• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 2019 NFL Draft Thread

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were a few of us that had him at the top. He wasn't the majority leader at the top by any means of last year's class but for me personally I thought he had the attitude, work ethic, and leadership combined with decent football skills that would make him into something. Like I said personally watching him at the Senior Bowl practices and being a part of the interviews with him it just made it clear that he was the type of guy everybody gravitated to and would run through a brick wall if asked.
I'm one of the few "regular fans" who will admit I don't have the first clue who the best QBs are coming out of college. Any fan who thinks he does without watching film nor talking to the player is kidding himself (not saying this is you as it seems you do watch film).

Based on what we were hearing I figured Darnold would go #1 but was fine with the Browns taking Baker.....Just wanted them to identify the QB they liked best and grab him #1.

I firmly believe if they wanted to, ESPN could convince fans a guy like Sam Hubbard should be a top 10 pick.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm one of the few "regular fans" who will admit I don't have the first clue who the best QBs are coming out of college. Any fan who thinks he does without watching film nor talking to the player is kidding himself (not saying this is you as it seems you do watch film).

Based on what we were hearing I figured Darnold would go #1 but was fine with the Browns taking Baker.....Just wanted them to identify the QB they liked best and grab him #1.

I firmly believe if they wanted to, ESPN could convince fans a guy like Sam Hubbard should be a top 10 pick.
I've seen almost every one of Drew Locks games. Four in person. I have no clue if he is going to make it in the NFL. I have my NFL comparison but he could end up being better or worse based on any number of variables.

I'll admit that I was one of the people who was skeptical about Mahomes coming out because he did most of his damage in college outside of the pocket and despite his great arm strength I wasn't convinced that his deep ball footwork was all that great. I was optimistic that KC was the perfect spot for him, though.

I'd say even the best draft people only get things right about half of the time. Tape don't lie but everything is still a projection based on a human being that changes just like everyone else.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen almost every one of Drew Locks games. Four in person. I have no clue if he is going to make it in the NFL. I have my NFL comparison but he could end up being better or worse based on any number of variables.

I'll admit that I was one of the people who was skeptical about Mahomes coming out because he did most of his damage in college outside of the pocket and despite his great arm strength I wasn't convinced that his deep ball footwork was all that great. I was optimistic that KC was the perfect spot for him, though.

I'd say even the best draft people only get things right about half of the time. Tape don't lie but everything is still a projection based on a human being that changes just like everyone else.
To be clear, I was not referring to you as one of those clueless fans and it does seem like you put more "work" into this than most.

would say when it comes to QBs actual GMs get it wrong even more than half the time.

The fallacy that fans spew that always gets me is the "don't draft this guy because he played at (pick a school or conference)".

Hopefully, Baker and Mahomes can at least knock the B12 off those lists.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jets looking to trade down but if they can get Quinnen Williams at 3 that would be a great get. If he were to go 2...I look over my options to trade. I'm sure they could get quite a good return.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, Murray measured just over 5'10", and his hand size was 9.5".

So, this pretty much guarantees he makes it in the top 20, right? (Probably higher, but I wanted to be conservative)

Still hope the Bengals don't draft him.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, Murray measured just over 5'10", and his hand size was 9.5".

So, this pretty much guarantees he makes it in the top 20, right? (Probably higher, but I wanted to be conservative)

Still hope the Bengals don't draft him.
He is probably a top 3 pick with those measurements. Bengals aren't getting him

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is probably a top 3 pick with those measurements. Bengals aren't getting him
Thank God.

BTW, if Baker does not have the rookie year that he had, does Murray even get talked about as a first round pick?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank God.

BTW, if Baker does not have the rookie year that he had, does Murray even get talked about as a first round pick?
Yes, but if Baker, Breeze, Wilson and Mahomes all busted then he is playing baseball.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but if Baker, Breeze, Wilson and Mahomes all busted then he is playing baseball.
People had more criticism for Deshaun Watson than this guy. I'd draft him, but in the second round. He's going to be a bust for a top 10 pick.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People had more criticism for Deshaun Watson than this guy. I'd draft him, but in the second round. He's going to be a bust for a top 10 pick.

Not sure how you can say that. He broke most of Bakers records in college and may end up on a better Nfl roster.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how you can say that. He broke most of Bakers records in college and may end up on a better Nfl roster.
Since 2000, how many QBs under 6'1" have gone on to be successful in the NFL? I'll even be loose with the word successful... Start at least 32 games (which would still be a bust for a top 10 pick).

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still have reservations about Murray but only because people are comparing him to Wilson. I think he is less than that but I was under the impression that he was 5'8 with 8 in hands and not real qb measurements when I thought he was risky.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank God.

Maybe not, but before the draft weren't you one of the many who thought because of height, conference or school Baker would fail?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since 2000, how many QBs under 6'1" have gone on to be successful in the NFL? I'll even be loose with the word successful... Start at least 32 games (which would still be a bust for a top 10 pick).
Yes, we had this discussion when you were saying Baker would fail and I'll ask the same thing. What is the % of drafted big QBs who succeed? You really think it's higher than smaller ones?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Baker being good means anything for Murray........but I think each QB should be looked at on his own merit. Past failures or successes by anyone mean nothing.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe not, but before the draft weren't you one of the many who thought because of height, conference or school Baker would fail?
I picked Rosen as the best of the class. Thought Allen was trash, indifferent on Darnold, and didn't think much of Baker. I never ranked them, but I probably would have went Rosen, Darnold, Baker, Allen.

Looks bad now, but we've seen QBs look bad their rookie year, and rebound, just as we've seen QBs come out on fire, only to sizzle. I'll revisit it in a couple years.

There have been 3 QBs under 6'1" do anything since 2000. Brees, Vick, and Wilson. Wilson was the only one under 6'. Murray may break the mold. I wouldn't be the GM to risk a top 10 pick on the potential for a "first ever".

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I picked Rosen as the best of the class. Thought Allen was trash, indifferent on Darnold, and didn't think much of Baker. I never ranked them, but I probably would have went Rosen, Darnold, Baker, Allen.

Looks bad now, but we've seen QBs look bad their rookie year, and rebound, just as we've seen QBs come out on fire, only to sizzle. I'll revisit it in a couple years.

There have been 3 QBs under 6'1" do anything since 2000. Brees, Vick, and Wilson. Wilson was the only one under 6'. Murray may break the mold. I wouldn't be the GM to risk a top 10 pick on the potential for a "first ever".
Agree we cannot be sure, but Baker has accuracy and makes quick decisions. Others who played well then struggled did not have these traits at his level.

Still didn't answer my question, though.......Do you really believe drafted QBs 6-1 or less fail at a higher rate than big QBs?

Don't confuse this with there being more big QBs in the NFL as I realize there are.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which top 5 team has a better roster than Cleveland?

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree we cannot be sure, but Baker has accuracy and makes quick decisions. Others who played well then struggled did not have these traits at his level.

Still didn't answer my question, though.......Do you really believe drafted QBs 6-1 or less fail at a higher rate than big QBs?

Don't confuse this with there being more big QBs in the NFL as I realize there are.
Didn't see that post. I honestly have no clue how the percentages would line up, and really don't care to take an hour or two to do the math (I think you'd have to go year by year). It probably depends on where you draw the line... 6'1" and 6'2" is where you start getting a lot more QBs. Under that, the numbers drop a lot (because you have to be a really good QB to get attention under 6'1").