• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 2019 NFL Free Agency/Trade Thread

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is, when it was time to use the picks, they were used horribly.
Sometimes this is just flat out luck. The Rams GM Snead got the RG3 windfall and totally blew it. Then as the team transitioned to LA, he started nailing all of his picks.

I think there was a reddit post recently that was like 'Dorsey is great but you have to give credit to the previous GMs' and it got 5000ish upvotes. Most people acknowledge that Dorsey is a good GM but he isnt a superhero. The reason most GMs suffer over a long period of time is because you're relying on millionaires in their 20s to improve, stay healthy and contribute and you have every system in the NFL designed for parity.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm saying giving him more credit than he's due. People trying to say Dorsey's only been good because of what Sashi did are really belittling the greatness of the moves Dorsey has made. And in the past, the Browns have absolutely traded back to get draft capital while not spending money. The problem is, when it was time to use the picks, they were used horribly. Look at Ray Farmer for a perfect example of this.

Yes, his tanking allowed us to get the picks we got. My point is, doing nothing isn't commendable. It's just doing nothing. Thank you to Sashi for coming in and dismantling our team.

Regarding the 2016 draft, literally everyone but Schobert and Higgins would've been better used another way. You're excluding Coleman, but that was a phenomenal whiff. Ogbah is fine, but I would much, much rather have Xavien Howard, Jaylon Smith, Hunter Henry, or Chris Jones, who were taken shortly after. The rest of the picks were total busts who contributed nothing.
I've never heard anyone say Dorsey is only good because of what Sashi did. I've heard far more, though, dismiss Sashi's work and say he was awful at his job which is absurd.

Never said Ray Farmer was a good GM, so not sure why his name is being brought up (though we have come to learn he was no on board with Gilbert or Manziel picks).

Not sure how many times you will say doing nothing was so easy knowing so many others would not try this approach. You think Dorsey has the same success if not left with all the cap space, along with 1 and 4 selections as well as an extra high pick in round 2?

something was wrong with the Nassib pick? Did you sour on him because Dorsey foolishly cut him? Hell, even Kessler, picked 93rd in the draft, was used by Jville over the #5 pick in the draft. Every team makes mistakes....a lot of them.

You get you get to do this after the fact, right? Dorsey's first pick was Eric Fisher (and he overpaid to keep him). Do you think with hindsight we couldn't come up with a number of better players he could have taken? And the fact remains based on where they were taken, coleman is really the only pick anyone should call a bust.

And what about the 2017 draft? Garrett and Njoku seem like good picks. Didn't keep Peppers or Kizer but used them to get us Randall and help get us OBJ. Yes, I get #1 pick was the big piece but would think it means they like Peppers.

How about when they tried to fix the O-line in FA? They signed Zeitler and Tretter. Dorsey spent big money on Hubbard.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, my question - if Sashi was so smart and did such a great job, wouldn't he still be with Cleveland? He tanked. I get it. Do you think he did it with the knowledge he was going to get fired right away? My guess is no.
Couldn't the same be said of Dorsey in KC?

Sashi was a scapegoat.

Let me guess....you were also among the many who ripped him for not getting the McCarron trade done. No doubt you'd have ripped him (rightfully so) if he did let that trade go through.

Amiright?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh absolutely. I think you have to take what these guys say with a grain of salt. They're not going to be completely honest, because once you do that, people are then able to get a read on you and you aren't as effective. Part of why he's successful is that he's unpredictable.
Also something I find comical (sorry). Pretty much ALL FOs keep things close to the vest.

But I do agree it's silly these fans believe so much about what they hear before the draft. The angst we heard when Friend of Dorsey said we'd take Allen was priceless.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes this is just flat out luck. The Rams GM Snead got the RG3 windfall and totally blew it. Then as the team transitioned to LA, he started nailing all of his picks.

I think there was a reddit post recently that was like 'Dorsey is great but you have to give credit to the previous GMs' and it got 5000ish upvotes. Most people acknowledge that Dorsey is a good GM but he isnt a superhero. The reason most GMs suffer over a long period of time is because you're relying on millionaires in their 20s to improve, stay healthy and contribute and you have every system in the NFL designed for parity.
Look at the Chiefs' best players:

Mahomes - Dorsey loved him and traded up for him and caught flack for it. Now he's the MVP.

