• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The “I Really Want Kirk Cousins” Thread

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last December I was having dinner with the only NFL assistant coach I know. The discussion was that the Broncos D wasn’t as dominant as the previous years. His comment was that he still considered Denver’s D as a top three D, if not the top one in the NFL. He proceeded to talk about how utterly demoralizing it is to a defense to continually be put in bad positions due to turnovers and three and outs.

He joked about how their defensive coordinator begged the offensive coordinator to run the ball and use up the clock if he was going to go three and out so at least his D would have 3 minutes to rest. But the biggest issue to him was the psychological wear and tear on a defense when an offense is inept. And we clearly saw and heard that frustration last year.

So what does this have to do with wanting Cousins?
1. Cousins has three year starting experience in the NFL. No rookie will come in early as prepared as he is to face the complexities and speed of NFL defenses. And we still have an extremely good D, and there is no guarantee that three years from now when a drafted rookie has experience, we will still be a top tier D.
2. He’s a proven commodity. By any standard, he is a top 10 NFL QB currently - or certainly close to that. Yes, he’s not won “big” games with the Redskins, but he hasn’t been surrounded by the talent he would have in Denver. (Notbthat he hasn’t had any talent in Washington, but the comparison to defenses just isn’t there.)
3. I’d rather have Cousins and choice of a great player (for instance Chubb or Nelson) at 5 and another very good player at 40 than I would have Barkley, Allen, or Mayfield plus the other good player at 40.
4. As to salary cap concerns, whoever is the latest player to sign is always going to break through the salary ceilings. When Rodgers signs with the Packers, he will break the highest for a QB. That will continue to happen as the salary cap increases, which it did by almost $11MM this year.

Saying all this, there is one QB this year I would take in the draft and be fairly confident in and that is Rosen. If we had the number one pick, I’d not sign Cousins and go with Rosen. I don’t believe there is any way Rosen will be acpvailable at 5, and the cost to move from 5 to 1 is prohibitive.

So that’s my stance ...and I shall not be moved! ;)

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go listen to Derek Wolfe this week on the morning show
about how it sucks to have. A terrible offense always going 3 and out
He doesn’t want 2 more years of the same old same old

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He proceeded to talk about how utterly demoralizing it is to a defense to continually be put in bad positions due to turnovers and three and outs.

He joked about how their defensive coordinator begged the offensive coordinator to run the ball and use up the clock if he was going to go three and out so at least his D would have 3 minutes to rest. But the biggest issue to him was the psychological wear and tear on a defense when an offense is inept. And we clearly saw and heard that frustration last year.

You needed to talk to an NFL coach to figure this out?

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@JasonLaCanfora
Hearing more and more about the Broncos and Case Keenum. The Cousins derby very likely to come down to Jets or Vikings
11:13 AM - Mar 4, 2018

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last December I was having dinner with the only NFL assistant coach I know. The discussion was that the Broncos D wasn’t as dominant as the previous years. His comment was that he still considered Denver’s D as a top three D, if not the top one in the NFL. He proceeded to talk about how utterly demoralizing it is to a defense to continually be put in bad positions due to turnovers and three and outs.

So what does this have to do with wanting Cousins?
1. Cousins has three year starting experience in the NFL. No rookie will come in early as prepared as he is to face the complexities and speed of NFL defenses. And we still have an extremely good D, and there is no guarantee that three years from now when a drafted rookie has experience, we will still be a top tier D.
2. He’s a proven commodity. By any standard, he is a top 10 NFL QB currently - or certainly close to that. Yes, he’s not won “big” games with the Redskins, but he hasn’t been surrounded by the talent he would have in Denver. (Notbthat he hasn’t had any talent in Washington, but the comparison to defenses just isn’t there.)
3. I’d rather have Cousins and choice of a great player (for instance Chubb or Nelson) at 5 and another very good player at 40 than I would have Barkley, Allen, or Mayfield plus the other good player at 40.
4. As to salary cap concerns, whoever is the latest player to sign is always going to break through the salary ceilings. When Rodgers signs with the Packers, he will break the highest for a QB. That will continue to happen as the salary cap increases, which it did by almost $11MM this year.

Saying all this, there is one QB this year I would take in the draft and be fairly confident in and that is Rosen. If we had the number one pick, I’d not sign Cousins and go with Rosen. I don’t believe there is any way Rosen will be acpvailable at 5, and the cost to move from 5 to 1 is prohibitive.

So that’s my stance ...and I shall not be moved! ;)
Who's the assistant?

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Case Keenum does nothing for me
I don’t think it does anything for the fan base either
Elway is paid to make the “right “decision
He can’t afford to get the QB position wrong this time.

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Me either but, figure a 2 yr deal I'd live with. It also puts Allen in the mix or trade up.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like Cousins - my pick. He may not be the best ever, but he is plenty good. Don't waste this D with more crap.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My niece's husband is an assistant with the Jets. He had been on staff of the Bills for three years before that. Jason Vrable.

Nice! Pretty cool to get that type of insight from a first-hand source

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's young, but in my extremely prejudiced thought, he has potential.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,979.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, with Elway's luck he'd revert to the Keenum that played for the Rams. It'd be a minor upgrade IMO but nothing to get excited about.

listopencil

I've Seen Better Days
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to sign Cousins, draft Quenton Nelson in the first, draft the best OT left standing in the second, draft the best potential ILB and RB in the third, BPA after that.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Keenum is the QB we almost have to draft another at 5. Right?

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of like how you had to talk to certain folks on here to learn how to talk to the opposite sex?

Didn't really help. I still have no idea what I'm doing.