• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thank god Stamkos

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally signed a 5 year deal to stay in the pathetic non hockey town of TB. We can now officially put these rumors to bed. Now I'm ready for the fucking hockey season to begin. Of course the Eagles we be playing soon. Great time of the year.

mall3013

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sign and trade to who? Toronto?

mall3013

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What? Flyers cannot afford the salary nor giving up top prospects for him. Where are you hearing this?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What? Flyers cannot afford the salary nor giving up top prospects for him. Where are you hearing this?

it's been phaith's dream all offseason to get stamkos

he's not really hearing it, he's more.. saying it.. haha

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
im surprised no one here isnt a little bit pissed off about this. the guy signed a 5 year 38 million dollar contract. are you fucking kidding me? this is a guy who is arguably the best offensive player in the league playing for less than a million over our highest paid player in danny briere. flyers should have put in an offer sheet here, this is a disgrace that he even accepted that bogus contract. i mean hometown discount is one thing but that is beyond fishy. i wouldnt put it against the brass in the NHL to send out a memo telling to other gm's to back off so that tampa doesnt lose its young star. they are so content with hockey in florida. bottom line, the flyers should have made an offer of an 8 years 70 mil range (minimum) to at least make sure that tampa doesnt get a steal like this. i know that i will get shit and the obvious questions like who would they move and bla bla bla but this kid is a stud and now a rival has him at a discounted and very affordable and worthy contract. /rant

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
D - I do find it kind of weird that he signed for below his worth. There has to be more to that contract than just the $$$ figures.

That makes me wonder..

Do bonuses/gifts/perks have to be announced as part of the contract?? I don't see why it would, but when deals like this come along it just makes me think about all of the "other" benefits of signing a lucrative contract.

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
D - I do find it kind of weird that he signed for below his worth. There has to be more to that contract than just the $$$ figures.

That makes me wonder..

Do bonuses/gifts/perks have to be announced as part of the contract?? I don't see why it would, but when deals like this come along it just makes me think about all of the "other" benefits of signing a lucrative contract.

see i dont know about things like this, someone with more knowledge of their cba would have to chime in. BUT in keeping with just legality of the whole thing, you would assume that the team would have to be liable for paid bonuses under the salary cap constraints.

but as i said, tampa is yet another struggling franchise in the south and they actually have stars on their teams. it wouldnt surprise me one bit if they swept this very suspicious contract under the rug to try and maintain a fan base down there.

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im surprised no one here isnt a little bit pissed off about this. the guy signed a 5 year 38 million dollar contract. are you fucking kidding me? this is a guy who is arguably the best offensive player in the league playing for less than a million over our highest paid player in danny briere. flyers should have put in an offer sheet here, this is a disgrace that he even accepted that bogus contract. i mean hometown discount is one thing but that is beyond fishy. i wouldnt put it against the brass in the NHL to send out a memo telling to other gm's to back off so that tampa doesnt lose its young star. they are so content with hockey in florida. bottom line, the flyers should have made an offer of an 8 years 70 mil range (minimum) to at least make sure that tampa doesnt get a steal like this. i know that i will get shit and the obvious questions like who would they move and bla bla bla but this kid is a stud and now a rival has him at a discounted and very affordable and worthy contract. /rant

I just don't get the point of RFA's if nobody ever puts in offer sheets.

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
see i dont know about things like this, someone with more knowledge of their cba would have to chime in. BUT in keeping with just legality of the whole thing, you would assume that the team would have to be liable for paid bonuses under the salary cap constraints.

but as i said, tampa is yet another struggling franchise in the south and they actually have stars on their teams. it wouldnt surprise me one bit if they swept this very suspicious contract under the rug to try and maintain a fan base down there.

I'm pretty sure that bonuses do count against the cap. For example, if a player has a good year this season and makes bonuses then those bonuses count against the cap the next year. At least, that's my understanding of it. Bonuses are the reason the Flyers are back to being butt up against the cap.

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I just don't get the point of RFA's if nobody ever puts in offer sheets.

well thats what is so fishy to me, how in the hell did not one single team put an offer sheet in?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bonsuses this year count straight up, because they cant count as 'cap penalties' next season if the team were to go over (which is what fucked over the hawks, toews winning the conn smythe gave him a huge bonus that put them over the spending cap).. since they have to re-do the CBA next summer.. that's why schenn counts as 3 mil when his real contract is like 900k..

and i'm more educated guessing here, but i think incentives and bonuses are only tied to EL contracts..

as for the stamkos contract.. i dont think its fishy at all.. teams are afraid to try to poach RFA players because its too risky.. the only teams that would be willing to give up 4 1sts for stamkos are right at the cap and would have to move other assets to fit in his contract.. plus you are tied up for a week if you offer sheet him waiting to see if they match while other players get signed.. plus even if tampa matches they are pissed at you for making them pay more, and when JvR is the big name RFA next offseason they offer something crazy for him to make the flyers over pay or lose one of their prized young guys..

as for stamkos signing at 7.5 mil for 5 years, since nobody is willing to risk an offer sheet he doesn't have much leverage other than holding out / sitting out a year.. he agreed to a 7.5 mil contract because it was for 5 years.. it was exactly the opposite of how most contracts are done now.. the longer his contract, the more he wanted to make.. but the limit was 5 years, because in 5 years he will be UFA and can pick where he plays.. so for the next 5 years (probably a little less because tampa will trade him rather than lose him for nothing) the bolts have the cap space to be competitive.. so while he suffers in a non-hockey market, at least they will be competitive

stamkos' contract doesn't surprise me at all