Tyreek Hill - 5th rd pick

Travis Kelce - 3rd rd pick

Chris Jones - 2nd rd pick

Kareem Hunt (before the incident) - 3rd rd pick

Damian Williams (Hunt fill-in) - UDFA journeyman that he grabbed that other GMs (including NE) passed on

He did great things there without great draft picks. He was instrumental in helping build the Packers teams that were fantastic throughout the 2000s. Success follows him everywhere he goes. I have little doubt that had he come to Cleveland in 2016, we'd be a pretty good team right now at least.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at the Chiefs' best players:

Mahomes - Dorsey loved him and traded up for him and caught flack for it. Now he's the MVP.

Tyreek Hill - 5th rd pick

Travis Kelce - 3rd rd pick

Chris Jones - 2nd rd pick

Kareem Hunt (before the incident) - 3rd rd pick

Damian Williams (Hunt fill-in) - UDFA journeyman that he grabbed that other GMs (including NE) passed on

He did great things there without great draft picks. He was instrumental in helping build the Packers teams that were fantastic throughout the 2000s. Success follows him everywhere he goes. I have little doubt that had he come to Cleveland in 2016, we'd be a pretty good team right now at least.
sorry but I think you are just proving my point that in your mind he can do nothing wrong (and Sashi nothing right).

How many drafts did he have in KC? 4? And you found 5 stud picks. Don't know how true, but I've also heard Reid was a driving force on Mahomes. We know why Hill was available, but I do give him credit for being willing to take a chance on guys like this...especially in mid-late rounds.

Calling him "instrumental" in building GB also seems absurd.

what would you say about a pick in rounds 2 and 3 by Sashi and the boys who barely or never saw the field as rookies like Corbett and Thomas (I do think Corbett will be fine)?

In the Browns resurgence last year 14 of 22 starters were either drafted by the previous regime, signed as FAs or a guy we traded for using players acquired by previous regime.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never heard anyone say Dorsey is only good because of what Sashi did. I've heard far more, though, dismiss Sashi's work and say he was awful at his job which is absurd.

Never said Ray Farmer was a good GM, so not sure why his name is being brought up (though we have come to learn he was no on board with Gilbert or Manziel picks).

Not sure how many times you will say doing nothing was so easy knowing so many others would not try this approach. You think Dorsey has the same success if not left with all the cap space, along with 1 and 4 selections as well as an extra high pick in round 2?

something was wrong with the Nassib pick? Did you sour on him because Dorsey foolishly cut him? Hell, even Kessler, picked 93rd in the draft, was used by Jville over the #5 pick in the draft. Every team makes mistakes....a lot of them.

You get you get to do this after the fact, right? Dorsey's first pick was Eric Fisher (and he overpaid to keep him). Do you think with hindsight we couldn't come up with a number of better players he could have taken? And the fact remains based on where they were taken, coleman is really the only pick anyone should call a bust.

And what about the 2017 draft? Garrett and Njoku seem like good picks. Didn't keep Peppers or Kizer but used them to get us Randall and help get us OBJ. Yes, I get #1 pick was the big piece but would think it means they like Peppers.

How about when they tried to fix the O-line in FA? They signed Zeitler and Tretter. Dorsey spent big money on Hubbard.
I've seen it quite a bit on Twitter, people saying things like "Let's be real, Dorsey is only doing well in Cleveland because of Sashi". Plenty of people are saying the Browns' current situation is more on Sashi than Dorsey.

I brought up Farmer because you were saying you don't see teams do what Sashi did, but the Browns did it themselves earlier this decade. The problem was, Farmer wasn't a good GM and did nothing with the picks and money we had. Dorsey is decidedly not squandering anything. His 2018 draft class has the looks of one of the best classes of this decade, if not more.

Fisher was a miss, but I've never said Dorsey is 100% perfect all the time. Coleman was a massive bust, but almost everyone else was also worthless. And Nassib was a decent player who had no place on our roster. Keeping him would've made no difference, and had he not been cut last year, he'd obviously be gone now since we got Vernon.

Garrett was a no-brainer pick, so I'm not giving anyone credit there. He was the unanimous pick that any person would've made. Njoku has the looks of a promising tight end, we'll see if he gets it together. I give them credit for Ogunjobi, he's a good player from the middle rounds. The Kizer trade was all Dorsey. He convinced them to take a horrible QB, and had the intelligence to realize they were wasting Randall by playing him out of position. That was a genius move. The final 3 picks are duds, but whatever.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't the same be said of Dorsey in KC?

Sashi was a scapegoat.

