• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 2020 NFL Draft Thread

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His biggest issue is press coverage. Right now he is pretty raw when it comes to knowing how to get off the LOS. There were plays where Ruggs was still at the LOS while Jeudy was 10-15 yards down the field making a play.
just pretend the like button is the useful button :thumb:

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His biggest issue is press coverage. Right now he is pretty raw when it comes to knowing how to get off the LOS. There were plays where Ruggs was still at the LOS while Jeudy was 10-15 yards down the field making a play.
Based on what little I saw, I would also guess that you really want a franchise QB arm with a guy like him.

Ruggs has Small catch radius but the type of speed that makes defenses play angles differently. Tyreek Hill level top speed but maybe not Hill level brakes or change of direction. I feel like if you have a QB that puts it on the money then he could take it to the house almost any play but if Ruggs has to earn it before the catch then you're probably not getting much.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on what little I saw, I would also guess that you really want a franchise QB arm with a guy like him.

Ruggs has Small catch radius but the type of speed that makes defenses play angles differently. Tyreek Hill level top speed but maybe not Hill level brakes or change of direction. I feel like if you have a QB that puts it on the money then he could take it to the house almost any play but if Ruggs has to earn it before the catch then you're probably not getting much.

Actually I would disagree with part of this. He is not as smooth as Tyreek Hill (not many are) so yes in and out of breaks he is not quite where you would like him. He does have a great catch radius though. This is what separates him from guys like Will Fuller in that Ruggs is more than just a speed guy. He was not afraid to fight for the football on 50/50 balls and has great hands on top of that. I think he only had 1 drop this past season if I remember right. At the Combine he just measured in with some of the biggest hands of any WR so shouldn't surprise anyone that he has good hands.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually I would disagree with part of this. He is not as smooth as Tyreek Hill (not many are) so yes in and out of breaks he is not quite where you would like him. He does have a great catch radius though. This is what separates him from guys like Will Fuller in that Ruggs is more than just a speed guy. He was not afraid to fight for the football on 50/50 balls and has great hands on top of that. I think he only had 1 drop this past season if I remember right. At the Combine he just measured in with some of the biggest hands of any WR so shouldn't surprise anyone that he has good hands.
Oh, I'm not insinuating he has bad hands like some of the other Alabama WRs. I just think he is someone you want to hit in rhythm.

Part of a Tyreek Hill comparison, though, is that he is 1 year off from fully hitting his stride so that might be the comparison people are going with. Anyways, I don't expect Ruggs to be around when KC is drafting.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, I'm not insinuating he has bad hands like some of the other Alabama WRs. I just think he is someone you want to hit in rhythm.

Part of a Tyreek Hill comparison, though, is that he is 1 year off from fully hitting his stride so that might be the comparison people are going with. Anyways, I don't expect Ruggs to be around when KC is drafting.

I was more talking about his ability to go up and high point a ball. Throws don't have to be perfect for him to make a play. Obviously with that kind of speed you want throws to be perfect as even a short throw on a slant can be taken for a TD. Obviously see that with Tyreek Hill and why teams panic with the ball in his hands and even when he doesn't have the ball of how they try to cover him. Same thing would happen with Ruggs on the field. I would say Ruggs is faster than Hill straight line but he isn't the all around receiver that Hill is at this time. I don't think he will ever quite get to that level as a route runner as his hips are a little too tight for that, but he should still enter the NFL as one of the most feared weapons in football.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was more talking about his ability to go up and high point a ball. Throws don't have to be perfect for him to make a play. Obviously with that kind of speed you want throws to be perfect as even a short throw on a slant can be taken for a TD. Obviously see that with Tyreek Hill and why teams panic with the ball in his hands and even when he doesn't have the ball of how they try to cover him. Same thing would happen with Ruggs on the field. I would say Ruggs is faster than Hill straight line but he isn't the all around receiver that Hill is at this time. I don't think he will ever quite get to that level as a route runner as his hips are a little too tight for that, but he should still enter the NFL as one of the most feared weapons in football.
A lot of scouting reports on him talk about a limited catch radius and/or the potential to struggle with physicality at the next level. I'll admit I haven't really looked at his contested catch data or anything but I think what you're seeing with his hips and inability to beat man press might be enough to justify thinking that he is a mid 1st rounder and not a top 8 pick or anything.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of scouting reports on him talk about a limited catch radius and/or the potential to struggle with physicality at the next level. I'll admit I haven't really looked at his contested catch data or anything but I think what you're seeing with his hips and inability to beat man press might be enough to justify thinking that he is a mid 1st rounder and not a top 8 pick or anything.

