• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 2010 all draft team

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Both Seattle's safeties make the list. It'd be nice for us to nab a starting CB and S next year. Frankly, might look for more of a true FS and use Reid at SS, but we'll see. I always wanted Goldson at SS with more of a rangy FS, though.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TE and DL are stacked, the rest would be a solid but not spectacular team.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Both Seattle's safeties make the list. It'd be nice for us to nab a starting CB and S next year. Frankly, might look for more of a true FS and use Reid at SS, but we'll see. I always wanted Goldson at SS with more of a rangy FS, though.

no doubt would be nice.

if not a high round CB (all around skills), then at least someone who is really good in coverage? this mid round pick won't be as 'all around', but as long as he sticks like glue to the quick receiver.

Rogers is already showing his age covering the slot.

Baalke has mentioned interchangable safeties the last few years, so if there is a difference between FS and SS, can't be much? it makes sense with today's pass happy NFL, you can't have a Safety (SS) who's bad in coverage. no matter how good he is against the run, he can't be a total liability in coverage.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
if not a high round CB (all around skills), then at least someone who is really good in coverage? this mid round pick won't be as 'all around', but as long as he sticks like glue to the quick receiver.

Not sure many mid round CBs can stick like glue to quick receivers. If they can do that, wouldn't they likely be a high round safety?

Baalke has mentioned interchangable safeties the last few years, so if there is a difference between FS and SS, can't be much? it makes sense with today's pass happy NFL, you can't have a Safety (SS) who's bad in coverage. no matter how good he is against the run, he can't be a total liability in coverage.

IMO Whitner is pretty darn close to being a total liability in coverage. I'd like a more versatile guy than say Trenton Robinson, but I'd take an Earl Thomas coverage type in a second in today's NFL.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
IMO Whitner is pretty darn close to being a total liability in coverage. I'd like a more versatile guy than say Trenton Robinson, but I'd take an Earl Thomas coverage type in a second in today's NFL.

Absolutely. Baalke's done a great job, but sticking with Whitner is a one move I just do not understand. I don't care how good of a "leader" he is if he can't cover a $2 check.

Wish the Niners signed Quintin Jammer. Or even better: I hope the Giants cut Antrel Rolle & the Niners sign him & cut Whitner.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Not sure many mid round CBs can stick like glue to quick receivers. If they can do that, wouldn't they likely be a high round safety?

i'd think some CB's can cover well, but not run support? so unless you can run support too, you can't be a high NFL pick...whether CB or Safety?

no argument Whitner isn't a good cover Safety, and is why we need versatile ones. 'versatile' meaning 'interchangable' safeties, as opposed to FS and SS. defenses have to mix it up where possible, the more you mix, the better you disquise.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
i'd think some CB's can cover well, but not run support? so unless you can run support too, you can't be a high NFL pick...whether CB or Safety?

no argument Whitner isn't a good cover Safety, and is why we need versatile ones. 'versatile' meaning 'interchangable' safeties, as opposed to FS and SS. defenses have to mix it up where possible, the more you mix, the better you disquise.

I just don't agree with that at all. Hell, even 20 years ago a guy like Deion Sanders, who was at best below average in run support, became the hallmark for the position. If anything, playing the run is less important now than it was then. Obviously you want a guy who can do both. But there's no doubt which side of the equation is more significant.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A corner who "sticks like glue to a receiver" could be an awful tackler and worse at stepping up for the run and would still probably be a first rounder.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I just don't agree with that at all. Hell, even 20 years ago a guy like Deion Sanders, who was at best below average in run support, became the hallmark for the position. If anything, playing the run is less important now than it was then. Obviously you want a guy who can do both. But there's no doubt which side of the equation is more significant.

so you're very ok spending our 1st round draft pick next year, on someone who can cover but not tackle?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A corner who "sticks like glue to a receiver" could be an awful tackler and worse at stepping up for the run and would still probably be a first rounder.

same question for you, ok to spend our 1st rounder on this CB who can stick like glue, but can't tackle?

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
same question for you, ok to spend our 1st rounder on this CB who can stick like glue, but can't tackle?

On a shutdown corner? It really depends on my system and whether it can cover up the weakness.

If I don't someone else will. Dominant cover skills are hard to come by and it's extremely unlikely he makes it out of the first.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember, it doesn't matter if you or I would draft him, or think he would be great value for the pick. There will be several teams who do because they can either "fix him" or cover his weaknesses schematically. Tim Tebow was a first round pick despite no NFL level skills. A very good cover corner with weaknesses against the run will not be available for a mid round pick unless teams don't know how good he is in coverage and he's a risk reward type player.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
On a shutdown corner? It really depends on my system and whether it can cover up the weakness.

If I don't someone else will. Dominant cover skills are hard to come by and it's extremely unlikely he makes it out of the first.

ok, so you're willing to spend a 1st rounder on someone who needs covering up? well, i asked for your opinion so that is fine. you didn't really commit but thats ok too.

is there a way to cover up a CB who can't run support?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Remember, it doesn't matter if you or I would draft him, or think he would be great value for the pick. There will be several teams who do because they can either "fix him" or cover his weaknesses schematically. Tim Tebow was a first round pick despite no NFL level skills. A very good cover corner with weaknesses against the run will not be available for a mid round pick unless teams don't know how good he is in coverage and he's a risk reward type player.

my question was for the 49ers, not what someone else would do.

btw - didn't mean to imply i want a deion sanders cover corner in mid round. did mean a CB who is good in coverage, but poor in tackling. else how do you get a solid NB mid round?

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my question was for the 49ers, not what someone else would do.

btw - didn't mean to imply i want a deion sanders cover corner in mid round. did mean a CB who is good in coverage, but poor in tackling. else how do you get a solid NB mid round?

"Stick like glue" implies very good at coverage, so that's how I read it. The niners are too good of a team to reach like that but the point was others will.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok, so you're willing to spend a 1st rounder on someone who needs covering up? well, i asked for your opinion so that is fine. you didn't really commit but thats ok too.

is there a way to cover up a CB who can't run support?

Strong force play from the outside linebacker and almost strictly man coverage with a lot of pressure. Think the jets a year or two back.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
"Stick like glue" implies very good at coverage, so that's how I read it. The niners are too good of a team to reach like that but the point was others will.

yes, i realized it later so mentioned didn't mean to imply 'Deion Sanders'.

you didn't commit to an answer for the 49ers, but thats ok. cause that was MY opinion, the 49ers won't 'reach like that'. was why i asked that question of you too.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Strong force play from the outside linebacker and almost strictly man coverage with a lot of pressure. Think the jets a year or two back.

yeah ok, for the Jets who had Reavis they tried this. how is Reavis in run support?

anyway, my hope is for a starting CB with a high pick, and if it doesn't pan out....at least a better NB for those smaller, quicker WR's. but i wouldn't spend a high pick on a NB, and why i said mid rounder.

my opinion is a solid cover guy who can't run support, is not a 1st rounder.....for any team. if you feel otherwise, no problem here.