Let me guess....you were also among the many who ripped him for not getting the McCarron trade done. No doubt you'd have ripped him (rightfully so) if he did let that trade go through.

Amiright?
No, the same couldn't be said of Dorsey because he was doing literally the exact opposite of Sashi. Rather than tanking, he was successfully building a Super Bowl caliber roster. Again, they were idiots to fire him, but it's worked great for us.

I did not rip him for the McCarron deal. I thought a 2 and a 3 were way too high. I thought McCarron could be a decent pro (and have said as much on this board), but not worth that much.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sorry but I think you are just proving my point that in your mind he can do nothing wrong (and Sashi nothing right).

How many drafts did he have in KC? 4? And you found 5 stud picks. Don't know how true, but I've also heard Reid was a driving force on Mahomes. We know why Hill was available, but I do give him credit for being willing to take a chance on guys like this...especially in mid-late rounds.

Calling him "instrumental" in building GB also seems absurd.

what would you say about a pick in rounds 2 and 3 by Sashi and the boys who barely or never saw the field as rookies like Corbett and Thomas (I do think Corbett will be fine)?

In the Browns resurgence last year 14 of 22 starters were either drafted by the previous regime, signed as FAs or a guy we traded for using players acquired by previous regime.
I'm pointing out why he's a great GM. Again, as I've stated before, I don't think he's 100% perfect, but what's wrong with giving credit where it's due for making smart draft picks? There are probably plenty of more players that he either drafted or signed that were critical to their success, but I honestly don't know enough about their roster.

How is it absurd to say that the Director of College Scouting for the entire decade wasn't instrumental in building their team?

I think Corbett will be fine, and all indications from the team are that he's ready to take over. Thomas, we'll see. Again, I'm not putting it on Dorsey to hit on 100% of his picks.

In the Browns resurgence last year, most of the main players responsible for it were from Dorsey. Baker, Chubb, Landry, Ward, Randall were all Dorsey's doing. I know those weren't the only responsible guys, but it's foolish to say the guys he brought in weren't the main reason.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen it quite a bit on Twitter, people saying things like "Let's be real, Dorsey is only doing well in Cleveland because of Sashi". Plenty of people are saying the Browns' current situation is more on Sashi than Dorsey.

I brought up Farmer because you were saying you don't see teams do what Sashi did, but the Browns did it themselves earlier this decade. The problem was, Farmer wasn't a good GM and did nothing with the picks and money we had. Dorsey is decidedly not squandering anything. His 2018 draft class has the looks of one of the best classes of this decade, if not more.

Fisher was a miss, but I've never said Dorsey is 100% perfect all the time. Coleman was a massive bust, but almost everyone else was also worthless. And Nassib was a decent player who had no place on our roster. Keeping him would've made no difference, and had he not been cut last year, he'd obviously be gone now since we got Vernon.

Garrett was a no-brainer pick, so I'm not giving anyone credit there. He was the unanimous pick that any person would've made. Njoku has the looks of a promising tight end, we'll see if he gets it together. I give them credit for Ogunjobi, he's a good player from the middle rounds. The Kizer trade was all Dorsey. He convinced them to take a horrible QB, and had the intelligence to realize they were wasting Randall by playing him out of position. That was a genius move. The final 3 picks are duds, but whatever.
I would definitely call those comments absurd, as well, but I hear far more complaints about Sashi than I do Dorsey.

Farmer did not do what Sashi did. come on. Farmer was busy signing the Donte Whitners of the world to win 3-6 games as opposed to bottoming out. Not even comparable.

Really all you do is continue to prove my point. Everything Dorsey, good..Sashi bad.

Garrett a no-brainer pick even though some were saying take a QB. And, of course, it couldn't be GB thought Kizer was a decent player it had to be Doesey pulled some jedi mind trick to get them to take him. Hilarious. Though I agree it was a great trade.

You don't think Nassib might be better to have on the roster over Chad Thomas (a higher pick) who couldn't even get on the field? He's still in his rookie deal.

Hate doing this as I like the guy, but Dorsey has been in charge of 5 drafts and other than Kelce, Ford, Peters, Hill, Mahomes and Hunt it's been mostly garbage. 6 players in 5 drafts. 2 of the solid picks were troubled kids he took risks on.

I happen to agree his 2018 pick is one of the best I can think of. Would add besides Chubb, Ward, Garrett I like Avery and Callaway a lot.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, the same couldn't be said of Dorsey because he was doing literally the exact opposite of Sashi. Rather than tanking, he was successfully building a Super Bowl caliber roster. Again, they were idiots to fire him, but it's worked great for us.

