• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 2019 NFL Free Agency/Trade Thread

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, Sashi did say when hired the plan was to hire a credible GM. with the work they did and how it was left that was able to be done. As mentioned, Haslem thought they had to have a scapegoat and he didn't want it to be Hue. Seems that was a mistake.

O-line sure a reason they won and the interior was probably the strongest part...though props for dorsey taking the chance on Robinson.

FWIW, the draft dude also said he loved Harrison so maybe he comes on at some point.
OL definitely was, and they really improved as the year went on. I'm gonna give Kitchens a lot of credit there. After he was promoted to OC, it was like they were a completely different unit. My hope is they continue at the level, including Robinson, who could maybe turn into a total steal. If Harrison comes around, that'd just be a bonus at this point. You were right about Hubbard, though. He regressed last year from his final year in PIT.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm honestly not privy to exactly who was calling the shots in the FO with Sashi, Paul, and Berry there, so it's hard to say who was the one that made all these moves. Bottom line is - while what they did was helpful for now, I am not giving them anywhere remotely close to the credit I'll give Dorsey, because I don't think tanking is anywhere near as difficult as actually building a team up. That's what Dorsey is doing. In 13 months on the job, he's taken a team that was 0-16 and turned them into a legit SB contender on paper. That's amazing. And again, previous Browns GMs have had money and draft capital and done nothing with them. More than that, Dorsey actually has done a good enough jobs that he has big name guy excited to come play here. That was definitely never the case before him.

Come on. Ford, Peters, and Hunt are studs. Hunt doesn't belong in this position because he was let go because of something that happened off the field and after he was drafted. I'm not sure how this proves any point.

What do the players have to do with Sashi? You've already said he wasn't the guy picking them. Also, FTR, Higgins is not in the class as the guys I mentioned with Dorsey. Chris Conley in KC has better career stats, so if you're adding Higgins, I'm adding Conley. Also, to be fair, Ogunjobi graded out as an average player last year. I think he has a lot of potential and will continue to improve, but he's not a guaranteed stud.
I've never said Sashi more important. Though I do believe no teardown, no Dorsey. No way to prove this, but just not seeing Dorsey taking a job with a coach forced on him without all that cap space and draft assets.

Not to mention you seem to forget Dorsey had years of experience while Sashi had never been in that role. Do you recall how bad Belichick was here when he was just starting out picking players...along with Ozzie, savage, Dimitroff, etc. Yikes.

But, yeah, I do believe Berry was the main guy when it came to the draft. Sashi and Paul D set up the strategy. And if there were ties to be broken sashi made them. Wish a guy like him was around to tell Butch no when he wanted Warren and no one else did.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That'd be pretty sad if it was the case. At any rate, I was then and am now still grateful that trade never took place. I would've given up maybe a 4th for him, but definitely not a 2nd and a 3rd, so I have no idea how that compensation package ever even took shape.
My God what a disaster that would have been. A 2 and 3 (so no Chubb) for a guy who could leave as a FA.....and was just released? Oh my.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OL definitely was, and they really improved as the year went on. I'm gonna give Kitchens a lot of credit there. After he was promoted to OC, it was like they were a completely different unit. My hope is they continue at the level, including Robinson, who could maybe turn into a total steal. If Harrison comes around, that'd just be a bonus at this point. You were right about Hubbard, though. He regressed last year from his final year in PIT.
True but even Hubbard was OK after Haley was replaced by Kitchens. LeCharles bentley always said if you want better O-line play find a QB who can make quick decisions. Seemed like Kitchens used baker's talents more in that area.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what do you call the guy hiding behind a computer calling the NFL QB a coward?
Do you want me to fly to NO and tell him what I think? Buy the ticket and I'll go no problem... and party it up too on your dollar. :suds:

Opportunities only come so often maybe never at all and he chose to be a backup. It's ridiculous that anyone defends him. Ya maybe in two years he gets a shot may as well be a 100 in the NFL especially at QB...

