• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2021 - 2022 Offseason Thread

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just use what I gave you, that's enough to make a decision...

Just assume their other stats are the same...

If OBP, Defense and RBI are the same I would say it’s a wash..

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1-0 Stro's

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If OBP, Defense and RBI are the same I would say it’s a wash..
OK but since the one guy has less power than the other and less likely to be driving in runs in 3s and 4s it only seems plausible that he is driving in runs in more situations/games than the guy with more power. He also is probably getting on base more often because of his higher average so it makes sense that he's also starting/continuing more rallies and scoring more runs. To me this makes the latter guy a more steady player than the other because he's more involved in the offense on a regular basis, and odds are he's also performing better in the clutch too. HRs are fun to watch but not necessarily more conducive to helping the team win games. Sometimes only a couple wins/losses make all in the difference in if the team plays in Oct or goes on vacation early...

Reactions: DTC

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK but since the one guy has less power than the other and less likely to be driving in runs in 3s and 4s it only seems plausible that he is driving in runs in more situations/games than the guy with more power. He also is probably getting on base more often because of his higher average so it makes sense that he's also starting/continuing more rallies and scoring more runs. To me this makes the latter guy a more steady player than the other because he's more involved in the offense on a regular basis, and odds are he's also performing better in the clutch too. HRs are fun to watch but not necessarily more conducive to helping the team win games. Sometimes only a couple wins/losses make all in the difference in if the team plays in Oct or goes on vacation early...

That does make sense to me. I thought along the same lines, but if they both have the same RBI and same OBP its kind of a wash in my eyes. But maybe the guy with 25hrs is better?

Andrew Mccutchen was the .222 hitter this year with 27 HR and 80 RBI. Charlie Blackmon was the .270 with 13 HRs and 78 RBI.
Blackmon had a .351 OBP vs Mccutchens .334..
I might lean toward Blackmon being the better player. But a closer look and Mccutchen has a 107 wRC+ vs Blackmons 94. So Mccutchen is 13% better at run production on offense than Blackmon.
Also Mccutchen had an offense bWAR of 2.1
Blackmon had an offense bWAR of 1.3

They’re pretty much the only 2 players to compare in this scenario.
Didn’t pick these two for any other reason other than they had the particular profile we were looking for.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That does make sense to me. I thought along the same lines, but if they both have the same RBI and same OBP its kind of a wash in my eyes. But maybe the guy with 25hrs is better?

Andrew Mccutchen was the .222 hitter this year with 27 HR and 80 RBI. Charlie Blackmon was the .270 with 13 HRs and 78 RBI.
Blackmon had a .351 OBP vs Mccutchens .334..
I might lean toward Blackmon being the better player. But a closer look and Mccutchen has a 107 wRC+ vs Blackmons 94. So Mccutchen is 13% better at run production on offense than Blackmon.
Also Mccutchen had an offense bWAR of 2.1
Blackmon had an offense bWAR of 1.3

They’re pretty much the only 2 players to compare in this scenario.
Didn’t pick these two for any other reason other than they had the particular profile we were looking for.
It is really a very unrealistic scenario. It is hard to imagine two players having every other statistic and their defensive prowess being exactly the same. The chances of having everything except BA, and HR to be exactly the same would be extremely low, especially when those two stats are so different.

Reactions: DTC

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol. You can't have it both ways.
This is about concepts not about what some want to think reality is, so they're arguing the game can't be better than what it is... :L

Higher BA means more hits if both players have same amount of PA. The whole point is one player is probably being more consistent offensively over the course of the season than the other, he has more to offer/contribute in more games. A simple concept that has been preached by coaches and players for as long as the game has been around...

I'm well aware of how much the game has changed and not for the better. Consistency isn't valued anymore it's either hit a bomb or K and go sit on the bench and play with your towel, sharpie or phone. It makes the game a bore fest at times and they're paying players very big bucks to be involved offensively in only about 25% of the games and disappear the rest :tsk:

In the end it's all about wins and losses and what players contribute to winning and which ones don't, sometimes stats don't tell the whole story... :nod:

Last edited:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is about concepts not about what some want to think reality is, so they're arguing the game can't be better than what it is... :L

Higher BA means more hits if both players have same amount of PA. The whole point is one player is probably being more consistent offensively over the course of the season than the other, he has more to offer/contribute in more games. A simple concept that has been preached by coaches and players for as long as the game has been around...

I'm well aware of how much the game has changed and not for the better. Consistency isn't valued anymore it's either hit a bomb or K and go sit on the bench and play with your towel, sharpie or phone. It makes the game a bore fest at times and they're paying players very big bucks to be involved offensively in only about 25% of the games and disappear the rest :tsk:

In the end it's all about wins and losses and what players contribute to winning and which ones don't, sometimes stats don't tell the whole story... :nod:
I was saying all the other stats can't be the same if one is getting on base more. OBP would be higher for the guy getting on base more, by definition. Therefore, you can't have it both ways.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3