I did not rip him for the McCarron deal. I thought a 2 and a 3 were way too high. I thought McCarron could be a decent pro (and have said as much on this board), but not worth that much.
Dorsey was doing so well he was fired. Why is that?

I'm sure you saw Sashi get ripped for his "gaffe" when in fact he did us a huge favor. And there is no way an attorney who had made 20+ trades did not know how to complete the paperwork...but that didn't stop his critics from going nuts.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pointing out why he's a great GM. Again, as I've stated before, I don't think he's 100% perfect, but what's wrong with giving credit where it's due for making smart draft picks? There are probably plenty of more players that he either drafted or signed that were critical to their success, but I honestly don't know enough about their roster.

How is it absurd to say that the Director of College Scouting for the entire decade wasn't instrumental in building their team?

I think Corbett will be fine, and all indications from the team are that he's ready to take over. Thomas, we'll see. Again, I'm not putting it on Dorsey to hit on 100% of his picks.

In the Browns resurgence last year, most of the main players responsible for it were from Dorsey. Baker, Chubb, Landry, Ward, Randall were all Dorsey's doing. I know those weren't the only responsible guys, but it's foolish to say the guys he brought in weren't the main reason.
I also think he's a very good GM. We only disagree in your criticism of sashi, Paul D, etc.

Chubb and Ward were picks acquired for Dorsey. You want to say "but Dorsey made them"? No disagreement. But if they are not acquired for him he can't make them. Randall acquired in trade for a Sashi player.

You don't think the O-line, D-line (the trenches) or LBs matter? Top players from those units were not acquired by Dorsey.

Heard a draft guy I like (but cannot recall name) say after the draft he had Corbett with a first round grade and could be a solid guard or maybe center for 10 years. Hope he's right as that makes the Vernon trade even better.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would definitely call those comments absurd, as well, but I hear far more complaints about Sashi than I do Dorsey.

Farmer did not do what Sashi did. come on. Farmer was busy signing the Donte Whitners of the world to win 3-6 games as opposed to bottoming out. Not even comparable.

Really all you do is continue to prove my point. Everything Dorsey, good..Sashi bad.

Garrett a no-brainer pick even though some were saying take a QB. And, of course, it couldn't be GB thought Kizer was a decent player it had to be Doesey pulled some jedi mind trick to get them to take him. Hilarious. Though I agree it was a great trade.

You don't think Nassib might be better to have on the roster over Chad Thomas (a higher pick) who couldn't even get on the field? He's still in his rookie deal.

Hate doing this as I like the guy, but Dorsey has been in charge of 5 drafts and other than Kelce, Ford, Peters, Hill, Mahomes and Hunt it's been mostly garbage. 6 players in 5 drafts. 2 of the solid picks were troubled kids he took risks on.

I happen to agree his 2018 pick is one of the best I can think of. Would add besides Chubb, Ward, Garrett I like Avery and Callaway a lot.
I know Farmer didn't. I wasn't comparing him to Sashi, because Sashi was only there for the tanking. Farmer had picks and money and squandered it. Again, my point was that Cleveland did a similar thing in this same decade, and it went horribly. And no, I'm not proving any point that you think I am. Sashi tore the team down and it's worked great. My point is he's not responsible for the subsequent draft picks, signings, and trades that Dorsey has pulled off. If they thought Sashi was capable of doing these sort of things, they would've kept him.

Nassib didn't do anything in Cleveland, so I understand cutting him. In two years with the team, he was largely an afterthought. The fact that he had a decent year in TB doesn't mean much. He was a guy from the prior regime who hadn't shown much of anything, so he was cut. Happens all the time.

Dorsey has been in charge of 5 drafts (4 in KC, 1 in CLE), and in those 5 drafts, he's gotten Mahomes, Kelce, Ford, Peters, Hunt, Hill, Chris Jones (elite DT), Steven Nelson (good CB, just got a big contract from PIT), Baker, Ward, Chubb, Avery, and Calloway. Guys like Corbett and Tanoh Kpassagnon could still be good players. So in 5 drafts, that's 13 good to elite players, and 2 more promising guys who are just getting going. Show me another GM who has done that well in the draft over the last 5 years.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dorsey was doing so well he was fired. Why is that?

