• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 2024-2025 NBA Basketball Season

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the answer to sitting players: all salaries are broken into per game buckets. No game checks without playing unless you have a confirmed injury. They can have maybe 5 or 10 freebies, then they start losing money (or assess appropriate fines if they can't work salaries like that).

Healthy resting players shouldn't be paid IMO.

Imo, it depends on why/when the healthy player is resting.

The earliest I remember "healthy scratches" was the Showtime Lakers when Riley would start sitting Magic, Kareem, etc. as soon as the Lakers locked up their playoff seeding.

With the main issue being fans buying tickets to see the stars and then the stars aren't playing even though they're healthy. The way Riley did it, you knew that if you bought a ticket after the Lakers clinched their seeding, there was a decent chance that you wouldn't see the star players or at least not much of them.

I have no problem paying the players under circumstances like that.

But the "healthy scratch" during the main part of the season should be addressed because fans are purchasing tickets with the expectation that if the star is healthy, he's playing. Then they get to the arena only to find out he's sitting despite being healthy. That feels like a bit of a bait and switch.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No guarantee that 50 games isn't enough to get either injured. Playing careful is sometimes worse for injury risks.

Sure. It is far from certain that this will keep him healthy. But it's hard to argue that it doesn't reduce the risk of injury.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The earliest I remember "healthy scratches" was the Showtime Lakers when Riley would start sitting Magic, Kareem, etc. as soon as the Lakers locked up their playoff seeding.

With the main issue being fans buying tickets to see the stars and then the stars aren't playing even though they're healthy. The way Riley did it, you knew that if you bought a ticket after the Lakers clinched their seeding, there was a decent chance that you wouldn't see the star players or at least not much of them.

But the "healthy scratch" during the main part of the season should be addressed because fans are purchasing tickets with the expectation that if the star is healthy, he's playing. Then they get to the arena only to find out he's sitting despite being healthy. That feels like a bit of a bait and switch.

I don't see any real way to address this without shortening the season which they won't do.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sure, and in my post I did include 5-10 waivers for normal resting or personal non-injury issues. If the healthy scratch players are present at the game, perhaps they could offset those disappointed fans with some sort of postgame appearance or autograph opportunities?

Just throwing ideas out there lol...

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see any real way to address this without shortening the season which they won't do.

Yeah. If they really take a hardcore stance on it, teams will just start sitting players with vague issues that are difficult to disprove like "lower back tightness" to avoid punishment.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That would be ideal, at least to eliminate back to backs. Or, expand rosters to allow for deeper benches for back to backs? Expansion would lessen the effectivity of expanded benches though, so they would be fighting themselves. Not an easy fix without shortening the season (and ultimately cutting TV and ticket revenue).

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. If they really take a hardcore stance on it, teams will just start sitting players with vague issues that are difficult to disprove like "lower back tightness" to avoid punishment.

Exactly. The teams want the players to sit more than the players.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. The teams want the players to sit more than the players.

I think it's both. I think that the players have bought in to "load management" but do agree that using it starts with the FO.

The reason I think the players share in it is because if, for example, Lebron wants to play in a game when the Lakers want him to sit...he's playing.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's old

#facts
laughing-lebron-james.gif

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He supposedly lost a considerable amount of weight, will be interesting to see once he hits the court....in November?
My speculative take is that Embiid is being held out because he is not in game shape and is therefore more injury prone. This is something we have seen many times before with Embiid and his "conditioning". As you can see, I am tired of this dude and tired of making excuses for his inability to stay healthy and show up when it matters.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the answer to sitting players: all salaries are broken into per game buckets. No game checks without playing unless you have a confirmed injury. They can have maybe 5 or 10 freebies, then they start losing money (or assess appropriate fines if they can't work salaries like that).

Healthy resting players shouldn't be paid IMO.
OK....but often it's the team that helps make decisions for guys to sit (even if not hurt).

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK....but often it's the team that helps make decisions for guys to sit (even if not hurt).

Yeah unless you’re making team employees (gm, coach, team doctor) all have to sign off on an availability affidavit while being subject to perjury charges….I’m not sure how you get past that

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not if you want to consider him to be an All-NBA level player
But you said needs to find an offensive game as though he does not have one.

And comment to which you replied said all NBA defender, which he already is (and top 30 player).

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But you said needs to find an offensive game as though he does not have one.

And comment to which you replied said all NBA defender, which he already is (and top 30 player).
So you know what I was responding to and then responded to it as if you didn't. thats on brand for you