• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 2019 NFL Free Agency/Trade Thread

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its not foolish. Its called tanking. Other sports acknowledge how strong it is.

I will say that Dorsey was the right guy for the right time. He has a great eye for offensive weapons. Dorsey's weakness is maintaining defensive talent so....just a heads up.
Exactly!! couldn't have played out better. Sashi to tank, and Dorsey to finish the job. I'd have liked to have seen Sashi stick around and help in a Paul D type role (with Paul D) but I guess someone had to be the scapegoat since it wasn't Hue.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying what he did is foolish, I'm saying trying to give him credit for Dorsey's moves is. It isn't as if tanking requires talent. Building a team is much harder, and that's what Dorsey is doing.

Think about it - if Brown was actually good at his job, why wouldn't they let him stay on board after the tank job and build the team? Because he obviously isn't a good GM.
They say over the course of time, most good GMs revert to the mean and are proven average.

I do like Dorsey's drafting strategies. Your previous GM kinda drafted like Al Davis while Dorsey mixes in Sparq scores with positional value and film.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying what he did is foolish, I'm saying trying to give him credit for Dorsey's moves is. It isn't as if tanking requires talent. Building a team is much harder, and that's what Dorsey is doing.

Think about it - if Brown was actually good at his job, why wouldn't they let him stay on board after the tank job and build the team? Because he obviously isn't a good GM.
do you really not understand he was not the GM?
To answer your question, because someone had to be the scapegoat since they were keeping Hue.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They say over the course of time, most good GMs revert to the mean and are proven average.

I do like Dorsey's drafting strategies. Your previous GM kinda drafted like Al Davis while Dorsey mixes in Sparq scores with positional value and film.
Can't say enough I like Dorsey, but he does strike me as a guy who could let his ego get in the way. He was not shy about saying he didn't care about analytics, then he'd make a comment that shows he does, in fact, care. As does every GM. It's so funny hearing "football guys" try and dismiss analytics.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And why did KC fire Dorsey?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, but we are going in circles. Even if I stipulate it "doesn't take much talent" the fact is most GMs wouldn't have the stones to try it. Think Dorsey, if unemployed, would have come to work here in 2016?

You keep bringing up the bad teams as though it's a negative. You'd have preferred more 3-13 or 4-12 seasons and perhaps no Garrett nor Baker?

Also, do you really not get Sashi was not the GM? He was not the one most responsible for picking players? He listened to his scouts - led by Berry I would think. Only broke ties if needed. why else would someone hire Berry as their GM?

Curious....what would you have them done differently that you are sure would not hinder them being where they are now?
Yeah, I think Dorsey definitely would've come here in 2016. No questions asked. We still had a lot of cap space, and we had the #2 pick in the draft. It might've been a different in terms of what players are currently on the Browns, but I think we would probably be a really good team right now. One thing about Dorsey is he's unpredictable and keeps his decisions close to the vest, so who knows who he would've gone after. I know he would've cleaned house on some of our shitty 2016 players to create even more space, and I fully believe we'd be a really good team right now.

Again, it's not about if what Sashi did didn't help us. It's about giving him as much credit as Dorsey just because he tanked. There's obviously a second side to that coin, and he wasn't thought highly enough of to keep around once the tanking was complete and the rebuild started.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't seem to get this.....I'm not one of those guys who thinks everyone must be great or suck. Black, white, 100% one way or the other.

I think Dorsey is an excellent GM. But without the teardown and extra picks there is probably no Baker, Ward or Chubb for Dorsey to pick. Seems you'd have preferred more 4-12 seasons and drafted the QB who fell to them.

I am 100% sure if they took Wentz and he had the same injuries you would rip Sashi for taking an injured QB from ND State after he probably led us to seasons of 3-6 wins.

The Coleman pick? A disaster but really the only bad pick based on where they picked I can think of. But, again, I think the draft was more on Berry (good and bad).
Oh I get it perfectly fine. My problem is acting as if he deserves the same amount of credit as Dorsey, or that he was somehow doing some brilliant thing. He was tanking, big deal. That doesn't take some intricate knowledge or ability.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We'll see with Dorsey. He's proven that he has no problem with getting rid of players that others might not if it's for the greater good, a la Zeitler or Peppers (coming off a strong season).

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And why did KC fire Dorsey?
Honestly, because they're idiots. He built their team that was a LB being offsides by 3 inches away from being in the Super Bowl.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't say enough I like Dorsey, but he does strike me as a guy who could let his ego get in the way. He was not shy about saying he didn't care about analytics, then he'd make a comment that shows he does, in fact, care. As does every GM. It's so funny hearing "football guys" try and dismiss analytics.
He cares about analytics obviously but there is a difference of looking at analytics and actually understanding analytics.

PFF says that Dwayne Haskins' profile is similar to Rosen coming out. I saw some analytics recently that said that Haskins had the most balanced accuracy profile since Andrew Luck. I've seen people suggest that Kyler Murray is that best thrower in the draft on top of being the best runner.