I'm sure you saw Sashi get ripped for his "gaffe" when in fact he did us a huge favor. And there is no way an attorney who had made 20+ trades did not know how to complete the paperwork...but that didn't stop his critics from going nuts.
Why was he fired? I've said it twice already. Kansas City was idiotic. It was a stupid move.

I wasn't one of the people that ripped Sashi, but one question: if he knew how to complete the paperwork, why did anything even come out about it in the first place? Why didn't he just come out to begin with and turn the trade down? Doesn't make much sense.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know Farmer didn't. I wasn't comparing him to Sashi, because Sashi was only there for the tanking. Farmer had picks and money and squandered it. Again, my point was that Cleveland did a similar thing in this same decade, and it went horribly. And no, I'm not proving any point that you think I am. Sashi tore the team down and it's worked great. My point is he's not responsible for the subsequent draft picks, signings, and trades that Dorsey has pulled off. If they thought Sashi was capable of doing these sort of things, they would've kept him.

Nassib didn't do anything in Cleveland, so I understand cutting him. In two years with the team, he was largely an afterthought. The fact that he had a decent year in TB doesn't mean much. He was a guy from the prior regime who hadn't shown much of anything, so he was cut. Happens all the time.

Dorsey has been in charge of 5 drafts (4 in KC, 1 in CLE), and in those 5 drafts, he's gotten Mahomes, Kelce, Ford, Peters, Hunt, Hill, Chris Jones (elite DT), Steven Nelson (good CB, just got a big contract from PIT), Baker, Ward, Chubb, Avery, and Calloway. Guys like Corbett and Tanoh Kpassagnon could still be good players. So in 5 drafts, that's 13 good to elite players, and 2 more promising guys who are just getting going. Show me another GM who has done that well in the draft over the last 5 years.
Mostly agree, but not that simple. As mentioned, it was clearly Berry in charge of the picks with Sashi there to break ties. If not, why would someone hire Berry as their GM?

Pretty clear Sashi was the scapegoat for 1-31 as someone had to be and they kept Hue so he wasn't an option. I think the guy is brilliant so would like if he could have been kept in some role (not above Dorsey, of course). That said, I guess possible Paul D was as or more responsible for many of the moves that helped set up Dorsey (he was retained, so assume Dorsey liked his work).

I get why he was cut, but always a concern of mine when guys use ego in deciding what moves to make. Cannot tell me Nassib could not have helped more than Thomas last year. Hoping trading Zeitler was not the same thing...not his guy and Corbett is.

Ford, Peters, Hunt so good/great they were all let go or traded as I'm sure you know.Pretty much ALL FAs get big deals so that does nothing for me when it comes to Nelson.

Sashi had all of 2 drafts if you think he was drafting. I'd say they came out with good to elite in Garrett, Njoku, Peppers, Ogunjobi, Higgins and Shoebert. 6 in 2 is better than 13 in 5 isn't it? Though I agree Dorsey had more elite guys....however, he also had quite a bit of experience before he took over as KC GM, right? Sashi had no experience.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also think he's a very good GM. We only disagree in your criticism of sashi, Paul D, etc.

Chubb and Ward were picks acquired for Dorsey. You want to say "but Dorsey made them"? No disagreement. But if they are not acquired for him he can't make them. Randall acquired in trade for a Sashi player.

You don't think the O-line, D-line (the trenches) or LBs matter? Top players from those units were not acquired by Dorsey.

Heard a draft guy I like (but cannot recall name) say after the draft he had Corbett with a first round grade and could be a solid guard or maybe center for 10 years. Hope he's right as that makes the Vernon trade even better.
I am not criticizing them for tanking. I'm not. I'm saying it doesn't take some huge mastermind intelligence to do it. Are you going to tell me right now that they were tanking because they knew they were going to get fired so someone better could come in? If not, then you think they believed they were going to be around for the rebuild. Clearly that wasn't going to happen, so how does that make them valuable people? They were pawns. What they did was a good thing, but if they were truly intelligent, valuable people, they'd still be around.

Acquiring draft picks was a good move by them. Trading down for more picks is something that's happened hundreds of times over the years, so simply acquiring picks isn't some amazing thing. Doing something with the picks is what makes you successful, and that's what Dorsey is doing.

Yes, the lines and LBs matter. I never said they didn't. However, our defensive line and LBs didn't exactly play great last year, and they definitely weren't what won us games.

