. Poor Alannis, that absence destroyed her, and that second album was not for everyone.

1999: After Britney came on, she started off this year, and no more would Alannis, Jewel, and the like have big hits. Britney and her boyband cronies changed the format to their direction. Early 1999 was so dry Cher had a impossibly big hit. Probaby her second biggest ever after Turn Back Time. And who else did we have........the band we would all like to forget and their lead singer. Sugar Ray. Although they were around before, they dominated airplay for two months. It was the calm before the storm because summer on it was a Latin Infusion. Started by Ricky Martin, who would end up being the least successful of the big four solos. Enrique was number four here, and had the second most staying power. Of course, this was the birth of JLo as a singer. That paired up with teen pop. And we started going back in the direction of a poppier format.

And that's your 90s decade. Dance to soft rock to R&B to variety to female poetry to alternative to teen pop and latin pop.

Quite a decade.

:pound:

Why no mention of Nirvana? Their album Smells like Teen Spirit (1991) changed the face of music.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah for 1991 he mentions Amy Grant but not Nirvana? :crazy:

Dude abbreviates Toad the Wet Sprocket. (I googled it. lulz)

Honestly, if y'all ever see me make a post like the OP, alert the mods to call 9-1-1, as I have either been abducted or am having a stroke.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a fan of current popular music even if my peers are. I prefer the 50's, 60's 70's and 80's for music.

California Creme Puffs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OP cites 1996 as the release year of "that song I never liked...the rip off of Every Breath You Take."

That song ("I'll Be Missing You") was released in May 1997.

OP fails.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Quite a decade.

You got a Winner from me solely for giving ace of base their due

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Extacy, acid. shrooms, ketamine and an all night sensory overload. Y’all missed out.

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude abbreviates Toad the Wet Sprocket. (I googled it. lulz)

The name Toad the Wet Sprocket was actually from a skit by Monty Python, used, as I heard once by permission. The skit was actually about " Bad Names for Musical Groups."

My daughter was born in 1990. I barely noticed music for years. I certainly didn't care about the way music has gotten weaker over the years.

I've only got 2 stations on my car radio. One is forties and fifties, and the other is sixties, seventies and eighties.