• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2021 - 2022 Offseason Thread

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More tools but seems like he did not perform much better than IKF. Not interested

Same could be said about Trevor Story though

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There’s been a few reports with us getting Story.
There’s been a few with us getting Seager.
There’s been a few with us targeting 2 of the short stops this winter.

I know they don’t mean Jack.

But, if we were to sign Seager and Story would it make sense to move Jung to 2B. With story at SS and Seager at 3B. After a few years Seager could move to 1B, Lowe to DH, Story to 3B and hopefully one of our SS prospects will be ready.

If that was to happen we would have IKF, Ibanez, and Solak as trade bait. Also there would be prospects with no room.. like Foscue, Josh Smith, Duran, Wendzel, Hauver and Apostel.
Do we look to make some trade packages with these guys for more young controllable pieces?
Like a LF and a SP

I would hope Acuna, Acosta or Cauley would blossom into our SS around 2024-2025 which is why i didn’t include them.

I get Smith or Duran could be moved to CF but we could also have Taveras turn it around or Bubba Thompson or Evan Carter come on strong. Or we could sign or trade for a guy later. Or draft him this year (Elijah Green or Druw Jones)
Or that’s who we could trade for a cf with 4-5 years left

Just a thought

Last edited:

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same could be said about Trevor Story though
Baez is a bit of a free swinger and not as good defensively. He does hit HRs but I still prefer Story. Fangraphs likes Baez. And yes he is much better offensively than IKF. Just think we need a bigger upgrade there

Reactions: DTC

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok to dream to get two big signings but let’s get one first. Sure we will need another big signing next year too

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Evan Grant about three young pitchers working this fall. White, Roby and Vanasco.

“It would be hard not to be excited with the developments of those three,” said assistant GM Ross Fenstermaker, who oversees player development. “To see all three of them healthy, showing top-end stuff is an incredibly exciting way to finish the year out. ... They are all advanced in different ways, but they are major league caliber arms. They will tell us how fast they want to move.”

It’s not a stretch to think that at least one of these guys — Vanasco — might be in the Rangers rotation by the end of 2022 and another by 2023. At the very least, having all three of them healthy for the start of next year is likely to vault the Rangers into the top 10 among organizational talent rankings. You don’t get a ring for it, but it’s nice to be thought of highly.

There is little question they have extraordinary ability. But first things first: Simply getting the feel back for pitching. It’s been a long road for all three. White, drafted in the second round in 2018, was held back from pitching his first year as part of the Rangers’ “deload” experiment that ended with a pile of injuries. In White’s case, that was a torn ligament in his elbow in the spring of 2019. Then came the pandemic. And when he finally got his first professional start at Class A Down East this season, he punctuated a poor fielding play by doing a “Hulk” smash of the ground that led to a fracture and sidelined him for all but the final six weeks of the season.
“It was a lesson,” White said. “I learned not to let my teammates down. It didn’t just hurt me; it hurt everybody around me. I let myself and the organization down.”

“We weren’t mad at him, per se,” said Paul Kruger, who is transitioning from minor league director to director of baseball operations. “But, we were frustrated for him. It ended up being a good learning experience. He’s talked to our younger guys. He’s talked about controlling what you can control and limiting the negative energies.”

For Vanasco, 23, and Roby, 20, the instructional league has been about simply getting back to pitching.

Last edited:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Evan Grant about three young pitchers working this fall. White, Roby and Vanasco.

“It would be hard not to be excited with the developments of those three,” said assistant GM Ross Fenstermaker, who oversees player development. “To see all three of them healthy, showing top-end stuff is an incredibly exciting way to finish the year out. ... They are all advanced in different ways, but they are major league caliber arms. They will tell us how fast they want to move.”

It’s not a stretch to think that at least one of these guys — Vanasco — might be in the Rangers rotation by the end of 2022 and another by 2023. At the very least, having all three of them healthy for the start of next year is likely to vault the Rangers into the top 10 among organizational talent rankings. You don’t get a ring for it, but it’s nice to be thought of highly.

There is little question they have extraordinary ability. But first things first: Simply getting the feel back for pitching. It’s been a long road for all three. White, drafted in the second round in 2018, was held back from pitching his first year as part of the Rangers’ “deload” experiment that ended with a pile of injuries. In White’s case, that was a torn ligament in his elbow in the spring of 2019. Then came the pandemic. And when he finally got his first professional start at Class A Down East this season, he punctuated a poor fielding play by doing a “Hulk” smash of the ground that led to a fracture and sidelined him for all but the final six weeks of the season.
“It was a lesson,” White said. “I learned not to let my teammates down. It didn’t just hurt me; it hurt everybody around me. I let myself and the organization down.”

“We weren’t mad at him, per se,” said Paul Kruger, who is transitioning from minor league director to director of baseball operations. “But, we were frustrated for him. It ended up being a good learning experience. He’s talked to our younger guys. He’s talked about controlling what you can control and limiting the negative energies.”

