• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2022 - 2023 Offseason Thread

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You would have to have a guy like Porter available and one like Rocker. That might be hard to have line up again.
I think you're right that was probably a once in a lifetime thing, I'm looking at the possibilities all wrong :L

There is nobody from last year in Kumar's position (at least nobody I think they would take that high) and Porter fell because of his bonus demands IIRC...

But on the other hand Jenkins has had injury issues in the past so would he be worth full slot money if he were selected???

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're right that was probably a once in a lifetime thing, I'm looking at the possibilities all wrong :L

There is nobody from last year in Kumar's position (at least nobody I think they would take that high) and Porter fell because of his bonus demands IIRC...

But on the other hand Jenkins has had injury issues in the past so would he be worth full slot money if he were selected???
Seems like HS guys are more likely to get full slot unless it is severe and he really needs the money quick

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So yeah I think this year we probably do not go under slot and just get the best player available which might be Jenkins

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So yeah I think this year we probably do not go under slot and just get the best player available which might be Jenkins
I really like Jenkins now, but then again, I really liked Chase DeLauter at this time last year. Eventually, that changed to Termarr Johnson.

I guess I will always be interested to follow the careers of DeLauter, Termarr and Melendez since I really wanted those guys to be taken by the Rangers so badly in last yser's draft, at various times.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like Jenkins now, but then again, I really liked Chase DeLauter at this time last year. Eventually, that changed to Termarr Johnson.

I guess I will always be interested to follow the careers of DeLauter, Termarr and Melendez since I really wanted those guys to be taken by the Rangers so badly in last yser's draft, at various times.
Yeah that is the interesting part of baseball. Tracking guys targeted. I liked Johnson too.
Thinking we prefer not to get a pitcher this year but who knows

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Jeff Wilson:

How much relief?
The Rangers haven't put a number on how many relievers they hope to acquire this offseason, though they do plan to add.

Manager Bruce Bochy said he'd like a piece at the back end to help ensure that there's always a fresh arm available for a save situation. He also likes multi-inning relievers, and Bochy likes the options already on the roster (right-hander Jake Odorizzi and left-handers Brock Burke and Taylor Hearn).

Jose Leclerc is in line to be the closer, with Jonathan Hernandez and Joe Barlow setting him up.

Brett Martin looks as if he will return to the middle innings and would be a nice left-handed pitcher used early/or late.

That leaves one spot for what Bochy would want.

A few caveats:

Half of the players in that bullpen scenario can be optioned to the minor leagues. That's critical on the injury front.

The rotation is a tweaked oblique from needing Odorozzi. That could result in Glenn Otto coming up or Bochy and pitching coach Mike Maddux having to find a reliever in the minors to fill in.

The guess here is that Young will add two relievers to the bullpen, again creating more depth in the minors.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, it makes a lot more sense to bring Otto up to start if there is an injury to a starting pitcher. Why move Odorizzi into the rotation when he isn't stretched out and can only give you 3 innings? At this point, Otto is probably a better starting pitcher than Odorizzi anyway.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also from Jeff Wilson:

But the Rangers haven't even announced a report date for pitchers and catchers yet. The Super Bowl is in Glendale this year, and most available rental homes and hotels are sold out until Feb. 13.

But the headline-grabbing additions are probably done, barring a trade for a left fielder. The Rangers need bullpen help and depth at Triple A Round Rock, and they could also sign a couple potential utility infielders and catching depth.

Most of that will transpire before the start of spring training, though the Rangers have made it a trend to add players early in camp on non-roster deals. Last year shouldn't really count, as the owners and players were coming out of a lockout and rushing to get spring training started and players signed.

Martin Perez, for example, signed after camp started.

In 2021, it was right-hander Ian Kennedy after camp started in Surprise and utility infielder Brock Holt days before it started.

There have been others throughout the years, including front-line players Ian Desmond (2016) and Mike Napoli (2017).

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Jeff Wilson:

How much relief?
The Rangers haven't put a number on how many relievers they hope to acquire this offseason, though they do plan to add.

Manager Bruce Bochy said he'd like a piece at the back end to help ensure that there's always a fresh arm available for a save situation. He also likes multi-inning relievers, and Bochy likes the options already on the roster (right-hander Jake Odorizzi and left-handers Brock Burke and Taylor Hearn).

Jose Leclerc is in line to be the closer, with Jonathan Hernandez and Joe Barlow setting him up.

Brett Martin looks as if he will return to the middle innings and would be a nice left-handed pitcher used early/or late.

That leaves one spot for what Bochy would want.

A few caveats:

Half of the players in that bullpen scenario can be optioned to the minor leagues. That's critical on the injury front.

The rotation is a tweaked oblique from needing Odorozzi. That could result in Glenn Otto coming up or Bochy and pitching coach Mike Maddux having to find a reliever in the minors to fill in.

The guess here is that Young will add two relievers to the bullpen, again creating more depth in the minors.
Wonder about Chase Lee too

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, it makes a lot more sense to bring Otto up to start if there is an injury to a starting pitcher. Why move Odorizzi into the rotation when he isn't stretched out and can only give you 3 innings? At this point, Otto is probably a better starting pitcher than Odorizzi anyway.
Doubt if Odorizzi is going to start or be a back up starter.
Really counting on unproven if your 3 late innings winning pieces are the 3 mentioned

We shall see. JW does not mention trades. To me this is best shot/likelihood to add a frontline reliever at this point

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doubt if Odorizzi is going to start or be a back up starter.
Really counting on unproven if your 3 late innings winning pieces are the 3 mentioned

We shall see. JW does not mention trades. To me this is best shot/likelihood to add a frontline reliever at this point
I think they are waiting out the relief market to see if there is a reliever or two who will sign cheaper than some of the ones who have signed already.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard that the Rangers are the only team ranked in the top 15 of the Power Rankings that finished below .500 last year.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do we really need him back? Only if it means sending Howard to mars.
Ha I doubt it happens either way. Our best bet losing Howard is picking up a reliever.
Maybe he is included in a trade

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, I think Howard is here to stay. I imagine he will be converted to a reliever.