• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 2019 NFL Free Agency/Trade Thread

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wasn't a combine warrior. Don't get me wrong I like him if he can do one specific thing and that is to be mainly a cover LB. LB's are supposed to tackle though, that is their MAIN objective and he wasn't very good at that, plain and simple.
Yet other players differ as he has been to a PB and they account for much of the vote. I've also never been a fan of Greggggggggg as a DC so who knows what a different scheme might do (Collins was better it seemed when he played before Williams was here).

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bc he wasn't very good lol. It's why Avery was seeing more and more playing time. I love Avery and Kirksey, love them both.
Not playing well, and not being good are not the same when it comes to him. Which, yes, is an issue. But when the guy is motivated he was our best LB. why not wait and see what happens with the new DC. Maybe he just got tired of being coached by a screaming fake toughguy who was not a good coach?

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not playing well, and not being good are not the same when it comes to him. Which, yes, is an issue. But when the guy is motivated he was our best LB. why not wait and see what happens with the new DC. Maybe he just got tired of being coached by a screaming fake toughguy who was not a good coach?

"With no guaranteed money left on the contract, Cleveland saves $9.25 million against the salary cap with just $2.5 million in dead money by cutting Collins.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport noted the Browns attempted to trade Collins in recent weeks, as they did near the trade deadline during the season, but found no takers for his $10.5 million salary"

Nobody thought he was worth that contract and I don't blame him. If you get paid $12M a year as one of the top paid LB's you better play a hell of a lot better than you were. The move made sense.

So blaming it on the coach bc he didn't play up to his potential. There is a reason the Pats traded him, they started to see traits of decline and that he wasn't worth that contract. The guy was a very solid start for years but now and at that salary, no thanks. Saved the Browns $9M too

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"With no guaranteed money left on the contract, Cleveland saves $9.25 million against the salary cap with just $2.5 million in dead money by cutting Collins.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport noted the Browns attempted to trade Collins in recent weeks, as they did near the trade deadline during the season, but found no takers for his $10.5 million salary"

Nobody thought he was worth that contract and I don't blame him. If you get paid $12M a year as one of the top paid LB's you better play a hell of a lot better than you were. The move made sense.

So blaming it on the coach bc he didn't play up to his potential. There is a reason the Pats traded him, they started to see traits of decline and that he wasn't worth that contract. The guy was a very solid start for years but now and at that salary, no thanks. Saved the Browns $9M too
I'm fine with the move, just saying I might have waited. Not like the are lacking in cap space for THIS season. He is still arguably better than all their LBs for sure he is when motivated. See what kind of attitude he has in camp with the new teammates and coaches. Not what you want, OK, cut him.

I don't know that it's the coach, but he is not a good coach and Collins did play better the half season before Greggggggg got here. Assuming you are aware the Browns didn't like him either.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm fine with the move, just saying I might have waited. Not like the are lacking in cap space for THIS season. He is still arguably better than all their LBs for sure he is when motivated. See what kind of attitude he has in camp with the new teammates and coaches. Not what you want, OK, cut him.

I don't know that it's the coach, but he is not a good coach and Collins did play better the half season before Greggggggg got here. Assuming you are aware the Browns didn't like him either.
At the end of the day, having inconsistent effort coupled with him not being a Dorsey guy is what did him in. I think it was becoming evident that he wasn't going to be on the team this year, so they cut ties early to get focused, especially going into the draft.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It doesn't matter if they already had a lot of cap space. You get rid of guys getting top salary that aren't worth what they are getting paid. It's just like any business. And I don't care if he is supposed to better than any LB when motivated, bc we rarely saw it. I want a high effort guy that will give it all every down. $9M is a lot.
The Browns obviously disagreed with you bc they actually saw him play on the field and they definitely made the right choice.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the end of the day, having inconsistent effort coupled with him not being a Dorsey guy is what did him in. I think it was becoming evident that he wasn't going to be on the team this year, so they cut ties early to get focused, especially going into the draft.
No doubt that's how it went down. Just thinking it could have waited. There was no rush as they have plenty of cap room. could have been other leaders in the locker room who said he's a cancer and if that's the case, OK, no need to have him around at all. But never heard that.

Not a big deal, but I'm also not going to just think every move the guy makes is the correct one just because I didn't like his predecessor.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt that's how it went down. Just thinking it could have waited. There was no rush as they have plenty of cap room. could have been other leaders in the locker room who said he's a cancer and if that's the case, OK, no need to have him around at all. But never heard that.

Not a big deal, but I'm also not going to just think every move the guy makes is the correct one just because I didn't like his predecessor.
I don't know that he was even a "cancer", so to speak. I haven't really heard much about him as a person. It was strictly production on the field. He was the 58th rated LB last year making the 7th most money in the league at the position. Regardless of our depth, it was the right move IMO. There are better options out there.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't matter if they already had a lot of cap space. You get rid of guys getting top salary that aren't worth what they are getting paid. It's just like any business. And I don't care if he is supposed to better than any LB when motivated, bc we rarely saw it. I want a high effort guy that will give it all every down. $9M is a lot.
The Browns obviously disagreed with you bc they actually saw him play on the field and they definitely made the right choice.
agreed (with first part, hard to know they made the right choice), but they can get rid of him later and save on the salary. In addition, this is a year to compete, right? If player A has better value, but player B is a better player for THIS year I want player B.....so long as his salary doesn't prevent other moves I'd make. If other players in locker room want him out, that's another story.