For Vanasco, 23, and Roby, 20, the instructional league has been about simply getting back to pitching.
It sounds like their ETA fits in with my blueprint.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anyone stand out?

Zavala singled. That was the highlight of the evening for the Rangers squad through 7, which is when I left.

Edit: actually there was a RP that looked decent but his name escapes me at the moment.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jeff Wilson reports:

The Texas Rangers are moving closer to hiring a farm director, major-league sources said, and they could have an announcement this week.
The sources confirmed that the Rangers have interviewed
former coach Josh Bonifay for the position and that he remains a candidate. Bonifay is the director of player development for the Philadelphia Phillies.
Thursday marks a travel day for the World Series, and teams typically release news on World Series off days. The next off day would be Monday.
Bonifay was the major-league field coordinator for the Rangers in 2017 on manager Jeff Banister’s staff. Bonifay came to the Rangers after several seasons coaching in the Houston Astros system, and he returned there in 2018 as a minor-league coordinator.

The Phillies hire him after the 2018 season.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zavala singled. That was the highlight of the evening for the Rangers squad through 7, which is when I left.

Edit: actually there was a RP that looked decent but his name escapes me at the moment.
Does one of these names ring a bell?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think both Vanasco and Roby will be pitching tomorrow at TCU. I look forward to seeing them.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In Baseball America's Prospect Report today they highlighted "Five Hitters Impressing in Arizona." One was our own Ezequiel Duran.

Ezequiel Duran, 2B/SS, Rangers — Duran went 0-for-5 in his first two AFL games. In the six games since, he's 15-for-28. He has multiple hits in each of those games and extra-base hit in each of those contests as well. His ledger on Thursday included a 2-for-5 mark with a double and two runs. He leads the AFL in triples, total bases and extra-base hits.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha
Why? Just curious
did you read what the Chicago Cubs and the press said about him? the cubs could get rid of him fast enough. both him and Correra are on my no-go list

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adolis Garcia isn't a finalist for the Gold Glove Award. Apparently splitting his time between two positions hurt him. This is from Jef Wilson.

Garcia finished tied for the MLB lead in outfield assists (16) with Boston Red Sox right fielder Hunter Renfro, who is a finalist there along with Joey Gallo and Kyle Tucker of the Houston Astros. Gallo, of course, spent most of the season with the Rangers.

The problem for Garcia is that he split his time between center field and right field, becoming the right fielder after Gallo was traded to the New York Yankees. Garcia played 79 games in center, with seven assists, and 51 in right field with the other nine assists and an MLB-best 13 defensive runs saved.

Renfro played 138 games in right field. Gallo, who had 12 defensive runs saved, played 92 games there.

Another problem for Garcia? Voting shifted a few years back from simply selecting three outfielders regardless of position to naming a winner at each position. Maybe in the good old days of the early 2010s Garcia would have won a Gold Glove this year.

He remains a front-runner for the Baseball Writers Association of America’s rookie award, which will be announced Nov. 8. Ryan Mountcastle of the Baltimore Orioles was selected as Outstanding Rookie in the Players Choice awards.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does one of these names ring a bell?

Bratt the starter looked OK. Roby was the RP that looked decent. Almost all of the infielders played sloppy. Wind was blowing in so every fly ball died. Baylor has a stout team; they looked good last season and I'm betting they're better this season.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adolis Garcia isn't a finalist for the Gold Glove Award. Apparently splitting his time between two positions hurt him. This is from Jef Wilson.

Garcia finished tied for the MLB lead in outfield assists (16) with Boston Red Sox right fielder Hunter Renfro, who is a finalist there along with Joey Gallo and Kyle Tucker of the Houston Astros. Gallo, of course, spent most of the season with the Rangers.

The problem for Garcia is that he split his time between center field and right field, becoming the right fielder after Gallo was traded to the New York Yankees. Garcia played 79 games in center, with seven assists, and 51 in right field with the other nine assists and an MLB-best 13 defensive runs saved.

Renfro played 138 games in right field. Gallo, who had 12 defensive runs saved, played 92 games there.

Another problem for Garcia? Voting shifted a few years back from simply selecting three outfielders regardless of position to naming a winner at each position. Maybe in the good old days of the early 2010s Garcia would have won a Gold Glove this year.

He remains a front-runner for the Baseball Writers Association of America’s rookie award, which will be announced Nov. 8. Ryan Mountcastle of the Baltimore Orioles was selected as Outstanding Rookie in the Players Choice awards.

Gallo is also up for the silver slugger at DH - where he played less than 20 games.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bratt the starter looked OK. Roby was the RP that looked decent. Almost all of the infielders played sloppy. Wind was blowing in so every fly ball died. Baylor has a stout team; they looked good last season and I'm betting they're better this season.

Also should mention that the hitters looked pretty overmatched against the Baylor starter.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also should mention that the hitters looked pretty overmatched against the Baylor starter.
So wonder if this is a guy we should keep our eye on