I've watched almost every single game of his. Those reports are people who continue to parrot the idea that speed WR's don't have a good catch radius. I can about guarantee most of those people have watched very little of him and have just read the comments of others. He has very strong hands and is not afraid to get physical for the football.

Having some connections within the Broncos organization I can tell you he will not make it past 15 for sure. If he runs under a 4.3 at the Combine my guess is he will end up the 1st receiver taken in the draft.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tale of the tape out of Indy :

Notable QB measurements
PLAYER HEIGHT WEIGHT (LBS) HAND SIZE WINGSPAN
Joe Burrow 6'3-4/8" 221 9" 74"
Justin Herbert 6'6-2/8" 236 10" 78 7/8"
Jacob Eason 6'5-7/8" 231 9 4/8" 79"
Jake Fromm 6'1-7/8" 219 8 7/8" 75"
Tua Tagovailoa 6'-0" 217 10" 75 2/8"
Jalen Hurts 6-1" 222 9 6/8" 77 5/8"
Anthony Gordon 6'2-3/8" 205 9 6/8" 73"
Jordan Love 6'3-6/8" 224 10 4/8" 80"

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've watched almost every single game of his. Those reports are people who continue to parrot the idea that speed WR's don't have a good catch radius. I can about guarantee most of those people have watched very little of him and have just read the comments of others. He has very strong hands and is not afraid to get physical for the football.

Having some connections within the Broncos organization I can tell you he will not make it past 15 for sure. If he runs under a 4.3 at the Combine my guess is he will end up the 1st receiver taken in the draft.
I'd hope his 40 time doesn't matter that much in 2020. If he run 4.4 then it probably means that he slipped.

Daniel Jeremiah put him in the race as the #1 WR. I know a lot of Alabama fans Ive seen like Jeudy more but it wouldn't shock me if Ruggs goes first.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd hope his 40 time doesn't matter that much in 2020. If he run 4.4 then it probably means that he slipped.

Daniel Jeremiah put him in the race as the #1 WR. I know a lot of Alabama fans Ive seen like Jeudy more but it wouldn't shock me if Ruggs goes first.

On my personal big board I have him as my #4 WR. Right now I have Jeudy as my top guy, Lamb #2, and Laviska #3. I'm starting to sour on Laviska with more injuries showing up right before the Combine and him coming in smaller than expected. Have to see how he runs but we shall see. I really like Ruggs a lot and most drafts he would be a top-10 player on my board. This year's draft just has some crazy talent especially at the WR position.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On my personal big board I have him as my #4 WR. Right now I have Jeudy as my top guy, Lamb #2, and Laviska #3. I'm starting to sour on Laviska with more injuries showing up right before the Combine and him coming in smaller than expected. Have to see how he runs but we shall see. I really like Ruggs a lot and most drafts he would be a top-10 player on my board. This year's draft just has some crazy talent especially at the WR position.
Lamb is definitely my favorite. I think it would be silly if he fell past Arizona but at the same time its hard to pass up on OT prospects if thats the direction they're going.

The Jeudy/Lock combo makes a lot of sense. I think he probably should be top 2 on Denver's WR board.

Laviska is tough because of the draft he is in. I feel like he is more boom/bust than the others and when you have so many to choose from it means he falls. I wouldn't be stunned if he fell into KC's range just due to the strength of the draft.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lamb is definitely my favorite. I think it would be silly if he fell past Arizona but at the same time its hard to pass up on OT prospects if thats the direction they're going.

The Jeudy/Lock combo makes a lot of sense. I think he probably should be top 2 on Denver's WR board.

Laviska is tough because of the draft he is in. I feel like he is more boom/bust than the others and when you have so many to choose from it means he falls. I wouldn't be stunned if he fell into KC's range just due to the strength of the draft.