I love that thought on Corbett. If he can be even 80% what Zeitler was, I think we're in great shape.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why was he fired? I've said it twice already. Kansas City was idiotic. It was a stupid move.

I wasn't one of the people that ripped Sashi, but one question: if he knew how to complete the paperwork, why did anything even come out about it in the first place? Why didn't he just come out to begin with and turn the trade down? Doesn't make much sense.
I think they were throwing Hue a bone who was probably complaining he couldn't win. And then....oops.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not criticizing them for tanking. I'm not. I'm saying it doesn't take some huge mastermind intelligence to do it. Are you going to tell me right now that they were tanking because they knew they were going to get fired so someone better could come in? If not, then you think they believed they were going to be around for the rebuild. Clearly that wasn't going to happen, so how does that make them valuable people? They were pawns. What they did was a good thing, but if they were truly intelligent, valuable people, they'd still be around.

Acquiring draft picks was a good move by them. Trading down for more picks is something that's happened hundreds of times over the years, so simply acquiring picks isn't some amazing thing. Doing something with the picks is what makes you successful, and that's what Dorsey is doing.

Yes, the lines and LBs matter. I never said they didn't. However, our defensive line and LBs didn't exactly play great last year, and they definitely weren't what won us games.

I love that thought on Corbett. If he can be even 80% what Zeitler was, I think we're in great shape.
well, Sashi did say when hired the plan was to hire a credible GM. with the work they did and how it was left that was able to be done. As mentioned, Haslem thought they had to have a scapegoat and he didn't want it to be Hue. Seems that was a mistake.

O-line sure a reason they won and the interior was probably the strongest part...though props for dorsey taking the chance on Robinson.

FWIW, the draft dude also said he loved Harrison so maybe he comes on at some point.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mostly agree, but not that simple. As mentioned, it was clearly Berry in charge of the picks with Sashi there to break ties. If not, why would someone hire Berry as their GM?

Pretty clear Sashi was the scapegoat for 1-31 as someone had to be and they kept Hue so he wasn't an option. I think the guy is brilliant so would like if he could have been kept in some role (not above Dorsey, of course). That said, I guess possible Paul D was as or more responsible for many of the moves that helped set up Dorsey (he was retained, so assume Dorsey liked his work).

I get why he was cut, but always a concern of mine when guys use ego in deciding what moves to make. Cannot tell me Nassib could not have helped more than Thomas last year. Hoping trading Zeitler was not the same thing...not his guy and Corbett is.

Ford, Peters, Hunt so good/great they were all let go or traded as I'm sure you know.Pretty much ALL FAs get big deals so that does nothing for me when it comes to Nelson.

Sashi had all of 2 drafts if you think he was drafting. I'd say they came out with good to elite in Garrett, Njoku, Peppers, Ogunjobi, Higgins and Shoebert. 6 in 2 is better than 13 in 5 isn't it? Though I agree Dorsey had more elite guys....however, he also had quite a bit of experience before he took over as KC GM, right? Sashi had no experience.
I'm honestly not privy to exactly who was calling the shots in the FO with Sashi, Paul, and Berry there, so it's hard to say who was the one that made all these moves. Bottom line is - while what they did was helpful for now, I am not giving them anywhere remotely close to the credit I'll give Dorsey, because I don't think tanking is anywhere near as difficult as actually building a team up. That's what Dorsey is doing. In 13 months on the job, he's taken a team that was 0-16 and turned them into a legit SB contender on paper. That's amazing. And again, previous Browns GMs have had money and draft capital and done nothing with them. More than that, Dorsey actually has done a good enough jobs that he has big name guy excited to come play here. That was definitely never the case before him.

Come on. Ford, Peters, and Hunt are studs. Hunt doesn't belong in this position because he was let go because of something that happened off the field and after he was drafted. I'm not sure how this proves any point.

What do the players have to do with Sashi? You've already said he wasn't the guy picking them. Also, FTR, Higgins is not in the class as the guys I mentioned with Dorsey. Chris Conley in KC has better career stats, so if you're adding Higgins, I'm adding Conley. Also, to be fair, Ogunjobi graded out as an average player last year. I think he has a lot of potential and will continue to improve, but he's not a guaranteed stud.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they were throwing Hue a bone who was probably complaining he couldn't win. And then....oops.
That'd be pretty sad if it was the case. At any rate, I was then and am now still grateful that trade never took place. I would've given up maybe a 4th for him, but definitely not a 2nd and a 3rd, so I have no idea how that compensation package ever even took shape.