Math is intentionally misleading. It can only be used to explain things if you have the context behind it. There is no replacement for actually knowing football.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
do you really not understand he was not the GM?
To answer your question, because someone had to be the scapegoat since they were keeping Hue.
If he wasn't the GM, then why is he even in this discussion when we're talking about our current GM? Sounds like if you acknowledge he didn't have the same role Dorsey does, then you're comparing apples to oranges.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the beauty of Dorsey. He'll say whatever he wants just to give people an answer, but at the end of the day only he knows how his brain works and what moves he's going to make. I love it.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think Dorsey definitely would've come here in 2016. No questions asked. We still had a lot of cap space, and we had the #2 pick in the draft. It might've been a different in terms of what players are currently on the Browns, but I think we would probably be a really good team right now. One thing about Dorsey is he's unpredictable and keeps his decisions close to the vest, so who knows who he would've gone after. I know he would've cleaned house on some of our shitty 2016 players to create even more space, and I fully believe we'd be a really good team right now.

Again, it's not about if what Sashi did didn't help us. It's about giving him as much credit as Dorsey just because he tanked. There's obviously a second side to that coin, and he wasn't thought highly enough of to keep around once the tanking was complete and the rebuild started.
we'll have to agree to disagree on whether Dorsey would have come in 2016.

Who gave Sashi "more credit"? I only tried to explain it was absurd to not think what he did helped get us to where we are. It was instrumental. You keep saying how doing what he did is so easy, yet no one before him tried it here and most current GMs would still rather overpay FAs to go from bad to mediocre.

Tell me, who are the shitty 2016 draft picks you'd dump not named Coleman?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I get it perfectly fine. My problem is acting as if he deserves the same amount of credit as Dorsey, or that he was somehow doing some brilliant thing. He was tanking, big deal. That doesn't take some intricate knowledge or ability.
I wonder how many times you will say this before realizing most GMs don't have the stones to do it and would rateher try to be mediocre......often without a QB.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he wasn't the GM, then why is he even in this discussion when we're talking about our current GM? Sounds like if you acknowledge he didn't have the same role Dorsey does, then you're comparing apples to oranges.
Because you had the absurd notion to think he sucked at what he did.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the beauty of Dorsey. He'll say whatever he wants just to give people an answer, but at the end of the day only he knows how his brain works and what moves he's going to make. I love it.
I do love the guy but if he makes a foolish comment I'd point it out. You seem to want to believe everything he's done has been perfect, and Sashi did nothing right.

He actually said once he doesn't care about analytics then said he looks at accuracy and hand size (among other traits) in a QB.

My point was more towards all those football guys who say they don't care about analytics. They crack me up. If this were true they wouldn't need a great deal of what goes on at the combine.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we'll have to agree to disagree on whether Dorsey would have come in 2016.

Who gave Sashi "more credit"? I only tried to explain it was absurd to not think what he did helped get us to where we are. It was instrumental. You keep saying how doing what he did is so easy, yet no one before him tried it here and most current GMs would still rather overpay FAs to go from bad to mediocre.

Tell me, who are the shitty 2016 draft picks you'd dump not named Coleman?
I'm saying giving him more credit than he's due. People trying to say Dorsey's only been good because of what Sashi did are really belittling the greatness of the moves Dorsey has made. And in the past, the Browns have absolutely traded back to get draft capital while not spending money. The problem is, when it was time to use the picks, they were used horribly. Look at Ray Farmer for a perfect example of this.

Yes, his tanking allowed us to get the picks we got. My point is, doing nothing isn't commendable. It's just doing nothing. Thank you to Sashi for coming in and dismantling our team.

Regarding the 2016 draft, literally everyone but Schobert and Higgins would've been better used another way. You're excluding Coleman, but that was a phenomenal whiff. Ogbah is fine, but I would much, much rather have Xavien Howard, Jaylon Smith, Hunter Henry, or Chris Jones, who were taken shortly after. The rest of the picks were total busts who contributed nothing.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder how many times you will say this before realizing most GMs don't have the stones to do it and would rateher try to be mediocre......often without a QB.
Again, my question - if Sashi was so smart and did such a great job, wouldn't he still be with Cleveland? He tanked. I get it. Do you think he did it with the knowledge he was going to get fired right away? My guess is no.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because you had the absurd notion to think he sucked at what he did.
If we're comparing him to Dorsey, then we're thinking of him as the GM. If he was the Browns GM right now, we wouldn't be anywhere close to what we are now.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do love the guy but if he makes a foolish comment I'd point it out. You seem to want to believe everything he's done has been perfect, and Sashi did nothing right.

He actually said once he doesn't care about analytics then said he looks at accuracy and hand size (among other traits) in a QB.

My point was more towards all those football guys who say they don't care about analytics. They crack me up. If this were true they wouldn't need a great deal of what goes on at the combine.
Oh absolutely. I think you have to take what these guys say with a grain of salt. They're not going to be completely honest, because once you do that, people are then able to get a read on you and you aren't as effective. Part of why he's successful is that he's unpredictable.