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
could that be because you have zero chance to ever be a starting QB you feel this way?
Nope most people are too scared or don't grab the bull by the horns and whine later that things never work out. I jump on opportunities whether it be in business or an NFL QB all the same. Losers sit on the sidelines... choose your side wisely.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad Denver was able to sign Bryce Callahan. Definitely an upgrade to the secondary with him and Kareeem Jackson.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope most people are too scared or don't grab the bull by the horns and whine later that things never work out. I jump on opportunities whether it be in business or an NFL QB all the same. Losers sit on the sidelines... choose your side wisely.
Miami is not a good place for a QB. It hasn't been for years. Drew Brees is 40 years old, but Alvin Kamara, Michael Thomas, and a lot of other fantastic players on NO are not. He gets to continue to learn from one of the best QBs of all-time in a city that absolutely loves their team instead of risking going to Miami and seeing his career crash and burn. Miami hasn't had a consistently good QB in years. He's undoubtedly making the smart choice for his career.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miami is not a good place for a QB. It hasn't been for years. Drew Brees is 40 years old, but Alvin Kamara, Michael Thomas, and a lot of other fantastic players on NO are not. He gets to continue to learn from one of the best QBs of all-time in a city that absolutely loves their team instead of risking going to Miami and seeing his career crash and burn. Miami hasn't had a consistently good QB in years. He's undoubtedly making the smart choice for his career.
You can't predict the future anything can happen especially in the NFL. No guarantees he ever has an opportunity to start again. Take it when you can...

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't predict the future anything can happen especially in the NFL. No guarantees he ever has an opportunity to start again. Take it when you can...
You can make educated guesses. Miami has a major lack of talent on offense, while New Orleans is set. He's making a fully guaranteed $7.25m to play for a talented team that's set up for a deep playoff push, and if anything happens to Brees (again, he's 40), now it's Teddy's team. Worst case scenario, he spends one more year learning from an all-time great, makes good money, and then next year he can make a decision depending on what positions available. It sucks to think about it, and I know what it's like, but Miami just isn't a good spot for a QB trying to rejuvenate his career. Odds are, he'll have more value next summer staying with NO than going to Miami and, most likely, having a horrible year.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can make educated guesses. Miami has a major lack of talent on offense, while New Orleans is set. He's making a fully guaranteed $7.25m to play for a talented team that's set up for a deep playoff push, and if anything happens to Brees (again, he's 40), now it's Teddy's team. Worst case scenario, he spends one more year learning from an all-time great, makes good money, and then next year he can make a decision depending on what positions available. It sucks to think about it, and I know what it's like, but Miami just isn't a good spot for a QB trying to rejuvenate his career. Odds are, he'll have more value next summer staying with NO than going to Miami and, most likely, having a horrible year.
You will never convince me that sitting is better than playing and showing what you have. Besides Miami may not be as bad as some think. They have only got rid of mainly old players and bad contracts. My major concern besides QB is the oline it definitely has to be fixed which isn't impossible...

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You will never convince me that sitting is better than playing and showing what you have. Besides Miami may not be as bad as some think. They have only got rid of mainly old players and bad contracts. My major concern besides QB is the oline it definitely has to be fixed which isn't impossible...
Well that's your opinion, but you're by no means an expert on the matter. It's a business first a foremost, and we've seen plenty of QBs flameout by taking a position on a bad team before, so it's smart for him to stay on an elite team and learn from an all-timer. It's not like he's on his last few years, he's still yet to hit his prime. Smart move, and I'm sure it'll help his career immensely.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not to be a dick. BUt so the only thing they got rid of was old guys and bad contracts. and went 7-9. so u lost guys, and have no qb, but are gonna improve?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not to be a dick. BUt so the only thing they got rid of was old guys and bad contracts. and went 7-9. so u lost guys, and have no qb, but are gonna improve?
And we all know young QBs tend to flourish with a poor OL and no truly established playmakers.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you want me to fly to NO and tell him what I think? Buy the ticket and I'll go no problem... and party it up too on your dollar. :suds:

Opportunities only come so often maybe never at all and he chose to be a backup. It's ridiculous that anyone defends him. Ya maybe in two years he gets a shot may as well be a 100 in the NFL especially at QB...
It's ridiculous that a guy who has never spoken to Bridgewater - never mind can only take a snap in the NFL in his dreams - thinks he has a clue what TB should do and calls him a coward. And, really, only because he didn't join the sorry team he cheers for.

Reactions: GNG

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Newsflash - when it comes to making NFL decisions you are on the sidelines.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do we even know if Miami offered him a deal and, if they did, what the offer was?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No guarantees he doesn't. See how that works?