They disagreed with me about Nassib, too, but he should have been retained another year. Is that gonna be your answer for everything? You will have either no opinion or it was the right move because it's Dorsey? You get he can be exceptional, but you can question something. It's permitted.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know that he was even a "cancer", so to speak. I haven't really heard much about him as a person. It was strictly production on the field. He was the 58th rated LB last year making the 7th most money in the league at the position. Regardless of our depth, it was the right move IMO. There are better options out there.
Might be...but so far that guy isn't on the roster. And I think we both agree his production was lack of effort, not ability. On a bad team it's a no-brainer to let him go.

I get Dorsey could have kept him or let him go and you'd be behind it. I'm even OK letting him go....I'd only have waited until I saw him in camp with the new players/system.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might be...but so far that guy isn't on the roster. And I think we both agree his production was lack of effort, not ability. On a bad team it's a no-brainer to let him go.

I get Dorsey could have kept him or let him go and you'd be behind it. I'm even OK letting him go....I'd only have waited until I saw him in camp with the new players/system.
I would've been just OK if he kept him, but I'm far happier seeing him gone. I'm pretty sure I even said as much before he was cut. His ability was there, but I don't see some huge leap in effort coming from him. Think about it - the Patriots were happy to send him packing. That should say something.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would've been just OK if he kept him, but I'm far happier seeing him gone. I'm pretty sure I even said as much before he was cut. His ability was there, but I don't see some huge leap in effort coming from him. Think about it - the Patriots were happy to send him packing. That should say something.
But that could have been about money. We didn't need to worry about money this year. are you also thinking BB doesn't make mistakes either? Isn't to say trading Collins for him was a mistake, but just because he did does not mean Collins cannot play.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But that could have been about money. We didn't need to worry about money this year. are you also thinking BB doesn't make mistakes either? Isn't to say trading Collins for him was a mistake, but just because he did does not mean Collins cannot play.
Having two of the brightest minds in the game from a talent evaluation/investment standpoint give up on a guy is a pretty bad look. As far as the money goes, you're right, we don't need it this year. I don't think the move was about the money, other than Dorsey had a problem overpaying a guy who gives inconsistent effort.

While the defense overall was poor last year, the pass defense wasn't actually that bad when you look at it. We were 8th in YPA allowed, 7th in comp% allowed, and 5th in rating allowed and in INTs. Qualitatively, they were solid, which is very possibly why we still have Schobert. Collins, on the other hand, was not only a horrible tackler, but he was pretty bad last year in pass defense, too (PFF rated him at 52.7 in coverage, which falls in the "poor" category).

Add that all up, in addition to the fact that he wasn't a guy Dorsey picked himself, and it's easy to see why he was let go.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having two of the brightest minds in the game from a talent evaluation/investment standpoint give up on a guy is a pretty bad look. As far as the money goes, you're right, we don't need it this year. I don't think the move was about the money, other than Dorsey had a problem overpaying a guy who gives inconsistent effort.

While the defense overall was poor last year, the pass defense wasn't actually that bad when you look at it. We were 8th in YPA allowed, 7th in comp% allowed, and 5th in rating allowed and in INTs. Qualitatively, they were solid, which is very possibly why we still have Schobert. Collins, on the other hand, was not only a horrible tackler, but he was pretty bad last year in pass defense, too (PFF rated him at 52.7 in coverage, which falls in the "poor" category).

Add that all up, in addition to the fact that he wasn't a guy Dorsey picked himself, and it's easy to see why he was let go.
and I don't disagree, was only throwing it out there nothing to lose by waiting.

Admittedly, telling I don't think anyone has picked him up.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and I don't disagree, was only throwing it out there nothing to lose by waiting.

Admittedly, telling I don't think anyone has picked him up.
It's an odd time. I'm shocked nobody has signed guys like Zach Brown, Suh, Zeke Ansah, Tre Boston, etc., but I guess it's not that big a deal since we're still in April. I can't say there was nothing to lose by keeping him, you're right. I just don't think there was anything to gain.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They just listed all the reports leading up to the draft regarding the Browns last year. Hilarious. I have no doubt the "insiders" either just guess or are lied to.

And the fans eat it up.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They just listed all the reports leading up to the draft regarding the Browns last year. Hilarious. I have no doubt the "insiders" either just guess or are lied to.

And the fans eat it up.
I loved seeing all of the "source close to the Browns organization" or "person close to Dorsey" statements about how we were taking Allen, then Darnold, then Allen, then trading the pick, then maybe Rosen, then Allen again, and then Mayfield.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I loved seeing all of the "source close to the Browns organization" or "person close to Dorsey" statements about how we were taking Allen, then Darnold, then Allen, then trading the pick, then maybe Rosen, then Allen again, and then Mayfield.
Funniest thing is when fans hear these reports and flip out as though they happened.

FOs don't tell anyone outside the organization their plans.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And the fans eat it up.

Yeah that's what makes the draft, the draft. You find out who is right, who is wrong and mock drafts can be fun. Last year nobody had Mayfield going to Cleveland other than Kiper who literally changed his pick the day of the draft, he had Josh Allen to the Browns for months.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah that's what makes the draft, the draft. You find out who is right, who is wrong and mock drafts can be fun. Last year nobody had Mayfield going to Cleveland other than Kiper who literally changed his pick the day of the draft, he had Josh Allen to the Browns for months.
Yep...and he changed it when everyone knew, didn't he?

The Friend of Dorsey idea was comical. I think MMQB bought it.