Jeudy passed Lamb for me mostly because of the fit with Lock and more importantly with the offense that Shurmur likes to run of guys winning 1-on-1 battles in a hurry and having that quick strike ability. No better receiver in this draft at that very thing than Jeudy. Honestly at 15 I would be happy with Jeudy, Lamb, or Ruggs. I would be happy for the most part with Laviska but like you said he is a bit of a boom or bust prospect. So would be nervous to see what happens and I would also say he is the least likely to have year 1 impact.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well at the moment I have read him getting picked late teens to early 20's. (Cowboys, Eagles & Patriots) So you might be onto something.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My understanding is two things (from reading or watching TV not evaluation) Jeudy & Lamb would go before him. However Ruggs would be the Combine Darling. They are almost guaranteeing him to run in the 4.2's. Also think he might rival the record (whatever that is)

the one thing I know. Speed kills & if that speed has good hands........ Good god!!!
Which is why I am curious of what his drawbacks are? (even if they are slight)

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The main drawback to draft a WR in rd1 is that you can draft a WR in rd2.

Last year in rd2 the Niners got Deebo Samuel, Titans got AJ Brown, Chiefs got Mecole Hardman, Seahawks got DK Metcalf. This years WR class is deeper.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The main drawback to draft a WR in rd1 is that you can draft a WR in rd2.

Last year in rd2 the Niners got Deebo Samuel, Titans got AJ Brown, Chiefs got Mecole Hardman, Seahawks got DK Metcalf. This years WR class is deeper.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing the Eagles trade down and pick up more assets from a lower team desperate to snap somebody specific up.

Classic NE move. Might not be there at #21, but you never know.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Generally I don't like comparing first round prospects to epic busts. Thats why I like something like a Haskins or Foles comparison. Its non-committal and allows for the idea that he might succeed if he goes to a good situation (Indy, for example)

You have Rosen as an epic bust? He's been on two bad teams that wouldn't commit to him. Watch him end up with a team with some stability and an aging QB, could turn things around yet.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My understanding is two things (from reading or watching TV not evaluation) Jeudy & Lamb would go before him. However Ruggs would be the Combine Darling. They are almost guaranteeing him to run in the 4.2's. Also think he might rival the record (whatever that is)

the one thing I know. Speed kills & if that speed has good hands........ Good god!!!
Which is why I am curious of what his drawbacks are? (even if they are slight)

So here are some of the reasons I have been told behind the scenes.

1) Age/Maturity--He is one of the younger players in the draft and teams do question his readiness for the NFL.
2) Press Coverage issues--Again he is raw in some areas. I think people overblow this issue but it does show up some on tape
3) Friends--Anybody remember when Dalvin Cook came out of college and people were worried about the friends he had surrounded himself with and whether they would come with him? Some of those same concerns are showing up with Ruggs at this time. He hasn't always had the best of friends and some might even have some gang connections.
4) Lack of production--One could argue that Ruggs was the least productive WR at Alabama this past year with Jeudy, Waddle, and Smith all being more important to the offense. So have to figure out why someone who maybe could be a top-10 pick didn't produce at an elite level. Was it because the target shares were limited with so many great weapons, was it the offense wasn't a great fit for his skill set, or was it he just didn't have the ability to do that little bit more needed?

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So here are some of the reasons I have been told behind the scenes.

1) Age/Maturity--He is one of the younger players in the draft and teams do question his readiness for the NFL.
2) Press Coverage issues--Again he is raw in some areas. I think people overblow this issue but it does show up some on tape
3) Friends--Anybody remember when Dalvin Cook came out of college and people were worried about the friends he had surrounded himself with and whether they would come with him? Some of those same concerns are showing up with Ruggs at this time. He hasn't always had the best of friends and some might even have some gang connections.
4) Lack of production--One could argue that Ruggs was the least productive WR at Alabama this past year with Jeudy, Waddle, and Smith all being more important to the offense. So have to figure out why someone who maybe could be a top-10 pick didn't produce at an elite level. Was it because the target shares were limited with so many great weapons, was it the offense wasn't a great fit for his skill set, or was it he just didn't have the ability to do that little bit more needed?
#3 would probably be my biggest concern here. if his head isnt screwed on straight. His talent ultimately wont matter.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#3 would probably be my biggest concern here. if his head isnt screwed on straight. His talent ultimately wont matter.

I've only heard that concern from one source so I haven't been able to verify it. Just was giving you a list of reasons that I have heard from different people and from my own observation of watching him play.